National Register/CPQ for License Mobility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entitlement

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looked through old threads to see if anyone has answered this question but the consensus from threads a few years back indicate that many folks weren't familiar with these services. Trying again to see if things have changed.

I'm in the middle of job hunt season and applying to a few Canadian faculty positions that require licensure in their respective provinces. The province licensing boards explain that U.S. licensure mobility requires getting your credentials approved through the National Register or the ASPPB's CPQ. This is the first I heard of either of these credentialing services other than the odd chatter here and there while a grad student. I've also tried asking colleagues but I got the *shrug* from just about everyone. Any preference to one or the other? Is this just a pure cash grab? I mean, it seems kind of pointless to fork over $250+ particularly when I'm already licensed. The "Ever get the feeling you get cheated" quote keeps running through my head as I look at these credentialing bodies haha.

Members don't see this ad.

I belong to National Register and my main reason is to expedite licensing when moving from one state to another and ensuring that all records are still available, especially important with verification of supervised hours which could be challenging if a supervisor was unavailable down the road. Not sure which one is preferable, I chose National Register because of the state that I was applying to at the time.

Reactions: 1 user
I also belong to the National Register. There are not many perks but you get free CEs and there is a small grant program for early career professionals.

I think the CPQ is a one-time thing and it seems to carry weight with more licensing boards, perhaps because you need to have more experience to obtain the credential.

ABPP is another option.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also belong to the National Register. There are not many perks but you get free CEs and there is a small grant program for early career professionals.

I think the CPQ is a one-time thing and it seems to carry weight with more licensing boards, perhaps because you need to have more experience to obtain the credential.

ABPP is another option.
The included CEs does come in handy.

Thanks everyone! So it looks like upon further investigation that the CPQ is free to bank your credential but they charge ~$200 if you need to use their verification services when transferring your license to another jurisdiction. The National Register is $250 to bank but it seems like that is a one time fee, and there are no fees for using their verification services after that? If that is the case, then the National Register is definitely the most cost effective credentialing service, especially when you consider the CEs.

ABPP is just not an option for me at this time until I know where I land career-wise.

You say there's no perks, but I got a nifty gold and purple paperweight.... so, yeah.

I got the scholarship and I have it for two reasons: 1) CE's, 2) licensure mobility.
I also tend to find myself very much in line with the vision of the national register, so that's a plus, but worthless.

You say there's no perks, but I got a nifty gold and purple paperweight.... so, yeah.

I got the scholarship and I have it for two reasons: 1) CE's, 2) licensure mobility.
I also tend to find myself very much in line with the vision of the national register, so that's a plus, but worthless.
Hey! I didn't get the paperweight. What gives? :(

lol pogs. The paperweight sounded enticing but NR pogs would put me over the edge. I'm going to show my age a bit but I never completely understood what the pog craze was all about.

pogs.jpg

I thought National Register had an annual renewal. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I didn't think so but after re-reading the website now I'm not even sure what I posted above is true. The website is not very straightforward about what exactly the fees are and whether they are one time only or each time you need to use their verification services. For those that are part of it, do you have an annual fee and/or do the initial credentialing/registration costs cover any license verification from then on out (as opposed to having to pay each time you need to verify your credentials)?

I see there are scholarships for ECPs so I'll just go ahead and apply to one of those and if I get it, I got my answer as to which to choose haha.

I didn't think so but after re-reading the website now I'm not even sure what I posted above is true. The website is not very straightforward about what exactly the fees are and whether they are one time only or each time you need to use their verification services. For those that are part of it, do you have an annual fee and/or do the initial credentialing/registration costs cover any license verification from then on out (as opposed to having to pay each time you need to verify your credentials)?

I see there are scholarships for ECPs so I'll just go ahead and apply to one of those and if I get it, I got my answer as to which to choose haha.
OK, I can answer those:
there is a annual fee, but IMO its worth it just for the CE's alone, at least in my case. It makes what I have to do outside of the online CE's pretty minimal, and that's nice. I think the fee is like $150-200. Verification is free. Basically they send the jurisdiction a letter stating they can vouch for your credentials that you have banked with them. Apparently that expedites licensure in that jurisdiction. I've not do that, but I did check into it becuase I thought I was going to get to move back to the republic of Texas.

also re: pogs, they were popular when my peers were into them, but aside from having like 10 or so of them I never got into it. The sweet paperweight you're all missing out on is the weight of the "slammer" (heavier) pogs, fwiw. Ya know, in case that ups your jealousy levels.