Naplex studying 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdpcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Question for those who used rxprep as their main studying tool. I am currently in the process of studying for the Naplex that I plan to take in June (2016). I was wondering if reading through each chapter once and taking notes of the explanations from each test bank would be enough to pass. I feel rxprep does a good job on asking questions that your "MUST KNOW" from each chapter. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, Question for those who used rxprep as their main studying tool. I am currently in the process of studying for the Naplex that I plan to take in June (2016). I was wondering if reading through each chapter once and taking notes of the explanations from each test bank would be enough to pass. I feel rxprep does a good job on asking questions that your "MUST KNOW" from each chapter. Thanks in advance.
If you felt prepared at all your rotations, you should pass.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're school did a good job of teaching you then I wouldn't worry about the NAPLEX. Honestly, I bought all the books, all the study guides, but when I came to studying, I binged watched Breaking Bad. It is a minimum competency test. Get the math questions right, prove that you won't kill anyone because you don't know math. After that, it's all gravy. I walked out of the test thinking I failed. I got a 115. That's just me though. So I am biased. I really think the math is what weighs the most. Do what you have to do.

If you're school did a good job of teaching you then I wouldn't worry about the NAPLEX. Honestly, I bought all the books, all the study guides, but when I came to studying, I binged watched Breaking Bad. It is a minimum competency test. Get the math questions right, prove that you won't kill anyone because you don't know math. After that, it's all gravy. I walked out of the test thinking I failed. I got a 115. That's just me though. So I am biased. I really think the math is what weighs the most. Do what you have to do.

Thanks for replying man

Take the math advice with a grain of salt. Everyone's test is different. I didn't study at all and almost screwed myself over because I heard the test was mainly math, but I only had 15-20 math questions. My test was heavily based on hepatitis, ID, HIV, chemotherapy, and renal disease questions. I probably would've failed if it weren't for the more difficult rotations and my school's tough curriculum sitting in the back of my mind.

Take the math advice with a grain of salt. Everyone's test is different. I didn't study at all and almost screwed myself over because I heard the test was mainly math, but I only had 15-20 math questions. My test was heavily based on hepatitis, ID, HIV, chemotherapy, and renal disease questions. I probably would've failed if it weren't for the more difficult rotations and my school's tough curriculum sitting in the back of my mind.

Thanks

The test makers put a breakdown of the NAPLEX online. The percentage of how many questions you will get per topic is public knowledge. So the idea that some tests have more or less math is bunk. It just seems like a lot or a little to the test takers, in reality it is the same for everyone. Look it up.

I studied for a total of like maybe 6 hours and I easily passed. I was also definitely not one of the top students in my class, more like middle of the road. I think I studied more for the MPJE than the NAPLEX, I easily passed both, I really dont know how people fail those exams, must be extreme test anxiety or something.

I studied for a total of like maybe 6 hours and I easily passed. I was also definitely not one of the top students in my class, more like middle of the road. I think I studied more for the MPJE than the NAPLEX, I easily passed both, I really dont know how people fail those exams, must be extreme test anxiety or something.
People definitely fail. Sometimes I look at Alabama's results to see what a larger sample of results is like. I think I've seen scores in the 40's.

RxPrep surely is a good study tool. However, try and find a source for hospital pharmacy topics esp TPN. I took Naplex in March and I passed. I saw that I was tested on everything and had a lot more pharmaceutics and hospital pharmacy stuff which I was aware of but did not study from RxPrep. Cardiac, Cancer and ABX are a must and a lot more emphasis was on those. Calculations wise dont focus more on the very complex steady state conc types of problems. However have your mEq and mOsm and mmol basics very clear and practice a lot for that. The SDN 120 will help u a lot with the math part that is asked in Naplex.
I was also asked a lot of pharmacoeconomics questions with more focus on calculation of ARR and NNT as well as many comparisons and analysis using the data and the CI.
I passed my exam with a 130 and I must say that I had just studied for 2 months with 6 hours a day..
Good luck!!

Hi! I just passed Naplex a few months ago and barely got my passing results for CPJE. I was so relieved, I cried. I would like to share my journey, which was quite a long and depressing one, but I passed both exams and didn't have to resort to taking the new version of the exams or CE courses! I would say the RX prep book is what most people have, but many people felt that after reading chapter 60, you forget everything from chapter 15. It's so hard to read and retain everything, which is why questions or charts or supplemental things are good for testing yourself. If you did great in school, then you shouldn't be too worried. I was a mediocre student, low 3.0 range. I feel the Naplex is so random and unfair, but has a lot of long patient charts that you have to filter through and be able to pull out relevant information to help you answer your question. They make it long with too much information to throw you off and make you have testing fatigue. Naplex has a higher margin for error, and it was very general and random, but you MUST KNOW MATH and equations!

I studied from the old competency statements and new as well for Naplex and CPJE. I bought the latest version of the book, but did not have a chance to go through it, but did work closely with the RX Prep team with the online course. With not enough time, I just did the online course with questions and videos and reviewed my old notes from my older version of the book (from the first round of testing). Since I did fail before, so had to go all out this time! It was really embarassing because EVERYONE passes right. There is a higher chance of failing CPJE since it is so clinical, and the reason most people fail Naplex would be due to not passing math (which is basic math, but you must do it fast and not make errors. Fail the math portion, fail the exam, they say. ) So, I used SDN 120 questions and proton pass flashcards for math. (THESE ARE AMAZING for those who need to review the basic math or if you just want to make sure you pass math on CPJE too. I hear the new version of CPJE has more calculations.) The new RX Prep 2016 book is a must and the bare minimum.

Other things I used for Naplex/CPJE: *for naplex: RX Prep course and book, Proton Pass math flashcards, Kaplan book that has 2 online practice tests, SDN120, took the pre-naplex too
*for RX Prep CPJE online course with videos and test banks, Ebay Pharmacy Charts, Kaplan supplemental book, Blue Weismann law book, practice questions... etc..

*****I have a BRAND NEW un-touched RX Prep 2016 book in original packaging for sale if interested. It retails for 163.48 about,, but I am selling for $150 if interested. I also am selling the Proton Pass Like-new flashcards including original packaging and all in order. (no new edition is out yet, but current retail price is 156 about including shipping, I am selling for 105 + any shipping fees. I also am selling the Kaplan book like -new. You still can access 2 practice exams online with it. If any of you want to buy all 3 in bulk, there can be a discount! Please let me know if you are interested or have any additional questions about anything. ******

Hi! I just passed Naplex a few months ago and barely got my passing results for CPJE. I was so relieved, I cried. I would like to share my journey, which was quite a long and depressing one, but I passed both exams and didn't have to resort to taking the new version of the exams or CE courses! I would say the RX prep book is what most people have, but many people felt that after reading chapter 60, you forget everything from chapter 15. It's so hard to read and retain everything, which is why questions or charts or supplemental things are good for testing yourself. If you did great in school, then you shouldn't be too worried. I was a mediocre student, low 3.0 range. I feel the Naplex is so random and unfair, but has a lot of long patient charts that you have to filter through and be able to pull out relevant information to help you answer your question. They make it long with too much information to throw you off and make you have testing fatigue. Naplex has a higher margin for error, and it was very general and random, but you MUST KNOW MATH and equations!

I studied from the old competency statements and new as well for Naplex and CPJE. I bought the latest version of the book, but did not have a chance to go through it, but did work closely with the RX Prep team with the online course. With not enough time, I just did the online course with questions and videos and reviewed my old notes from my older version of the book (from the first round of testing). Since I did fail before, so had to go all out this time! It was really embarassing because EVERYONE passes right. There is a higher chance of failing CPJE since it is so clinical, and the reason most people fail Naplex would be due to not passing math (which is basic math, but you must do it fast and not make errors. Fail the math portion, fail the exam, they say. ) So, I used SDN 120 questions and proton pass flashcards for math. (THESE ARE AMAZING for those who need to review the basic math or if you just want to make sure you pass math on CPJE too. I hear the new version of CPJE has more calculations.) The new RX Prep 2016 book is a must and the bare minimum.

Other things I used for Naplex/CPJE: *for naplex: RX Prep course and book, Proton Pass math flashcards, Kaplan book that has 2 online practice tests, SDN120, took the pre-naplex too
*for RX Prep CPJE online course with videos and test banks, Ebay Pharmacy Charts, Kaplan supplemental book, Blue Weismann law book, practice questions... etc..

*****I have a BRAND NEW un-touched RX Prep 2016 book in original packaging for sale if interested. It retails for 163.48 about,, but I am selling for $150 if interested. I also am selling the Proton Pass Like-new flashcards including original packaging and all in order. (no new edition is out yet, but current retail price is 156 about including shipping, I am selling for 105 + any shipping fees. I also am selling the Kaplan book like -new. You still can access 2 practice exams online with it. If any of you want to buy all 3 in bulk, there can be a discount! Please let me know if you are interested or have any additional questions about anything. ******

hi sexyDDS
which material or tool did you use for the hospital math..... becos i had a lot of that too this past march and dats probably why i didnt do well. am taking it again in june, and i will greately appreciate your help, thank you. please i will aslo appreciate any other type of study tips that can b of help to me.

Those score results for Alabama said "NAPLEX or MPJE" but it's probably just NAPLEX since the old results have a similar distribution (but more variability)

About 4 in 5 test takers have a score 100 or below. Holy crap, how do people get a 48 (and even a 25 from the older data set)

Attachments

• al_naplex_2010.png
    al_naplex_2010.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 91
  • al_naplex_other.png
    al_naplex_other.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 87
Which medications' dosages/regimen would you recommend memorizing?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where can I find the SDN 120 review that everyone speaks of?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just remember they are increasing the number of questions at the end of the year.

Hey guys,

do you think having retail work experience will increase one's chance of passing the NAPLEX and MPJE?

Thanks

If you're good at identifying important counseling points for commonly prescribed drugs without having to look them up, then yes retail experience might help. Being register bitch, knowing how to bill immunizations, or knowing where the bug repellent is doesn't help.

The test is also adaptive. If you only had 15 - 20 math questions then that's all you needed to show proficiency. My first question was a middle of the road calculation. I know I got it right and my next one was a set of at least 5 HIV, next oncology and specialized topics. My test never really took me to diabetes or hyperlipidemia. Based on your answers the system makes some assumptions on your knowledge of other topics and then it takes you to show proficiency in areas that you haven't. In essence, every NAPLEX is the same even though they are not the same.