Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ar94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does the Navy HPSP program work? I was recently accepted into SUNY and I was wondering if it was too late to apply. For the record, I honestly do want to serve this country. I've always considered joining the military but optometry has always been my calling. I honestly didn't know this program existed for ODs as well. Now, it seems to me like a great way to pay off debt and at the same time find a way to serve my country.
I thought it was only for MDs and DDS. If anyone has been through HPSP can you enlighten me on the application process? I couldn't find much information on their website. Thanks in advance I truly appreciate the SDN community. I also wouldn't mind learning more about the Army HPSP program as well.

P.S. I had a 3.9 sGPA and 3.9 cGPA in undergrad. Does this help the likelihood of getting a scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

The Army offers two and three-year scholarships for Optometry. The scholarship is fairly competitive (about 10/year given) and only to those attending accredited schools in the US or Puerto Rico. It pays full tuition, authorized fees, books and equipment. It also pays ~2,200.00/month in stipend for 10 ½ months/year and Second Lieutenant pay for the remaining 45 days.

The Selection Board for the scholarship is normally in the January for a scholarship start May/June timeframe, which means you need to have your packet together no later than November. If you are interested you need to contact the nearest Army Healthcare recruiter. You can find one through the Army’s website GOARMY.COM or 800-872-2769.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I went through the Navy process last year. Basically contact your nearest Navy Health recruiter to get more information. I met with mine I want to say around July to get the process started - paperwork, scheduling the physical exam, etc. She was very helpful. If you'll be a first year this fall, you would be eligible for their 3-year scholarship, and you have to serve 3 years when you get out of school. Your GPA will certainly help but as far as I can tell, the navy program is just as competitive as the Army one. My GPA was similar to yours and I went to a competitive undergrad and I got waitlisted for the program.

Reactions: 1 user