Nau

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kttdancer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen on different threads that quite a few people have applied to NAU. I just received an interview offer for Feb 27. Anybody else hear anything?

Members don't see this ad.

yup I was notified on Saturday about interview on Feb. 27.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you both! Great school. I love it here, well when it is not snowy...

Thanks pwrtrainer,
if you don't mind me asking... what do you like about NAU program? and Why did you choose to go to NAU?

I've got an interview on the 26th in the afternoon(thank goodness). I'm excited! I interviewed there last year as well.

Since you interviewed there before, mind sharing some pointers about their interview process?

Sure, I'll try! Last year it started with a little orientation/presentation by the Chairman of the program, Dr. Cornwall. After that, we each had two 30 minute interviews with two different faculty members, as well as a q&a session with current students, and a financial aid orientation. The order of things was different for everyone, and not everyone had the same interviewers. I was pretty much given all straight-forward questions which you would typically expect in a PT school interview. Nothing off the wall like "what kind of sandwich would you be.....".

Let me know if that helps or if you need anymore info!

I'm very new to this board and wanted to mention that I too have an interview at NAU on February 27. Looks like I will have some company from this board that same day in Flagstaff.

A little reach-out to pwrtrainer: I have been reading your posts (particularly the ones relating to NAU) and I wanted to know how much I appreciate your sharing, especially the information about the cirriculum and the faculty. Any advice or info to share for that interview next month? I'm pretty apprehensive. :oops:

I am invited for an interview on the 26th. As a resident of AZ, I can't argue with the value of the cost of school. I think that the price tag is under $25,000 for the entire 3-year program. Pretty amazing in this day and age, considering the cost of clinical doctorates has skyrocketed.

I completed a summer internship a number of years back with 2 really good therapists who had graduated from NAU. They spoke highly of the program and mentioned they had choices of elective classes over one summer. Is that still the case today, or has the curriculum changed and abandoned this component?

Pwrtrainer: I've been away for several days but thanks much for the in-depth response and great advice for the interview process. It's very helpful having someone on the inside with recent, first-hand info to share. Wish me luck!

I like that each teacher has been a PT for a very long time. One of the anatomy instructors actually started the program in the 80s. It is heavily evidence based and performance driven. I chose to go to NAU because it was the highest ranked of my choices and the cheapest. They teach us not to be only a PT, but to be a great clinician. Just today I was telling one of my classmates that I was so interested during my neuro class yesterday and he agreed. They just make every subject interesting, applicable and fun. Very glad I chose to go here..

Hey pwrtrainer...
I'm not sure if you remember this but how long does it take for NAU to notify that you were accepted to the program?
Also, can you tell me what you don't like or would be the weakness of nau program? Are you a resident of arizona? if not, how hard is it to get residency there?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got in after my 3rd year applying! Anyone else hear good news?!

yes i heard from them yesterday and now i have to decide which school to go to.
The interview was so intense. i didn't think i did well on it.. apparently i did.

Funny, because I thought I did well and got rejected... boo :scared: Luckily I have 2 other acceptances...

What was intense? I thought the interviews last year were laid back.

The overall day for interview was pretty laid back. All the students seems really nice. But i had an interview with one of the professors. He drilled me with question after question. I was asked a question like "If I was a cartoon character, who would i be?". It was very intense for me compared to other interviews that i had. But the other interviewer that i had was pretty laid back.

Also, pwrtrainer... Dr.Cornwell mentioned about patient simulation program that being used in the PT program through the nursing department. Can you tell me more about the patient simulation and how it is used in the program?

We used the simulated patients (dummies) as training tools for practicing transfers and such before we practiced on each other. It was also one of our assignments to walk into a room and asses what was wrong with our patient, i.e is the oxygen hooked up, is his iv kinked, catheter below urinary bladder etc. One of the class assignments was to teach all the transfer training to the nurses as well. As far as exposure to patients, don't worry, you get plenty of that. They just like to make sure you don't kill a dummy first...it helps that the nursing building is like fifty feet away from us as well..

I see.. Is this a new program that NAU start using because when i asked that question, none of the students 1st and 2nd years seem to know what it is. When do you guys starting using that patient simulation program?

Might be because it was only in our first semester we did this. May change for you guys. The program is like that, lots of evolution within, but the core stays generally the same. We dont call it patient simulation, we just had it as part of our patient management class. I may be completely off though and Dr. Cornwall may have some different things in store. I know in our second year we work with actual ortho patients as the "therapist" and a faculty member oversees us. We also have a neuro lab with actual patients pretty regularly. The only other patient simulation is where Cornwall acts like he is a patient with a list of symptoms and you have to diagnose him. Kinda fun, especially when he was a 60 year old woman with fybromyalgia that didnt present as it generally does and was crazy as hell. Makes for some effective learning.

haha.. Dr. Cornwall seems like a funny guy!
Thank you for sharing information about NAU, pwrtrainer.