Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Navy Dive Medicine Clerkship?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by DaveB, 01.13.04.

1. DaveB

DaveB Slave to The Man

Attending Physician
    Navy SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Dive Doc (and any other DMOs out there):

Are there any interesting places that you reccomend doing an AT late in my 4th year so that I can get some good exposure to dive medicine? Or at least are there good places to go so I can get to know the people who do the DMO selection? I met CAPT Gersha (the Dive Medicine Speciality Leader) last year while doing an AT in Pensecola, and he reccomended I do this, although he never told me where would be a good place to go.
  2. bustbones26

bustbones26 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Just in case anybody from the army reads this post and is interested in dive medicine.

The internal medicine department at Ft. Eustis has a doctor one staff that went to dive school and does all of the dive medicine for the army dive team. Apparently, the army does have one dive team, and it is at Ft. Eustis. So if you are in the army, don't think you cannot do dive medicine because you are not in the navy.
  3. GMO_52

GMO_52 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    A buddy of mine went to the Navy Experimental Dive Unit in Panama City and got to play around with some cool new dive gear, scored a wetsuit, and PT'd till the sun came up.
  4. Navy Dive Doc

Navy Dive Doc Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I had 3 army Docs, recently out of FP residencies headed toward special forces units, in my Dive School Class so you can go if you are army. Also, every once in awhile, the Air Force will send someone who is going to work with the PJs. Not many, but a few chances for other service folks to step up and be Deep Sea.

Experimental Dive Unit would be a great choice, especially if you can schedule it during March while SPring break is in full swing, the Navy will pay for your travel and lodging, you can watch EDU bend some divers and certainly PT all you want, then go out and party in Panama City. This is what I'd do if I could go back to 4th year. Plus, there is a DMO class going through in March, so you could hook up with them and get some good gouge on who to know, etc. BUD/S training center in Coronado CA would be another good choice, for similar reasons.
    DD
  5. bb622

bb622 Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Navy Dive Doc or anyone else, if I am understanding your post you say it would be a good idea to only schedule one rotation at a major Navy Teaching hospital and then do another clerkship at a Dive or Flight Unit. I didnt know that we could go specifically for an away rotation 4th year to one of those places, or is it going to one of those places but for something like a Family Medicine rotation. If you could shine any light on that, because I would be afraid to put all my eggs in one basket( ie only rotate at one hospital) for a transitional or other internship. Since I wouldnt have worked at the other hospitals at all.
    Thanks,
    BB
  6. Navy Dive Doc

Navy Dive Doc Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Just stumbled on this post, sorry it's a little late.

You're right, rotating at only one hospital does put all your eggs in one basket. However, a single strong rotation with some good letters is probably all you need. Interview everywhere you want to go, you don't have to rotate to interview. Several of my fellow interns never rotated at our hospital, just came for interviews. I did my 4th year rotations at the hospitals (actually, both at the same hospital), worked hard to get the internship I wanted, got it and did the normal 4th year med student thing. In hindsight, I had a strong first rotation, a very good interview with the program director of the internship strongly indicating at that interview that he was going to take me as an intern. I could have stopped with the one hospital rotation and been fine. I was the typical pre-match 4th year, worried despite a strong record. Judge for yourself your own competitiveness.

One thing to start thinking about is this: You've accepted a military scholarship, and the service owns you. The rules are often insane, some things are less than ideal, you will get screwed, etc. One rule I've had since joining is that if I can get something fun, interesting, unusual, unique to military service, etc. I was going to pursue it. This is why I actually think the GMO is a good thing despite what everyone else on this forum (mostly HPSPers still caught in the "gotta get trained, gotta get my residency, gotta get a deferment, etc.) seems to think. I have my whole life to practice radiology, I only had one shot at being a Navy Diver, jumping out of Helos, riding submarines, shooting grenade launchers, etc. This stuff is fun, and it takes some of the sting out of the administrative BS, family separation, etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling again, but the point is, having someone pay you to PT on an all expenses paid trip to Panama City or San Diego during spring break is one of those good deals that I should have pursued. Sure, you won't learn much medicine, but you'll have fun, make some connections in the DMO community (or flight or whatever), see some good stuff and start realizing that your days of gunning hard for everything are almost over. It's hard to imagine now, but life is not like the constant acheivement grind of med-school. I didn't realize that until midway through internship, accepted for DMO training, and hated medicine so much that I was sure I would never practice once my HPSP payback was complete. Once I was out of that environment, I figured out how it really is/should be. Most GMOs do, and I think that is why so many of us change specialty choice while we're out in the fleet.

Rambling again, I know, so the bottom line...assess how competitive you are, do one rotation at a hospital to impress the people you need to, and then consider some good deal time on the Navy's tab. Take what you can, when you can. If you're marginal, by all means do another rotation to wow the attendings. If you feel confident, go play at the end of 4th year, you've earned it.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal