NAPLEX in 2017 HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpalf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in my last year of pharmacy school on rotations. I am looking at getting the rxprep 2016 now to start studying but I did not know when the new version 2017 would be released. I hear they are changing NAPLEX adding a lot more questions to make it harder to pass for 2017.

so
When does the new version of rxprep get released each year?

and

Should I get the 2016 version now and start reviewing or wait for the 2017 to be released?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it's different every year..., but I bought the RXPrep 2016 when it was released sometime in January of 2016. So I'm guessing the 2017 version would be released next January?

I personally did not buy an earlier version, although many students in my class did to "pre-study" or whatever. IMHO, I didn't feel that starting to study for the NAPLEX over a year early would be beneficial for me. I bought RXPrep in January, but honestly did not start going through it until rotations were over in April. Then took my test mid-June.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I am in my last year of pharmacy school on rotations. I am looking at getting the rxprep 2016 now to start studying but I did not know when the new version 2017 would be released. I hear they are changing NAPLEX adding a lot more questions to make it harder to pass for 2017.

so

and

Should I get the 2016 version now and start reviewing or wait for the 2017 to be released?

RxPrep got released January of this year. So I suspect the same goes for the 2017 version. As for studying early, I don't know how you're studying habits are but chances are, you'll end up reading the book over again when it comes closer.

As what the other person said, I also bought mine in January and wished I waited because people start reselling them for a lot cheaper around April for the early test takers. I didn't even start seriously studying until May.

Yeah.. I think it does depend on study habits but if you are like me it is A LOT easier to re-read highlights than to read form nothing highlighted.
Because then it is just a review and you know what you are in for when you start to seriously crack down on the books. I started studying during rotations and I felt like the therapeutic chapters helped for rotations as well (two birds-one stone).
I saved the calculations and the first set of non therapeutic chapters to read for the first time before the NAPLEX. So for the rest of the chapters were already highlighted and ready to go for review.

TLDR; I read my rxprep during rotations, it helped to not feel overwhlemed before naplex because the 1300 pages wasn't new information.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a new study guide coming up sooner end of September 2016 than the others on the market. It's called 2017 NAPLEX Questions. http://www.rxpharmacist.com/product/2017-naplex-practice-questions/. Heard pretty good things and they spent much time on it to ensure it reflects 2017 material and the questions are supposed to be very similar to the actual NAPLEX questions

Hello all,

so

and

I'm not sure if more questions mean it'll be harder to pass... now that they're making it non-adaptive, they may evenly distribute the questions instead of randomly dwelling on one topic which means that we could be more confident on preparation.

I would assume diluting the questions, they're still keeping the passing score at 75 with 50 extra "real" questions (150 to 200), is a good thing?

Last edited:
Ya, I think it's a good thing with passing at 75 with the 50 "throw out" questions, but, at the same time, I think it gives them an advantage to add all types of questions that they might have not done for the adaptive exam. The best thing to do is to refer to the NAPLEX Blueprint that is listed in NABP website. This has been updated last November 2015 and will continue to be like this. The only downside this upcoming November is that they will increase the number of questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

so

and

You should wait for the next version with the updates and data that they can gather from November test takers. Its the last test you will ever take so you want the most up to date source of reference material. I had the RxPrep 2015 edition but tanked and got the 2016 because i realized the charts and organization of 2016 made it easier. They also found that students were hit with a lot of compounding questions so they added a whole section on that. With the new Naplex coming out students will report weird areas that need to be focused on and Rxprep will update accordingly. If you want to study now just borrow a book or try to find one at a cheap cost. I would advise you to wait though for the new version if possible or get both versions. For the Naplex its more important to cram and study 1-2 months before the exam efficiently so I wouldn't stress too hard about it now for you OP.

Last edited:
Hello all,

so

and

I would recommend getting a cheaper/older version of RxPrep and use it during rotations... if there are updated references/guidelines, you'll know anyway. You can update the information yourself. Most of the stuff in the book will be the same. Then when you're closer to graduation, you can buy the latest RxPrep to review some more...