Navy HPSP Additional Research or 2nd Degree Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubertrooper60

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a current MS1 who is considering taking a 3 year HPSP scholarship with the Navy. Let me preface my question by saying that I was accepted for the HPSP last spring for the 4 year scholarship, but ultimately turned it down for a variety of different reasons. I have done hours of research regarding the scholarship and all its pros and cons (and all you ever hear about are cons on SDN) by researching the internet, speaking with prior military physicians from all walks of life and specialties, and more. I feel as though I know the nuts and bolts of the system and all the potential outcomes that may await me if I choose the scholarship.

Though I turned it down originally, I find myself still considering the program. However, at my medical school, our pre-clinical coursework is highly condensed, leaving our MS3 year open entirely to research or an additional degree. This tends to make students here highly competitive for residencies. Additionally, a good portion of each class takes an additional year on top of that to pursue high quality, longitudinal research, additional degrees such as MBAs, or more. I am highly considering some form of surgery (potentially neuro, plastics, general, or trauma), and am considering this path of MS1, MS2, two research/additional degree years, and then MS4, putting me at 5 years total. Is this something that would be possible with the HPSP?

I really appreciate your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Short answer is no.

If you take HPSP with this plan in mind the amount of hoops you would have to jump through would be insane. Plus they can just say no and you will not be able to do any of your longitudinal research degrees at all. You know, I am pretty sure they will just say no.

They more specific your plans the more you should steer away from HPSP is the general advice I have been given.

OP also bear in mind that as a physician in the military your extra degree, be it a MBA, MPH, or even Ph.D will largely be wasted. You will be expected to see patients as a doctor, be that as a surgeon in the OR or as a GMO at sick call. If you have extra interests in medicine like research or healthcare policy/delivery, you will get better traction in the private sector. Good luck.