NAPLEX FailureS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is me.
Applied to two schools of pharmacy, got into them both.
Received scholarships from pre-pharm and Midwestern University while in school.
Never got a grade below a C.
Almost got straight A's on my rotations.
Worked 3 years in retail pharmacy as a certified pharmacy technician.
Graduated Cum Laude with my PharmD degree in March of this year.
Studied one month for the NAPLEX. Failed it in April with a score of 52.
Increased my resources to 4 books and an online question bank of 1000 questions and studied for 2 1/2 months 8 to 18 hours a day everyday.
Took the NAPLEX my second time on October 14th.
Just found out that I scored a 74 :eek:- passing score being a 75.
What is going on here? Why can't I pass this test?
I know WAY more than what I was tested on and I definitively know more than "minimal competency," which is required for the exam.
All of my 5 resources used actual body weight in all of the calculations.
Did not dawn on me until after the test that I may have needed to use ideal or adjusted body weight on the calculations.
To those of you who have passed or failed and then passed the NAPLEX, did you use ideal and adjusted body weights in your calculations? Do you think this exclusion could be the reason for my failing scores?
I had A LOT of math and extremely complicated patient cases on my exam this last time. So complicated in fact, that they had disease states that I had never encountered in my 7 years of pharmacy school.
I have to wait until mid-January 2011 to try it again. What do I study in the meantime? What resources have you used that allowed you to pass the NAPLEX? What am I missing? Any help, advice, stories, suggestions, encouragement anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dr. Chris, PharmD

Members don't see this ad.

NaplexfailureS,

I am more or less under the same circumstances, first time around I scored 67 second 60..and I have vast experience in pharmacy, on my latest attempt I felt my exam was getting harder questions as I progressed, I left the place with a searing Head Ache and thinking that because of the difficulties I must have had a chance and...well is history. I guess we did not answer the very best answers and hence the exam gave us bad marks. I guess I tried really hard to encompass many scenarios with what could have been a simple question. I do not know. I am about to take a refresher course, because I just cannot be wasting my time and money on re-takes. If you want to know more PM. Good luck Dr. Christina

Oncopharm2009

This is me.
Applied to two schools of pharmacy, got into them both.
Received scholarships from pre-pharm and Midwestern University while in school.
Never got a grade below a C.
Almost got straight A's on my rotations.
Worked 3 years in retail pharmacy as a certified pharmacy technician.
Graduated Cum Laude with my PharmD degree in March of this year.
Studied one month for the NAPLEX. Failed it in April with a score of 52.
Increased my resources to 4 books and an online question bank of 1000 questions and studied for 2 1/2 months 8 to 18 hours a day everyday.
Took the NAPLEX my second time on October 14th.
Just found out that I scored a 74 :eek:- passing score being a 75.
What is going on here? Why can't I pass this test?
I know WAY more than what I was tested on and I definitively know more than "minimal competency," which is required for the exam.
All of my 5 resources used actual body weight in all of the calculations.
Did not dawn on me until after the test that I may have needed to use ideal or adjusted body weight on the calculations.
To those of you who have passed or failed and then passed the NAPLEX, did you use ideal and adjusted body weights in your calculations? Do you think this exclusion could be the reason for my failing scores?
I had A LOT of math and extremely complicated patient cases on my exam this last time. So complicated in fact, that they had disease states that I had never encountered in my 7 years of pharmacy school.
I have to wait until mid-January 2011 to try it again. What do I study in the meantime? What resources have you used that allowed you to pass the NAPLEX? What am I missing? Any help, advice, stories, suggestions, encouragement anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dr. Chris, PharmD

Hi Chris,

Which resources are you using to study? From my experience with both the NAPLEX and CPJE, I recommend using the Rxprep book and videos and Prontopass math cards. For the NAPLEX, I always used IBW for the calculations unless the question specified otherwise or unless it was obvious that the patient was obese in which case I used the Adjusted. I had at least 12 questions on the NAPLEX that required these calculations in order to answer the questions. January will be here before you know it. Take a week or so off to relax and then get back to studying. I highly recommend Rxprep and Prontopass. If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a message. I know it is frustrating but hang in there and Good luck to you!!!

So sorry to hear that,but dont lose hope you will certainly pass this time. I recommend chasenaplex.com practice tests to have a wider perspective for naplex. It really helped me a lot. You can try their sample tests,though it doesn't have any calculation and stats questions but the paid ones do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep taking the test until you pass. You will pass. I would focus more on test taking skill and being in good mental/physical condition on the test day. Don't worry too much because you will pass sooner or later.

Give your brain plenty of rest before the test . Taking creatine once daily for a month before the test could help too.

Last edited:
My resources include "Passing Score Guaranteed" Naplex Review Guide by Kaplan, Kaplan Lecture notes book 2009, Midwestern Universitys book that came with their cram course, a book solely dedicated to pharmaceutical calculations, and an online question bank of 1000 test prep questions also from Kaplan.

The more people I ask, the more varying answers I get regarding actual, ideal, and adjusted body weights. I've heard everything from 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%, and 40% over actual, use adjusted. And for adjusted I've heard a factor of .3 or .4. None of this information narrows it down, and certainly none of it clues me into what the NAPLEX uses. I've tried calling hospital pharmacies to see what they use, and they all have site specific or practitioner specific rules. One pharmacist even HUNG UP ON ME, saying that I was CHEATING.

The Board of Pharmacy actually called me this morning, less than 24 hours after contacting them. She said it wasn't the calculations that killed me, but it was that I ran out of time before answering the last 6 questions.

One instructor at school thinks its test anxiety. Another administrator at school thinks I am over-thinking everything. She recommends that I take some time to read about test taking strategies. The only problem with that is most of the books are geared towards specific tests; GRE, GMAT, ACT, SAT, NCLEX, etc. Most of them are meant for students still in school trying to excel at in school examinations and they make no mention of licensure examinations.

EVERYONE, every single person that I have talked to says that I have the intelligence. I have the knowledge. I just cannot fathom what is going wrong.

NaplexfailureS,

I am more or less under the same circumstances, first time around I scored 67 second 60..and I have vast experience in pharmacy, on my latest attempt I felt my exam was getting harder questions as I progressed, I left the place with a searing Head Ache and thinking that because of the difficulties I must have had a chance and...well is history. I guess we did not answer the very best answers and hence the exam gave us bad marks. I guess I tried really hard to encompass many scenarios with what could have been a simple question. I do not know. I am about to take a refresher course, because I just cannot be wasting my time and money on re-takes. If you want to know more PM. Good luck Dr. Christina

Oncopharm2009

Oncopharm,
I'm so pround to hear that you want to go into oncology, at least that is what I'm presuming from your profile name. These are the sickest of the sick. They are dying. Our oncology drug pool is filled with poisons that will "hopefully" kill the diseased cells and leave the healthy ones alone. These people are fighting for their lives. I have so much empathy for them. I lost my uncle to cancer.

I've been considering taking the 3-day, $500 NAPLEX crash course from Kaplan if they offer it in my area. In addition to that I am taking the recommendations from other students/PharmD's as to what resources they used and I am taking the recommendation from an administrator at school that I need to spend some time on general standardized test taking strategies.

I just CANNOT handle failing it again. That would mean that I need to take REMEDIAL classes! My God. I am not stupid. I know this material. The second time I took it, I was confident going in, confident during the test, and confident after the test that I had passed. It cuts like a dull blade to find out that you have failed by ONE point. It makes me think that the world is against me.

I feel for you. That must have hurt to get a lower score the second time. How long did you study? What did you use to study?

Chris

Keep taking the test until you pass. You will pass. I would focus more on test taking skill and being in good mental/physical condition on the test day. Don't worry too much because you will pass sooner or later.

Give your brain plenty of rest before the test . Taking creatine once daily for a month before the test could help too.

I am attempting the NAPLEX ONE MORE TIME in January. And then I give up. 7 years, $150,000 down the drain. All the sacrifices, strife, and struggles I went through, for NOTHING.

I have so much compassion, kindness, empathy, as well as intelligence to share with mankind. This world would be losing a great pharmacist.

i was an average student in pharm school. i passed naplex this year without much effort though. we can have a weekend crash course on naplex if you want to fly to SF.. i think i can help you pass. i will push you to your limit. :)

Well you should study straight for 6 months instead of 2.5 months. It is a hard test and I hope God will help us in the end.

i was an average student in pharm school. i passed naplex this year without much effort though. we can have a weekend crash course on naplex if you want to fly to SF.. i think i can help you pass. i will push you to your limit. :)

What is the crash course in SF? Who is conducting it and where will it be. Can you post the website for it please.
Thanks
L

Well you should study straight for 6 months instead of 2.5 months. It is a hard test and I hope God will help us in the end.

Hi,

I would be interested too to join this naplex course in SF. I need to be pushed to a limit.....some more info would be very much appreciated...thanks

Hi Chris,

You are not stupid, this test is a curved one and perhaps you have looked too hard to answer a question that might have not been the one they were asking. Do not worry much and if you must take a refresher course take advantage of it. But I know that won't be necessary just take it easy and do not think about it too much. You will do good.

Onco

Members don't see this ad :)
I am attempting the NAPLEX ONE MORE TIME in January. And then I give up. 7 years, $150,000 down the drain. All the sacrifices, strife, and struggles I went through, for NOTHING.

I have so much compassion, kindness, empathy, as well as intelligence to share with mankind. This world would be losing a great pharmacist.
DoN'T GIVE UP! you can do it, it would be such a waste for you turn your back on a future career that is within grasp.

There is a very simple answer here..very simple.. You did not finish the exam..Forget about everything in your posts. This is what you need to know...The first 12 questions are specificily to slow you down. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN.. even if you quess. Guessing is better than not finishing the test..You must score well on the math..the board said you did, now read between the lines.No one will pass if they did not finish the exam especially 6 questions. this is why you received the 74. I have been told that the exam is now 90% patient profiles with new areas like statistics. You can do this believe me. You are not the first person to have these problems and not the last. I have posted that this is a professionally design exam..There is a method to the madness. Review your test taking skills.Did you scroll down before answering every question or did you loose time this way..I forgot and did loose time.
PM me if you want to discuss.Do not fall into the trap..You know the info
Review the 120 question calc if you have not..This info is very relevant

Hi Chris,

You are not stupid, this test is a curved one and perhaps you have looked too hard to answer a question that might have not been the one they were asking. Do not worry much and if you must take a refresher course take advantage of it. But I know that won't be necessary just take it easy and do not think about it too much. You will do good.

Onco

The Naplex is not "Curved"... It is adaptive yes, but it is not graded on a curve. Let's not spread false information.

Chris, if you have the base knowledge, it is test taking strategies. I would discourage you from studying multiple Kaplan resources. I found them to be the least helpful.

Hi any body who failed donot giveup .After failing 2 times i only concentrated on Apha and statistic from internet and math from Apha and stoklosa and finally passed . :)

i just wanted to help out someone who failed their naplex exam. i work from M to F so I am free on the weekends. :cool:

i agree that its most likely you not finishing the exam. pace yourself and don't waste too much time on a single question, especially if you aren't even halfway finished. if you answered those last six questions, even wrong, you would most likely have received a passing score

Do practice questions and give yourself a time limit. Don't sit and dwell on a question. If you can't figure it out in the first few minutes after reading it carefully, you probably don't know the answer and shouldn't waste too much time on it. Give it your best answer and move on. If you are confident of an answer, choose it and move on. Don't talk yourself out of it. With the NAPLEX 95% of the time the obvious answer is the correct answer. Don't spend too much time studying the patient profile. Skim it, and read the test question. Think about what info you need to answer it and go back and find that within the profile. Don't obsess over every detail.

I wouldn't give up on being a pharmacist if you don't pass. Take the remedial courses and try again. You spent too much time in school to give up.

It is good to see you contacted old profs from your school for help. They are good resources and want you suceed.

If I had the money to, I would definitely take you up on your offer. My therapist wants me to seek out a NAPLEX study group. I could use some pushing from someone who has passed it.

What kind of pharmacy do you practice? I want to help patients so badly. I'm thinking critical care, clinical, long-term care, or consulting. I want to get to know my patients after work and spend time with them. Especially the elderly. I want to make sure they are being taken care of. They deserve to be treated with respect and dignity for living so long, raising families, being productive members of society.

Which books did you use to study? haha. Im like goldie locks but here goes:

APha - is way too detailed, and while studying it, you feel like every bit of info is important (but it really isnt, its just info overkill).

Kaplan- is way too brief, and just goes over the minimal and even skips important info.

RxPrep - is PERFECTION!!

Im a poor pharmacist that was in debt so i couldnt afford, Prontopass which I heard rave review about and how they have these flashcards for calcuation (that like $200+) and DSM charts and carts. But I was fortunate to get my hands on RxPrep from a friend it was an older edition (3 years old).

RxPrep had all the "need to know" information, and whenever i felt like i wasnt competent in a subject, THEN, i would BRIEFLY review Apha.

I know this sounds crazy but you know MAY too much information and you are actually over prepared for the Naplex. I felt that way when i took the exam, where I knew detailed information which would never be tested and ended up getting mixed up on the basics.

Try not to study too much, you need to give your self a break and not try to stress yourself out too much. You made it through pharmacy school, so you can do this too!

try to study as little as possible; and what I mean is to not study the detailed information in such detail. I heard people tell me to know doses for the drugs, and honestly we all know that is impossible (theres like hundreds of drugs and different dosage forms, and different doses on top of that... its IMPOSSIBLE). But I was stubborn and would study the doses for the drugs that i thought were important, but i realized it wasnt worth studying because I had like 5 questions max on doses.

Hi everyone. Please do not give up...nothing is worth you giving up. I spent 11 years in college between my bachelor degree and pharmacy school and having a kid in undergrad...it has not been easy and not to mention that I owe 230K in student loans. Yes, I failed the naplex the first time..and I was desperate...and I was ashamed at work...but I borrowed money from my parents and friends and took a review course that I truly don't think I would have passed without them. Pm me. Do not give up it is worth it in the end.