"Natural" Cancer Treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I'm assuming this sub-forum is frequented by oncologists and residents and people who are interested in the field. I wanted you guys opinion on "natural" or "unconventional" cancer treatment.

So about 5 or so months ago, one of my greatest fears came to pass. My mother was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer that has spread to other organs. It hit my family like a ton of bricks, we're all devastated. Everyday I think about how long she has, I can't see her everyday because I'm away at school 2 hours away.

Anyways, when I first found out about her diagnosis I immediately began to research "alternative" treatment options. I'm not big on chemo, I view it as poison. So as I'm researching, I'm finding out that there's basically an entire "anti-chemo" subculture on the interwebs. I was reading up on a lot of stuff, hoping to find something that could save my mom. I read about several people who claimed to have cured their cancer by drastically changing their diet, proton therapy, teas, herbs, carrot juice. Heck, I even saw that baking powder could shrink tumors lol.

One time I juiced some carrots and tried to get her to drink some, the look she gave me was priceless haha.

I had so many plans for her, I wanted her to go completely vegan; I wanted her to try to all these herbs I was reading about. But then a friend of mine told me something, he said "this is her battle, not your's. stop trying to control things you can't." After that, I stopped looking for a miracle cure and decided to just let whatever happen. The truth is that my mom has a 90% chance of dying in less than 5 years, and I have to accept that. No herb can change that fact, and I have to accept that.

I realized that I was just like those people who consult psychics when their child goes missing, I was desperately looking for anything that could save my mother. No matter how ridiculous it seemed, I wanted to try it. Those companies basically make money off people who are scared and desperate.

So my question for you guys: As a healthcare provider, what are you feelings about "natural" cancer treatment and people who claim to have cured their cancer "naturally" without drugs? Is it a complete load of crap? Does it exploit people? Is there anything positive about it?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I realized that I was just like those people who consult psychics when their child goes missing, I was desperately looking for anything that could save my mother. No matter how ridiculous it seemed, I wanted to try it. Those companies basically make money off people who are scared and desperate.

So my question for you guys: As a healthcare provider, what are you feelings about "natural" cancer treatment and people who claim to have cured their cancer "naturally" without drugs? Is it a complete load of crap? Does it exploit people? Is there anything positive about it?

Thanks.
Read a little deeper into those testimonials. Every single one will say something like "I got the standard treatment but it didn't really work, then I juiced/meditated/smoked a pound of weed a day/ate cat poop/whatever and the cancer just went away".

People who claim to have cured their cancer "naturally" are liars. People who claim that they can cure your cancer "naturally" if you just buy their supplement are liars and thieves. People who want to grasp at any opportunity to help themselves or their loved ones are just people.

You're right, chemo is poison. No s*** Batman. But so are most of these "natural cures". You know what's a totally "natural" substance that has been considered a cure for cancer? Arsenic. Let that sink in for a bit and then let your mom do what she wants and support her in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Read a little deeper into those testimonials. Every single one will say something like "I got the standard treatment but it didn't really work, then I juiced/meditated/smoked a pound of weed a day/ate cat poop/whatever and the cancer just went away".

People who claim to have cured their cancer "naturally" are liars. People who claim that they can cure your cancer "naturally" if you just buy their supplement are liars and thieves. People who want to grasp at any opportunity to help themselves or their loved ones are just people.

You're right, chemo is poison. No s*** Batman. But so are most of these "natural cures". You know what's a totally "natural" substance that has been considered a cure for cancer? Arsenic. Let that sink in for a bit and then let your mom do what she wants and support her in it.

Isn't it a real thing that cancer sometimes goes away on its own? So maybe it coincidentally went away while they were taking the alternative treatment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it a real thing that cancer sometimes goes away on its own? So maybe it coincidentally went away while they were taking the alternative treatment?

1- Thank you for bringing this insignificant post from the dead to ask such a general question
2- can cancer go away on its own? yes... but the odds that people who claim that cancer was cured on natural treatments are lying are ten million times higher than the cancer incidentally going away

Yes, that is a real thing (for a very small subset of cancers).

It is a much more common "real thing" that people are liars.

Reactions: 1 user
1- Thank you for bringing this insignificant post from the dead to ask such a general question
2- can cancer go away on its own? yes... but the odds that people who claim that cancer was cured on natural treatments are lying are ten million times higher than the cancer incidentally going away

Sorry, you're right this forum is really busy with many new questions daily so I shouldn't have blocked the other discussions with my pointless post

I was going to start a new thread but the title of this one seemed appropriate to my question...

I had a patient come in today with a report from their naturopathic doctor (actually FNP supervised by MD) - apparently patient paid OOP $300 to see practioner who prescribed $300 worth of supplements.

How do you handle this? I usually don't blink but just encourage patient to tell me what they're taking, but for some reason today I really felt this 80 yo was being taken advantage of.

I was going to start a new thread but the title of this one seemed appropriate to my question...

I had a patient come in today with a report from their naturopathic doctor (actually FNP supervised by MD) - apparently patient paid OOP $300 to see practioner who prescribed $300 worth of supplements.

How do you handle this? I usually don't blink but just encourage patient to tell me what they're taking, but for some reason today I really felt this 80 yo was being taken advantage of.
My approach to this stuff is:
"That's unlikely to hurt anything other than your checking account. If you decide that chemo is right for you then I want my pharmacist to review all of the meds and supplements that you're taking before we start to be sure that I don't harm you with my treatment."

It builds trust or at least provides me with medico-legal cover. I'm cool with either.

Reactions: 1 user
My approach to this stuff is:
"That's unlikely to hurt anything other than your checking account. If you decide that chemo is right for you then I want my pharmacist to review all of the meds and supplements that you're taking before we start to be sure that I don't harm you with my treatment."

It builds trust or at least provides me with medico-legal cover. I'm cool with either.

thx, i think that is the only reasonable response. I've cared for this particular patient for years, maybe that had something to do with my response yesterday.

I also couldn't believe that an ABIM-certified MD would lend their prescribing authority to this practice.