1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

My thoughts on Kaplan FLs Vs. Real

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum' started by IRE, Jun 24, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. IRE

IRE

Pre-Medical
    One man's opinion:

PS: Kaplan Was more difficult/easier scoring than AAMC but matched up to the real deal much more than AAMC. There was a little less calculations on the real, but Kaplan is great prep for it (wish i did more of them).
    Best Prep: Kaplan

VR: Kaplan is terrible. Way to detail question oriented. Theirs are tailored to work with their strategy. Honestly I didn't give their strategy a fair shake but I challenge you to find anyone who got over a 10 and actually used this nonsense. Don't waste your time unless you are getting less than 9s on this. EK and AAMC are the way to go.
    Best Prep: AAMC/EK

BS: Fine, pretty much the same as AAMC. The only thing to watch is the repitition. If you only did these you'd think every MCAT has a hemoglobin curve and a forty questions on the nervous system. On the other hand the AAMC lead you to believe the orgo will be very easy and barely covered. The real deal I took in May had some very specific topics. Not what was on it but good examples: Michael Addition, Ylide, etc. I completely skipped studying orgo because it was so easy on the AAMCs.
    Best Prep: Tie AAMC/Kaplan

People often talk about an initial score drop when switching from Kaplan to AAMC FLs. Don't worry about it. It's just getting used to a slightly different style. Do both because the real one is somewhere between the two.
  2. newtonsfriend

newtonsfriend

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the insight....I take my in well about 6 days. PS is by far my worst so I will really use kaplan these last days and try to improve.
  3. angeladav

angeladav

That's probably close to the review I would give it.
  4. Lunch Beast

Lunch Beast

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have to agree with your opinion on the Kaplan verbal. Their strategy is awful. I'm sure some people find it useful, but to me, it is just far too time consuming and I don't notice any difference when I don't use it. Lately I've just been doing AAMC full lengths, and my score is improving.

Kaplan's science prep is pretty good though.
  5. minutemen11

minutemen11

Pre-Medical
    please tell me im not the only one against the mapping for verbal... its not like a 10 page report where you need to remember exactly where something was said. i think its total bs.. i waste so much time on my map, when i do it without mapping i get the same score but have time left over to check my answers and prevent retarded mistakes.. and what the heck is the point of "predicting" what questions your going to get if you just glance over to the right side of the screen?! ahhh!! i always get frustrated when they talk strategy for VR in class...
  6. vandyam

vandyam Vulnera Sanentur

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, I would say that 99% of people agree that Kaplans VR strategy/passages in general are complete BS. I'm going to stop taking them b/c I was told they ask too many "detail oriented questions" and the passages are not indicative of the actual VR on the MCAT. I'm ording EK verbal b/c I hear it's the best one (in addition to AAMC verbal) -- you can find those on ebay for under 15 bucks.

So yea, stop passage mapping -- it's a total waste of ur time.