Navy/AF recruiting flight surgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honkfactory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q. If you are an MD who has already completed his internship year, are the Navy or Air Force currently recruiting flight surgeons?

Members don't see this ad.

I do know that the Air Force was seeking additional flight surgeons as recently as this past fall. All you have to do is contact the healthcare recruiter to find out what opportunities are available.

Q. If you are an MD who has already completed his internship year, are the Navy or Air Force currently recruiting flight surgeons?
Not likely in the Navy (they've had no problems in filling up their flight classes with post-PGY1s. You could join via FAP, then start your service as a BC'd whatever. If you wanted an operational billet, you'd likely go out with the Marines or out to sea (as a senior medical officer). Flight might be an option at that point, buts its a path really only reserved for post PGY1 (pre residency completion)

I can't speak for the USN, but I have seen several email blasts from the USAF medical corps looking for flight surgeons over the last 1.5 years. They seem to be in short supply and are in great need. I have a friend who went thru family medicine residency, but decided he wanted to do something more operational. Although his leadership in the family medicine clinic was opposed to him leaving, one email to the Aerospace Med consultant/assignments officer and he was transferred to flight medicine in the same base after attending the Flight Surgeon training (AMP). Going this route could burn some bridges, but you ultimately need to do what is best for you.

In your case, it sounds like you are exploring this option from the civilian world. The answer to your question is 'Yes, there is a high demand for GMO flight docs in the USAF.'

Good luck!