Naplex Fail....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KennyT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I recently took the NAPLEX, and I failed... Got a 74.... Worst feeling ever. Has anyone had any luck or heard of anyone who has had their score changed from the "score review" that you can submit for $100. I went ahead and did it, but I'm thinking that I probably just threw away $100. If there is a 1% chance that it could be changed though, it will have been worth it.

Word of advice for anyone who hasn't taken it yet. It is harder than in the past. The math questions are easy, the biostat questions are easy, but there just isn't that much math on the test. I had tons of chemo, HIV, ID, and hepatitis questions. Very few questions on big disease states like hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, etc. I really didn't take the NAPLEX very seriously because I have heard from everyone in the past that it is such a joke. I would imagine if I'd studied more than just the math, it would've been a little easier, but it wasn't what I expected at all. Don't rely on just the math to pass.

Anyone else fail this year or this new version of the test (post-November 2015)? I have talked to several people who passed with 76-80, which makes me feel even worse because I barely missed it. Such a costly mistake. Still get Grad-Intern pay, but now I get to do bitch work for another 3 months...

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that happened. I am waiting for my score now and am freaking out. At least your still getting grad intern pay that's a super huge positive so focus on enjoying that and using the time to become even better prepared! Now you know where to focus.

Well, I recently took the NAPLEX, and I failed... Got a 74.... Worst feeling ever. Has anyone had any luck or heard of anyone who has had their score changed from the "score review" that you can submit for $100. I went ahead and did it, but I'm thinking that I probably just threw away $100. If there is a 1% chance that it could be changed though, it will have been worth it.

Word of advice for anyone who hasn't taken it yet. It is harder than in the past. The math questions are easy, the biostat questions are easy, but there just isn't that much math on the test. I had tons of chemo, HIV, ID, and hepatitis questions. Very few questions on big disease states like hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, etc. I really didn't take the NAPLEX very seriously because I have heard from everyone in the past that it is such a joke. I would imagine if I'd studied more than just the math, it would've been a little easier, but it wasn't what I expected at all. Don't rely on just the math to pass.

Anyone else fail this year or this new version of the test (post-November 2015)? I have talked to several people who passed with 76-80, which makes me feel even worse because I barely missed it. Such a costly mistake. Still get Grad-Intern pay, but now I get to do bitch work for another 3 months...

I will keep my fingers crossed for you for that one point!! How long will it be before you hear back from NABP?

You are not alone. I have taken it three times now.... My first attempt was back in Aug with a score of 61. Then I took it again in January and got a 55! I was so devestated. Then I bunkered down and bought PNN. I constantly listented to the lectures over and over, did Exammaster and got 70-80% on them and went over a study guide that I made. I took it last week and I just found out that I got a 72!!! 72!!! So close!!! Let me know how score review goes for you because I am doing it too. Typically in my state it takes 6+ days to get our scores but my score came in within 5 days which is weird. So I am hoping a mistake was made. Idk it's worth a shot. Otherwise I guess I have to do remediation again. Has anyone heard if ProntoPass is anygood?
Did you study just PNN this time? I don't really think protonpass will help, it just has so general information.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I got the 61, I used a 2013 version of Rxprep, the review the school gave me and Kisspharm. Then for the second attempt I used those again and got the 55. I just used PNN for the third attempt and it got up to a 72. So it really does help. I think what killed me was biostats (there was a lot of it on my exam) and interpreting the data which is something I've always had a hard time with. Pronto Pass might not be a great helper but maybe it might help me somewhat with math. I tend to go to fast in calculations and make stupid mistakes. It doesn't hurt.
I agree protonpass math is a good practice, they have some biostat too. Hope you will do fine this time.

I am riding in the same boat, just finished school already passed MPJE and in Naplex failed by 2 points. I have also ordered the score review yeasterday but I dont think it gonna make any changes in the score.

Hey there,

sorry to hear that you did not pass the NAPLEX. It sucks. I probably would not have paid $100 for score review. The test is scored as you take it. The moment you clicked "end exam" you had a score. I would not hold my breath for that.

Hopefully, this makes you feel better and not worse. In any case, with all due respect and sympathy for your situation I can tell you that you did not barely "miss it". A score of 74 is a scaled score and represents a level of ability. A scaled score is also not a "curved" score. Each one of your answers, both correct and incorrect, are assigned a level of ability. Therefore, even an incorrect answer receives a "weight" in a way because the test selects the next question based on that level of ability.

Here is the explanation from the MPJE Registration Bulletin.
"The examination is assembled as you answer questions, using information recorded and completed during the examination to influence the composition of the remainder of the examination. When you respond to computer-selected MPJE questions, the adaptive technology will assess your answers and use that information to select your next test question. The computer will then select a question suited to your estimated ability level from the test’s question pool. Your ability level will be estimated from a combination of your responses (right and wrong answers) and the attributes of the questions that you were assigned. "

Hope that helps. .Study hard and you'll pass. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Same thing happened to me, did you get your score review back? Did your score change? Im trying to decide if I should do the same, thanks!

I am riding in the same boat, just finished school already passed MPJE and in Naplex failed by 2 points. I have also ordered the score review yeasterday but I dont think it gonna make any changes in the score.
Hey I'm trying to decide if I should do the score review as well, how long deos it take to get back? Did your score change?Thanks!

Hey I'm trying to decide if I should do the score review as well, how long deos it take to get back? Did your score change?Thanks!
i dont see any change in score in NABP website and I think they have already send something to my address. I am expecting it to get it in 2 days.
dont waste your money.

i dont see any change in score in NABP website and I think they have already send something to my address. I am expecting it to get it in 2 days.
dont waste your money.

I'm thinking to do the same and curious to know if your score changed after the score review.
Thanks

Natural1253,

Are you willing to sell your book to me, or have me borrow it please?