National Pre Vet Symposium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAgirl85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else attending the national prevet symposium at NCSU in March???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm probably not going this year since I'm a senior and I applied to vet school this year but I went to the past three APVMA symposiums and had a really good time. I went with the pre-vet club at my school. I would really recommend going to any underclassmen on this forum as it is a good chance to meet other pre-vetters and vet school reps.

I am going this year along with my pre-veterinary club. We may be a really small group but, we always have a ton of fun. Plus, with the help of another Arkansas university, we won the cheer contest last year! :laugh:

I think it's a very good opportunity for those a little unsure about the profession to see exactly what they're getting themselves into. Plenty of lectures and labs to get a basic understanding of what a veterinary semester may be like.

For those who know they want this profession, it's a great opportunity to network and get some basic skills within your chosen areas. You also get to meet with a variety of school officials from different universities to see what they can offer you. Sort of like a seminar and school fair all in one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be out of the country so I won't be able to attend (can't feel too sad about that when I'm in Costa Rica!), but it is going to be awesome. I know most of the people who have been doing the planning and it has consumed a rather significant chunk of their soul for the last year. Lots of awesome stuff lined up!

Some suggestions for lectures based on professors I know:
- Dr. Campbell, who is teaching the zoo animal welfare lectures, is my mentor and she's pretty much the most awesome person around. She's not a vet, but worked as a vet tech before becoming an elephant keeper and then getting her PhD researching lemur nutrition.
- Dr. Devoe who is speaking about wildlife rehab is also one of the main vets at the NC Zoo. From my limited time with him he seems like an absolutely amazing vet and is super nice.
- Dr. Marcellin-Little does really, really fascinating osseointegrated prosthetic work on small animals.
- Dr. Fish sort of looks... creeperish, but he's actually really sweet and is the head lab animal vet for the veterinary research facilities. If he does a similar sort of lecture he did for the class I TA'd, it will definitely make you think.
- Dr. Suter is apparently really nice; I have a friend who works in his lab and she absolutely adores him. They do bone marrow transplants and neat oncology things that I don't know a ton about.
- Dr. Marks heads our emergency department and has a really inspiring background, at least for me. He ended up doing undergrad in the US, then had to go abroad (I think UK) for vet school. He's done a lot of different things in his years, and he wears cool ties. Oh, and they see some awesome emergency cases. :laugh:

If you're going to have your own transportation and haven't booked hotels yet, I'll just leave this here, too...

Thanks for the info on this! Raleigh is only about a 3.5 hr drive for me, so I might actually be able to make this happen. I just need to see if I can get the time off from work as I work mainly weekends.

Would you have any information on parking? I have a dear friend that lives right outside of Raleigh so if I am able to attend, I wouldn't need hotel accomodations.

Thanks for the info on this! Raleigh is only about a 3.5 hr drive for me, so I might actually be able to make this happen. I just need to see if I can get the time off from work as I work mainly weekends.

Would you have any information on parking? I have a dear friend that lives right outside of Raleigh so if I am able to attend, I wouldn't need hotel accomodations.

Contact them and they'll give you better details - for the events going on at the hotel I'm unsure, but all the student/staff parking is free on weekends at the vet school, so it shouldn't be hard to park on your own.

(DrWildlife, I recognize you repping SDN on the APVMA facebook group! :laugh:)

(DrWildlife, I recognize you repping SDN on the APVMA facebook group! :laugh:)

Uh ohhh! :scared: hahah. I thought about that after I posted it :) I thought this forum would be better at answering questions than everyone trying to explain everything in just a few comments. I guess my profile picture does give me a way a bit too...but now I don't know who you are! Unfair! :laugh:

This trip is going to be killer for my club. All the way from Arkansas.....:sleep:

I guess my profile picture does give me a way a bit too...but now I don't know who you are! Unfair! :laugh:

This trip is going to be killer for my club. All the way from Arkansas.....

I suggest majoring in your "Plan B"... :D

And oh man that is going to suck. For the exotics symposium, I'm driving to a friend's place in Western NC, then sleeping there and doing the last three hours to TN in the morning. The drive back is NOT going to be fun, though, since I need to be in an 8am course on Monday morning. ick.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a little old, but I just officially registered for the symposium and I'm really excited! I went last year to try to finally make a decision about attending vet school or pursuing another animal-related career, and vet school won by a landslide! It helped me realize how fascinating veterinary medicine is. It was an amazing trip.

Some suggestions for lectures based on professors I know:
- Dr. Campbell, who is teaching the zoo animal welfare lectures, is my mentor and she's pretty much the most awesome person around. She's not a vet, but worked as a vet tech before becoming an elephant keeper and then getting her PhD researching lemur nutrition.
- Dr. Devoe who is speaking about wildlife rehab is also one of the main vets at the NC Zoo. From my limited time with him he seems like an absolutely amazing vet and is super nice.
- Dr. Marks heads our emergency department and has a really inspiring background, at least for me. He ended up doing undergrad in the US, then had to go abroad (I think UK) for vet school. He's done a lot of different things in his years, and he wears cool ties. Oh, and they see some awesome emergency cases. :laugh:

Thanks for the inside scoop ^^^^^ I signed up for all three of those seminars. They sound great!

Two days you guys!

What seminars is everyone attending? And what lab times? Would be cool to meet up!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I really wanted to go, but by the time I found out I'd have room in my schedule to travel to NC, registration AND the wait list was full. :( Maybe next year!

Anyone coming to OSU this weekend?

My pre-vet club is but I'm not because I already got into school :) It was fun last year in Iowa!