Mystery symptoms, Mystery patient.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jess_tonel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey wonder if you guys can help me identify what drugs this chap was under.....

Patient turns up in ER (A&E) claiming to have been spiked at a party frequented by Psychiatry students..........

patient previously healthy and well............................... until reporting these symptoms
After 3 hours: Patient feeling heavy eyes,, occasional problem retrieving correct word for verbal conversation.
Day 3 : Above symptoms worsen , demotivated, patchy long term memory, increased appetite, dry mouth, water consumption doubled/trebled, constipation. slightly off balance when first standing. sleep ok.
Day 7: Above symptoms persist. sleeping well
Day 8: Awake in night . heavy headedness lifted, sedative feeling waining , replaced with anxiety, confusion, suicidal urges, sharp stabbing headache in 'front half of Brain' from ear to ear. appetite still good.,
Day: 15: Headaches diminishing slowly, but still feeling persistent pressure just above eyes and in the temple, hands and feet feel weak and shakey, slurred speech, drooling from corners of mouth when eating, drinking, Patient reports lack of understanding with complex ideas. along with poor preplanning, feels low on emotion water consumption back to normal.
Day 22: Headaches lingering slightly, feeling of pressure above eyes, weakness of hands and feet lifted.occasional bouts of confusion. At this point patient not very conversational.
After initial scepticism I now believe the patient's story, what was he under? My guess is Atypical meds with other(s), but what?

Any Ideas what was used, I've double checked, patient did attend a party frequented by psychiatry students and pharmacists,

Members don't see this ad.

Any other information, such as more exam findings, imaging or labs.

The picture you describe doesn't really fit any direct medication effects as the time course is too long. Even very long duration medications such as aripiprazole would be shorter acting.

I can come up with quite a list for medication related leukoencephalopathy. There are a number of other, very unusual, but possible culprits that could result in something similar. There just isn't enough to go on here.