My story as an Unemployed Pharmacist with Residency, experience, solid network

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you found a job yet? There is a position in Missouri if you are interested

Members don't see this ad.

You need to stop making excuses and move off the east coast (and no, not to Cali). You can complain about how you can't find work despite being the most magic of unicorns but there are plenty of jobs. Most of these thread have a common theme which alway gets a pass (besides by Mike) which is the absolute refusal to move to a place with jobs. You could get a job tomorrow, if you were willing move

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread makes me sad for our profession but it's a wake up call of everyone. I will be graduating next year. I would like to stay close to my family and friends but I also have to be realistic. If I have to move, then I will. Hoping for the best.

I had to relocate to a rural area in Oregon few months ago to land an offer. Now, this area, though being rural and remote, is really saturated and no openings in the chains at all. Days ago I saw a recently graduated pharmD looking for a job and he has been trying for few months with no luck. The east coast is even worse. I hope I can pay my debt as soon as possible and just get the hell out of this career. I'm thinking of joining a PA program.

I'm thinking the same thing :thumbup: I'm scheduling an appointment with my school's PA program director.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same thing :thumbup: I'm scheduling an appointment with my school's PA program director.

PAs and doctors have to touch patients and potentially do things like rectal digital exams. I'll pass! Somehow, being a dentist sounds more appealing, if you're looking for another medical profession.

Yup, mikey was without a job for what seemed like forever :scared:

Well, to be fair, I really only looked HARD for like 4-5 months being that WVU made my wife go to rotations all over the effing region because they hate me (my theory, unproven.) But I was out of the game for a year total. But in the end we both have jobs on the East Coast in a major metro. I'm pretty happy. I found at the time that multiple positions were available in Texas. In fact, I was about to move to Tyler, TX in late 2010, but got a last second offer in Philly.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, I really only looked HARD for like 4-5 months being that WVU made my wife go to rotations all over the effing region because they hate me (my theory, unproven.) But I was out of the game for a year total. But in the end we both have jobs on the East Coast in a major metro. I'm pretty happy. I found at the time that multiple positions were available in Texas. In fact, I was about to move to Tyler, TX in late 2010, but got a last second offer in Philly.

I think Philly is a bit better than Tyler, TX. Real question is would you have moved to Pittsburgh if the offer was there (same pay, etc)?

I think Philly is a bit better than Tyler, TX. Real question is would you have moved to Pittsburgh if the offer was there (same pay, etc)?

Absolutely. I actually think Pittsburgh is a great city to live in. Just stay the eff away from the Pitt campus. And the McKeesport/Homewood area.

You need to stop making excuses and move off the east coast (and no, not to Cali). You can complain about how you can't find work despite being the most magic of unicorns but there are plenty of jobs. Most of these thread have a common theme which alway gets a pass (besides by Mike) which is the absolute refusal to move to a place with jobs. You could get a job tomorrow, if you were willing move

Where in the US are there a lot of pharmacy jobs, but are also top locations for young single people who like to party. The East Coast and Cali are out. What about Houston and Austin?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the situation presented here is more of an exception and not the norm. I say this by meaning that pharmacists with as much experience in a health care system shouldn't have as hard a time landing a job opposed to a new grad with no experience and no residency. I am sure there were extenuating factors that complicated WVU's search that he now realizes. Congrats by the way on finally finding something.

I am originally from Chicago (graduated in 2009) and I know that the market there is super saturated. People are not exagerrating. Out of curiosity I always look at the job pages of the major medical systems up there. I see only a couple openings....most of which are clinical/specialty positions requiring a PGY-1/2 or ALOT of experience.

I was fortunate to land a hospital job in Southern Florida, another supposedly saturated area. Since then I have worked at two more hospitals (one fulltime, another PRN)and maintained another PRN job with a hospice pharmacy. This is in addition to another full time job offer that I turned down. Most of these opportunities have come along by networking.

I guess the point of my post is that the job market is tight but not impossible. Being flexible with location and shifts help alot. I currently work at a hospital in Miami and we were trying to fill 2 clinical positions for almost 6 months. We either had no qualified applicants (one was an ER position) or the applicants wanted more money and turned down the offer. We were also just hired a new night shift pharmacist.

Anyhoo, I am grateful to have a job I like. i am also grateful to have PRN work on the side to diversify my CV and give me a little extra spending money. I am a single guy with no kids so I can work crazy hours. I guess if the pre-pharmacy crowd is expecting a cushy 9-5 M-F type deal are going to be very disappointed.

Where in the US are there a lot of pharmacy jobs, but are also top locations for young single people who like to party. The East Coast and Cali are out. What about Houston and Austin?
In Houston, "saturated" is an understatement.

If you get super lucky, you get to become PIC right out of school. Yay for being super responsible for your techs' and pharmacy's licensing, inventory, and patient load right from the getgo!

Hey, it's better than being unemployed, I guess...

I will say, being in South Texas for the past (almost) 3 years, there are plenty of jobs on the border and the in the rest of the Rio Grande Valley, paying REAL good money still. Yet who would want to live at the border between the US and Mexico? (High risk, high reward here... it's not too bad, actually, just don't cross the border accidentally :/)

As far as a comment made about c/o 2014 suffering with lack of jobs, it'll be 2015 and on that will be dealing with that. 2014 will probably be the last high-success class in terms of jobs. Of course, it's about how you market yourself, so...

Good luck to all of us!

Stay away from the South East. South Florida is done!

Getting a job in Austin is like getting a job in NYC or Philly. Nepotism/personal favors...or no chance.

Same in Miami.

Something needs to be said about relocating. The answer to one's employment troubles isn't as simple as "shut up and move".

It takes money to move. I graduated May 2012 and I'm still without employment. I wrote about this earlier . I currently reside in Miami. Yes, I know. Miami is unsurprisingly saturated. I'm here, however, due to finances. My rotations left me broke. No money what-so-ever. And I needed to stay with family since I can not afford rent.

Employers are spending absolutely no money on relocation assistance. I recently had an interview with a retail chain that asked if I was willing to relocate to which I said "yes". I asked if they gave employees any assistance, the answer was "no". The interview instantly ended after that exchange.

I've read through many pharmacy threads enunciating employment woes and the most common advice is "move!". It is not that simple. Recently, I scheduled a few interviews in the middle of nowhere Florida in the hopes that if I got hired perhaps I can scrape some money together to afford first and last month rent should I get hired. These interviews didn't even happen; the managers hired pharmacist for the position before I could sit and interview for them! I obviously need to move, correct? And I think it's also obvious that I need to move to another state due to market saturation.

I've made plans to obtain two other licenses. This of course is going to cost more money. Eventually one has to do a cost/benefit analysis and determine if continued effort is worth it. I'm moving to live with family in another state. I will enroll in community college to work on credits for a career shift if I can't find employment as I can't afford to pay for license after license to move to areas with uncertain hiring prospects. It's ridiculous.

This mini-rant wasn't directed at you. I just wanted to comment on the notion of moving. It just isn't that simple.

Last edited:

Same in Miami.

Something needs to be said about relocating. The answer to one's employment troubles isn't as simple as "shut up and move".

It takes money to move. I graduated May 2012 and I'm still without employment. I wrote about this earlier . I currently reside in Miami. Yes, I know. Miami is unsurprisingly saturated. I'm here, however, due to finances. My rotations left me broke. No money what-so-ever. And I needed to stay with family since I can not afford rent.

Employers are spending absolutely no money on relocation assistance. I recently had an interview with a retail chain that asked if I was willing to relocate to which I said "yes". I asked if they gave employees any assistance, the answer was "no". The interview instantly ended after that exchange.

I've read through many pharmacy threads enunciating employment woes and the most common advice is "move!". It is not that simple. Recently, I scheduled a few interviews in the middle of nowhere Florida in the hopes that if I got hired perhaps I can scrape some money together to afford first and last month rent should I get hired. These interviews didn't even happen; the managers hired pharmacist for the position before I could sit and interview for them! I obviously need to move, correct? And I think it's also obvious that I need to move to another state due to market saturation.

I've made plans to obtain two other licenses. This of course is going to cost more money. Eventually one has to do a cost/benefit analysis and determine if continued effort is worth it. I'm moving to live with family in another state. I will enroll in community college to work on credits for a career shift if I can't find employment as I can't afford to pay for license after license to move to areas with uncertain hiring prospects. It's ridiculous.

This mini-rant wasn't directed at you. I just wanted to comment on the notion of moving. It just isn't that simple.

Oh Jesus. If you have to you just charge the money for the gas to go to the interview and you charge the hotel room. For god sakes take a pay day loan.

You really can't get anyone to bank roll you for an interview in rural Georgia?

Sometimes honestly, I think the couple of whiners here dig their own grave.

You are going to take community college classes? You are a pharmacist. There is some rural middle of nowhere place that will take you. I assure you of that.

Even though I would never tell anyone to enter our profession--- I think the whole woah is me I don't have gas money to drive to a job interview and am going to take community college classes is outrageous.

Edit: I read your EPIC UF post from last August. It was good. Keep praying. Ask for some gas money. Believe me, one day you will get an opportunity.

Last edited:

Same in Miami.

You don't move until after you have the job. If you were able to get a job somewhere, wouldn't you somehow then find a way to move to that place?

And relocation assistance still exists out there. You just need to find an employer who is that desperate.

...Even though I would never tell anyone to enter our profession--- I think the whole woah is me I don't have gas money to drive to a job interview and am going to take community college classes is outrageous...

I agree. It is outrageous. I am a pharmacist, damn it! I shouldn't have to ponder returning to school this early in the game. But, alas, that's what's going through my head. I past the woe-is-me phase about three months ago. A couple of months after writing my pharmacy commentary post I did go into a bit of depression. The thought of being unemployed after all that work seriously messed with me.

But I'm over it.

I'm now (attempting to) be pragmatic. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, so they say. I'm a 20-something year old without kids and I think it smart to plan my exodus from pharmacy while I'm still young and without real responsibilities. Ya' feel me?!

Speaking of being young and without kids. You'd think that would be a good thing. I recently had another interview in which the the position boiled down to a choice between me and an older pharmacist who was recently laid off. He had a house, a wife, and children. In my interview the hiring manager asked me repeatedly if I had plans on leaving Florida. I assured him I didn't. But he was obviously skeptical as he repeatedly said that he had no intentions of hiring pharmacist with ideations of moving after procuring a year or two of salary. It was between me and the recently laid off guy with a family to provide for. They went with him. lol.

You don't move until after you have the job. If you were able to get a job somewhere, wouldn't you somehow then find a way to move to that place?

And relocation assistance still exists out there. You just need to find an employer who is that desperate.

Agreed. First job, then move. And perhaps relocation assistance (if they offer it). I just have yet to find a employer desperate enough. I had another interview where the hiring manager was hesitant in hiring me because of the drive I would have to undertake to satisfy the floating requirements. I assured him that I would move to the area once I obtained enough money to leave my relative's house but he was convinced that I would complain about the amount of driving that I would have to do. I sometimes wonder if pharmacist had it so good in the past that they complained to their employers about such matters and now said employers are getting back at current job applicants. Who knows?! To your second point, yes, I assume that they would help relocate me if that desperate. Indeed, I do see some interesting job postings that I am currently unqualified for - they require more than a PharmD. That's part of the reason why I'm considering obtaining more education because, let's face it, a standard PharmD is (kinda) useless in this now saturated job market.

(edited for grammar)

Last edited:
t takes money to move. I graduated May 2012 and I'm still without employment.

Yes, moving is hard and it takes money but you have to accept the fact that you have to move. Class of 2013 is graduating soon and if you loans are in forbearance then soon you will have to start paying your student loans or you will default. If you do, your credit score is going down the tube and it will be on your record for 7 years. It may hurt your chance of getting a mortgage later on. In addition, your credit line is going to be slashed. If you have not done so already, sign up for creditkarma.com to monitor your credit score for free. It will also tell you how much money you owe in your student loans, car, credit card, etc. Again, it is free and it takes 15 mins to sign up. Good luck to you.

Yes, moving is hard and it takes money but you have to accept the fact that you have to move. Class of 2013 is graduating soon and if you loans are in forbearance then soon you will have to start paying your student loans or you will default. If you do, your credit score is going down the tube and it will be on your record for 7 years. It may hurt your chance of getting a mortgage later on. In addition, your credit line is going to be slashed. If you have not done so already, sign up for creditkarma.com to monitor your credit score for free. It will also tell you how much money you owe in your student loans, car, credit card, etc. Again, it is free and it takes 15 mins to sign up. Good luck to you.

Agreed. All true.

It's ok to default. The whole world is going to default. Don't kill yourself trying to pay back the unpayable.

Don't really understand why people would choose unemployment over moving debt. Unbelievable stuff.

It's ok to default. The whole world is going to default. Don't kill yourself trying to pay back the unpayable.

Not like you have a choice. You can't declare bankruptcy. You have to endure the constant phone calls, the wage garnishment. Even your social security is up for grabs.

The only things certain in life are death, taxes and student loans. Like taxes, you can never discharge student loans in bankrupt court.

In the 1980s, legislation were passed to make discharging student loans next to impossible to purposely stop medical professionals fresh from graduation who purposely stopped paying and defaulted on their medical school loans.

That's why the new batch of graduating pharmacists with ever higher amounts of loan will have a very tough time finding jobs and paying off their loans. No easy way to discharge a loan with a default like you can for a mortgage/housing loan.

Hey Hermes, don't give up hope about finding employment. I'm in a similiar situation.

I have the similar experiences and it is even worse than you and is still ongoing. After graduation in Dec,2012, I have been a homeless, jobless intern hanging around here for more than 6 months, despite doing a student placement in pharmacy for some experiences. Never expecting I would be in such a dilemma before I came here to study, I travelled most rural, remote towns or cities (nearly half of the Australia) in the past few months and most of the replys were "NOT Qualified for subsidary". I really have no idea how can I get registered without enough working hours or I have to give up and go back to my home country ?

I interned for Kroger my entire four years of pharmacy school and had a job locked in before I graduated. *shrug*

When I started my first year as a tech there were 3 interns from our class working in our kma. Now there are 7... And only 0-1 pharmacist positions available per year. I don't have plans to work for the company but those odds really aren't good. I don't think any of the other interns have even considered it either because I ask them and all of them are thinking they'll get hired on after.

When I started my first year as a tech there were 3 interns from our class working in our kma. Now there are 7... And only 0-1 pharmacist positions available per year. I don't have plans to work for the company but those odds really aren't good. I don't think any of the other interns have even considered it either because I ask them and all of them are thinking they'll get hired on after.

My KMA took in at least 20+ new grads this year. We were all hired on as floaters. The outlook for the class of 2014 does not look as promising. I would be surprised if half of them are hired, probably less.

The jobs are out there. God damn look. Don"t just send your resume online and fill out an app online and wait for a response.

You never mentioned what state your in.

On a good note, my hospital and others in the area have such a large pool of pharmacists to choose from for their staff positions that they are now demanding that the future staff pharmacist have a PharmD and at least 1 year or residency....so your ahead of the game in that respect.

I graduated high school in 2004.

Here's pretty much the factual statements about our profession:
1. Very few people find retail pharmacy rewarding (high pressure, low help, customers, etc)
2. More people find hospital pharmacy rewarding but even staffing positions are requiring years of experience or a PGY-1 residency
3. Clinical speciality jobs, which are very rare (<1% of our profession) nearly always require PGY-2 or >10 years experience.
4. 80% of the jobs are in retail pharmacy
5. The number of pharmacy schools has increased from ~80 in 2000 to ~130 in 2012. We are looking at ~50% more graduates than one decade ago.
6. Costs of pharmacy school are outrageous and almost always > $100K and nearing $200K for many students.
7. The pharmacist is the most expensive payroll expense for the retail pharmacies, who by law, hold fiduciary duty to their shareholders (ie: by law need to pay as little as possible)
8. Healthcare consumes http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_...ts-173-percent-of-gdp-in-largest-annual-jump/ 17% of our GDP. This is by all measures is unsubstainable. We pay twice as much as every other 1st-world country. This will eventually change.

So what am I doing? Paying off loans. Renting. Traveling the world when I can because when this musical chairs is over I want to at least know it was fun while it lasted.

:thumbup: could not have said it better myself

I am employed by the COP but HCA was begging me to work PRN during my PGY2 cause they can't hire anyone full time. Oh, HCA, how I love you so....

I can only recommendation HCA for people running out of other employment opportunities. HCA wants to low ball new hires, cut budget, do more with less. And when the service matrix scores falls as a result of the pharmacists being stretched thin? Have pharmacists spend more time to building better relationships with the staff and patients. Wait what?! :laugh: Oh the other hand, they are the 800 lb guerilla which command respect no matter what.

Last edited:
You never mentioned what state your in.

On a good note, my hospital and others in the area have such a large pool of pharmacists to choose from for their staff positions that they are now demanding that the future staff pharmacist have a PharmD and at least 1 year or residency....so your ahead of the game in that respect.

Market saturation and economic down turns tend to set a buyers market. The movement towards PGY-1 in hospitals is a positive force for hospitals IMO. In an acute care setting, the stakes are higher, a mistake by a newly grad who doesn't know what he/she's doing have much higher risk of causing a sentinel event than in an outpatient setting. Yes, it has the potential to be a divisive force in creating 2 tiers of pharmacists, but I rather play safe with more training/experience.

On the other hand, the weakest link in the whole acute care setting is still nursing. Sorry. There is very little that a pharmacist can do to stop a nurse from giving 100 units of SSI when even the least bit of common sense should telling you that taking THAT long to draw up SSI just isn't natural. P.S the patient survived... after 2 amps of D50, and oh the nurse naturally didn't report the incident, my pharmacist did when he was doing the ADR audit.

"On the other hand, the weakest link in the whole acute care setting is still nursing. Sorry. There is very little that a pharmacist can do to stop a nurse from giving 100 units of SSI when even the least bit of common sense should telling you that taking THAT long to draw up SSI just isn't natural. P.S the patient survived... after 2 amps of D50, and oh the nurse naturally didn't report the incident, my pharmacist did when he was doing the ADR audit. "

................................ agree. but a mistake like that can be picked up by a retail pharmacist who never steped inside a hospital pharmacy.

Sorry about that. I graduated in 1973 (5 yr. program) and was injured in a motor vehicle accident in 1998. Finally able to work part time in 2007 and worked for Rite Aid for about 9 months until they screwed me. Out of work for another 9 months (able to collect unemployment, at least) until an old student of mine surrendipidiouly (sp) found me and gave me a part time job. They the economy tanked, and FIFO. I've been looking for a job since March 2009 with absolutely no luck. Even tried to be a tech, but no one wanted to hire me, even at $20/hr.

I'm in NJ and can't move for several reasons. Just refinanced my mortgage, my wife is a teacher (25 years) and if we move, we'll lose a ton of money on the house, and she won't be able to work in another state unless she takes the PRAXIS, which is a whole lot harder than the NABPLEX. There are no jobs in NJ, PA, FL, CA. So what do you suggest I do? I'm 63, can't stand for more than 4 hours without sitting for 30 minutes (mucho herniated discs) and can't work full time.

The world would have been a whole lot better if either 5 year guys like me were grandfathered into Pharm D.'s or at least could just do clinical rotations part time to make up the last year. I just looked into becoming a Physician's Assistant. At $613 per credit for 54 credits (in-state tuition) and a 27 month long program, I can't afford it.

Just sayin'

Sorry about that. I graduated in 1973 (5 yr. program) and was injured in a motor vehicle accident in 1998. Finally able to work part time in 2007 and worked for Rite Aid for about 9 months until they screwed me. Out of work for another 9 months (able to collect unemployment, at least) until an old student of mine surrendipidiouly (sp) found me and gave me a part time job. They the economy tanked, and FIFO. I've been looking for a job since March 2009 with absolutely no luck. Even tried to be a tech, but no one wanted to hire me, even at $20/hr.

I'm in NJ and can't move for several reasons. Just refinanced my mortgage, my wife is a teacher (25 years) and if we move, we'll lose a ton of money on the house, and she won't be able to work in another state unless she takes the PRAXIS, which is a whole lot harder than the NABPLEX. There are no jobs in NJ, PA, FL, CA. So what do you suggest I do? I'm 63, can't stand for more than 4 hours without sitting for 30 minutes (mucho herniated discs) and can't work full time.

The world would have been a whole lot better if either 5 year guys like me were grandfathered into Pharm D.'s or at least could just do clinical rotations part time to make up the last year. I just looked into becoming a Physician's Assistant. At $613 per credit for 54 credits (in-state tuition) and a 27 month long program, I can't afford it.

Just sayin'

Sounds like you need a specific job. it would be difficult in any profession to find a specific job.

Sounds like it may be time for you to retire anyways. You haven't had a job in years, so obviously you are not hurting all that much financially. Time to go volunteer at your local zoo and be a docent.

Sounds like you need a specific job. it would be difficult in any profession to find a specific job.

Sounds like it may be time for you to retire anyways. You haven't had a job in years, so obviously you are not hurting all that much financially. Time to go volunteer at your local zoo and be a docent.

Lol.

Just sayin'

Sorry to say, if you are more than 50+ year old, you are screwed. Hiring practice based on age discrimination is real. I am not happy with a lot of older pharmacists as my partner either. They tend to suck, few are good.

Just sayin'

Ever think about long term care pharmacy? They usually sit down and do order entry all day.

I wish I didn't have to go through the process of finding a job alone. I basically have no one- my parents are gone, and no income. Sometimes I get so depressed, and I have to tell the student loan people next month what I am doing. If I end up losing everything like my house, I'm on my own. I've been calling around every day, and no pharmacy even has a job opening to apply to. It is a scary situation.

I wish I didn't have to go through the process of finding a job alone. I basically have no one- my parents are gone, and no income. Sometimes I get so depressed, and I have to tell the student loan people next month what I am doing. If I end up losing everything like my house, I'm on my own. I've been calling around every day, and no pharmacy even has a job opening to apply to. It is a scary situation.

Where do you live and where can you move?

I am a new grad just got licensed. I recently moved to East coast(northern Virginia/DC) and the market is saturated. I have retail experience but there is no job openings in retail. The ones that are available are 3-4 hours far. I am terrified because just like anyone else I have student loans and living in this area is not cheap. If anyone is in this area and could help with job market, I would really appreciate it.

I am a new grad just got licensed. I recently moved to East coast(northern Virginia/DC) and the market is saturated. I have retail experience but there is no job openings in retail. The ones that are available are 3-4 hours far. I am terrified because just like anyone else I have student loans and living in this area is not cheap. If anyone is in this area and could help with job market, I would really appreciate it.

Move. Nobody likes to hear that, but your best option is to get a job in the middle of nowhere, get experience, and possibly in several years, you will be able to get a job and move back to the place you want to live.

the OP was in a dire situation and pleaded ppl not to go off topic. are ppl really that cruel?

The OP probably found a job by now. But I always thought worse case scenario if I cant find a job after graduation and student loans are going to default, Id join a military branch. You wont be making 100k/year but at least they will take care of your student loans, provide housing, and its only a 4 year commitment.

the OP was in a dire situation and pleaded ppl not to go off topic. are ppl really that cruel?

Some people like to throw their weight around and say ridiculous things like how they are paying pharmacist rate for grad interns, just to get people (young naive females) to PM them LOL

The OP probably found a job by now. But I always thought worse case scenario if I cant find a job after graduation and student loans are going to default, Id join a military branch. You wont be making 100k/year but at least they will take care of your student loans, provide housing, and its only a 4 year commitment.

I don't think the military is as generous to pharmacists anymore.