NAPLEX September 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chugalug31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took my NAPLEX for the second time on thursday...and feel like I failed! I am wicked nervous to get my scores. I failed the first time about 3 months ago, I walked out thinking it was so easy and that I definitely passed it only to find out i got a 73! Then I've heard that if you walk out of the test thinking its easy, you probably didn't do so good since its computer adaptive.

Flash forward to last thursday. I walked out thinking its really hard, but not the good kind of hard, like it wasn't oncology or HIV or hard topics like that. it was just a lot of weird random questions on dosage form or diagnostic questions. And i also didnt have as much calculations as last time. The calcs I had were mostly mEq's and TPN's.

Did anybody take the test recently? any suggestions...comments? I am FREAKING out, my employer's really counting on me passing this test!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just took my NAPLEX for the second time on thursday...and feel like I failed! I am wicked nervous to get my scores. I failed the first time about 3 months ago, I walked out thinking it was so easy and that I definitely passed it only to find out i got a 73! Then I've heard that if you walk out of the test thinking its easy, you probably didn't do so good since its computer adaptive.

Flash forward to last thursday. I walked out thinking its really hard, but not the good kind of hard, like it wasn't oncology or HIV or hard topics like that. it was just a lot of weird random questions on dosage form or diagnostic questions. And i also didnt have as much calculations as last time. The calcs I had were mostly mEq's and TPN's.

Did anybody take the test recently? any suggestions...comments? I am FREAKING out, my employer's really counting on me passing this test!!

it might be your preparation. i am selling all my materials and i scored very very high. if it doesnt work out, you can buy my stuff pretty cheap. i am certain you will pass it then

wow that was really unhelpful. i really don't need you to pawn your used crap and brag about your score to me right now...

wow that was really unhelpful. i really don't need you to pawn your used crap and brag about your score to me right now...

wow, whatever. offered you some quality stuff that helped me pass easily. maybe the problem isnt studying but that you just have a terrible attitude to begin with.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok look im sorry, obviously this forum means a lot to you since you're still on it after becoming a pharmacist checking the msgs every hour on the hour on a saturday night. sorry i've offended you with my terrible attitude.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not pass the NAPLEX. In my experience, it was quite crazy... here is my advice.

There is a package on this forum for calculation, it helped to practice that and understand how it worked. Maybe that will help you.

For other materials, I used the RxPrep book and the APhA book but I spent major of my time with RxPrep book. APhA book has a lot of information, way more information than needed for the NAPLEX, at least from my point of view. Other folks who take it may or maynot agree with me on that. It's just constant repetition on the materials.

Since you've taken the exam once before, see if you can remember any points or any questions from the exam to help with the direction you are studying. Maybe doing more MC questions from other sources like Lange may help.

I am not sure how you prepped the first time around, these are my advice only. Hope it works for you. Good luck! You can do it.

~~ Zhuzhu

Hey chugalug 31

A lot of people walk out of the exam feeling they failed even if they are taking it the 2nd time. Lets see what happens. I know the wait is a killer but lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope you pass. Meanwhile take a break and do something else.

Hey Chugalug,

This time around I walked out of there with a terrible headache and not knowing exactly where I was standing result-wise, I felt the questions were getting harder and harder and...well differently from the previous occassion where I left thinking that it hadn't been that hard. So let's hope for the best and good luck.

Hey Chugalug,

This time around I walked out of there with a terrible headache and not knowing exactly where I was standing result-wise, I felt the questions were getting harder and harder and...well differently from the previous occassion where I left thinking that it hadn't been that hard. So let's hope for the best and good luck.

that sounds about right, as long as you felt good about the math section.

I just wrote the exam on sept 25th. I had a lot of math questions on, which i feel confident about. There were also a disproportionate number of stats q's and then oddball q's, ... like the color of certain tablets ... and what strengths certain meds come in - i had a lot of those. I'm in Fl so won't find out if I passed for another 2-4 weeks. I can't worry about it now. I need to study for my MPJE. Best of luck to you. Let us know how you did. I'll update this post when I get my results.

Hello killerpenguin,

I feel like I might have missed two or three calculation questions, and especially if they get thrown at you at the very end of such a grueling test where your brain is asking running a bit on the overheating mode. Once it cooled off a bit at home I realised that they were sooo easy but I just coulkd not see it. Over-thinking can be an issue too. I hope I did alright. Thanks

Everyone,
This is a professionally prepared exam. This is no ordinary exam. The first 10-12 questions are very difficult. This is intentionally to slow you down.
You also may have 3 tough questions at the end, could be 3 straight math questions.Budget your time and keep moving!!!!!!!
Study hard and you will pass..TAKE this exam seriously.

Hello everyone

I just took the NAPLEX yesterday (September 28th 2010). The exam was extremely random. I only had 8 or 9 math questions which is a little sad. I wish I had more math questions. I have no idea whether I passed or not but the waiting game is on. I had only 5 minutes left after I was done with the exam. Will keep everyone posted as to how it went.

It is officially Day 7, and i've called the board 3 times...still waiting on the result. The board gave me different answers each time on how long to wait, hopefully i'll get the results next week!

Naplexfail,

hopefully it went ok for you...i didnt get as many math questions as last time either...it is dissapointing, dont know if it's a good thing or not, hopefully good! i felt the same exact way when i left the test, the questions were so random. i almost felt like crying in the middle of it, cuz i just had absolutely no idea. hopefully we both did good!

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed! :) My score for the naplex was 110. I scored 99 on the prenaplex, which I took about 3 weeks earlier.

For what it's worth, I studied mostly from Kaplan. I did the questions from APHA and only read the chapters that I felt I needed to review. I probably did a third of the questions from A&L. For math, I did the 120 Question pdf that is being shared on this site. I did not have time to review pharmaceutics and probably did not study stats enough. I have a 6 month old baby at home, so my studying time was extremely limited. I tried to be focused, knowing math was impt and clinical stuff was going to probably be weighed more than pharmaceutics/compounding. Thankfully,it worked out.

Now, time for law.

Good luck to those of you who have to still write the exam. :luck:

Hey chugalug 31

We are done with this random exam and all we can do is wait. Which state are you from? Its frustrating that the Board is giving you different answers all the time. I truly hope your score comes quickly and you pass.

I took the NAPLEX two days ago and have not received my score yet. I am from NJ.

Naplexfail

Naplexfail,

Good luck! I am not sure how long it takes for the NJ BOP to report results but here in TX it takes up tp 3 weeks!! So the waiting game is on almost 2 weeks and counting. Soon we will be congratulating each other!!

Hey chugalug 31

We are done with this random exam and all we can do is wait. Which state are you from? Its frustrating that the Board is giving you different answers all the time. I truly hope your score comes quickly and you pass.

I took the NAPLEX two days ago and have not received my score yet. I am from NJ.

Naplexfail

I am from NY...the last time it took me about 10 days.

Hi I just recently took the Naplex for the 3rd time and have not passed. I took it in VA on Sept 23 and heard exactly a week after. Is there anyone that can help. Where is this pdf on math you guys are talking about? I feel helpless all my friends have moved on and I feel like I'm going backwards. Has anyone considered prontopass boot camp? Any tips would be appreciated.

Needtopass,

Sorry to hear that, What study material were you using? Maybe you experience test-taking anxiety and or study all the way up until the last day? The calculations practice attachment posted here consist of 120 questions that are really helpful. I will try to retrieve and send it to you as a PM. Pronto pass is a great aid and I personally liked Kaplan Naplex review, however not everyone would agreewith me here. I am sure that you will be able to pass it sooner than later.

Oncopharm2009

Hey everyone

I have not received my score from NJ BOP but checked my score on the NABP website. I passed:).. I am thrilled.

Not all states participate in this. If your state BOP participates in this facility provided by NABP then you can also check your score at
http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/naplex-and-mpje-score-results/

Thanks to all the members. Good luck to Oncopharm2009 and chugalug31. I know these two are awaiting results.

Hey everyone

I have not received my score from NJ BOP but checked my score on the NABP website. I passed:).. I am thrilled.

Not all states participate in this. If your state BOP participates in this facility provided by NABP then you can also check your score at

Thanks to all the members. Good luck to Oncopharm2009 and chugalug31. I know these two are awaiting results.

omg naplexfail, im sooooo happy for you!!!!! hopefully i will receive the same good news sometime soon!!!!

Hey everyone

Well done... I've followed your story for the past few months. Excellent display of perseverance.

Thanks aboveliquidice. This forum has helped me a lot. I have read your posts. Thanks for all the advise.

Hi guys,
Unfortunately I have bad news for you and myself (of course) I fell short again and I must retake this God-blessed exam. I just hope that Chugalug31 gives us good news. Bummer is time to go back to the drawing board... I will keep you posted.

Thank you for all your prayers and good wishes, now I need them more than ever.

Thank you Oncopharm!

I was using the APhA book as well as some random pronto pass cards but now doing the check list like it says. I re-wrote some of the hard chapters over in a summary to keep in my head and highlighted major points. I have a problem with the timing as well. I need to find timed exams so I can pace myself. I worked full time while studying in order to keep my health insurance active. I am thinking of either quiting or working 1 day a week to stay in the system. It's just embarrassing when the techs ask did you pass and you have to keep saying no!

Im trying to stay positive but it's harrrd after taking it the 3rd time when is this grey cloud going to go away!!

oncopharm,

sorry to hear about the news. I know it must be devastating, but try to stay positive! i don't know if you tried the pdf file that's circling around here on the math questions. not sure if i passed yet, but i'll def tell you how i studied if you think it will help!

I took it for the first time Sept 30 in TX and it was super hard. Also the format was not what I expected based on the Pre-NAPLEX I took from NABP (which was all multiple choice). The actual test had fill in the blank and weird questions where you had to place an X on a picture in the right area (what is the margin of error on that?????! how many pixels can I be "off" and still get it correct?) I feel like the Pre-NAPLEX was a little misleading in that manner. Anyway, it totally kicked my butt and I will have to form a new study plan for round 2. Good luck to all of us! We can do it !!!! :)

Hi blueeclipse05,

Where in TX? It looks like now Naplex throws ugly curve balls at anyone. I am not sure but if you would like to share some tips and are near SA we could try to help each other to pass this one.

PM me if you think it could work. And be positive it is just a chance to do better.

CONGRATULATIONS Naplex(fail) PASS! :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been following your story as well, and also got a 74 the first time.

You have given me hope, Thank You!

Can you tell us how you studied differently this time, also...did you see any questions repeated from the first time, or was it all different? Did you have many fill in the blanks?

Any Advice is greatly appreciated!

hai naplexfail.
congrats.ur hard work has paid off.
am also taking the naplex the 2nd time within 2 weeks.could u tell me whether u had qstn repeated from the 1st time.thanks a lot .

Hi guys!!!! I finally couldn't wait anymore...I called the board yet again, and asked if they received my results and they told me yes, and after much begging they told me I had passed!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooo grateful and excited, thank you all so much for your words of support. I will be sharing my entire experience, advise, as well as selling my study material on another thread, just search posts posted by chugalug31!!

Sorry to hear about your news Oncopharm :(

It's ok. You can do it.

Hi guys,
Unfortunately I have bad news for you and myself (of course) I fell short again and I must retake this God-blessed exam. I just hope that Chugalug31 gives us good news. Bummer is time to go back to the drawing board... I will keep you posted.

Thank you for all your prayers and good wishes, now I need them more than ever.

To anyone with this kind of reply:
Please slow down a little bit and think twice about the help from others. Hint, Hint, Hint, sometimes, the seller is hinting about helping you out by giving you SECRET gifts....You are smart enough to know what that means. Please refrain from snappy comments, thank you very much.

Let's forgive and forget....We are all brothers and sisters of pharmacy....