NAPLEX in a week....advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpharmacist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the NAPLEX in a week!!! I would appreciate any advice on topics most tested, things to concentrate on , things to worry less about etc from recent NAPLEX takers , esp month of July. I only started real studying last week...so I dont have much time to cover everything...any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Cover major disease states, know meds in and out. Practice calculations as much as possible, calculations alone can give you a lot passing score. Also known common OTC meds /conditions. Know top 300 brand generics.

Just took it this past Friday. I got zero brand/generic questions, lots of patient chart reading, 25 to 30 calculation questions. The calculations were relatively simple. Much easier than the SDN 120 questions. I also remember two oncology questions based on BSA. Zero HIV questions.

Know the big disease states: DM, HTN, CHF, surprisingly gout.

Reactions: 1 user
Cover major disease states, know meds in and out. Practice calculations as much as possible, calculations alone can give you a lot passing score. Also known common OTC meds /conditions. Know top 300 brand generics.

Just took it this past Friday. I got zero brand/generic questions, lots of patient chart reading, 25 to 30 calculation questions. The calculations were relatively simple. Much easier than the SDN 120 questions. I also remember two oncology questions based on BSA. Zero HIV questions.

Know the big disease states: DM, HTN, CHF, surprisingly gout.

Thanks a ton :) Also, did they give formula's at all...and the normal lab values? I am wondering if we need to rem formula's for Ca corrected, BSA , CrCL , IBW, ABW etc...( I know that by now we should know them...and I guess I do but just want to check if anything is provided in the exam). Plus, I was thinking of skipping oncology...that chapter is sooooooooo long...I get depressed because it never ends..and I can rem anything..:( HTN JNC 8 and lipidATP 4 , I believe ?

Members don't see this ad :)
For oncology I am basicaly just knowing popular brand/generics and chemo man

if that is not enough, too bad

Nothing on the current guidelines (JNC 8 and ATP 4). Know the formulas but the normal lab values are given. Know that metformin is CI in SCr >1.5.

Nothing on the current guidelines (JNC 8 and ATP 4). Know the formulas but the normal lab values are given. Know that metformin is CI in SCr >1.5.

Thank you for this advice. Since we're on the topic of guidelines - if it's not asking about JNC8 and ATP4.. it's still asking questions based on the old guidelines then? Or do you mean they didn't ask anything specific on the new ones?

No guideline questions. They probably haven't had enough time to incorporate the new guidelines. There was one question regarding what to add for the next medication of a HTN pt but was a general add a ACEI or another diuretic?

I graduated in the previous millennium (before 2000), studied intensely for three months, am married with two young kids, and found out this morning I passed with a fairly high score. Anyone can pass this test.

In actual NAPLEX test , were there any diseases background type questions like classification. For example classification of CHF, Cardiac Arrhythmias, physiology of diseases, pathophysiology of diseases stable angina, unstable angina, Bipolar disorder 1 , Bipolar 2 etc

Should I only focus on medicines which medicine in which disease, MOA, major toxicity , major interaction , drug of choice, important consultation points about medicines. What is the best approach to save time and focus on. If you have to take NAPLEX again with little or no time for study which approach would you prefer. Approach 1 combined with approach 2 or just approach 2 is enough for NAPLEX passing with flying colors.

No guideline questions. They probably haven't had enough time to incorporate the new guidelines. There was one question regarding what to add for the next medication of a HTN pt but was a general add a ACEI or another diuretic?

I graduated in the previous millennium (before 2000), studied intensely for three months, am married with two young kids, and found out this morning I passed with a fairly high score. Anyone can pass this test.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this. I have studied the new guidelines but I am still on the fence about applying them. Congratulations to passing!