Navy and Air Force quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red tail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with a Navy and an Air Force recruiter.

The Navy recruiter told me that there are only 4 year Navy HPSP scholarships. Is that true? I was sure there were 3 and even 2 year scholarships for the Navy, but I could be wrong.

Also, the Air Force recruiter told me that 2 year Air Force scholarships are very hard to get, there are only 5 spots. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I am asking if things have changed for the Navy, because I know someone who did 3 year back in the 90's.

There are still 3 year and 2 year scholarships in the Navy. There are just a whole lot more 4 year scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 2 year scholarship does not make sense. Wait and do FAP. If you need clarification, I will be happy to provide numbers. 2 year scholarship = 3 yr ADSO with only 2 years of benefits/pay.

A 2 year scholarship does not make sense. Wait and do FAP. If you need clarification, I will be happy to provide numbers. 2 year scholarship = 3 yr ADSO with only 2 years of benefits/pay.

As a rule, I will agree. The exception would be if your school costs over $45K per year. Then it might be better to do HPSP.

With the 2 year HPSP you would be able to do internship + 2 yr GMO and get out.

I thought the Navy ONLY offered enough 2 or 3 year scholarships to meet recruiting shortfalls from the previous years' 4-year quota ... or to replace people who quit or flunked out.

Ie, every year the # of HPSP's expected to graduate in year XXXX fluctuates and the shorter scholarships are there to bring the anticipated # of year XXXX graduates back in line with the goal.

With the last few years of recruitment going well, I thought 2/3 year scholarships were more rare than usual.

No, they build in 2 and 3 year scholarships. Not many, but there are a couple dozen 3 year and a dozen 2 year. Some people are late in applying and others have a delayed interest.

4 year is the most popular.