My Undergraduate Plan to Maximize my Chances for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JM2397

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman pre-dental student who is 100% determined to get into dental school. For a while now I have been thinking about what I need to do to give myself the best chance of getting in. I have sort of came up with this 4-year plan to guide me towards what I need to do. I am looking for advice on anything I have left out or if there is anything I could do that might help:

1. Play baseball: I am currently a baseball player at my university and I plan on playing it all 4 years. I feel like this will help teach me time management skills along with leadership skills.

2. Honors: I am in the honors program at my school and I hope to graduate with honors. It requires a minimum 3.5 gpa and community service hours, along with honors seminars and an independent research project that I will work on from junior to senior year.

3. Volunteer: I am currently on pace to volunteer 20 hours a semester and then I will volunteer when I can during the summer and winter. With baseball and academics it is hard to volunteer any more than I already am during the spring and fall semester. I have always wanted to coach or help coach a baseball team, so I am going to look into coaching a little League team over the summer. If I am too busy, assistant coaching is always an option.

4. Shadow: Over my winter and summer breaks I plan to shadow. I already have shadowing set up with my dentist back at home, and in the future I will shadow some other practices as well.

5. (Possibility) Start Club/Organization: I have been thinking about maybe starting a club starting my sophomore year. I am passionate about exercise and I think starting some sort of health clib at my school would be a good idea. I love cardio based exercises, so maybe have a club where we go on weekly group runs/walks or partake in a workout. It would have to be not so time consuming, maybe like a once a week thing. Just a thought.

6. Research: I ill be completing two research projects, one is 2-3 years and will be presented my senior year. Another is the honors project, in which I will come up with my own research and complete it independently.

If there is anything else I should do or add, please help a friend out! I feel like I have a lot on the table but I am willing to sacrifice some social life to pursue my goal.I know I can balance it all with a sport.

Members don't see this ad.

All that stuff is great, but i think your number one priority should be maintaining a high gpa?

These are awesome application boosters! but also remember one of the most important time management issues you will face is determining which pursuits come first. Always keep grades number 1, admissions committees wont care if your an all star or sat on the bench 4 yrs, wont care if you were the standout volunteer and even managed to attend that outreach the night before your final. remember if its between getting that win and getting that A in gen chem ALWAYS go for the scholastic endeavor.

All that stuff is great, but i think your number one priority should be maintaining a high gpa?

I just numbered off the things I planned to do in no particular order. Of course grades come first!