MY STORY IN INDIA....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anjali1995

Be the change you wish to see in this world
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR ANY INDIANS WHO ARE STUDYING PREMEDICINE.UNDERGRADUATE COURSE RIGHT NOW AND HAS A GOAL LIKE MINE TO DO FREE SERVICE TO THE POOR OF OUR COUNTRY; AFTER FINISHING THEIR COURSE...IF I MEET SOME ONE WHO IS THINKING EXACTLY LIKE THIS..I AM REALLY LUCKY...HOPEFULLY SOME ONE WHO READ THIS ...UTLEAST ONE PERSON....MIGHT HAVE THIS SAME GOAL!!!

IT WAS JULY 25TH 2012...I graduated from high school n america..I went to India to study medicine…As a teenager the only reason I took that decision was because I thought I can complete the course in 5 years…According to my matchurity level at that point;that was the only reason I had in my mind…I dint know the meaning of the word DEDICATION or GOAL when I first came to india…INDIA showed me the real world,how to face the society,problems and especially taught me the meaning of this big word DEDICATION …I started my college in the month on august;staying in hostel…Everything changed …it was like a new world….When i first went to college the first thing I remember RAGGING..i remember how seniors asked me and this other NRI himaja to say jonny jonnie yes papa rhyme…in our American accent,how I had to play badminton with an imaginary racket,writing my selfdetails,singing ecg rhytm without opening my mouth humming(when I had no idea what ecg was),trying to dance…time when seniors woke me up at 12.30am and batting started again…and later they said its just interaction between senior and junior..it wasn’t really bad…I guess I enjoyed ragging frankly..but it was really hard being a NRI to call senior students as SIR AND MAM..or even professors(when I was n US we go by mr/ms) it was just so odd to me esp. calling senior students as sir and mam..and most of the times I forget and they ask me where is my respect?i had no idea that I was supposed to apolozize them eighter until the senior told me…one strange feeling for some days in the beginning of college….There were 3 NRI girls in our batch..reshma,himaja and me.. for all of us it was like a new world…later on time passed by met new friends at that point I fealt like nothing matters except friends,later on friends started ignoring me,later on every one hang out in groups as they got closer,I had no clue which group I was in…but I tried to talk to every one just like life in america…but later I realized people in india divide in groups and basically talk to u if ur in their group kinda thing….i was just so confused…about some of them ignoring me…I remember those days when ravindra anna took me and sujitha near reading room and how our ragging went by…when he asked me my hobbies,my smart answer garderning,hoping if I say singing or dancing he might tell me to do so…but unfortunately he told me go pull grass outside…m glad he was joking…tears ran through my eyes…don’t know why but I was really scared.ofcouse it’s a new life,everything is so different…later on roommates,how all 3 roommates were together talking and I fealt like I was all alone faced many problms with roommates in hostel whre I almost changed 3 rooms and finally got sneha akka…a senior…I was really lucky to get her and was so happy …she happened to be my family frnd..until october adjusting with people facing problms with roommates,homesick feeling,everything got set by November…UNFORTUNATLY exams,my scores were really low…compared to others..i didn’t know why it was so hard…living my life with multiple choice in America nd all in sudden writing pages and memorizing it was just one of the hardest thing for me…but slowly I got used to it…Sneha akka helped me for internal exams but every time I went to exam it was that question on the paper I decided to skip while studying…nd my badluck that same questions appears on the question paper…when I look at the girl in front of me she keeps writing,the guy behind me he is so into it that he keeps writing even after time is up..they writing so fast that they are sacred if they ll run out of time…and I was in a situation whre I had an hour left..waiting for the bell to ring….staring at the question paper…my internal exams went the worst…of the whole class….i ve wondered why people tell they don’t study but they actually study 24hours ,ace the exam and get top scores…..i remember my EVERY SUNDAY MORNING BENCH!! TIMES when i sat there alone no matter what every sunday morning...WITH MY COFFEE...LISTENING TO MUSIC...I used to sit there utleast HALF N HOUR nd take some time thinking about MYSELF...but i didn't realise at that point how much time i was wasting?? There were days when i was sitting there alone & i fealt so HOMESICK..when most of the hostlers PARENTS CAME to visit their children..they used to park their cars in front of that bench...on that road!!! I almost felt like crying looking up at sky thinking my parents cant come...NO one comes to VISIT ME...but i didn't let the TEAR DROP FALL......because i knew none of this will matter after 3 more years.

mean while I have seen the real india..i travelled alone during weekends just out of college …to have some peace from this stress and people,I saw life of poor people in india,how they struggle day and night begging on streets…I had this question for the first time when is poverty in india going to end? When I was on my shopping one weekend…I noticed this old man on road……I saw the DIFFRENCE...between RiCH nd POOR in CURRENT INDIA..That old man walking on the road begging but the car opposite to him just passes by thtz the diffrence!!

This man starts his day begging for every ruppe ,on his way those ppl passing n just like that car passing ahed ppl who are rich dont even open their windows when a begger is close by..NO ONE IS WILLING TO GET a SINGLE RUPPE OUT of their pockets in india today...now a days ppl stared to abuse them saying words out ..If you dont want to donate then don't but who are u to abuse them?SOCIETY IS CHANGING..as generations are passing……I have seen many situations like this in india that CHANGED ME INTO A NEW PERSON AND PROVOKED ME TO TAKE THIS DECISION….WHEN I WAS COMING FROM AMERICA TO STUDY MEDICINE I WAS NOT THAT MATURE OR DEDICATED TO BE A DOCTOR FOR A REASON…..BUT after seeing the REAL INDIA I WAS REALLY DETERMINED AND I HAD A FEELING THAT I WANT TO BE THE CHANGE I WISH TO SEE IN INDIA…I WANTED TO DO SERVICE BEING A DOCTOR AND HELP THE POOR OF THIS COUTRY BY DOING FREE TREATMENT AS MY SERVICE BEING A DOCTOR…..i didn’t know the meaning of goals or anything when I first came to india to study…my intension was just that I could complete the course in 5 years …that was the only reason I decided to come to india….but THEESE SITUATIONS I VE SEEN CHANGED ME INTO A NEW PERSON WITH A GOAL…I DECIDED TO STUDY HARD THAN BEFORE.......I recall a DAY AT CHURCH..on UGADI..LAST YEAR .. me and my friend bindu went to church for the 1St TIME on the eve of UGADI...it was a just one of those special feelingz sitting there..EVEN THOUGH we are not christians..... WHEN we BOTH went near jesus to pray UNFORTUNATLY i didn't know how to pray ....so i put my hands together and prayed like i do in TEMPLE...MY FRIEND was like what are you doing??? I said praying..& she laughed;at way i was praying!!! and showed me how to..SO I sat on the bench and closed my eyes as she told me for 5minutes talking to JESUS... It was one of the most quiet and peaceful TIME I HAD... I fealt like doesnt matter if you are under any religion...GOD IS THE SAME..HE iS NO WHERE but IN OUR HEART...

After 2nd internal I thought that I need to go for tuitions and get help with subject first….i decided to put everything aside ,stopped worrying about friends,and adjusting and everything I put aside….all I care about is my goal..to reach my goal I need to pass that was all in my mind…IT WAS MARCH 2013….I SAW MYSELF AS A DIFFERENT PERSON…I NOTICED THAT CHANGE…I CAN FEEL IT…IT WASN’T the old anisha 6 months back..how I was in US...enjoying,friends,partys,not that matured about thoughts…..6 MONTHS IN INDIA CHANGED ME…GAVE ME A GOAL…IT WAS IN MY HEART..that i have to do it...One day while travelling on a weekend, That was the 1St nd LAST TIME i was travelled n an RTC BUS....sitting beside a lady with her FISHES BASKET whoz lifestyle is earning money by selling those fishes....THE BUS was crossing that bridge but stopped exactly on tht BRIDGE that evening because of train crossing gate ahed!! Sitting beside tht lady On that day i fealt like life is not the same for everyone...their struggle for money.. Just made me feel emotional seeing REALISTIC LiFE....of people n that bus...with common people.IT WAS JUST a DIFFRENT FEELING that I NEVER HAD IN MY LIFE!!!so i started my tutions,during march,i decided my preparation for 3rd internal should be differnt and i worked really hard...i recall those early mornings at 5am,when i went to anatomy tutions,when the roads of vja were empty and pleasant mornings with MORNING SUNRISE!!! ISnt it Such a beautiful thing to start your day with?...it was def.for me...There will be many ppl n our lives like those passing clouds ...which are tying to cover the rasing sun..But never forget we are like that bright sunshine that makes a diffrence in this world..Those passing clouds should never change our beautiful lifez... Those days when me and my friend charita came for ANATOMY TUTION...They were the MOST beautiful days whre we sat on terrace every morning,feeling may be we were the 1st one in the world to see this beautiful sunshine today...BEST MEMORIES!!...I REMBER those days when i knocked the gate every morning waking watchman up and waiting for him to unlock the gate!!!...ME and my friend saw mornings when mother nature was quiet nd pleasant and other days when those ferocious winds blew our papers around the terrace......pigeons walking around the terrace walls every morning &crows waiting for their food parimala mam gets every morning...i remember those days when the sky looked like its about to rain dragonflies wandering in air around our terrace...The best part is when mams younger son kartick comes and gives us entertainment n middle of our tuition...His words made us laugh almost every morning..and i can never forget those days when i didn't study what i was supposed to and came to tution...and when mam asks if i studied ;those,were the most confusing days when i couldn't decide whether to LIE OR TELL THE TRUTH....When i think of TIMES when i cried and DAYS WHEN mam gave me lecture about LIFE made me feel like there will probably be no teacher; who,cares about their students wellbeing as much as mam.....i recall those days when me and charita talking about people n our college and thinking about us passing finals...

It was time for 3rd internal...but this time i was shocked..I KNOW EVERYTHING ON THE PAPER...I JUST COULDNT BELIEVE THAT I RAN OUT OF TIME...IT WASNT LIKE EVERY OTHER TIME,LIKE PREVIOUS INTERNALS WHERE I HAD AN HOUR LEFT WAITING FOR THE BELL TO RING...BUT IT FEALT REALLY GOOD INSIDE HEART....THAT I WAS REALLY HAPPY FOR MY HARDWORK..it was time for results...i was shocked once again...my scores went up from range on 3-4 to all in sudden 17-20..qualified...i had that confidence i could do it in finals...eventhough i wased 6 months o time 1 month of my effort for tutions and learing the subject changed my scores drastically...i thought 2 more months of my preparation holidays if i focous and work day and night studying..i ll def.pass....I HAD THAT CONFIDENCE AFTER SEEING MY SCORES...WHICH I DREAMT OF AND THOUGHT IT WAS IMPOSIBLE 3 MONTHS BACK.....I FEALT THIS WAS ONE OF BEST MEMORY OF MY LIFE AMMA old age home...my fav place in this world.. I remember that 1st day i met them..one day while passing though my clge i noticed this place...when ever i feel depressed or stressed out i used to go out of clge...there alone to spend some time with them.. When ever i go there i just forget myself...its feels like a new world...somewhere i find my true happiness...Thre are diffrent casts old age people here...with diffrent problms,where none of their family members come to visit them....but all of them live like a family..no matter how much pain they hav in their heart ...hoping for their families to visit them before they die...BUT years passed on &this old age home created a family for them...sometimes they laugh at eachother making jokes,watch TV,gardening,times they fight,&after an hour end up forgetting wht happend,evening walk..every thing just makes their day...n the begging when i went thre to spend some time they shared their problems with me their families how they found this old age home in what situations...tears i tried to control that day...i could never forget...one saturday evening when i went thre i recall a new lady who was 26 yrs came thre with her 4 year old daughter..i asked them who is she none of them replied they said we dont knw....i went to that lady sat beside her and asked her what happend?she started crying holding my hand...i said listen i ll help u tell me what happend...she says he left me my husband...me and my daughter were on road last night...so i went to temple last night nd slept ther...a random man tried to rape me last night i ran frm temple nd on my way i found this place for shelter...she was holding my hand nd she asked me can u show me some job pls....i said yes i will...nextnext day i went to clge trying to talk to maneger n my canteen..but no use i asked n clge for any cleaning works or rpf works...i couldnt make it....later i went back to tell her dont worry give me 2 days time ll find somejob...nd we ll join ur daughter in free daycare school ...BUT by the time i went ther she is gone...dont knw whre she went or wht happened...i asked every one thre but they said she left ....i fealt really depressed....tht night..One more situation whre one lady was really happy that their family is coming back to take her home...how every one were happy that one of them is leaving..&i rember how they gave her send off happily.. This year times i spent in this place with them calling evryone grandma nd grandpa ...they treated me like their daughter....when ever i came to visit their hapiness in their faces tears in their eyes,how happy they feel when i hold their hands tight....saying m here nd ill be for you forever....everything all these momemnts and memories never leave my heart.....This photo was shot when i visited them to tell them m leaving to america...i rember how they asked your not going to come back...how they said dont leave and i said i m not leaving ll call you evrry week...i ll be thre for you ...till the end...&i introduced my frnd to them saying this is me from today......she ll visit u every month just like how i used to...but they miss me nd i ll miss them...so much One word they said are we going to be alive by the time u come back?i said yes all of you will stay here n this amma old age home...& i ll def.come back for all of you...my hopes and dreams will never die....BELIEF very important part n my life which i ll never leave behind!! ...many more memories n this place i could never forget n my lifetime!!

MY ROOM MATE SNEHA AKKA..SHE MADE MY LIFE AT COLLEGE...NO MATTER HOW MANY FRIENDS I WENT AROUND AND HOW MANY FIGHTS I HAD WITH THEM SHE WAS ALWAYS THERE FOR ME..I rember the first day you ragged me when i looked at you like i dont care if your a senior...nd i ended up crying....i recall later whn SHE said i am the 1st person you ragged n this clge.....later after facing many isues with my roommates .....i got in her room moved in this room ..that morning n october when i walked in this room with saibabas photoframe n my hand hoping i shouldnt face those problems with my new room mate.....again !!! after shifting 2 rooms this is my 3rd room..during this i recall how i faced many rumors oh she does t stay in anyones room more than a month...how ppl laughed about me....

TIME passed on ..But in the beggining i didnt knw she is a senior i fealt like how to adjust with her....she looks so strict all her rules...i rember times when you said braid your hair,style a...&times when she said i ll tell aunty(my mom) that m not studying seriously,when i said i don't wash my clothes..nd her expression that day like what??? U serious Its not US its india...nd how she made me get used to dumping em every day in wash basket for dobhi aunty..That day when both of us sneaked out of auditoriums side door to escape from that lecture n gallery in rain.....i recall those days when we went to librearys on sunday mornings..TImes when i was in serious issues with a person and i lied to you about it even after a promise and got myself stuck up with that issue..wasting so much time i couldnt realize at that point...time passed and friends who used to talk to me ,everyone just changed i fealt like they are not giving me importance AS THEY USED TO IN THE BEGGINING....m just feeling too much about them thinking they are true friends,How i went to buy them giftz...times you helped me pack gift that night when i dint knw how to wrap a gift cover,i recall how i used to get phone balence from tuckshop every evening to call them just for timepass....times when i walked beside hostel nd nursing hostel talking to them...but didnt realize how hard they are studying going to tutions while talking to me....TIMES when i got scared of lizards and yelled at security and how i ran all around the room freeking out...i recall how we ate pulkas chandu anna got some nights....biriyani timez parcels how i was lazy to wash my plate spoons and cups after using em...nd how i waited for all the flies nd ants to get n my milk cup from days before..hahaa.....times when she got mad after looking at that mess...saying ahh most NRIS. are way better than you...nd even when she got mad times when i laughed...i still remeber when she closed the curtain...nd dint open.....when we aurgued. she said what to do m trying to be serious but if i look at your face m going to laugh...thats why....TIMES we laughed...i recall that day when i got ready for that fashion show but m not a participant....i rember those days i talked with chandu anna about those race nd caste issues....TIMES when you set the alaram up to wake. Me up to study but i never woke up saying akka pls ll wake up n morning...Times when i went for a morning walk nd did yoga n that ground alone on the (stage area)....TIMes when i cried saying why are these ppl n india so artificial...i remberr that night...

Times when i went up and down to give books when i was in middle of watching badshah movie...days when she had my bank book &i had to get it from you every time and times mom called her saying dont let me go out alone....i recall those days when i skipped labs and lied to her....&suprisingly she figured out....times when i got parcels from canteen insted of eating lunch n mess....times when i got less scorings n internals...times i was depressed....when HOD yelled at me in front of everyone in class...nd i recall tht afternoon how she knew all that with out asking me what happend...TImes i said enti e akka ki annai telisipotayi.......Days she went home nd times i missed her alot staying lonely....nd those days whn her grandma holded my hands saying iddaru kalisi akka chelela undadndi....near the car n front of hostel that night.....in may when i left hostl times i texted her saying m studying nd how i loved physiology after learning subject...how i said i was going to tutions...nd i still recall how i sat on that bed mrnings during 3rd internal ...comming from home to write internals...i can never forget how she wished me all the best for every single exam...last day of final exam how happily i left the room for vacation.and now after results how i vacted the hostel room november 6th on gratitude party when all my class people are celebrating that day...day i tried to control my tears when they are parting.....but all i knw is i have changed myself...day 1 when i moved in your room nd last day when m vacating the room...I AM NOT THE SAME PERSON...how silly i was when i look back now....but i ll def come for her one day n my life to show that i did it....I like those old days how i was with her silly fights jokes many memories dont knw whre to put a end to them........its all different now...TIME &situations just changed me...but my last words she is always n my heart
IT WAS TIME FOR FINALS..AFTER MY PREPARATION...FOR 2 MONTHS WHERE I MOVED OUT OF HOSTEL STAYED WITH MY DAD ;HE CAME FOR MY EXAM PREP.HOLIDAYS FROM U.S...i studied day and night..tutions for anatomy at 5.00 am and mid afternoon hot summers i recall how i went for biochemistry tution...almost 2 times every afternoon...it was really the hottest summers frankly,and night for physiology tution...and all the time i had left to study was during night until 2.00 pm and had sleep of 3 to 4 hours....barely..

.FINALLY IT WAS FINALS TIME..THE EXAM DAY HAS COME...AND I KNEW EVERYTHING ON PAPER..IT WASNT THAT HARD AS I EXPECTED...BUT ANATOMY M SURE I DIDNT DO GOOD ON PAPER 1 IT WAS TOUGH FOR EVERYONE SO ITS EVEN TOUGHER FOR ME...other subjects biochem and physio i did the best..i knew i ll defianlty pass...I WAS REALLY CONFIDENT...I LL PASS...i still went to anatomy tution after finals...because i had a doubt i might have to go thr reexam for anatomy...waking up at 5.00 again...from 4 months i just got used to it...sleepless nights...i fealt the pain during those days..in my heart i had this feeling if i would ve studied from begging on college i wouldnt have had to gone through all this stress now....but evry thing happend for a reason...i believe....LATER RESULTS CAME OUT...IT WAS SEPTEMBER 9TH 2013...THAT NIGHT I WAS REALLY DEPRESSED..I FAILED ALL 3 ..MISSED BIOCHEM WITH 1 POINT..JUST 1 POINT..IT REALLY HURTS..AND OTHER SUBJECTS TOO REALLY CLOSE...I CRIED FOR 5 HOURS FOR 1ST TIME N MY LIFE....I TOOK A DECISION N THAT MOMEMT..WHICH WAS REALLY FOOLISH TO DO SO...BUT IN THAT DEPRESSION I WASNT IN A SITUATION TO THINK IS IT RIGHT WHAT M DOING OR WRONG...IT ALL HAPPEND UNEXPEXTEDLY...later my mom was really depressed for what happend and she was like ITS YOUR LIFE TAKE THE RIGHT DECISION NOW...YOU WERE THE ONE WHO WANTED TO GO TO INDIA TO STUDY EVEN THOUGH WE SAID NO A YEAR AGO..WE GAVE U A CHOICE...AND AGAIN M SAYING THE SAME THING..ITS YOUR LIFE AGAIN..TAKE THE RIGHT DECESION...WHAT DO U WANT TO DO?i sat for a week in a room thinking alone...whole week....I TOLD HER MOM I WANT ONE MORE CHANCE ...I WANT TO STUDY COLLEGE AGAIN SAME SUBJECTS..I WANT ALL THE TIME THAT I WASTED....I WANT TO CHANGE MY PAST....BUT I KNEW ITS NOT POSSIBLE .....I HAD THIS FEELING DO I HAVE TO LEAVE MY GOAL?AM I A FAILURE?...MANY THOUGHTS N MY HEAD SO MUCH CONFUSION....BUT FINALLY .....I THOUGHT IT IS POSIBLE TO FIX MY MISTAKE CHANGE MY PAST..STUDY COLLEGE AGAIN.....I DECIDED TO COME BACK TO AMERICA..THATS THE ONLY WAY IF I WANT TO STUDY THEESE SAME SUBJECTS AGAIN....TAKING A SECOND CHANCE IN LIFE.... AND MY MIND WASNT SET YET FROM THAT DEPRESSION... i wasnt ready for reexam ANYWAYS .....i decided i ll come back to INDIA AFTER MY MEDICINE DEGREE FOR MY GOAL.....I M SURE ONE DAY IN MY LIFE WHEN I READ THIS PAGE BACK..I WILL DEFINATLY FEEL YESS I TOOK THE RIGHT DECISION THAT DAY.....HOPEFULLY IN 10 MORE YEARS I LL REACH MY GOAL AND COME BACK TO INDIA FOR MY SERVICE TO INDIA....AND MY OLD AGE HOME...WITH BLESSINGS OF SAIBABA..AN NRI UDJUSTING IN INDIA IS A TOUGH THING TO DO...AS I BELIEVE SO...AFTER COMMING BACK TO AMERICA,I STARTED MY BIOLOGY MAJOR,WORKING TOWARDS FINISHING MY 1ST SEM RIGHT NOW...AIMING FOR MCAT..HOPEFULLY IN NEXT 6 YEARS I LL BE A SUCCESSFUL DOCTOR..

I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR ANY INDIANS WHO ARE STUDYING PREMED.UNDERGRADUATE COURSE RIGHT NOW AND HAS A GOAL LIKE MINE TO DO FREE SERVICE IN INDIA TO THE POOR AFTER FINISHING THEIR COURSE...IF I MEET SOME ONE WHO IS THINKING EXACTLY LIKE THIS..I AM REALLY LUCKY...HOPEFULLY SOME ONE WHO READ THIS ONE PERSON....WILL REPLY..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR ANY INDIANS WHO ARE STUDYING PREMEDICINE.UNDERGRADUATE COURSE RIGHT NOW AND HAS A GOAL LIKE MINE TO DO FREE SERVICE TO THE POOR OF OUR COUNTRY; AFTER FINISHING THEIR COURSE...IF I MEET SOME ONE WHO IS THINKING EXACTLY LIKE THIS..I AM REALLY LUCKY...HOPEFULLY SOME ONE WHO READ THIS ...UTLEAST ONE PERSON....MIGHT HAVE THIS SAME GOAL!!!

IT WAS JULY 25TH 2012...I graduated from high school n america..I went to India to study medicine…As a teenager the only reason I took that decision was because I thought I can complete the course in 5 years…According to my matchurity level at that point;that was the only reason I had in my mind…I dint know the meaning of the word DEDICATION or GOAL when I first came to india…INDIA showed me the real world,how to face the society,problems and especially taught me the meaning of this big word DEDICATION …I started my college in the month on august;staying in hostel…Everything changed …it was like a new world….When i first went to college the first thing I remember RAGGING..i remember how seniors asked me and this other NRI himaja to say jonny jonnie yes papa rhyme…in our American accent,how I had to play badminton with an imaginary racket,writing my selfdetails,singing ecg rhytm without opening my mouth humming(when I had no idea what ecg was),trying to dance…time when seniors woke me up at 12.30am and batting started again…and later they said its just interaction between senior and junior..it wasn’t really bad…I guess I enjoyed ragging frankly..but it was really hard being a NRI to call senior students as SIR AND MAM..or even professors(when I was n US we go by mr/ms) it was just so odd to me esp. calling senior students as sir and mam..and most of the times I forget and they ask me where is my respect?i had no idea that I was supposed to apolozize them eighter until the senior told me…one strange feeling for some days in the beginning of college….There were 3 NRI girls in our batch..reshma,himaja and me.. for all of us it was like a new world…later on time passed by met new friends at that point I fealt like nothing matters except friends,later on friends started ignoring me,later on every one hang out in groups as they got closer,I had no clue which group I was in…but I tried to talk to every one just like life in america…but later I realized people in india divide in groups and basically talk to u if ur in their group kinda thing….i was just so confused…about some of them ignoring me…I remember those days when ravindra anna took me and sujitha near reading room and how our ragging went by…when he asked me my hobbies,my smart answer garderning,hoping if I say singing or dancing he might tell me to do so…but unfortunately he told me go pull grass outside…m glad he was joking…tears ran through my eyes…don’t know why but I was really scared.ofcouse it’s a new life,everything is so different…later on roommates,how all 3 roommates were together talking and I fealt like I was all alone faced many problms with roommates in hostel whre I almost changed 3 rooms and finally got sneha akka…a senior…I was really lucky to get her and was so happy …she happened to be my family frnd..until october adjusting with people facing problms with roommates,homesick feeling,everything got set by November…UNFORTUNATLY exams,my scores were really low…compared to others..i didn’t know why it was so hard…living my life with multiple choice in America nd all in sudden writing pages and memorizing it was just one of the hardest thing for me…but slowly I got used to it…Sneha akka helped me for internal exams but every time I went to exam it was that question on the paper I decided to skip while studying…nd my badluck that same questions appears on the question paper…when I look at the girl in front of me she keeps writing,the guy behind me he is so into it that he keeps writing even after time is up..they writing so fast that they are sacred if they ll run out of time…and I was in a situation whre I had an hour left..waiting for the bell to ring….staring at the question paper…my internal exams went the worst…of the whole class….i ve wondered why people tell they don’t study but they actually study 24hours ,ace the exam and get top scores…..i remember my EVERY SUNDAY MORNING BENCH!! TIMES when i sat there alone no matter what every sunday morning...WITH MY COFFEE...LISTENING TO MUSIC...I used to sit there utleast HALF N HOUR nd take some time thinking about MYSELF...but i didn't realise at that point how much time i was wasting?? There were days when i was sitting there alone & i fealt so HOMESICK..when most of the hostlers PARENTS CAME to visit their children..they used to park their cars in front of that bench...on that road!!! I almost felt like crying looking up at sky thinking my parents cant come...NO one comes to VISIT ME...but i didn't let the TEAR DROP FALL......because i knew none of this will matter after 3 more years.

mean while I have seen the real india..i travelled alone during weekends just out of college …to have some peace from this stress and people,I saw life of poor people in india,how they struggle day and night begging on streets…I had this question for the first time when is poverty in india going to end? When I was on my shopping one weekend…I noticed this old man on road……I saw the DIFFRENCE...between RiCH nd POOR in CURRENT INDIA..That old man walking on the road begging but the car opposite to him just passes by thtz the diffrence!!

This man starts his day begging for every ruppe ,on his way those ppl passing n just like that car passing ahed ppl who are rich dont even open their windows when a begger is close by..NO ONE IS WILLING TO GET a SINGLE RUPPE OUT of their pockets in india today...now a days ppl stared to abuse them saying words out ..If you dont want to donate then don't but who are u to abuse them?SOCIETY IS CHANGING..as generations are passing……I have seen many situations like this in india that CHANGED ME INTO A NEW PERSON AND PROVOKED ME TO TAKE THIS DECISION….WHEN I WAS COMING FROM AMERICA TO STUDY MEDICINE I WAS NOT THAT MATURE OR DEDICATED TO BE A DOCTOR FOR A REASON…..BUT after seeing the REAL INDIA I WAS REALLY DETERMINED AND I HAD A FEELING THAT I WANT TO BE THE CHANGE I WISH TO SEE IN INDIA…I WANTED TO DO SERVICE BEING A DOCTOR AND HELP THE POOR OF THIS COUTRY BY DOING FREE TREATMENT AS MY SERVICE BEING A DOCTOR…..i didn’t know the meaning of goals or anything when I first came to india to study…my intension was just that I could complete the course in 5 years …that was the only reason I decided to come to india….but THEESE SITUATIONS I VE SEEN CHANGED ME INTO A NEW PERSON WITH A GOAL…I DECIDED TO STUDY HARD THAN BEFORE.......I recall a DAY AT CHURCH..on UGADI..LAST YEAR .. me and my friend bindu went to church for the 1St TIME on the eve of UGADI...it was a just one of those special feelingz sitting there..EVEN THOUGH we are not christians..... WHEN we BOTH went near jesus to pray UNFORTUNATLY i didn't know how to pray ....so i put my hands together and prayed like i do in TEMPLE...MY FRIEND was like what are you doing??? I said praying..& she laughed;at way i was praying!!! and showed me how to..SO I sat on the bench and closed my eyes as she told me for 5minutes talking to JESUS... It was one of the most quiet and peaceful TIME I HAD... I fealt like doesnt matter if you are under any religion...GOD IS THE SAME..HE iS NO WHERE but IN OUR HEART...

After 2nd internal I thought that I need to go for tuitions and get help with subject first….i decided to put everything aside ,stopped worrying about friends,and adjusting and everything I put aside….all I care about is my goal..to reach my goal I need to pass that was all in my mind…IT WAS MARCH 2013….I SAW MYSELF AS A DIFFERENT PERSON…I NOTICED THAT CHANGE…I CAN FEEL IT…IT WASN’T the old anisha 6 months back..how I was in US...enjoying,friends,partys,not that matured about thoughts…..6 MONTHS IN INDIA CHANGED ME…GAVE ME A GOAL…IT WAS IN MY HEART..that i have to do it...One day while travelling on a weekend, That was the 1St nd LAST TIME i was travelled n an RTC BUS....sitting beside a lady with her FISHES BASKET whoz lifestyle is earning money by selling those fishes....THE BUS was crossing that bridge but stopped exactly on tht BRIDGE that evening because of train crossing gate ahed!! Sitting beside tht lady On that day i fealt like life is not the same for everyone...their struggle for money.. Just made me feel emotional seeing REALISTIC LiFE....of people n that bus...with common people.IT WAS JUST a DIFFRENT FEELING that I NEVER HAD IN MY LIFE!!!so i started my tutions,during march,i decided my preparation for 3rd internal should be differnt and i worked really hard...i recall those early mornings at 5am,when i went to anatomy tutions,when the roads of vja were empty and pleasant mornings with MORNING SUNRISE!!! ISnt it Such a beautiful thing to start your day with?...it was def.for me...There will be many ppl n our lives like those passing clouds ...which are tying to cover the rasing sun..But never forget we are like that bright sunshine that makes a diffrence in this world..Those passing clouds should never change our beautiful lifez... Those days when me and my friend charita came for ANATOMY TUTION...They were the MOST beautiful days whre we sat on terrace every morning,feeling may be we were the 1st one in the world to see this beautiful sunshine today...BEST MEMORIES!!...I REMBER those days when i knocked the gate every morning waking watchman up and waiting for him to unlock the gate!!!...ME and my friend saw mornings when mother nature was quiet nd pleasant and other days when those ferocious winds blew our papers around the terrace......pigeons walking around the terrace walls every morning &crows waiting for their food parimala mam gets every morning...i remember those days when the sky looked like its about to rain dragonflies wandering in air around our terrace...The best part is when mams younger son kartick comes and gives us entertainment n middle of our tuition...His words made us laugh almost every morning..and i can never forget those days when i didn't study what i was supposed to and came to tution...and when mam asks if i studied ;those,were the most confusing days when i couldn't decide whether to LIE OR TELL THE TRUTH....When i think of TIMES when i cried and DAYS WHEN mam gave me lecture about LIFE made me feel like there will probably be no teacher; who,cares about their students wellbeing as much as mam.....i recall those days when me and charita talking about people n our college and thinking about us passing finals...I CAN NEVER FORGET THESE MEMORIES IN MY LIFE TIME....it was time for 3rd internal...but this time i was shocked..I KNOW EVERYTHING ON THE PAPER...I JUST COULDNT BELIEVE THAT I RAN OUT OF TIME...IT WASNT LIKE EVERY OTHER TIME,LIKE PREVIOUS INTERNALS WHERE I HAD AN HOUR LEFT WAITING FOR THE BELL TO RING...BUT IT FEALT REALLY GOOD INSIDE HEART....THAT I WAS REALLY HAPPY FOR MY HARDWORK..it was time for results...i was shocked once again...my scores went up from range on 3-4 to all in sudden 17-20..qualified...i had that confidence i could do it in finals...eventhough i wased 6 months o time 1 month of my effort for tutions and learing the subject changed my scores drastically...i thought 2 more months of my preparation holidays if i focous and work day and night studying..i ll def.pass....I HAD THAT CONFIDENCE AFTER SEEING MY SCORES...WHICH I DREAMT OF AND THOUGHT IT WAS IMPOSIBLE 3 MONTHS BACK.....I FEALT THIS WAS ONE OF BEST MEMORY OF MY LIFE AMMA old age home...my fav place in this world.. I remember that 1st day i met them..one day while passing though my clge i noticed this place...when ever i feel depressed or stressed out i used to go out of clge...there alone to spend some time with them.. When ever i go there i just forget myself...its feels like a new world...somewhere i find my true happiness...Thre are diffrent casts old age people here...with diffrent problms,where none of their family members come to visit them....but all of them live like a family..no matter how much pain they hav in their heart ...hoping for their families to visit them before they die...BUT years passed on &this old age home created a family for them...sometimes they laugh at eachother making jokes,watch TV,gardening,times they fight,&after an hour end up forgetting wht happend,evening walk..every thing just makes their day...n the begging when i went thre to spend some time they shared their problems with me their families how they found this old age home in what situations...tears i tried to control that day...i could never forget...one saturday evening when i went thre i recall a new lady who was 26 yrs came thre with her 4 year old daughter..i asked them who is she none of them replied they said we dont knw....i went to that lady sat beside her and asked her what happend?she started crying holding my hand...i said listen i ll help u tell me what happend...she says he left me my husband...me and my daughter were on road last night...so i went to temple last night nd slept ther...a random man tried to rape me last night i ran frm temple nd on my way i found this place for shelter...she was holding my hand nd she asked me can u show me some job pls....i said yes i will...nextnext day i went to clge trying to talk to maneger n my canteen..but no use i asked n clge for any cleaning works or rpf works...i couldnt make it....later i went back to tell her dont worry give me 2 days time ll find somejob...nd we ll join ur daughter in free daycare school ...BUT by the time i went ther she is gone...dont knw whre she went or wht happened...i asked every one thre but they said she left ....i fealt really depressed....tht night..One more situation whre one lady was really happy that their family is coming back to take her home...how every one were happy that one of them is leaving..&i rember how they gave her send off happily.. This year times i spent in this place with them calling evryone grandma nd grandpa ...they treated me like their daughter....when ever i came to visit their hapiness in their faces tears in their eyes,how happy they feel when i hold their hands tight....saying m here nd ill be for you forever....everything all these momemnts and memories never leave my heart.....This photo was shot when i visited them to tell them m leaving to america...i rember how they asked your not going to come back...how they said dont leave and i said i m not leaving ll call you evrry week...i ll be thre for you ...till the end...&i introduced my frnd to them saying this is me from today......she ll visit u every month just like how i used to...but they miss me nd i ll miss them...so much One word they said are we going to be alive by the time u come back?i said yes all of you will stay here n this amma old age home...& i ll def.come back for all of you...my hopes and dreams will never die....BELIEF very important part n my life which i ll never leave behind!! ...many more memories n this place i could never forget n my lifetime!!

MY ROOM MATE SNEHA AKKA..SHE MADE MY LIFE AT COLLEGE...NO MATTER HOW MANY FRIENDS I WENT AROUND AND HOW MANY FIGHTS I HAD WITH THEM SHE WAS ALWAYS THERE FOR ME....@psims I rember the first day you ragged me when i looked at you like i dont care if your a senior...nd i ended up crying....i recall later whn u said i am the 1st person you ragged n this clge.....later after facing many isues with my roommates .....i got your room room #518 moved in this room with my suitcases..that morning n october when i walked in this room with saibabas photoframe n my hand hoping i shouldnt face those problems with my new room mate.....again !!! after shifting 2 rooms this is my 3rd room..during this i recall how i faced many rumors oh she does t stay in anyones room more than a month...how ppl laughed about me.....

TIME passed on ..But in the beggining i didnt knw she is a senior i fealt like how to adjust with her....she looks so strict all her rules...i rember times when you said braid your hair,style a...&times when she said i ll tell aunty(my mom) that m not studying seriously,when i said i don't wash my clothes..nd your expression that day like what??? U serious Its not US its india...nd how you made me get used to dumping em every day in wash basket for dobhi aunty..That day when we sneaked out of auditoriums side door to escape from that lecture n gallery in rain....with my fav person who i admire....one akka&...by the time we got back to room ... totally wet!!.....i recall those days when we went to librearys on sunday mornings..TImes when i was n serious issues with a person and i lied to you about it even after a promise and got myself stuck up with that issue..wasting so much time i couldnt realize at that point....i rember that day how you holded my hand with tears in your eyes saying anisha its all a T***.... Listn to me same thing happend with my own s*****....And i dint listen that day....time passed and friends who used to talk to me ,everyone just changed i fealt like they are not giving me importance AS THEY USED TO IN THE BEGGINING....m just feeling too much about them thinking they are true friends,How i went to buy them giftz...times you helped me pack gift that night when i dint knw how to wrap a gift cover,i recall how i used to get net balence from tuckshop every evening to call them just for timepass....times when i walked beside hostl nd nursing hostel talking to them...but didnt realize how hard they are studying going to tutions while talking to me......i recall those times when you got really mad one day for a random girl getting me a key chain..&how you sent it back with her.....nd how i said m sorry that night for lying...TIMES when i got scared of lizards nd yelled at security nd how i ran all around the room freeking out...i recall how we ate pulkas chandu anna got some nights....biriyani timez parcels how i was lazy to wash my plate spoons and cups after using em...nd how i waited for all the flies nd ants to get n my milk cup from days before..hahaa.....times when you got mad after looking at that mess...saying ahh most NRIS. are way better than you...nd even when you got mad times when i laughed...i still remeber when you closed the curtain...nd dint open.....when we aurgue. you said what to do m trying to be serious but if i look at your face m going to laugh...thats why....TIMES we laughed...i recall that day when i got ready for that fashion but m not a participant....how i tried to fit n that dress....i rember those days i talked with chandu anna about those race nd caste issues....TIMES when you set the alaram up to wake. Me up to study but i nevrr woke up saying akka pls ll wake up n morning...TImes when i went for a morning walk nd did yoga n that ground alone on the (stage area)....TIMes when i cried saying why are these ppl n india so artificial...i remberr that night...

Times when i went up and down to give books when i was in middle of watching badshah movie...days when you had my bank book &i had to get it from you every time and times mom called you saying dont let me go out alone....i recall those days when i skipped labs and lied to you....&suprisingly u figured out....times when i got parcels from canteen insted of eating lunch n mess....times when i got less scorings n internals...times i was depressed....when HOD yelled at me...nd i recall tht afternoon how you knew all that with out asking me what happend...TImes you said enti e akka ki annai telisipotayi.......Days you went home nd times i missed you staying lonely....nd those days whn your grandma holded my hands saying iddaru kalisi akka chelela undadndi....near the car n front of hostl that night...many memories if i keep writing there is no end to it....in may when i left hostl times i texted you saying m studyiing nd how i loved physiology after learning subject...how i said i was going to tutions...nd i still recall how i sat on that bed mrnings during 3rd internal ...comming from home to write internals...i can nevr forget how you wished me all the best for every single exam...last day of final exam how happily i left the room for vacationThis photo was shot last day n hostl..room when incidents happend betwn september 9th when results came i can nevr forget that night...how u made me feel you are more imprtant than my parents tht night...not that m saying too much but my call that night...i can nver forget betwn september 9th incident & the day i vacted the room november 6th on gratitude party when all my class people are celebrating that day...day i tried to control my tears when we are parting...day when anna talked to me words he said his gift eveything its all n my heart i can never forget...all these memories with you akka....but all i knw is i have changed myself...day 1 when i moved in your room nd last day when m vacating the room...I AM NOT THE SAME PERSON...how silly i was when i look back now.....i m really going to miss you akka...i Remember tht night how we talked about it wont work practically...how i made you listen alomost till midnight....all those days and memories when i think back sounds special but i ll def come for you one day n my life to show you i did it....I like those old days how i was with you silly fights jokes many memories dont knw whre to put a end to them........its all different now...TIME &situations just changed me...but my last words your are always n my heart akka...IT WAS TIME FOR FINALS..AFTER MY PREPARATION...FOR 2 MONTHS WHERE I MOVED OUT OF HOSTEL STAYED WITH MY DAD ;HE CAME FOR MY EXAM PREP.HOLIDAYS FROM U.S...i studied day and night..tutions for anatomy at 5.00 am and mid afternoon hot summers i recall how i went for biochemistry tution...almost 2 times every afternoon...it was really the hottest summers frankly,and night for physiology tution...and all the time i had left to study was during night until 2.00 pm and had sleep of 3 to 4 hours....barely..

.FINALLY IT WAS FINALS TIME..THE EXAM DAY HAS COME...AND I KNEW EVERYTHING ON PAPER..IT WASNT THAT HARD AS I EXPECTED...BUT ANATOMY M SURE I DIDNT DO GOOD ON PAPER 1 IT WAS TOUGH FOR EVERYONE SO ITS EVEN TOUGHER FOR ME...other subjects biochem and physio i did the best..i knew i ll defianlty pass...I WAS REALLY CONFIDENT...I LL PASS...i still went to anatomy tution after finals...because i had a doubt i might have to go thr reexam for anatomy...waking up at 5.00 again...from 4 months i just got used to it...sleepless nights...i fealt the pain during those days..in my heart i had this feeling if i would ve studied from begging on college i wouldnt have had to gone through all this stress now....but evry thing happend for a reason...i believe....LATER RESULTS CAME OUT...IT WAS SEPTEMBER 9TH 2013...THAT NIGHT I WAS REALLY DEPRESSED..I FAILED ALL 3 ..MISSED BIOCHEM WITH 1 POINT..JUST 1 POINT..IT REALLY HURTS..AND OTHER SUBJECTS TOO REALLY CLOSE...I CRIED FOR 5 HOURS FOR 1ST TIME N MY LIFE....I TOOK A DECISION N THAT MOMEMT..WHICH WAS REALLY FOOLISH TO DO SO...BUT IN THAT DEPRESSION I WASNT IN A SITUATION TO THINK IS IT RIGHT WHAT M DOING OR WRONG...IT ALL HAPPEND UNEXPEXTEDLY...later my mom was really depressed for what happend and she was like ANISHA ITS YOUR LIFE TAKE THE RIGHT DECISION NOW...YOU WERE THE ONE WHO WANTED TO GO TO INDIA TO STUDY EVEN THOUGH WE SAID NO A YEAR AGO..WE GAVE U A CHOICE...AND AGAIN M SAYING THE SAME THING..ITS YOUR LIFE AGAIN..TAKE THE RIGHT DECESION...WHAT DO U WANT TO DO?i sat for a week in a room thinking alone...whole week....I TOLD HER MOM I WANT ONE MORE CHANCE ...I WANT TO STUDY COLLEGE AGAIN SAME SUBJECTS..I WANT ALL THE TIME THAT I WASTED....I WANT TO CHANGE MY PAST....BUT I KNEW ITS NOT POSSIBLE .....I HAD THIS FEELING DO I HAVE TO LEAVE MY GOAL?AM I A FAILURE?...MANY THOUGHTS N MY HEAD SO MUCH CONFUSION....BUT FINALLY .....I THOUGHT IT IS POSIBLE TO FIX MY MISTAKE CHANGE MY PAST..STUDY COLLEGE AGAIN.....I DECIDED TO COME BACK TO AMERICA..THATS THE ONLY WAY IF I WANT TO STUDY THEESE SAME SUBJECTS AGAIN....TAKING A SECOND CHANCE IN LIFE.... AND MY MIND WASNT SET YET FROM THAT DEPRESSION... i wasnt ready for reexam ANYWAYS .....i decided i ll come back to INDIA AFTER MY MEDICINE DEGREE FOR MY GOAL.....I M SURE ONE DAY IN MY LIFE WHEN I READ THIS PAGE BACK..I WILL DEFINATLY FEEL YESS I TOOK THE RIGHT DECISION THAT DAY.....HOPEFULLY IN 10 MORE YEARS I LL REACH MY GOAL AND COME BACK TO INDIA FOR MY SERVICE TO INDIA....AND MY OLD AGE HOME...WITH BLESSINGS OF SAIBABA..AN NRI UDJUSTING IN INDIA IS A TOUGH THING TO DO...AS I BELIEVE SO...AFTER COMMING BACK TO AMERICA,I STARTED MY BIOLOGY MAJOR,WORKING TOWARDS FINISHING MY 1ST SEM RIGHT NOW...AIMING FOR MCAT..HOPEFULLY IN NEXT 6 YEARS I LL BE A SUCCESSFUL DOCTOR..

I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR ANY INDIANS WHO ARE STUDYING PREMED.UNDERGRADUATE COURSE RIGHT NOW AND HAS A GOAL LIKE MINE TO DO FREE SERVICE IN INDIA TO THE POOR AFTER FINISHING THEIR COURSE...IF I MEET SOME ONE WHO IS THINKING EXACTLY LIKE THIS..I AM REALLY LUCKY...HOPEFULLY SOME ONE WHO READ THIS ONE PERSON....WILL REPLY..
first

tl;dr

but i can't wait to read this entire post later. thank you so much op

So Anjali, was Sneha your girlfriend? I just want to clarify.

edit: never mind I thought you were a dude at first

Members don't see this ad :)
sneha is my room mate...in hostel

M studying in Atlanta..m doing my undergrad 1st semester..preparing for mcat..m just aiming for the minimum score to get in med school..I don't want to be topper or anything just score that I could enter med school ..if I get in that's enough..m satisfied!!

M studying in Atlanta..m doing my undergrad 1st semester..preparing for mcat..m just aiming for the minimum score to get in med school..I don't want to be topper or anything just score that I could enter med school ..if I get in that's enough..m satisfied!!
Aren't we all! Do you think you education in India was good preparation for school here?

Last edited:
When I did my high school in America..nd all I had was multiplie choice so easy and fun..but once I went there all in sudden I had to memorize every single page n the book and they don't have any tests quizzes nothing all they have is one final exam which whole India writes at the nd of year and the exam comes from board of India education system..that one exam decides if you can pass the year nd nothing is multiple choice,no one will have an idea what question is going to appear on exam...nd def.i had to write almost 30 to 40 pages I recall on that exam...education system is really tough for ppl who go from America to India..but for students who are studying in India from some years it's a piece of cake for them bevause they are used to it from when they are born...so yea education system is really good in India but I don't like it because one final exam can't decide my future

And yea education in India really helped me fr my mcat preparation because that's exactly what's on mcat...I dissected the real human body in India..I basically know more than what a undergrad students know..yea it really helped me for my mcat

When I did my high school in America..nd all I had was multiplie choice so easy and fun..but once I went there all in sudden I had to memorize every single page n the book and they don't have any tests quizzes nothing all they have is one final exam which whole India writes at the nd of year and the exam comes from board of India education system..that one exam decides if you can pass the year nd nothing is multiple choice,no one will have an idea what question is going to appear on exam...nd def.i had to write almost 30 to 40 pages I recall on that exam...education system is really tough for ppl who go from America to India..but for students who are studying in India from some years it's a piece of cake for them bevause they are used to it from when they are born...so yea education system is really good in India but I don't like it because one final exam can't decide my future
And yea education in India really helped me fr my mcat preparation because that's exactly what's on mcat...I dissected the real human body in India..I basically know more than what a undergrad students know..yea it really helped me for my mcat

How many years of school did you complete in the US before college?

I studied in India till 8th grade..but till 8th grade it's easy education in India ...from 9th is when the real tough part starts but Unfortunatly I moved to US during that time and here I did 4 years of high schooling in US..which is really easy..so basically my whole life education went so easy luckily until I went back to med school In India...that's the first time I saw what exactly is hardwork!!

I studied in India till 8th grade..but till 8th grade it's easy education in India ...from 9th is when the real tough part starts but Unfortunatly I moved to US during that time and here I did 4 years of high schooling in US..which is really easy..so basically my whole life education went so easy luckily until I went back to med school In India...that's the first time I saw what exactly is hardwork!!
Did anyone ever tell you that you are a thoughtful writer? I am truly impressed at the quantity of your thoughts. I hope you stick around SDN and become a regular contributor. You have a lot to offer! What inspired you to post today?

Thank you..but I really was looking for someone who has a goal like mine...I was just randomly googling stories of Indians who went for medical school to India and this link showed up..I never knw a link like this even exists until today...I thought if I post on this link I might find some one who has a goal just like mine...i faced many ppl discouraging me frnds family everyone saying my goal doesn't work practically...every one said after ur get that doctorate degree girl u won't even say goal u ll go for money...no one belives me I can do it..nd I fealt like if I meet some one with a goal just like mine then later after we get our doctorate degree me and that person I meet can work on our goal together..nd prove every one who laughed at our failure and ppl who thought this goal is impossible it would shut their faces...yea i thought posting on this page one day some one who thinks just like me might read this page and I might meet him or her...that's what inspired me to post this today!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you..but I really was looking for someone who has a goal like mine...I was just randomly googling stories of Indians who went for medical school to India and this link showed up..I never knw a link like this even exists until today...I thought if I post on this link I might find some one who has a goal just like mine...i faced many ppl discouraging me frnds family everyone saying my goal doesn't work practically...every one said after ur get that doctorate degree girl u won't even say goal u ll go for money...no one belives me I can do it..nd I fealt like if I meet some one with a goal just like mine then later after we get our doctorate degree me and that person I meet can work on our goal together..nd prove every one who laughed at our failure and ppl who thought this goal is impossible it would shut their faces...yea i thought posting on this page one day some one who thinks just like me might read this page and I might meet him or her...that's what inspired me to post this today!!

That is very inspirational. And I think you are a good person. But I have to say I am very skeptical that you would get a US MD and then ever return to India for longer than a few months at a time. 1. Tuition costs a lot of money here. So what are the logistics of your plan? Are you just going to leave and not pay your $200,000 in loans off? Or work for 10 years just to pay them off and then leave to work for free in India? I just don't see it happening on a permanent basis.

Also, if you wanted to practice in India for charitable reasons, it would make sense to return to India and transfer to a new medical school there, since it seems pretty clear that tuition is low enough that you family can afford it. It is the only way to avoid debt. Also, it may be the only way you will become a doctor. It seems like in India, if you can pay the tuition, you can sign up for school. Even though you failed the first time, you have a better chance of doing better there than you do here at this point. At least in India, if you finally pass everything, you will become a doctor. Here, it is not like that -- you will have to get a great MCAT score, as well as great grades, AND do tons of extra-curricular volunteering and working, AND do really well in your interviews. I would really like to know how your interviewing skills are.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but I'm trying to point out some things that your parents and other naysayers might not be aware of. They might be giving you good advice, even if it is for the wrong reasons.

..i went through a stage whre I was just sitting n a room for whole month thinking what to do?because I am a failure..my parents left the decision for me...I was thinking I planned on staring college over again in India like with diffrrnt college but I had this fear n my heart what if I fail again...but I thought if I come to US and start my undergrad it gives me 4 years of time to study for Mcat while doing undergrad...i fealt like I studied really hard during last 4 months n India and missed with one point that means I have capability to do it...so I thought if I study from 4 years ahed for mcat then I m sure I will def make or through... When I almost did it in India during my last 4 months hardwork...I fealt it was the right choice comming here and start over...nd about money all the money my parents paied for college in India was gone..waste of so much money..nd it's ok there is no problem for us financially by god grace..my parents can afford it...m glad to have them!!

Last edited:
Oh m sorry I really dint know typing in caps means yelling... I just typed to highlight that part..nd spelling and all I was typing fast dint have time to go back and check..but m a topper in essay writing..I don't have any issues with English.. Thanks for letting me know about caps though I ll never repeat it from now..

Why did you go to India to study medicine? If it's to practice over there I understand but if your intention is to practice in the US then it's always best to go to a US school. I don't see the appeal of this option at all, though I am not Indian.

The only reason i went to India after my high school was because I wasn't that matchured about thoughts at that point,the only thought I had in my mind was if it's in India I don't have to study undergrad there it saves 4 years I can directly get in medical school nd I did because my parents paied money...most Indians there right after high school take a test called MSET just like mcat for us in US...nd that test is like an entry to med school right after high school...nd since my education is in US I had a chance if just paying fee and getting in insted of taking MSET..nd yea the only reason I went there was I could get a doctorate degree in just 5 years nd I thought after finishing my course I could start my service in that country..but I guess destiny it wasn't meant to happen but I dint give up..m taking my second chance!!!

Nd my intension was to practice in India..as you asked

The sky is falling.... US MD is the new Caribbean. Good thing to know that there is a place you can always come back to and study medicine if things don't go right in the Caribbean the first time around. Anjali, do IMGs in India face any kind of discrimination?

and yes if i dont make a good score in mcat i had this second plan of going to Caribbean for med school. what exactly do u mean my discrimination?

Do u mean if immigrants in india face any discrimination?as in ppl who go from a different country to india to study there ...do they face any discrimination?is that what you mean?

i mean they respect anyone who comes from abroad to study or tourism anything...there will never be any discrimination or differnces..

Sorry, I should clarify. If you study medicine in the US, how do you plan on just practicing in India? Is it OK to just do that? Do you have to get certified and do a residency in India? How does the Indian medical establishment look upon foreign medical graduates?

yea...its absolutely ok to practice medicine in india.... if i have my doctorate degree from america..its actually more valuable because its from united states and most patients prefer to choose doctors who are certified from US..They believe its high qualification compared to doctors who studied in india..its really considered as high qualification in india being a US Medical school graduate.

and i am planning on finishing my medical school as well as residency from US...
i want to have all my qualifications from here and go back to india after 10 years hopefully!!!
and work on my goal rest of my life doing service to the poor;taking money from rich ppl and use that money for my expenses to do free treatment to the poor of that country..

After 10 years when i have my diploma in my hands..and my plan worked just the way i thought today....m sure everyone who laughed at my failure today it would defiantly teach them a lesson....

and i am planning on finishing my medical school as well as residency from US...
i want to have all my qualifications from here and go back to india after 10 years hopefully!!!
and work on my goal rest of my life doing service to the poor;taking money from rich ppl and use that money for my expenses to do free treatment to the poor of that country..
So I get the Robin Hood thing.... But what is you plan for paying off your $200,000 in loans for medical school in the US? Is that what you mean by take from rich ppl? You don't plan on paying the loans back? I'm not judging you, I'm just curious about the specifics of your plan.

Or by taking money from rich people, do you mean simply that you will be a doctor for rich people, and use the money from them to keep a practice where you can treat poor people?

Or do you mean taking money from rich ppl by fundraising?

Again, since your post is going to really help other NRIs in the future with similar goals, I think it would be helpful to layout your exact plan here for how you intend to address the $200,000 in loans and how you are going to finance a practice for poor people (in other words, what is the method that you will use to take money from rich ppl?)

i dont have a problem of paying money..my parents are going to take care of that..they are always there to help me..i meant the only method is i ll earn money by treating patients who can afford the treatment..who are rich and with the money i make.... i ll use that for my free service in rural areas like organizing camps in different villages and slum areas and treat poor in that area..

Hopefully by that time i might find some other doctors who will support me through this plan..

You should set a reminder with google calendar to come back and read this thread in ten years. Maybe you'll be sitting on a plane back to India as a board-certified psychiatrist!

Haha Yea I m defiantly going to post back on this same page when I get through mcat..:)nd not psychiatrist..surgeon

Wow, that's a really interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

I am currently a pre-med in undergraduate college in the US. Although I don't know a ton about medicine in India, I am from India and have heard about medicine there so maybe I can offer some input. Your goal to help the poor and needy in India is very admirable; I wish you the best of luck. I also have an interest in going back to India sometime in my life to possibly work for a charitable hospital or trust hospital or something.

I think you need to think very hard and practically about where you want to be in your career 10 years or so down the line. Talk to your family and try and come to a general idea for that.

Are you completely sure on the medical profession, as there are other good careers in which you can help the needy, with probably a lot less stress and competition. Are you sure that you want to practice/live in India, and not in the US? What about specialization; do you want to be very specialized (cardiology, etc) or would you be okay being general MBBS in India?

If you have any small desire or plan to work and live in the US, I think you would be better off studying medicine here. One other option is to go back to India for MBBS and then take your USMLE and try to come to the US for residency. However, it is getting more and more difficult every year for foreign medical graduates to get into residency in the US, and the only way to get into competitive residencies would be to have very high USMLE scores.

If you want to achieve a certain specialty, you would need to do residency and maybe fellowship in the US after your medical school. In India, you would need to get into post-graduation in that specialty. From what I've heard, it is extremely difficult to get into any PG in India because there are very few slots, and that you would need to pay crores of rupees to get a seat.

In my opinion, if you are firm on your goal to serve poor people in India and intend to either work for or set up your own charitable hospital/clinic in India, I think it may be better for you to do MBBS in India. For the sole purpose of providing care to the poor, I think the years and money spent for undergraduate/medical school/residency in the US would be too much. Keep in mind that you would probably need to do 4 ys of undergrad, 4 yrs of med, and at least 3 yrs of residency. That's 11 years from now. Again, as someone already mentioned, medical school is very expensive in the US. I know you said your parents would take care of the cost, but I just wanted to make sure you weren't going on false notions about how much med school costs. The cost of attendance for med school in the US is probably around $40,000 - $50,000 per year, but it varies based on the university. Think about if that's feasible for your parents, or if you would have debt coming out of med school. If you have debt, it increases quite a bit with interest, and you may have to work in US for around 5 more years to pay off the debt (I don't think you will be able to pay off US medical school debt with Indian salary).

In India, you may be done with medical college in about 5 or 6 years. If your parents pay for the costs, you would be debt-free and can practice medicine in India. However, if you want to go into top specialties, it may be hard to get seats for PG in India. I've heard that general non-specialized MBBS doctors in India don't have great career prospects, so keep that in mind as well.

Also, if you ever wish to return to the US to practice, it would be fairly difficult. Bu for your goal of helping the needy, India may be the better choice. If you decide to go back to India for MBBS, try to work as hard as you can to do well. I can't really offer advice here as I haven't really been to school in India, except at a very young age.

So in essence, I think it depends on your long term goals, so try and make a decision based off that. Also, you seem very dedicated to a very good goal. Just do your best and you'll be fine!

hey..its really nice to meet you on this page..an Indian responding to this...i feel so happy..its been 3 moths i have been back to atlanta from india and in my college i dint find a single indian biology major...its great to read your feed back..anyways as you were saying going back to india and finish MBBS ,i thougt about it before comming back here because its not that easy as i thought...its really though for a NRI to get adjusted to that education system and by the time i got adjusted it was too late..i have experienced the pain trust me...i dint want that stress in my life again..i feel better studying in US AND i know medical school is hard anywhere but i m sure i can work hard..and i have confidence about medical school and education in US for some reason..and for PG my parents are ok about paying..money yea i really dont have a problem..and if i change my mind as you said again and go back for mbbs now again its going to be a mess trust me...i ll end up in a state of confusion and tension..its not going to work..the only way is to finish my medical school in US and go back to india and work on PG and while doing my PG since i have a medical degree from US i can work on treatment and service in villages..and specialize in surgery..that way i can earn money and with that money as i said i can use for my expenses of my service and organization...
Thanks alot for support

As of right now i am not thinking about where to do residency..my only thought is getting through mcat and get in a EMORY MEDICAL SCHOOL..after i finish medical school m sure i m going back to india...in between i might get married and all that but still m not going to stop med school for marriage..hoepfully everthing will go right just the way i have planned..

Are you a undergraduate right now..or u finished undergraduate and trying for mcat?

Your plan sounds good. Wish you best of luck!
I'm an undergrad 2nd year right know, but I took the MCAT recently because I felt more comfortable taking it before the big changes to the MCAT are initiated in Feb 2015. Are you a freshman right now? If so, you would probably be taking the new MCAT.

Do your best to get a good GPA and study well for the MCAT and I think you'll be fine in getting into a medical school and achieving your goal! If you're a freshman, you still have quite a while until the MCAT so don't worry too much.

Yea m supposed to be n second year by now but since that one and half year is wasted m a freshman now.. thank you though

Last edited:
ok what if i had a gpa of 3.2 or something would i still qualify for mcat?

Last edited:
Well, the MCAT is something completely different than your GPA. You don't really need anything to "qualify" for the MCAT, you just need to be interested in going to a health field.

Essentially, when you apply for medical school they will look at:
- Your academic transcript of all your college classes and grades, including your overall GPA and science GPA
- MCAT score
- Letter of recommendations from professors, doctors you shadowed, etc.
- Your extra-curricular activities, including clinical experience that you have like volunteering in a hospital, shadowing doctors, etc
- Research experience

Man, going through this post triggered my mcat verbal reasoning PTSD. Nice story though and good luck!

INDIAN SOCIAL SERVICE ORGANIZATION
This organization is india.The Indian Social Service Institute's purpose is to promote Social, Economic and Cultural advancement of the rural and urban weaker sections through Education, Research and Field action programs. It is a registered, secular, non-profit voluntary organization that was founded in 1986 by a team of socially committed professionals and volunteers in response to drought in the the district of Pudukottai in Tamilnadu state, South India.

Our main focus is on child laborers, widows, young girls, and disabled and old-aged people,women and children of rural poor families of Pudukottai district of Tamil Nadu.
Education for children
Income generation for women
Water & sanitation facilities in villages and small towns
Community based rehabilitation for disabled and old-aged people
Eco-farming and tree plantation programs for the community

THE organization is looking for people who would be intrested to help through donations

Last edited:
Hello ....
Anjali
I am posting here aftr reading your posts
And I wd like to mention one thing
That if you want to go back to india and work after completing your degree from united states, you would have to sit for an exam ( FMGE )and go for 1 yr of internship and get the required permissions, according to the rules, but its a different thing that rules are not followed in india and people dont care..
So kindly get your facts straight

And Its a very long path that u have chosen.....

If u have had wanted to work for charity in india you could have easily done that after Mbbs

N if you want to work while doing pg in india
Trust me you can't....
Because during pg your whole future is dependant on your mentor n studies are not taken casually, you have to prove yourself.
And moreover so much is extracted out of you...
You can't even think to go out and work.

Yes I have chosen the long path..as you said if It's going to be hard doing pg and service as well the same time then m going to take a break for PG for some years and do my service first later start my PG..nd the process I have to go through to from here the exams and all I will take them FMGE..I will go through that process ..m sure because I don't have an another option if I really want to go back to India after getting my medical degree

Yes I have chosen the long path..as you said if It's going to be hard doing pg and service as well the same time then m going to take a break for PG for some years and do my service first later start my PG..nd the process I have to go through to from here the exams and all I will take them FMGE..I will go through that process ..m sure because I don't have an another option if I really want to go back to India after getting my medical degree

Ya overall a good thought......

N just for information what medical camps basically do in india....
Firstly a camp is organised and a lot of hoardings are poated here and there
And even though its sometimes written as a free check up camp ...
Poor people still go and ask for help for treatment part which they dont get and cant afford.
And basically all the people from the camp are effectively reffered to a single hospital or a bunch of them and there they had to pay for diagnostics and treatment which might be at a discounted rate and which they might shell out if they are in dire need and at the end they had to pay expensive medicines and treatment, and a huge commision from both of them goes to the doctor.
So, at the end this proves to be a good bussiness stratergy for the doctor who earns both money and raport.

So, kindly keep these things in mind
when you reach at a very good stage (hoping that you do so easily)
that helping poors is always taken advantage of...and try not to be like that..

Thanks a lot for information..nd what exactly do u mean by advantage that doctors tAke by helping poor?

Strategy to increase opd numbers of their clinic or hospital
And to have a name by having pictures of the camp published in local media
I do believe that there are some genuine docs but one bad can shadow all good