Name your top 5 DO Schools (Ignoring Cost)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theone1979

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I am interested in hearing people's list of top 5 DO schools, disregarding cost.

What I mean by this is to list the 5 DO schools you would most like to attend if you could simply snap your fingers and be accepted, and assuming that tuition is the same for all schools.

I know that tuitions vary quite a bit, and obviously cost plays a large role in what school one wants to attend, but for these purposes, lets just ignore the tuition issue and concentrate on what schools you would most like to attend, taking cost out of the picture.

I will go first (in no particular order)

1. UNECOM
2. DMU
3. Touro-CA
4. PCOM
5. NOVA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Regardless of your intention this will probably turn into a giant **** fest. Of course everyones #1 is going to be the one they were accepted at or are going to.

Fair enough, but that still leaves them 4 schools to name that they are NOT attending, but really impressed/attracted them.

And then of course there are the many ppl on this forum who have not been accepted or even applied so they will have no skewed answer.

And it's perfectly valid for people to list the school where they are matriculating as 1 of their top 5-I would be surprised if they didn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid thread

lol, harsh. Kinda true though. Everyone has different preferences and their own reasons. I don't particularly care where other people want to go, as long as it doesn't stop me from going to my #1 haha.

Stupid thread

How helpful.

Hope you mature a bit by the time you graduate.

And fiznat, yes of course everyone has their own top choices. You may not be curious about what schools appeal to other people, but I am.....which is why I made the thread. If the thread doesn't interest you that's fine, no one said you had to contribute.

yaaa its gonna vary so much. For example, I only consider two of those schools to be "great", one is "ok", and the other two "suck"

everyone is different (which is good) and even with ignoring cost, peoples preference for living is different. Most importantly, EVERYONE is gonna say their school is the best.

Okay I'll play nice...

No particular order.... OSU, PCOM, UMDNJ, MSUCOM, TCOM

I don't think you can really beat the resources of the state funded schools... They are state funded for a reason. However, if I had a 6th spot I'd throw in CCOM.

Lame thread...there is a huge thread already on here that is essentially the same thing...no need for another one. SO LAME....

Regardless of your intention this will probably turn into a giant **** fest. Of course everyones #1 is going to be the one they were accepted at or are going to.

I disagree... just because you are attending or accepted to a certain school doesn't make it your #1 regardless of tuition. Some people chose their school because of tuition, some people didn't apply to schools because they wouldn't get in or just simply didn't get into a school they like more. I would have likely taken CCOM and PCOM over AZCOM but I didn't have that choice. Also it would have been hard to choose between Western and AZCOM had I not gotten rejected....

I disagree... just because you are attending or accepted to a certain school doesn't make it your #1 regardless of tuition. Some people chose their school because of tuition, some people didn't apply to schools because they wouldn't get in or just simply didn't get into a school they like more. I would have likely taken CCOM and PCOM over AZCOM but I didn't have that choice. Also it would have been hard to choose between Western and AZCOM had I not gotten rejected....

I agree

My choices are due to location and class size. I love competition. NOVA, AZCOM, PCOM-PA, TCOM

These 3 I would list for sure:
TCOM (most federal research funding of all osteopathic medical schools)
PCOM (probably the best reputation of all osteopathic schools and has a decent residency program)
MSU-COM(Biggest Osteopathic residency program, ranked highly on US-news lists, well known in the mid-west)

I don't know who else, though. Would be either UMD-NJ, Ohio, Oklahoma, ccom, or, maybe, Des Monies.

Probably Ohio and UMD-NJ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for those that are contributing (positively) to the thread.

The reason I made this thread is because I am curious about what schools will "rise to the top" of people's lists.

I must also say I am surprised and dissapointed by the pointless and negative comments by some of the other posters.
Ok.....so you aren't interested in the thread...that's fine, don't contribute. But what is the point of dropping in just to make the extremely insightful and helpful "lame thread" comment.

Remember guys, we are going to be doctors-at some point we will have to start acting with the maturity and respect that comes with that title.

Wvsom, unecom, msucom, lecom-e, dmucom

The cost crippled any thought of me going to the first 3 however.

I would say in order:

1)PCOM
2)MSU (didnt apply due to high tuition for OOS)
3)KCUMB + CCOM + DMU
4)WesternP

I also disagree that people will list only those schools that accepted them (whether or not a school accepted you seems like a petty and immature criterion for one's list of top schools).
For instance, my list contains schools which did not accept me, and there are schools which accepted me which I did not list. There are schools which I loved, and the fact that they chose not to aceept me doesn't change my opinion of the school.

Pretty strange that the people who have deemed this thread "stupid" or "pointless" are the most active posters in the thread.

Again....if you aren't interested in the thread, why continue to post and derail the original idea of the thread.

I am interested in getting a general sense of what schools "rise to the top" of people's lists. It's not for anyone else to decide whether or not the thread is useful or has merit.
So why are you concerned with the fact that I have a personal interest in this information?

Thanks again for those who are contributing to the topic of this thread.

to me any school in the appalachian region is my primary goal as this is where I would want to practice, has the patient population I would like to treat and is also an area where I want to start a family one day. DCOM is and has been my number one choice since way before filling out my primary apps. Its purpose of existince fits my mission statement the most, I love what they have done so far, their facilities(althought they do not matter much) are top notch, the establishment of the school has come a long way and the region its in is perfect for my style of living.

however if I couldnt choose DCOM, the 4 left over would be

VCOM(def a top choice, love the schools mission and location)

WVSOM(despite the tuition I really like this school and the area its in)

TCOM(I love texas, its a great school and the tuition is nice to boot)

UMDNJ SOM(the school itself and the people are amazing, they really want you to suceed and it is truly a great medical institution)

everyones reasoning for their top 5 schools is different. I just think the other person was wondering why these schools were important to the individual. He wasnt asking what the top 5 DO schools were, I think he was merely inquiring about our oppinions as to what "our" top 5 where. no harm in asking that IMO. I think we need to lighten up a little fellas.

to me any school in the appalachian region is my primary goal as this is where I would want to practice, has the patient population I would like to treat and is also an area where I want to start a family one day. DCOM is and has been my number one choice since way before filling out my primary apps. Its purpose of existince fits my mission statement the most, I love what they have done so far, their facilities(althought they do not matter much) are top notch, the establishment of the school has come a long way and the region its in is perfect for my style of living.

however if I couldnt choose DCOM, the 4 left over would be

VCOM(def a top choice, love the schools mission and location)

WVSOM(despite the tuition I really like this school and the area its in)

TCOM(I love texas, its a great school and the tuition is nice to boot)

UMDNJ SOM(the school itself and the people are amazing, they really want you to suceed and it is truly a great medical institution)

everyones reasoning for their top 5 schools is different. I just think the other person was wondering why these schools were important to the individual. He wasnt asking what the top 5 DO schools were, I think he was merely inquiring about our oppinions as to what "our" top 5 where. no harm in asking that IMO. I think we need to lighten up a little fellas.

Exactly!!! I don't need a list of what are generally considered the "top DO schools". Most people would agree on what schools are considered the most "competitive DO schools" (PCOM, CCOM, DMU, etc).

I am interested in hearing what schools appeal most to various members here. DrYiot for example, your list is very interesting in that most of your top schools are not the most competitive schools (I mean no offense at all by that). Good luck with DCOM by the way!

Hey guys
, disregarding cost.

and assuming that tuition is the same for all schools.

lets just ignore the tuition issue

Sorry this just isn't the world we live in. This was a huge factor for me and I don't think I could just ignore it.

Exactly!!! I don't need a list of what are generally considered the "top DO schools". Most people would agree on what schools are considered the most "competitive DO schools" (PCOM, CCOM, DMU, etc).

I am interested in hearing what schools appeal most to various members here. DrYiot for example, your list is very interesting in that most of your top schools are not the most competitive schools (I mean no offense at all by that). Good luck with DCOM by the way!
thanks man! im pumped!
godd luck 2 you 2

I'd probably go WesternP, CCOM, TCOM, VCOM, NSUCOM.

Whenever I see these threads, KCOM is never mentioned. Has KCOM's reputation been overstated? Is that why it never appears in these type of threads?

Whenever I see these threads, KCOM is never mentioned. Has KCOM's reputation been overstated? Is that why it never appears in these type of threads?

I think KCOM's location is its major downfall when lists such as these arise.

To keep from being the complete doucher in this thread and OP indirectly tried to call me out above I will contribute to your game since I am working and have nothing better to do. Keep in mind #1 and #2 are very inter-changeable as I like them about the same.

1.) OUCOM
2.) PCSOM
3.) PCOM-Philly
4.) LMU-DCOM
5.) NOVA (school is beautiful and in South Florida, need I say more)

Now was that so hard???

So after making your list, may I ask, did you end up listing the schools that accepted you and omitting the schools that turned you down?

1) Touro-CA (near home, cabin, and UCSF (research))
2) TCOM (GF will be in Texas/good program/might practice in Texas)
3) LECOM-Bradenton (Liked PBL demo, near beach, awesome match list/board scores)
4) Western (Great reputation/went to undergrad in Socal)
5) Touro-NV (Everyone seemed happy here/know doctor mentors in area)

Last edited:
1)tcom
2)tcom
3)tcom
4)msucom
5)pcom

1) Western/COMP

2) TCOM (I'd have it #1 but that damn separate application knocks it down)

3) CCOM

4) NYCOM

5) NSUCOM

Mostly because all of these places apart from CCOM are somewhere I'd love to practice or do residency (though Chicago is great), and all of these schools are in or near major cities with a diverse array of pathology one can see during rotations. I'd add in PCOM but I've never been to Philly and if it's anything like Danny Devito makes it out to be, I'd be laughing too much to get any work done :)

My five would be:

1) MSUCOM - In state tuition baby! Near my family.
2) PCOM - Philly is awesome, great reputation.
3) CCOM - Near Chicago, which has become like a second home to me.
4) TCOM - I love Texas, cowboys, and mexican food. Could probably utilize my spanish.
5) KCOM - I read AT Still's autobiography and this is where it all started!

When I was applying, these were the places I liked--

1. TCOM (not just because I go here - it really was my first pick)
2. Nova
3. Western
4. PCOM
5. LECOM-B

My top 5 are:

1.Western: Nearby my hometown in So. Cal.
2.CCOM: Great reputation, rotations at cook county
3.PCOM: Philly, established
4.TCOM: IMO, I think this is the best DO school in the country.
5.Touro-CA: main reason for this school is near bay area.

1. TCOM- Texas, need I say more?
2. AZCOM- Would've ranked lower early last cycle, fell in love with it after interviewing.
3. OSUCOM- Goljan...
4. KCOM- Great reputation, though Kirksville looks mighty depressing during winter.
5. Couldn't care less.

1) TCOM (My #1 even before acceptance. I love Texas too much)
2) Western
3) UMDNJ SOM
4) CCOM
5) PCOM

1. RVUCOM
2. RVUCOM
3. RVUCOM
4. RVUCOM
5. RVUCOM

(no, I'm not serious, but it seems to get a rise out of everyone when you mention the place)

This is just my preference:

1) KCUMB
2) PCOM (gf would be much happier with me here, but I would rather be at ^)
3) Nova + DMU
4) TCOM (Didn't apply here, but wish I had)
5) WesternP + Touro-CA

1. ohio
2. western
3. nova
4. west virgina
5. touro-ca
:)

1. The one that accepted me
2. The one that accepted me
3. The one that accepted me
4. The one that accepted me
5. The one that accepted me

1. WesternU
2. WesternU
3. Nova
4. PCOM
5. AZCOM

I'd add in PCOM but I've never been to Philly and if it's anything like Danny Devito makes it out to be, I'd be laughing too much to get any work done :)

ROFL.

Philly is everything like Danny Devito makes it out to be. ;)

1. RVUCOM
2. RVUCOM
3. RVUCOM
4. RVUCOM
5. RVUCOM

(no, I'm not serious, but it seems to get a rise out of everyone when you mention the place)

Haha! Good stuff, but in all fairness RVUCOM really isn't that bad. I went there for an interview and the facilities were pretty nice and the faculty was very welcoming. It just seems like a new medical school trying to get on its feet.

CCOM Class of 2015!:)

NYCOM- 20 minutes from New York and affiliated with every major hospital in that area such as maimonides. Great board scores. GREAT match list. Great area to live.
PCOM- Around for over 100 years and competing with PENN, TEMPLE, DREXEL, JEFFERSON etc. Great area to live.
TCOM- Great school with great research.
LECOM- What they are doing is impressive. Opening three campuses, and making sure that they maintain a good reputation. 100 % and 98% board pass rates at Bradenton and Erie. PA is the most DO friendly state and they are affiliated with a top 100 hospital in Hamot that just made a deal to be apart of UPMC a top 10 hospital world wild.

NSU-COM
TUCOM-CA
KCUMB
CCOM
NYCOM

Location was a huge deal for me, and although I'm a california guy, nova sold me on their setting, facilities, and rotation setup.

:)

1. MSU-COM
2. Nova
3. CCOM
4. KCUMB
5. NYCOM