National Guard ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amb21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend recently met with a National Guard recruiter as a way to possibly pay for DPT school and it sounds like it could be quite the deal. Tuition is covered, as well as a stipend. Your commitment is then 10 weeks of boot camp and working 2 days a month. I am going into my senior year of undergrad and find this to be a somewhat tempting idea and was wondering if anyone here has gone that route. Let me know some ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

what's the commitment post graduation?

From what my friend said it sound like it's a 6 year commitment. So in my case it would be 2 years after grad school, but still only those 2 days a month. Nothing extra. There is the chance of being called up for duty, but the National Guard is more like the states army so it's more like if a disaster happens. That's what I gathered

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the National Guard Units in my state have already been deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc...

Don't join any of the armed services unless you don't mind actually serving.

MotionDoc is correct. I don't have precise figures but a great percentage of troops serving in the warzones are National Guard units. I'm sure they diidn't think they would be deployed when they signed up for the educational benefits. What if you get called up while your in school? I would think long and hard before you commit.

Not only will you possibly get to go play in the sand box (A-stan or Iraq) if you enlist as others have mentioned, but the cost of PT school will most likely not be fully covered by the post 9/11 GI Bill. I used the pre 9/11 GI Bill and it was a great investment but it didn't cover anywhere near the cost of PT school.

Not only will you possibly get to go play in the sand box (A-stan or Iraq) if you enlist as others have mentioned, but the cost of PT school will most likely not be fully covered by the post 9/11 GI Bill. I used the pre 9/11 GI Bill and it was a great investment but it didn't cover anywhere near the cost of PT school.
The post 9/11 GI bill is quite a bit more than the chapter 30 GI bill. Here in Flagstaff it covered all my tuition and fees for the first year and gave me a stipend of 1400 a month. Not to mention it payed for books as well. The old GI bill, only gave me like 1100 a month for everything. That being said, I would not go back into the service again.