National Health Corps (Americorps) for a Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kfranko889

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am looking at gap year service opportunities for next year (current senior gaduating in May 2015) and I stumbled across Americorps' National Health Corps. From what I can gather, a position in this program invloves being a health advocate/educator at one of their 4 program sites (Chicago, Philly, North Florida, Pittsburg) for a year and recieving a modest living stipend. Does anyone here have any experience applying to or participating in one of these programs? I understand they are relatively new compared to other Americops programs.

My main concerns are the application process (how competitive, what do they like to see, etc.) and whether or not you are in a supportive environment which really allows you to make a difference. I spoke with an advisor from my school who was in City Year and Americorps VISTA, and she said she had great expereinces overall but had dificulty making an impact as a VISTA and noted that there wasn't a great support system like in City Year.

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No idea what they're looking for in applicants, but just be yourself and highlight why you're a good fit and how the program matches your values.
The local environment and impact probably really depends on the specific site, and will partially depend on your personality and how proactive you are.
Are you applying so that you can "really make a difference"? What type of difference/impact do you want to make over a year? Are you already familiar with the local community and the problem that you'll be addressing? Your expectations might be unrealistic.

I knew/worked with a few people on this service in Pittsburgh during one of my rotations. Granted I was only at one of the sites so I'm not sure what the support system is at other places, but the clinic was extremely supportive of the Americorps volunteers there. They even had a party for one of them who was finishing her year while I was there. The clinic really valued them as part of the team for patient education and advocacy. This all probably varies by site. Are you able to apply to specific sites?

Side note, Pittsburgh also has a relatively low cost of living for a city, so the stipend would probably go farther here than Philly or Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember to keep up your volunteer work too. AmeriCorps is a paid position with W-2 wage income. It isn't volunteering.

Between the stipend and the tuition bonus (more income), you will likely be paid more than the minimum wage employees you meet at your site.

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. I am doing National Health Corps this year. It is considered community service. You are not considered an employee. I am considered a volunteer at my site. Also, the tuition bonus goes directly to your loans, and you only get it if you complete the term.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, and on my third year med school rotations I am considered a doctor by my patients. But that doesn't mean I am a doctor.

I'm just giving y'all a fair warning: despite the federal government's doublespeak of the notion of a "paid volunteer" and "it's a stipend not a paycheck," Americorps service does NOT count as volunteer activity when you are applying to medical schools. Specifically, at medical schools that require volunteerism (like the University of Utah) the schools do not accept "paid volunteer" activities as volunteerism.