Naplex review for out-of-pharmacy for a long time dude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuclear RPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did 8 years of retail, 18 of nuclear, been out of pharmacy for 5 yrs....took Indiana Boards in 1980, pre-NABPLEX (note the 'B' haha)....and need to take NAPLEX soon.....looking for advice on best way to prepare for someone who has been out of the game for a while now.....I have the APhA Review, and am considering taking the RxPrep live course....I have downloaded the 120 Calculations floating around the site....any and all advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Nuclear RPh:

PNN: Pass Naplex Now is an excellent start for those like me who have been out of practice for a while.
It is a live course in CA. The instructors: an MD and a PharmD have the latest info in pharmacy field and are very committed with each of the students. After the 5 days live class you will receive weekly quizzes and you may do an oral quiz before the test to assess how ready you are.

RXPrep: they have the best book out there. It is organized very well, it is updated yearly and has lots of good information for counseling. If you read this book thoroughly 5 times, do the quizzes in the book, probably buy the quizzes online and score over 85%, you are ready to pass Naplex with flying colors.

ProntoPass: has the best review for Math. You might use also 120 questions package, Ansel and Mannan.

APHA: is the back up book. It is very difficult to read, but still have some chapters and details that you do not find anywhere else.

I wish you all the best. Send me a PM if you want to know more.

:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few options out there.

I know a pharmacist who recently moved to California and had to retake the NAPLEX since California doesn't accept NAPLEX score prior to 2004.

This is what he used to pass the NAPLEX again:

http://myworld.ebay.com/pharmcharts

We all use it at work now. Detailed but since it is in charts, it makes it a quick, easy review.

Originally I used APHA as my main study course. Yes its all you need, but keep in mind the format is outdated, and it covers alot more than what you really need to pass the naplex. I found I wasted alot of time in APHA trying to figure out what I needed to know and what I didn't. Also, Rxprep is more up to date, whereas APHA only includes new drugs in the back of the book. That was really fustrating when studying, and trying to remember classes of drugs as a whole. The weak spot for Rxprep is that there isn't alot of calculations in their book (unless you buy the quiz bank), and their statistics chapter is extremely spotty.

I ended up buying RxPrep and used APHA as a backup.

I highly recommend RxPrep.

I've also seen the ebay charts, and i recommend those charts. If I had to do it over again, i'd do Rxprep and those charts. I would supplement the calculations with the practice calculations that are available on these forums. Keep in mind, I'm a new graduate, so simple means good.

Since you have alot of pharmacy experience, you might only need APHA.

Reactions: 1 user
I did 8 years of retail, 18 of nuclear, been out of pharmacy for 5 yrs....took Indiana Boards in 1980, pre-NABPLEX (note the 'B' haha)....and need to take NAPLEX soon.....looking for advice on best way to prepare for someone who has been out of the game for a while now.....I have the APhA Review, and am considering taking the RxPrep live course....I have downloaded the 120 Calculations floating around the site....any and all advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
I highly recommend PassNaplexnow! It's a great live review.

Those who have been out of school for years and have kids, how did you prepare? Did you take a review course? Did you take some time off from work, just to study?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have RxPrep and quiz bank, 120 calculations also. Going to check out the ebay charts also. How long does it take to get results from test?

I used pronto pass and APHA for calculations and passed without any problems... and I have pronto pass if you want it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have RxPrep and quiz bank, 120 calculations also. Going to check out the ebay charts also. How long does it take to get results from test?

Depending on the state but you should get your results in a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used pronto pass and APHA for calculations and passed without any problems... and I have pronto pass if you want it.

do you still have the APhA book? If yes, would you like to sell it to me? I mainly want to use it as a supplement to my other study materials.

My test results came back today(3days post exam): 95.
I have been out of practice for 12years so I really had to study everything over again. The one thing that worked in my favor is that I had a TON of clinical experience under my belt (OR Rx, neonatology, transplant Rx, sterile products, AG monitoring). I also sat for boards in OH and CA (non Nabplex) before they were done on computers;)

I used NAPBLEX prep book. Read over and over
Stoklosa/Ansel Pharm calc textbook (copyright 1986!!!!) reviewed and did all problems
Notari biopharm/clinical Pharmacokinetics.
ASHP's PharmPrep(loved there calculation review, but that's it). I did no practice tests but I know I probably would have done better if I did.

Oh Yeah, I felt like I blew it when I walked out of testing center. Was not feeling very confident about the whole thing. Whew! Glad it's over. Good Luck to all and congrats to all who passed. Thanks for everyone's input.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi: How are you guys? I really need your helps since I have failed the naplex/cpje twice already after studying apha and rxprep. I am not sure if PASSNAPLEX.COM prep-course is reliable and be able to help me to pass exam? If anyone actually took a prepcourse form passnaplexnow.com, please share your experience. the course is costly $1250, so I want to get more feedback. Also if you are recently took the naplex or cpje, and passed, can you share your studying experiences. I am not confident if my study methods anymore. Thank you and greatly appreciated.

It has been years since I worked in pharmacy! My husband has been unemployed x1 year so I am entering the workforce again. I am studying for the NY MPJE and very nervous about the compounding portion.

For those who have not worked in a while, how did you study? How many hours did you study per day and for how long? How was your transition to working again? I have forgotten a lot of things and not sure where I should start.

I have been out of practice for 12years so I really had to study everything over again. The one thing that worked in my favor is that I had a TON of clinical experience under my belt (OR Rx, neonatology, transplant Rx, sterile products, AG monitoring). I also sat for boards in OH and CA (non Nabplex) before they were done on computers;)

Stoklosa/Ansel Pharm calc textbook (copyright 1986!!!!) reviewed and did all problems
ASHP's PharmPrep(loved there calculation review, but that's it). I did no practice tests but I know I probably would have done better if I did.

Oh Yeah, I felt like I blew it when I walked out of testing center. Was not feeling very confident about the whole thing. Whew! Glad it's over. Good Luck to all and congrats to all who passed. Thanks for everyone's input.

How was the NAPLEX compared to the CPJE? Did you study differently for each exam? How far away did you separate the two exams? Thank you so much for your opinion!

Is the NAPBLEX similar to the NAPLEX in terms of difficulty?

If you have one week free time to participate in passnaplexnow course you will meet lots of pharmacists and students in the same situation as yours. I tried their course and passed new Naplex with high score.
Be also ready for the math part of Naplex 90% of calculations are not multiple choices; you should fill the blank. I can help you with calculation part or you could go to the naplexmath on facebook to get some advice.

It has been years since I worked in pharmacy! My husband has been unemployed x1 year so I am entering the workforce again. I am studying for the NY MPJE and very nervous about the compounding portion.

For those who have not worked in a while, how did you study? How many hours did you study per day and for how long? How was your transition to working again? I have forgotten a lot of things and not sure where I should start.

I know that the university of buffalo offers a few day review course for the compounding section. I highly recommend it. Other schools may do the same if you are not near Buffalo.

I know that the university of buffalo offers a few day review course for the compounding section. I highly recommend it. Other schools may do the same if you are not near Buffalo.

Do you happen to have a link for this course? Do you recommend Dr. Cutie's course for NY MPJE?

Do you happen to have a link for this course? Do you recommend Dr. Cutie's course for NY MPJE?

I have not taken Dr. Cutie's course but I know a few pharmacists who did and they are all happy with it.

Is there anyone taking/ have taken the ProntoPass Boot Camp in OH? How do you like the tutoring as compared to other on site NAPLEX prep?

Is there anyone taking/ have taken the ProntoPass Boot Camp in OH? How do you like the tutoring as compared to other on site NAPLEX prep?

I think living there for a month is overdoing it. Study with a group and test each other. The passage rate for the naples is actually pretty good so if you study hard, I am sure you will do well.

Just want to update everyone. I am now licensed to practice in ny. Dr cutie notes were very useful. :thumbup:

I have been "out of the game" for almost 10 years. My husband and I are moving to Texas. I need to review. To those who have been out of pharmacy, what do you recommend?

I have the passed but have not practiced in years, I want to review. Is a live course worth the money? or is a review book good enough? Please advise!

We are planning to move to California this summer. Apparently, I have to take the "newer" version of the NAPLEX since the one I took years ago did not meet California standards.

Anybody in a similar situation? If you want to study together, PM me!

I starting a study group for people who have been out of pharmacy school for a while. PM me if interested

FYI: i received a few more PMs. If you are interested in joining our study group, PM me!

I have been out of pharmacy x10 years. Did you volunteer at a pharmacy before start working again? I dont remember much!

I am using Pharmacyexam.com material. It is very precise. I have not used Rxprep and other ApHA material. I had good experience with FPGEE with Pharmacyexam so I am sticking with them. Whatever material you choose, please stick to one source since if you have way too much material, you will get confuse.

I hope this help.

I have used pharmacyexam.com NAplex Q & A book, Theory volume I and II and calculation book. It should be more than enough.

what's a good way to get a volunteer position? i have not worked in a pharmacy for many years and need to get my feet "wet" again. I have called several hospitals and they don't take volunteers

if you had not worked in a while, what's a good idea to explain to a potential employer that you are still capable to work as a pharmacist? did you volunteer?

if you had not worked in a while, what's a good idea to explain to a potential employer that you are still capable to work as a pharmacist? did you volunteer?

just be honest and if volunteering is needed, then you should to that. The job market is a lot different now i am sure you already know

I have tried volunteering but no luck yet. Anybody else who has been out of pharmacy for a while and trying to get back in? what did you do?

Hello-

do you know where I can get good sample questions other than rxprep that are similar to naplex format?
and do you know any good source to study more on the biostatics section in naplex, the relative risk, absolute relative risk kind of questions and interpretation

Thanks

In my case NAPLEX Help tutoring services was the only source who helped me to pass NAPLEX.