NAPLEX Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistTwoBeeee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody.

I just failed the NAPLEX for the second time. My first attempt I went through the Rx Prep book but didn't go through it aggressively and the results showed it.

The 2nd time I went through every chapter twice and did all the calculations in 1 month and felt very confident. However, the exam hit me with a lot more math and I realized the math questions on the NAPLEX were a lot more difficult then the questions I practiced in Rx Prep. Including TPN and the alligation method (which I honestly thought I had down pat). I just downloaded the SDN 120 and will be doing all these questions thoroughly. Also, I was asked a lot of questions in regards to compounding terms (levigation, sifting, etc.) along with clinical trial testing and specific names of tests and when they are supposed to be used. Both of my exams focused on two completely different topics, but in the end I know it came down to the math. I only missed by 25 points (so I know the math got me) and I already passed my MPJE!! I am just dying to finish the final step and I have yet to do successfully twice now.

Please if anybody can give me any advice or helpful tips, please do. I am very down on myself right now and have a great job I do not want to lose. I'll be taking the exam again in March, so until then any suggestions on how to approach this next attempt will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The math should be straightforward if you've mastered the SDN calculations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody.

I just failed the NAPLEX for the second time. My first attempt I went through the Rx Prep book but didn't go through it aggressively and the results showed it.

The 2nd time I went through every chapter twice and did all the calculations in 1 month and felt very confident. However, the exam hit me with a lot more math and I realized the math questions on the NAPLEX were a lot more difficult then the questions I practiced in Rx Prep. Including TPN and the alligation method (which I honestly thought I had down pat). I just downloaded the SDN 120 and will be doing all these questions thoroughly. Also, I was asked a lot of questions in regards to compounding terms (levigation, sifting, etc.) along with clinical trial testing and specific names of tests and when they are supposed to be used. Both of my exams focused on two completely different topics, but in the end I know it came down to the math. I only missed by 25 points (so I know the math got me) and I already passed my MPJE!! I am just dying to finish the final step and I have yet to do successfully twice now.

Please if anybody can give me any advice or helpful tips, please do. I am very down on myself right now and have a great job I do not want to lose. I'll be taking the exam again in March, so until then any suggestions on how to approach this next attempt will be much appreciated.
"only 25 points" Correct me if I am wrong, but does that mean you scored a 45?

It doesn't matter if you missed by 25 points or 1 or 2 points like I did on both my exams. it still hurts and you feel awful about it all the time. everytime i go to work its a reminder of what i could be doing vs what i am doing. don't be too down on yourself and just try and look at the positives. keep moving forward and study study study. good luck! i'll be taking mine in march too :)

The issue is that if there is very significant increase in score from the previous attempt, the results can be flagged. They might double check if it was you taking the exam.

Hey everybody.

lets go for group study.hopefully we will all pass.

Hey everybody.

I think everybody wants to know, which school did you graduate from?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everybody.

I m in the same situation as you all guys.Can't tell you how it feels to feels when failed twice and got the same score both times when I attempted.I studied RXprep 3-4 times,did all questions from question bank 2-3 times.Even gave pre-naplex and scored 81 in that.But when gave 2nd attempt, got the same same score as previous,70.Feels horrible, so depressing .I dnt know where I am lacking now.I got my result today and still in shock.So. I thought let me see if anyone else who is in same situation as me.Let me know guys how you preparing now.Which book to study and how to study now bcoz now I totally give up.

I m in the same situation as you all guys.Can't tell you how it feels to feels when failed twice and got the same score both times when I attempted.I studied RXprep 3-4 times,did all questions from question bank 2-3 times.Even gave pre-naplex and scored 81 in that.But when gave 2nd attempt, got the same same score as previous,70.Feels horrible, so depressing .I dnt know where I am lacking now.I got my result today and still in shock.So. I thought let me see if anyone else who is in same situation as me.Let me know guys how you preparing now.Which book to study and how to study now bcoz now I totally give up.
When you took the test, did you think you knew the answers?

Members don't see this ad :)
None of you guys should fail a test as stupid as the NAPLEX

Focus your attention on math. Learn how to do ALL pharmacy calculations, basic pharmacokinetic calculations and biostat calculations.

Then focus on brand and generic, over the counter products, fluids and electrolytes, anti infectives and then if you have time refresh yourself on major disease states and their treatments like diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia.

That should be enough to pass.

Do as many math problems as possible.

Last edited:
Dont forget the stupid couple chapters in the front of Rxprep about studies etc

Not to be rude, but if you can't hack the NAPLEX math then you should probably stick to retail. Nothing against retail (challenging in its own way), but I wouldn't trust you to supervise technicians in a compounding environment. You can't catch mistakes if you can't even pass the minimal competency licensure exam.

Not to be rude, but if you can't hack the NAPLEX math then you should probably stick to retail. Nothing against retail (challenging in its own way), but I wouldn't trust you to supervise technicians in a compounding environment. You can't catch mistakes if you can't even pass the minimal competency licensure exam.

How do you even check the compounding in hospital these days....isn't it all prepped by the techs and you'rejust signing off on the empty bottles? Let's not kid ourselves here. Or all you talking about TPNs and chemo drugs?

How do you even check the compounding in hospital these days....isn't it all prepped by the techs and you'rejust signing off on the empty bottles? Let's not kid ourselves here. Or all you talking about TPNs and chemo drugs?
Depends on the institution I'm sure, but at my hospital yes most of it is blind faith. However there's still a lot of non-routine compounds that you have to do the math yourself and tell the technician how to make it. Some places even have pharmacists doing the compounding in ICU/NICU satellites. Definitely need to be solid in your compounding math when making stuff for neonates.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the institution I'm sure, but at my hospital yes most of it is blind faith. However there's still a lot of non-routine compounds that you have to do the math yourself and tell the technician how to make it. Some places even have pharmacists doing the compounding in ICU/NICU satellites. Definitely need to be solid in your compounding math when making stuff for neonates.

I'll give credit where it's due...the TPNs and stuff...some hospitals probably still have it done manually. Most hospitals that I've rotated at...the pharmacists signs off on a bunch of empty vials and that's it. The TPNs are often outsourced to another company...and there may be a few chemo calculations which no doubt are important....but these calculations are easy to learn on the job. The PGY stuff for specialties...then definitely...those require much more aptitude/experience.

I'll give credit where it's due...the TPNs and stuff...some hospitals probably still have it done manually. Most hospitals that I've rotated at...the pharmacists signs off on a bunch of empty vials and that's it. The TPNs are often outsourced to another company...and there may be a few chemo calculations which no doubt are important....but these calculations are easy to learn on the job. The PGY stuff for specialties...then definitely...those require much more aptitude/experience.

So, you would be comfortable hiring a hospital pharmacist that can't figure out how to make D15w 1/4ns from a bag of D10w? That isn't PGY stuff. It's pharmacist math that you should be able to do if you're a PharmD. I don't know if OP could do it or not, but that's the kind of math that's tested on the NAPLEX.

So, you would be comfortable hiring a hospital pharmacist that can't figure out how to make D15w 1/4ns from a bag of D10w? That isn't PGY stuff. It's pharmacist math that you should be able to do if you're a PharmD. I don't know if OP could do it or not, but that's the kind of math that's tested on the NAPLEX.

I don't know if OP can do it or not...I'm saying that type of math is very teachable and easy. Again, let's not kid ourselves here. PGY stuff is on a different level. The math that is required of a hospital dispensing pharmacist is not on that level.

Last edited:
I don't know if OP can do it or not...I'm saying that type of math is very teachable and easy. Again, let's not kid ourselves here. PGY stuff is on a different level. The math that is required of a hospital dispensing pharmacist is not on that level.
You're right it is easy, but we both passed the NAPLEX ;)

So its been awhile since I've been in school, are you allowed to take the naplex before rotations are over?

You have to wait until you graduate to take NAPLEX.

So there are people that haven't passed the NAPLEX still in March?

I'm sorry but if I was a patient I would never trust those pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
So there are people that haven't passed the NAPLEX still in March?

I'm sorry but if I was a patient I would never trust those pharmacists.

Well, they could have just graduated in December. And for whatever reason, new grads seem to want to take a few months to study before taking the NAPLEX (which I totally don't get, back when I graduated everyone took the licensing exam as soon as they could so they could start working as a pharmacist.)

Hmm. I guess you could take a liter of D10W, boil it down to about 750 mL, add 28.9 mEq Na+. Or maybe start with D50...Probably easiest to just ask the MD to fix his/her typo. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hmm. I guess you could take a liter of D10W, boil it down to about 750 mL, add 28.9 mEq Na+. Or maybe start with D50...Probably easiest to just ask the MD to fix his/her typo. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Lol. Not a typo, most of the time when I make stuff that complicated its for a NICU baby.

Hey everybody.

Please if anybody can give me any advice or helpful tips, please do. I am very down on myself right now and have a great job I do not want to lose. I'll be taking the exam again in March, so until then any suggestions on how to approach this next attempt will be much appreciated.[/QUOTE

Have you taken NAPLEX again?