Navy Aviation Medical Examiner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krwhite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do y'all know about this? I know very little, but I need to consider it, since my anthros have DQ'd me from flight surgery. Is AME worth doing?

Members don't see this ad.

What do y'all know about this? I know very little, but I need to consider it, since my anthros have DQ'd me from flight surgery. Is AME worth doing?

Have never met an actual AME while I was on active duty. It sounds like all the negatives of being a Flight doc without any positives. Why don't you go dive?

Surprised NAMI didn't waiver the anthros?

Members don't see this ad :)
As others said, it is all the negatives and no positives. I doubt you would be assigned to a squadron or have the chance to deploy; you would just be a either a clinic doc doing physicals and sick call or, if you were lucky, find a ship billet. I am surprised they won't waiver you for helos.

I recommend you do something else altogether. The upside is you can be back in residency a year sooner.

I believe that I would enjoy my job even if I was unable to fly. But you may be better off in GMO land.