my student loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maceo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any information on how to reconsolidate a student loan? I consolidated a few years back with a higher interest rate.. now i wanna lower my interest rate and these jokers are telling me i can't. seems totally unfair practice.. not student friendly by screwing me with this higher interest rate... should i just default?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have any information on how to reconsolidate a student loan? I consolidated a few years back with a higher interest rate.. now i wanna lower my interest rate and these jokers are telling me i can't. seems totally unfair practice.. not student friendly by screwing me with this higher interest rate... should i just default?

I don't think you can re-consolidate. That's what I was always told. Don't default though because you'll ruin your credit. Maybe you could negotiate lower payments?

Members don't see this ad :)

So you want a variable rate only if interest rates are below what you're paying, but you want it to be fixed if interest rates go above what you're paying, right?

There is nothing unfair about your situation. Everyone is allowed to reconsolidate once after they finish their education. You took that opportunity. You could have waited, and reconsolidated later. So YOU screwed YOURSELF

And I'm curious why you think defaulting will get you a lower interest rate . . .

You've gotten the chance of a lifetime, to have the government pay for you to go to school to study anything you want, for any amount of time you want. And not only that, but the government will loan you the money at a discounted rate. And get this, they'll even pay the interest on a portion of your loans while you're in school and during your residency! And you're upset because your interest rate is a few points higher than someone who took out those loans at a time when borrowing money was cheaper. Yeah, it sure sounds like you're getting screwed. You should just default and have the working class of this country (i.e. taxpayers) make it up to you.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but your sense of entitlement is really irritating to me.

I think the only way you can consolidated again is if you have loans that were not in your orginal consolidation, or you consolidated your loans with your spouses. I don't know first hand, so you will have to do some research. If true, your interest rate would be a weighted average.

So you want a variable rate only if interest rates are below what you're paying, but you want it to be fixed if interest rates go above what you're paying, right?

There is nothing unfair about your situation. Everyone is allowed to reconsolidate once after they finish their education. You took that opportunity. You could have waited, and reconsolidated later. So YOU screwed YOURSELF

And I'm curious why you think defaulting will get you a lower interest rate . . .

You've gotten the chance of a lifetime, to have the government pay for you to go to school to study anything you want, for any amount of time you want. And not only that, but the government will loan you the money at a discounted rate. And get this, they'll even pay the interest on a portion of your loans while you're in school and during your residency! And you're upset because your interest rate is a few points higher than someone who took out those loans at a time when borrowing money was cheaper. Yeah, it sure sounds like you're getting screwed. You should just default and have the working class of this country (i.e. taxpayers) make it up to you.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but your sense of entitlement is really irritating to me.

damn... You do sound harsh. People wonder why doctors are getting screwed by the government over and over... declining reimbursements, medicare not paying for services, mid-levels taking over, loss of autonomy... It's because of attitudes like yours. Why are some of us so week and submissive? Grow a pair!

damn... You do sound harsh. People wonder why doctors are getting screwed by the government over and over... declining reimbursements, medicare not paying for services, mid-levels taking over, loss of autonomy... It's because of attitudes like yours. Why are some of us so week and submissive? Grow a pair!

I agree it does sound harsh, but I think it's odd when someone complains about the government lending them massive amounts of money below what the market rate was at the time. I mean, medical school loans are not an entitlement. The rules of government loans are well known, and none of us are being "screwed," or forced into this whole thing. I think the other issues you bring up aren't really related.

I would agree with you, but how educational loans are treated doesn't line up with how other loans are treated. You can always refinance your mortgage for example if you're able to get a better deal. It doesn't seem fair that you can't do that with school loans.

I agree it does sound harsh, but I think it's odd when someone complains about the government lending them massive amounts of money below what the market rate was at the time.

I take issue with a few of the statements here:

1. The loans we take out are not loans from the government, they are taken out from private lenders. The government subsidizes the interest on a small portion of our loans, and guarantees the loans for another portion.

2. The current student loan interest rate of 6.8% is HIGHER than mortgage rates (5.3%) which is odd given that student loans are guaranteed while mortgages are not (if the value of house collapses).

3. It is a bit bizarre that you can refinance a mortgage as many times as you like to take advantage of favorable financial considerations, but are not allowed to utilize the same strategy with student loans.

You can re-consolidate actually, you have to find out which companies do it. I have the same thing, I reconsolidated 2 years ago so now I have three interest payments each quarterly (1 from my reconsolidation, 1 from my variable rate loan after reconsolidation and 1 from this year where the interest is fixed).

At our financial aid exit interview we were told that the state loan company, providing we have good credit, would buy out our previously reconsolidated loan and combine everything together.

You should check around to see if some loan companies can do that. The deal I got, as I am practicing out of state, is a fixed interest rate of 1.24% with a 0.45% reduction on principal balance with first 18 payments on time.

You can re-consolidate actually, you have to find out which companies do it. I have the same thing, I reconsolidated 2 years ago so now I have three interest payments each quarterly (1 from my reconsolidation, 1 from my variable rate loan after reconsolidation and 1 from this year where the interest is fixed).

At our financial aid exit interview we were told that the state loan company, providing we have good credit, would buy out our previously reconsolidated loan and combine everything together.

You should check around to see if some loan companies can do that. The deal I got, as I am practicing out of state, is a fixed interest rate of 1.24% with a 0.45% reduction on principal balance with first 18 payments on time.

Linus2007,
That rate is really good. Will you share with us where you found it?

Sallie Mae has ceased with it's federal consolidation loan program. Over 50 lenders have followed suit.

I say shut down lending to the majority of degrees which are useless, and divert funds to priority areas such as medicine, engineering, but, hey, what do I know? Gotta support the Yale art student in her goal to abort her children and tape it, you know.

If you enroll as a 'full time student' for a couple of months (e.g. a college based language course), and borrow a couple of $100 to pay for the tuition, you may be able to get another bite at the apple.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you enroll as a 'full time student' for a couple of months (e.g. a college based language course), and borrow a couple of $100 to pay for the tuition, you may be able to get another bite at the apple.

Even if the OP could reconsolidate his loans with a new loan, his previous loans have been consolidated already and are now at a fixed interest rate. So if he were to reconsolidate the resulting interest rate would be a weighted average of his prior loans with the higher rate and the current loan at the lower rate. It wouldn't do anything to lower the average interest rate on his total debt.

So if he were to reconsolidate the resulting interest rate would be a weighted average of his prior loans with the higher rate and the current loan at the lower rate. It wouldn't do anything to lower the average interest rate on his total debt.

That is not how it worked for my wife.

New lender, new loan, buys out old loan.

While I, as a taxpayer, don't want to pay for a default, I have to say, I'd rather pay for education as a whole than a useless war!!! In addition, I feel that, investing in education is the only way we can remain competitive in the world market and I am troubled by the fact that our federal and state governments do not understand how important it is for our future that we provide qulity education to EVERYbody.

In my observation, rich, entitled people (like you?) neglect the fact that MOST people in the US, even if they are intelligent, are CUT OFF from quality education at ALL levels due to money. I think that may be because rich, entitled people (like you?) THINK that everybody has the same opportunity you had, because you ignore certain FACTS!!! Sorry if I sound harsh, "but YOUR sense of entitlement is irritating me." You sould just like the trust fund kids that I went to school with! You seem to completely dismiss the reality of those that are less fortunate, and worse, BLAME them for their own situation!!!!

First, you imply that there were choices available in this situation that probably were NOT! For example, you say, "you could've reconsolidated later". How do you know that? In my case, I waited as long as I could, but the interest rates during the real estate boom were so high for so long, people really couldn't wait it out. There is only so long you can wait to reconsolidate! Also, just because Greenspan lowers the prime rate doesn't mean in "trickles down" to PRIVATE borrowers!!! Often when you reconsolidate, your interest rate remains variable, AND (MOST IMPORTANT) capitalizes EVERY QUARTER!!!

Second, what is wrong with wanting to secure a new interest rate when the prime drops if you have the credit to do so? Isn't that what homeowners do when they refinance? Isn't that what you do with your credit card and car insurance companies when you've established yourself as "low risk"? Why is it that you are only allowed to consolidate and "refinance" your student loans ONCE, and then, if interest rates drop after then, you are locked out forever unless you pay a penalty? No other loan is locked in like that. In fact, many I know refinanced their homes, at a FIXED rate that DOES NOT capitalize to pay off their student loans. Why is it that student loans are offered at WORSE terms than any other loan?

Also... why is it that student loan debt is EXEMPT from bankruptcy? I think that the companies that hold your loans don't negotiate with you because they know they don't have to! Credit card companies will work with you because they know that they will get nothing if you claim bankruptcy, yet student loan companies will not compromise because they know that the debt you hold with them can NEVER be written off (unless you become disabled and destined to live below the poverty line for the rest of your life!)

Third, the government is NOT loaning you the money!!! The goverment is only "co-signing" the loan! Only a person that has NEVER HAD to borrow money to pay for their education would think that the government is actually PAYING for anything! They may pay for interest on a FRACTION of your loans (if you qualify), but this amount is NOTHING when compared to what ALL other "first-world", modern, nations provide! Once more, you (me) are DISQUALIFIED from receiving financial aid if your parents make "too much", yet they are not required to actually GIVE you any money!!!

Think about this for a minute. In the global economy of today, the ONLY advantage the US has is in INNOVATION. Due to unions, we can't manufacture products at a competitive rate or quality. Due to poverty, we can't supply cheap labor. All we have going for us is our ability to create cutting edge ideas in science, computers, medicine, and the like. Yet we do not FUND public education!!! Our ONLY way of remaining competitive is to stay SMARTER than the world competition, but we continue to allow only the rich, the super smart (Asperger's?), and the super poor to access and afford the best of higher education.

The "taxpayers" SHOULD be paying more for education! Not just because EVERY OTHER FIRST WORLD NATION does so at a MUCH HIGHER rate already and we should keep up with norms, but also because it is the only hope for our economic future!!!

"Sorry if I'm sounding harsh..." but I think that you might have discounted the importance of funding education at this point in our economic future AND made certain assumptions regarding opportunity that were (are) not really available to everybody.

IMNSHO, being a "doctor" implies that you seek, above all, not to cause harm. When you BLAME others for conditions created by their social environment, you not only cause harm, but you also block any REAL healing or growth that could take place. The ideal of "no harm" is best reached by saying, "above all, I will not judge others, but try to see their point of view and give them new options and hope".

In my experience, change does not happen through shame and blame, it happens through understanding and finding mutual ground. Long ago, I gave up on focusing my energy on political change in favor of individual change because I realized that EVERYBODY is doing the best that they can with the resources they have available. I realized that people blame others because it gives them the FALSE illusion that, given the same circumstances, THEY would have been able to avoid the same fate. This is NOT TRUE. PLEASE, check yourself and show some empathy! How you treat others is a better sign of your personality than how you judge them!

As the loans are federally backed and or funded, the rate is written into law and it is currently the weighted average fixed for the life of the loan. If you had consolidated previously with a federal consolidator (bank) your only option would be to consolidate with Direct Loans (the Department of Education itself).
Years ago consolidations were very lucrative for lenders considering the rates for students fell to below 3% after Sept 11th. At the same time, lenders essentially had a 9.5% guaranteed rate of return. The other 6.5% would be coming from the taxpayers throughout the length of your entire repayment. That's much of the reason the rates were changed to a 6.8% fixed because the cost to the government basically undermined all of educational funding and still is years later.
Lenders also had their additional payment cut by the feds so they are all getting out of the consolidation game and some aren't wasting their resources on federally backed loans but are putting their dollars into private (non-fed backed) loans where the rate of return will be higher for them. Or they are just crying poor so the feds will increase their allowance payments since when they were cut, the lenders were furious. I guess it's hard to give up your private jet...
In short, your federal loans so cost the country something in an interest subsidy while deferred and then a special allowance payment as well throughout the length of your entire repayment. They are also the only loans that allow you to defer, forbear, be forgiven if you die or become totally disabled, have an income contingent repayment plan with loan forgiveness etc... I don't think you'll ever see a mortgage with that perk so even though the rate seems higher, it should be since there is no asset to liquidate if you cannot pay nor an insurance cost for you.
I deal with many international students who have no options for funding from their own countries-- only the exceptional get a shot at college nevermind med school since it is paid for by the gov't. What makes America so great is that you have a chance to do anything, go to any med school you are accepted to regardless of your financial ability. What may at first seems like a curse is really quite a blessing.

As the loans are federally backed and or funded, the rate is written into law and it is currently the weighted average fixed for the life of the loan. If you had consolidated previously with a federal consolidator (bank) your only option would be to consolidate with Direct Loans (the Department of Education itself).
Years ago consolidations were very lucrative for lenders considering the rates for students fell to below 3% after Sept 11th. At the same time, lenders essentially had a 9.5% guaranteed rate of return. The other 6.5% would be coming from the taxpayers throughout the length of your entire repayment. That's much of the reason the rates were changed to a 6.8% fixed because the cost to the government basically undermined all of educational funding and still is years later.
Lenders also had their additional payment cut by the feds so they are all getting out of the consolidation game and some aren't wasting their resources on federally backed loans but are putting their dollars into private (non-fed backed) loans where the rate of return will be higher for them. Or they are just crying poor so the feds will increase their allowance payments since when they were cut, the lenders were furious. I guess it's hard to give up your private jet...
In short, your federal loans so cost the country something in an interest subsidy while deferred and then a special allowance payment as well throughout the length of your entire repayment. They are also the only loans that allow you to defer, forbear, be forgiven if you die or become totally disabled, have an income contingent repayment plan with loan forgiveness etc... I don't think you'll ever see a mortgage with that perk so even though the rate seems higher, it should be since there is no asset to liquidate if you cannot pay nor an insurance cost for you.
I deal with many international students who have no options for funding from their own countries-- only the exceptional get a shot at college nevermind med school since it is paid for by the gov't. What makes America so great is that you have a chance to do anything, go to any med school you are accepted to regardless of your financial ability. What may at first seems like a curse is really quite a blessing.
can i reconsolidate or not?

In my observation, rich, entitled people (like you?) neglect the fact that MOST people in the US, even if they are intelligent, are CUT OFF from quality education at ALL levels due to money.

I don't think I've ever been accused of being rich, but there's a first for everything. I do consider myself privileged . . . I think anyone who goes to medical school is. I have taken full advantage of the Stafford, Perkins, and other private alternative loan programs to pay 100% of my medical school education and living costs at a private medical school . . . so, I have a hell of a lot debt. I think the whole thing was a steal. I mean, I brought no cash to the table, and I didn't have to come from a wealthy family to fund my education either. All I had to do was get into school, do well, and be willing to take a huge financial risk.

I think the loan program we have now is a great thing - that anyone can fund their way through college and graduate school. I think the terms should be better, and I'm dissapointed with the changes that W has made. I do wish the rates were lower, and that you could consolidate any time you wanted. You and others have some good points about comparing mortgages to student loans. However, I do disagree with you when you say that educational loans have the worst possible terms of any other loan on the market.

I would be all for more public funding of higher education and maybe a few less stealth bombers. I guess what I was reacting to was the whole "I'm getting screwed by these jokers so maybe I'll just default and let other people clean up my mess" kind of attitude. I don't know if paying a few extra points in interest for money that allowed you to become a doctor really equates to "getting screwed." But if it does then I guess I've just made a big mistake.

You may reconsolidate with Direct Loans only BUT it will still be a weighted average fixed rate (rounded to the nearest .8%) so if your question was "can I consolidate and get a lower rate" the answer is "no." If you wanted, you could potentially have them consolidated by a non-federal loan but that would be in my estimation a really bad idea even if the rate was a point lower because you'd lose all of the benefits (and safety nets) of it being overseen by the feds. You could also borrow a consumer loan and pay it off but again: bad, bad, very bad idea. I wouldn't even do it if the rate was 3 points lower, not worth the risk.
It also wasn't George Bush who is to blame for the rates, it is all of us who did not understand how the game was played or bothered to question why there was such a huge profit in a social program. Instead some schools decided to become lenders themselves, fund the loan and then sell it to the highest bidder to get a payment (their lending partner). I still am ashamed of FA's who thought this was a good idea for students and I don't care where they spent the money or how they rationalize what I considered a very sleezy practice from day 1. It is part of the reason your rates won't go down. When I point it out to my colleagues (or anything to do with the mess of lending) I get a nose slap.

the whole business of student loans is a sham.....

Also... why is it that student loan debt is EXEMPT from bankruptcy? I think that the companies that hold your loans don't negotiate with you because they know they don't have to! Credit card companies will work with you because they know that they will get nothing if you claim bankruptcy, yet student loan companies will not compromise because they know that the debt you hold with them can NEVER be written off (unless you become disabled and destined to live below the poverty line for the rest of your life!)

If it wasn't a lot more students would go this route. Lenders would realize what a poor risk students were and the whole student loan system would collapse.

Why do you think there should be a system where you get money and never have to pay it back? If you don't like the terms, don't borrow it in the first place. And no, I'm not rich. I'll be paying for school with a big stack of loans just like most people.

I'm fine w/ student loans as a general concept, w/ the system set up as it is.

What I'm NOT fine w/ is that lenders can remove incentives at any point, even after you've signed the loan assuming those incentives would be in place when it comes time to repay the loans. Of course they're legally allowed to do that, but it's very screwy (and I'm sure frustrating, when it comes time for me to start repaying and finding out that I don't get the interest reduction that I was promised).

I don't think I've ever been accused of being rich, but there's a first for everything. I do consider myself privileged . . . I think anyone who goes to medical school is. I have taken full advantage of the Stafford, Perkins, and other private alternative loan programs to pay 100% of my medical school education and living costs at a private medical school . . . so, I have a hell of a lot debt. I think the whole thing was a steal. I mean, I brought no cash to the table, and I didn't have to come from a wealthy family to fund my education either. All I had to do was get into school, do well, and be willing to take a huge financial risk.

I think the loan program we have now is a great thing - that anyone can fund their way through college and graduate school. I think the terms should be better, and I'm dissapointed with the changes that W has made. I do wish the rates were lower, and that you could consolidate any time you wanted. You and others have some good points about comparing mortgages to student loans. However, I do disagree with you when you say that educational loans have the worst possible terms of any other loan on the market.

I would be all for more public funding of higher education and maybe a few less stealth bombers. I guess what I was reacting to was the whole "I'm getting screwed by these jokers so maybe I'll just default and let other people clean up my mess" kind of attitude. I don't know if paying a few extra points in interest for money that allowed you to become a doctor really equates to "getting screwed." But if it does then I guess I've just made a big mistake.

First - It's totally f'd up that a person with all the smarts, promise, drive, and ability to become a doctor in this country, but none of the money, has to rely on student loans to begin with. As I stated before, the ONLY hope for our economy in the world market is if we invest in scientific innovation, since we can't compete with other nations based on cheap, quality labor. From an investment standpoint, our country would be better off funding higher education for all that demonstrate that they have promise than ANY other government project.

As it is today, the poor get grants, the rich have their parents pay (but nobody documents this, so they end up getting grants intended for the poor because it LOOKS like they haven't earned any money while their parents foot the bill), and the middle class with divorced fathers (like me) that earn too much to qualify you for aid, but REFUSE to pay even a penny for your education, fall between the cracks, end up working full time, going to school full time, becoming stress cases, and taking out loans based on false promises of earning potential that double within a decade. Is this right?

Second - since the cost of education keeps going up, especially for graduate school at a quality university, the percent borrowed through private loans and UN-SUB staffords keeps going up! Also, the interest is compounded quarterly!!!! THIS is the REAL problem. In my case, even a person that didn't have to take a leave for medical reasons AND completed their disseration on time would've already been "below half time" for approx. two years. Since the interest for MOST of your loans is added to the principle quarterly, and most loans for a program such as mine are exempt from having interest paid by the goverment, I found that, within 6 years, the principle of these loans DOUBLED!!!

In any other first world nation this would NOT have been the case. They seem to understand that it is only through supporting the best and brightest minds that they can sustain a competitive edge in the global market.

In our country, only the brightest and those seen as "needy" get scholarships, while the middle class, once again, gets the shaft. We don't qualify for grants, so we work full time while going to school, which, in turn, makes it look like we earn too much to qualify for aid the next year, while our friends with parents that pay for everything, so they don't work and earn nothing, look like (on paper) that they are poor and they get the grants WE deserve.

I (we) are not asking for handouts. I only seek to increase awareness. Our only edge in the global market is through innovation... why not expand the opportunity for people to enter higher education and INNOVATE???

Seems student loans are somehow linked to America's culture wars. Still, maybe we should forego the ad hominen attacks for a while?