National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) - Fundamental Knowledge Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

anyone knows if Canadian fundamental knowledge test contains general anatomical science questions or only maxillofacial area questions?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
go through the dental decks first and then the released questions from the website also mosby books for NBDE, this much should help you get a decent score.

go through the dental decks first and then the released questions from the website also mosby books for NBDE, this much should help you get a decent score.
Hi,
When you mention dental decks, do you mean dental deck 2 (not dental deck 1) or do you mean both decks 1 & 2 ?

Members don't see this ad :)
first dental decks 2 then dental decks 1 (if you have time) else mosby should be fine.
Is the Written part & OSCE part of the NDEB exam the one shown here: http://www.ndeb.ca/accredited/written-examination ? Like, is it the same NDEB exam for people who had graduated from 4-year Canadian dental schools & for people who had graduated from international dental schools ? Sorry, I'm just concerned about studying for the wrong exam.
You must've done really well on the NDEB then ?

Is the Written part & OSCE part of the NDEB exam the one shown here: http://www.ndeb.ca/accredited/written-examination ? Like, is it the same NDEB exam for people who had graduated from 4-year Canadian dental schools & for people who had graduated from international dental schools ? Sorry, I'm just concerned about studying for the wrong exam.
You must've done really well on the NDEB then ?

No, if you're an international dentist then you should look at http://www.ndeb.ca/nonaccredited
This flow diagram will show you the steps needed to get a license in Canada,
once you clear the equivalency process or graduate from IDP then yes, you will give the written and OSCE with the Canadian graduates.

I did quite ok in the NDEB, and SDN helped a lot in the preparation that's why I try to give back and help others who are new in the process.

No, if you're an international dentist then you should look at http://www.ndeb.ca/nonaccredited
once you clear the equivalency process or graduate from IDP then yes, you will give the written and OSCE with the Canadian graduates.

I did quite ok in the NDEB, and SDN helped a lot in the preparation that's why I try to give back and help others who are new in the process.

I'm a graduate of a Canadian dental school, as in I did all 4 years of dental school in Canada & I don't have an international dental degree. So would the study materials you suggested ("go through the dental decks first and then the released questions from the website also mosby books for NBDE, this much should help you get a decent score.") work for me ? thanks

I'm a graduate of a Canadian dental school, as in I did all 4 years of dental school in Canada & I don't have an international dental degree. So would the study materials you suggested ("go through the dental decks first and then the released questions from the website also mosby books for NBDE, this much should help you get a decent score.") work for me ? thanks

As far as written and OSCE exams are concerned, Ive been told that going through dental decks (Iam guessing part 2 primarily) and the released questions on the NDEB website should help, also read the books on clinical cases (quite a few are mentioned on the reference list on NDEB website). I was advised by seniors who cleared the exam with this reading, but the pass percentage has been increased to 75 now.

As far as written and OSCE exams are concerned, Ive been told that going through dental decks (Iam guessing part 2 primarily) and the released questions on the NDEB website should help, also read the books on clinical cases (quite a few are mentioned on the reference list on NDEB website). I was advised by seniors who cleared the exam with this reading, but the pass percentage has been increased to 75 now.

By "seniors", do you mean seniors of 4-year Canadian dental schools ?
And, I'll look into what you inboxed about :)

By "seniors", do you mean seniors of 4-year Canadian dental schools ?
And, I'll look into what you inboxed about :)

No, I am an international dentist, so by seniors I mean international dentists who cleared this exam last year and before that, but the pass percentage then was 65%
do you have any contact with your seniors, probably they could shed some light on what to study and how to prepare.

No, I am an international dentist, so by seniors I mean international dentists who cleared this exam last year and before that, but the pass percentage then was 65%
do you have any contact with your seniors, probably they could shed some light on what to study and how to prepare.
Hi I am wondering what exactly that dental deck is, does that include key knowledge along with question banks?
What are those flashcard? Totally confused as I am now based in UK. Have no clues about the Canadian system.
I have resources of dental tutors (personal links with some dental consultants who do teachings to the dental students in the UK). I am wondering what I can make best of this resource in assisting my exam preparation.
Please would you give me some advice from the other end across Atlantic?
Cheers

Hi, I'm planning to write the AFK 2016 too. Please let me know if you are still looking for a study partner.
Can you add me in your list for study group? I would love to attend the AFK in 2016, just started and have no clues. But I do have some resources as I am based in a dental school.
If we have puzzles then I could get access to some professors or lecturers of dentistry in the UK.
Here's my email: [email protected]

I am currently a dental student in the UK. I would like to write the NDEB in 2014 or 2015, so I'm starting to look into the material that is tested from now... hopefully I can learn the material now (while I'm still in school) and won't have to do too much prep for the NDEB after I finish dental school.

If anyone else is in the UK and planning on going to Canada - PM me :)
Hi, how is going with your exam? Please would you drop me an email as I also planned to sit the exam of AFK but in 2016.
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am wondering what exactly that dental deck is, does that include key knowledge along with question banks?
What are those flashcard? Totally confused as I am now based in UK. Have no clues about the Canadian system.
I have resources of dental tutors (personal links with some dental consultants who do teachings to the dental students in the UK). I am wondering what I can make best of this resource in assisting my exam preparation.
Please would you give me some advice from the other end across Atlantic?
Cheers

http://www.dentaldecks.com/Pages/Default.aspx

this is the website from where you can buy dental decks, or simply buy them second hand from someone who has already given the exam.
a flash card is a card which has a MCQ on one side and the answer with explanation and additional information on the reverse of the card. so you use these to prepare for the exam.
the information on the back of the exam is highly useful to clear NBDE (USA) or NDEB(Canada).
As for dental tutors they can probably help you when you get stuck on some tricky questions in the released question bank on NDEB website, apart from that you really have to study and go through all the reading material yourself.

also, dental decks come in part 1 (basic sciences) and part 2 (clinical sciences).

Reactions: 1 users
http://www.dentaldecks.com/Pages/Default.aspx

this is the website from where you can buy dental decks, or simply buy them second hand from someone who has already given the exam.
a flash card is a card which has a MCQ on one side and the answer with explanation and additional information on the reverse of the card. so you use these to prepare for the exam.
the information on the back of the exam is highly useful to clear NBDE (USA) or NDEB(Canada).
As for dental tutors they can probably help you when you get stuck on some tricky questions in the released question bank on NDEB website, apart from that you really have to study and go through all the reading material yourself.

also, dental decks come in part 1 (basic sciences) and part 2 (clinical sciences).

Hi, thank you very much for your prompt reply.
Will you suggest going through Dental Deck Part 2 and NDBE released questions first? If have time, then review Dental Deck Part 1.
Also, I am wondering how study group can assist preparing for the exam. Is that just for getting the right answers to NDBE questions faster than working that out on your own?
Again, thanks so much!

no problem :)

yes that can be done, or just go through the break down of the question paper given on NDEB website, it mentions how many questions will be asked from which broad topic, it might be in the protocol of the exam, that will give you a fair idea of which topics from dental decks 1 you need to focus on.

study group can help you to make study targets together and stick to it, when you study alone sometimes you might slack a bit, and ofcourse brainstorm the answers so its good if you have one. if you don't have a study group that's allright too, make your own targets and stick to it.

Hi, I'm planning to write the AFK 2016 too. Please let me know if you are still looking for a study partner.
Hello,

I am Chaitanya who resides in Canada. My wife was a dentist. She completed her degree in India. She wants to continue her studies, so can u please guide and give information how to prepare for the exams.

Thanks
Chaitanya

I got 90 this year.
I have all the qs and answers since 2001 to 2012 checked by university professors.
65% of the exam came form these questions
pls contact me on [email protected]
Hello,

I am preparing for afk 2016, so can u pls mail the question papers.I was looking for some support, I wish you would help me in this regard. My e mail id is [email protected].

Thanks
Chaitanya

Last edited:
Hi guys I'm registered for the feb 2016 sitting I'm wondering if we can form a group to go over advice and questions together for everyone else whose also sitting it?

Please can you also help and share with me or lead me to useful links i write mine in febuary

Hello
I am appearing for afk in September 2016. I am looking for group study. Please reply

its sad that no one helps out anymore, i write my afk exam in febuary 2016 . i only have released questions to study with. i even wanted to get the decks and someone told me not to worry that she will send it to me. wasted time i se textbooks now but it is well. any face book group or social group you have please inform me. im based in calgary . Thanks
[email protected]

its sad that no one helps out anymore, i write my afk exam in febuary 2016 . i only have released questions to study with. i even wanted to get the decks and someone told me not to worry that she will send it to me. wasted time i se textbooks now but it is well. any face book group or social group you have please inform me. im based in calgary . Thanks
[email protected]
hello for the DECKS I don't think someone will just send it to you .. you need to buy them online so you make sure you get them , you need to make some investments in order to get the right material . take care

Reactions: 1 users
hello for the DECKS I don't think someone will just send it to you .. you need to buy them online so you make sure you get them , you need to make some investments in order to get the right material . take care
Thanks it was because the person told me not to bother i didnt get it and it was too late for me to get it shipped by the time i wanted to buy them takes some 3 weeks to canada. Thanks anyway im taking the exam in August and am buying books i need.

Study group on skype
Email me to Join [email protected]

Hello!
I want to take the NDEB and the AFK exams, but I want to know what exactly the sources are, and also if I can study sources of the NBDE exam which is for the U.S. universities instead and still be ready to take the NDEB?
Thank you in advance!