My story (never give up)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there are any of you hopeful future PTs out there who may be struggling with waiting to be accepted or dealing with the pain of rejection I just wanted to share my story to offer encouragement and to tell you to NEVER give up if PT is really what you want to do.

I applied during the 2011-2012 cycle only to be rejected by all eleven of the schools that I designated. My application was moderate, mostly weakened by very low GRE scores, a C in a science per-requisite and limited observation experience. After graduating form college with no acceptances, eleven rejections under my belt and having to watch all of my friends go off to the PT schools of their dreams, I decided to take the year before the next cycle started to improve my application.

What did this consist of? Not much really. I retook the perquisite I got a C in and got a B. I got a full time rehab aide job to increase my clinical experience. I retook my GREs and drastically improved my score (needless to say after hours of studying and much sweat blood and tears) and got some additional certifications in things that Interest me and that I knew would interest prospective PT schools. I also wrote essays on PTCAS that I thought better captured why I wanted to be a PT and what made me unique compared to other qualified applicants.

The end result? I applied to 13 schools this cycle just to be on the safe side. As of now I've been accepted into 6 schools, I have received one full ride scholarship at my top choice school (a school which btw rejected me flat out last cycle), have turned down 3 interview invitations, am still waiting to hear back form one school that I've interviewed for and have only received one rejection thus far.

The moral of the story? Never give up! From a strictly grades stand point, I only improved my GPA by one grade. I did not have to get all As on retaken prerequisites nor did I need stellar GRE scores. Although being rejected by all of those schools hurt like hell, I now realize that it was the best thing that could have happen to me. Not only did I gain better insight into the feild of PT from my work as a rehab aide, and not only did I grow exponentially in my passion and desire to be a PT, but because of those reiections I was able to take a year to improve my application just enough to recieve a full ride at one of the best PT schoools in the country.

What I've learned from this process is that PT schools care much more about the uniqueness and motivation of an applicant than we think. If you are dedicated to becoming a PT your efforts will show and you will be accepted. Work hard, follow your own instincts and NEVER GIVE UP! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for posting this! I have been meaning to start a thread to tell all the applicants who were not accepted to keep their heads up. I too was rejected or wait listed to all 7 schools I applied to last cycle. I kicked butt and told myself to not give up. I spent the whole year improving my application in any way I could. I got a job as an Athletic Trainer running a rehab department in a chiropractic clinic. I raised my GPA, gained more certfications and licenses, and learned a ton more about physical therapy at my job. I interviewed so much better than the year before because I was abe to talk about my work experience. I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. I was accepted this year and start my DPT program in May. I believe I am so much more prepared for the program this year than I was last year. Moral of the story is just because you weren't accepted doesnt mean you have to give up your dream of being a physical therapist. Do all you can in the year between cycles and make yourself the best applicant you can. Keep your head held high and you will eventually get to where you want to be.

what school did you get the full ride from? Baylor? Awesome story! Way to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing this! I am doing basically what you have done, retaking a course for a better grade and getting more hours while working as a PT Aide. I'm hoping that this will help! My first time applying will be this next cycle so for the fall of 2014. Thanks for giving me a little more hope :)

Congrats on your story. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I will be attending MGH. If you go on my profile and look at my previous posts you will see my stats are posted. Good luck to everyone!

I will be attending MGH. If you go on my profile and look at my previous posts you will see my stats are posted. Good luck to everyone!

I was accepted to MGH also and pretty sure I'll attend. Do you have any clue of where you might live? I love the program but not too sure bout living in Boston? Just seems like a place I won't enjoy.

Awesome story, great motivation to always stay focused and give it your best! Good luck in PT school!

DPT21, thanks for the inspiring story! Do you think it is ok to get recomendation letters from the same people when you reapply?

DPT21, thanks for the inspiring story! Do you think it is ok to get recomendation letters from the same people when you reapply?

I got different LORs. I personally think that because I took time to strengthen my app I was given better LORs the second time around.

I was accepted to MGH also and pretty sure I'll attend. Do you have any clue of where you might live? I love the program but not too sure bout living in Boston? Just seems like a place I won't enjoy.

I'm using two apps to find one bedroom apts in the area: Zillow and PadMapper. I'm looking in the financial district, Charlestown, and no west of the Fenwick area. Yes, very expensive but I'm directing more loan money towards living exspenses since tuition is being covered.

This really helped me! My mom has been telling me retaking classes after graduating is a waste of my time to boost my gpa and I should pursue a Masters in something else. But I want to be a PT and dont want to give up yet. This is my first year applying I have received 1 rejection and waiting on 5 other schools. What certifications have you received to help out your application?

This really helped me! My mom has been telling me retaking classes after graduating is a waste of my time to boost my gpa and I should pursue a Masters in something else. But I want to be a PT and dont want to give up yet. This is my first year applying I have received 1 rejection and waiting on 5 other schools. What certifications have you received to help out your application?

I think your mom is wrong. Once again, retaking perquisites only helped my app and showed PT schools that I was serious about PT. At all of the schools that I interviewed for and was eventually accepted at I mentioned that this was my second year applying and that I had to retake some prereqs. My interviewers were all visiblly impressed by my motivation. In fact, one of the schools that I turned down mentioned in an email in response to my declination that I stood out as an applicant because of how motivated I was to get accepted this cycle. Now, this was true for the large amount of the schooLs that I applied to. I cannot speak for every school.

As for certifications, I got my license in massage therapy before entering my undergrad. I am currently enrolled in the Feldenkrias program in Baltimore. Feldenkrias is similar to the Alexander technique. A certification that will enhance your understanding of the body and that is deemed as an asset to the PT field may help you stand out when compared to other applicants

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm very curious as my GPA isn't the highest and will probably look to re-take some classes, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just curious, what was your previous/new gre score. and what was your previous/new ptcas cGPA?

Thanks in advance! Congrats, this really brought my hopes up.