Name change in the middle of the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SphereGlobe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting married in the middle of the match and have a question about name change.

Ideally, the names on ERAS, NBME, and my travel documents would all be the same, but this won't be possible. I will change my name after submitting ERAS but before Step 2 CK and traveling. (The earliest I can receive my marriage certificate three days after ERAS is due)

So this is a bit awkward. Do I take step 2 CK using an old driver's license, after changing my name since I need to keep ERAS/NBME and CK in my name?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no legal reason why you can't change your name before marriage.

(Seems I did it by accident as my driver's license expired a few weeks before the wedding, and...)

You can change you name whenever you'd like. Just wait until after the match if you want to keep it simple, is there a hurry to change it?

My wife is going through this process now, changing your name is MUCH easier with a marriage license, which you won't get until you are officially married.

Reactions: 1 user
You wait.

Go ahead and go by "Mrs. MarriedSphereGlobe" in your personal life whenever you feel like it. Save the legal/professional name change crap for a point in your journey where things are a little more settled...like after you pass Step 3 and are getting ready to get your first real medical license.

Reactions: 3 users
Get married in September, change your name whenever. The name change gets initiated when you take your marriage certificate to get a new social security card and whatnot. Can be anytime after the wedding, even years and years later. Some of the systems, like passports, do charge you (more) if it's been >1 year since your wedding, but that's a minor hassle relative to everything else. If I were you, I'd register for ERAS/NRMP/etc under my maiden name, and then change at some point in the spring if it matters to you. At that point, you're already in all the systems that matter with a consistent name.

Just contact your school and ask them what the latest they'll accept a name change is if you want the new one on the diploma (my school wouldn't change anyones name in the system within the last few months of the school year b/c they were too lazy to do the paperwork). Or just get the diploma in your maiden name and worry about it at some later date.

It honestly doesn't matter very much, as far as ERAS/Match is concerned. Once you register, you get an AAMC ID (for ERAS) and an NRMP ID (for the match). Change your name all you want, your numbers stay the same. And I upload my rank list using your AAMC ID. Same with USMLE -- you'll have a USMLE ID linked to your ERAS account, so your scores will upload regardless of name changes.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone! Based on your advice, I'll aim to change my name after Step 2 CK and all my traveling but before getting my medical school diploma in the spring. I won't officially change anything with ERAS/NRMP until after the match since I am trackable by my USMLE/AAMC IDs anyway, at which point I will advise whatever programs I am matriculating into of the name change.

Thanks everyone! Based on your advice, I'll aim to change my name after Step 2 CK and all my traveling but before getting my medical school diploma in the spring. I won't officially change anything with ERAS/NRMP until after the match since I am trackable by my USMLE/AAMC IDs anyway, at which point I will advise whatever programs I am matriculating into of the name change.

I was searching for posts regarding name change process and came across this post from last year. I'm facing the same dilemma as you were, applying for match this year with both ERAS/NMRP under my maiden name. I have changed my name on other official documents such as license,ID and social security to my married name but wasn't sure about changing it on my ERAS application. I thought I could just do it after matching.
Could you please tell me how it worked out for you, the whole name changing bit after matching? I would really appreciate it!!

I was searching for posts regarding name change process and came across this post from last year. I'm facing the same dilemma as you were, applying for match this year with both ERAS/NMRP under my maiden name. I have changed my name on other official documents such as license,ID and social security to my married name but wasn't sure about changing it on my ERAS application. I thought I could just do it after matching.
Could you please tell me how it worked out for you, the whole name changing bit after matching? I would really appreciate it!!
Just leave ERAS/NRMP/the AAMC alone under your old name. When you match, send an email immediately to your new program letting them know of your new name before they fill out any paperwork for you.

Just leave ERAS/NRMP/the AAMC alone under your old name. When you match, send an email immediately to your new program letting them know of your new name before they fill out any paperwork for you.
Thank you so much! That was very helpful.