Natural Hair and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have natural hair and I braided it for school/interviews only so I don't have to worry about my hair. If you braid make sure to have the person not do them too tight . Also maybe just pull it gack like with a scrunchie

Members don't see this ad.

yea i dont want to worry about my hair too while in school. how long do you keep braids in for? on the bright side, its nice to see more black people in professional programs !! im from canada and i rarely see that.

I would leave them in for about three months at a time. My cousin went to school in Canada too.now is going to Northwestern for med school

Members don't see this ad :)
If you live near a hair dresser/have easy transport to one I would say leave them in about six-eight weeks

It's so sad that as black women, we have to worry about this nonsense. Shouldn't our grades, scores, ECs, and passion for medicine be what matters most? Not some stupid hair? That being said, I think a bun is the way to go. My hair is natural also, and that's how I plan to wear mine, should I ever be offered an interview in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Our hair shouldn't be the focus. However, I think most interviewers won't care unless they come from a very conservative background. That being said, buns, ponytails or modest updos are the best way to go. My hair is almost at the length that that I can pull it into a low ponytail. I'll probably wear that (or a low bun) on my interviews.

I have bra strap length 4c hair, I love to do high buns for the professional look even though I sometimes look like little girl :rolleyes: My stretched or straightened hair definitely gives me a more matured look which I would prefer for interviews. I appreciate my hair either way

Hey ladies. I have kinky curly hair as well and I limit the time I spend on it. I love a good weekend deep condition/detangling session but I don't like the belief that I must "do" something with my hair before leaving the house. So I was pleasantly surprised to see on the interview trail women wearing box braids, senegalese twists, short cropped fros, larger fros that hung a bit (haven't run into the picked out Angela David fro though), buns, ponytails, puffs, weaves, etc.

I rotated these two for every interview, second look event, etc. and it only took a couple of minutes.

a. Top knot - If the hair at your nape can reach the middle of your head, you can do a top knot. It's easier if you stretched your hair the night before (several braids) but I've done one while it was still wet from the shower. It made a smaller bun but it's great.

b. Twisted/braided bang with low bun - I think another poster mentioned this but what I love about this style is that you don't need the front of your hair to each the back of your head. (For all my 4-6 inchers, lol). I just put an off center part in the front and seperate out a rectangular section horizontally. Two strand twist or braid across and let that piece hang for a moment. Pull the rest of your hair back (should be easier since it's less hair) into a bun. Take the end of the twist/braid, wrap to the back of the bun and tuck. Like this but you know, with kinkier/curlier hair. :)

Seriously, it'll be fine. Don't worry about your hair, instead focus on your response to 'why this school'? I've seen a female interviewee in between textures (transitioning or just sweating out her blowout?) with curly at the top and completely straight at the bottom and no one batted an eye.

I think all that matters is don't be unkempt and probably avoid dying hair bubble gum pink before interview.

Reactions: 1 user