Name of Specific School in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bprior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to circumstances, I will only be applying to my state school which is very close to my hometown. This is the school I have always wanted to go to. A small piece of my personal statement is "my goal of getting accepted into dental school". Seeing that I'm only applying to this one school, would it be better if i just wrote "my goal of getting accepted into (insert school name here)"? Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying to just 1 school, then you can customize your personal statement for just that school. You would definitely be a stronger applicant for that school, as they would know that they are your number one choice, and not just a backup school.

Good luck.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking but good to have the reassurance!

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case, I guess I can ignore this warning from AADSAS:

Do NOT personalize your Personal Statement for a specific dental school. You can NOT make any edits to your Personal Statement after you have e-submitted your completed application to AADSAS.

If you are applying to multiple schools, which most people do, it would be foolish to personalize it for just one school.

agreed. although i would really suggest that you apply to more than just one school. apps are expensive but you really have to show that you want it. one girl told me that she sold all her jewelry to afford applications. (not that mine would be worth much.) work some odd jobs if you have to. but schools want to know that you want it REALLY badly. and applying to just one school doesn't show that. but if your circumstances are really that extreme, i would say go for it. use the school name. it wouldn't hurt you at that point.

This is the only Issue...what if you don't hear back from the state school and decide to add a few schools later in the cycle?...don't
Don't limit yourself.

Well my situation is that my girlfriend is 8 months pregnant and I won't be able to move her and the baby away from our families for four years.

Well my situation is that my girlfriend is 8 months pregnant and I won't be able to move her and the baby away from our families for four years.
Jesus, tough time to go to dschool. I think it you HAVE TO apply to just one school, then customizing your PS is a good idea. That said, I'll echo the others and tell you that if you really want dentistry, you should definitely apply to several schools. Getting into dschool is hit or miss.

Good luck with everything!

Given your circumstances op, U CAN personalize ps.Best of luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk