Navy ODS Tips and Insights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi--I was just told that they won't be commissioning any more NAVY HPSP-ers until August 1. Any idea why? What this means? Thanks.

Do you have a selection letter already? Mine says I can commision in July, which I assume means that I will also be going to the ODS in July-Aug. Guess no real break before school starts, ahh well.

Forgot to ask, can men really not have an electric shaver? my face is so used to it now i get weird stuff happening when i try and go back to a razor and shaving gel.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a selection letter already? Mine says I can commision in July, which I assume means that I will also be going to the ODS in July-Aug. Guess no real break before school starts, ahh well.

Forgot to ask, can men really not have an electric shaver? my face is so used to it now i get weird stuff happening when i try and go back to a razor and shaving gel.
Expect to use a razor to shave. Even if you were allowed (we eventually were), you may find time and/or oulet space to be a limiting factor.

So what's the deal with this? I am currently 1/2 way through my first year of medical school. My packet is at the board right now. If I get selected shouldn't I be able to get comissioned now and head to ODS in June (before second year starts)? Anyone know what's going on?

Members don't see this ad :)

ODS classes fill fast. If you're commissioning in July, you won't also be going to ODS in July. Enjoy your break before school.

So what's the deal with this? I am currently 1/2 way through my first year of medical school. My packet is at the board right now. If I get selected shouldn't I be able to get comissioned now and head to ODS in June (before second year starts)? Anyone know what's going on?

In my experience, the June class is probably the most desirable class, because for many it's the only one that fits their schedule. You should ask when the next time the board is meeting to get an idea, but after you're commissioned you have to wait for the HPSP program to contact you - you can't ask for ODS dates until you're officially in the system.

To give you a time frame, I had my select letter in May, waited quite a while for Congressional approval, Commissioned in July, and was contacted by the HPSP director at the end of August (already 2 weeks into medical school).

I'd set my sights on next year, but you may be able to get on a wait list if you try. FYI October is the earliest you can request a date, so be on top of that (e-mailing before then can't hurt, but they will tell you when to try again).

ODS classes fill fast. If you're commissioning in July, you won't also be going to ODS in July. Enjoy your break before school.

Naw I was just told by one of the guys in TN to check my dates and if school didn't start before 8/20 I could get in that class. But I'm sure it will fill up fast, especially if lots of other people are forced to wait until July to get in. I want to get it done but was hoping to have a little more break then that would offer.

Ok so I spoke with my recruiter and he said that it is true that no one is getting comissioned in HPSP until July 2010. I asked him if this is the case with HSCP as well. He wasn't sure and would check. Anyone know if HSCP (where you are an E-6 while in school, no comission) is under the same restrictions? Meaning, if I get selected by the board and take HSCP would it start this Spring?

so is there any advantage to getting my uniforms ahead of time, I live 15 min away from an airforce base where i can buy my uniforms.

so is there any advantage to getting my uniforms ahead of time, I live 15 min away from an airforce base where i can buy my uniforms.
If you're looking for Navy uniforms, you probably won't find them at an AF exchange. But if you're headed to ODS as your first ADT, you shouldn't buy them ahead of time anyway. You won't be expected to show up with anything, and one of the earlier things you do is march over to the uniform shop to get fitted as a company.

I'm on deferrment at this time and will be finishing residency this summer. I still need to complete ODS which will be done in August. My question is when I am completing ods what will I be paid? Will it be base pay as a lieutenant plus BAH or just base pay or what. Just wondering because I will have a house payment for my wife. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on deferrment at this time and will be finishing residency this summer. I still need to complete ODS which will be done in August. My question is when I am completing ods what will I be paid? Will it be base pay as a lieutenant plus BAH or just base pay or what. Just wondering because I will have a house payment for my wife. Thanks in advance

You should be paid O-3 base pay and BAH at the dependent rate, but not BAS since your meals will be provided.

The links I post here seem to either not work once clicked on or they are very slow. So, I cut and pasted directly from the site. I found this info to be helpful for prepping for ODS

ODS REQUIRED PAPERWORK/ITEMS TO BRING
Below is the required paperwork needed for each student reporting to Officer Training Command Newport. You will receive all paperwork turned in to us back at the end of the
course. For HPSP Students, please scroll to the bottom of the page to see your paperwork
requirements.

Officer Development School Required Paperwork
(Bring 3 copies of each requirement)
-Permanent Change of Station (PCS) or Reserve Orders and any Modifications
-Copies of prescriptions from civilian physicians if taking prescription medication. At minimum 1 weeks' worth of medication should be hand carried with you. You may bring 5 weeks worth, but with a prescription you can get it filled once you are here.

-All medical/dental records and immunization records. Military and Civilian.
-Oath of Office. This is MANDATORY!!!
-Direct Deposit Information (Your banks routing number and your account number).
- Direct deposit is not optional. Bring your bank account number and financial institution's routing number (RTN) for your
direct deposit. You will be offered the opportunity to open an account with Navy Federal Credit Union but this is not
mandatory.
-Birth certificate. (Original or Notarized Copy.)
-Social Security Card. (Original or Notarized Copy.)
-State or Federal issue photo identification (driver's license, state identification card or passport).
-Marriage License. (if applicable) (Original or Notarized Copy.)
-Spouse's identification card. (if applicable) (Original or Notarized Copy.)
-Birth Certificates and Social Security Cards for all dependents (all children/spouse if applicable). (Original or Notarized Copy.)
-Child custody documents (if applicable) (Original or Notarized Copy.)
-Divorce documents (if applicable) (Original or Notarized Copy.)
-Recruiter Contact Information (Name/Phone/Fax and NRD Address)

!!ACCESSION BONUS INFORMATION!!: If you are receiving an accession bonus, we
will need:
o Service Agreement
o Congratulations Letter

For Prior Military Service Only:
-All DD-214's

Page Two (Record of Emergency Data). -It would be acceptable if you re-signed the two copies of the current page 2 on the last page under your previous signature. Your new signature means that there are no changes to the current page 2, and that it is up-todate.

After your new signature, put today's date. Without a page 2, we cannot pay you Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Type 2.

Last PSD Point of Contact info (POC Name/Phone/Fax/and Address)

For HPSP Students Only.

You will not need the above paperwork. You only need to bring the
following:

-Permanent Change of Station (PCS) or Reserve Orders and any
Modifications
-You must have a current Record of Emergency Data that has been \
verified within the last 12 months. If not, please contact the HPSP
office.
**Please note, all HPSP students pay issues will be handled by the
HPSP office in Bethesda, Maryland. If you have questions or need

assistance, please email
[email protected] and your inquiry will be processed promptly by the HPSP staff.

***All HPSP student medical/dental records will be sent to ODS from the HPSP office.

Immunizations: the following immunizations/labs will be administered/drawn at ODS:

TWINRIX (HEP A/HEP B Combination)
HEP A Series
HEP B Series
HIV and Results (Within last year) HEP B Titer Tetanus (Tdap)
PPD (Tuberculosis) IPV (Polio) Influenza
Varicella Titer Typhoid Yellow Fever
MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Varicella
ABO/RH (Blood Type)
G6PD/Sickle Cell V Zoster IGG DNA

**If you have immunization records (military or civilian) that cover these items, you will need to bring them, or you will receive them again. You will need these on day one of training.

Other Items:

**Special Dietary and Religious needs must be expressed on the first day of training. OTCN
will do everything possible to accommodate all special and religious needs without compromising training.

Money: Meals will be paid for by each student. Money is collected on a weekly basis by the
company mess treasurer. Meals cost approximately $10.80/day (Breakfast $2.30/Lunch
$4.25/Dinner $4.25) for a weekly cost of $75.60. You should bring enough cash to handle the
first two weeks of meals ($151.20). You will have access to an ATM machine.

***You will need at least $150.00 cash (small bills) for the first 2 days, as ATM access
during training may take 2 days to get to.

Required Items To Bring:
You will be issued all necessary uniform items upon arrival at ODS. You will also receive a
clothing allowance of $400.00 (Prior Chief Petty Officers will not receive this, as they have
already received an allowance). Below are the items needed to begin training.

MEN

_ T-Shirts (white, crew neck) – 8 each
_ Underwear, Briefs – 10 pair
* boxer briefs boxer shorts/regular
-Athletic Socks (white) – 10 pair –
(Any type and length)
-Towel – 2 each
-Washcloth – 2 each
-Black dress socks – 5 pair
-T-Shirts (white, crew neck) – 8 each
-Swim Trunks (Black or navy Blue)

WOMEN
_ Brassiere/Sports Bras
_ Swimsuit, one piece conservative
(Black/Navy Blue)
-Black dress socks – 5 pair
- T-Shirts (white, crew neck) – 8 each
- Underwear, Briefs– 10
*basic underwear
-Athletic Socks (white) – 10 pair
(any type and length)
-Towel – 2 each
- Washcloth – 2 each

Personal Toiletries Personal Toiletries
_ Basic Items Onlly

_ Shaving gear (no electric shavers)

_ Toothbrush/paste and floss

_ Deodorant

_ Soap/Shampoo

_ Nail Clippers

_ Shower shoes

_White mesh laundry bag

_ Feminine Hygiene Products

No Make-up or hair products (gel/mousse/hairspray) will be authorized
until the last portion of training. You may bring them.

_ Civilian Clothes. Civilian clothes should be brought. You will have approximately 4-5 days of
liberty when you can wear civilian clothes. Plan accordingly.

_ All students need to bring a combination padlock. (Key locks are not authorized)

Prior Enlisted:

_ Bring medals (Large), Ribbons, and Warfare Devices. If your prior service was with any
service other than the Navy, you will need to procure or order your medals/ribbons/devices prior
to your arrival. The Uniform Shop here does not carry a large assortment of different service items.

Running Shoes:
_ Please invest in a quality pair of running shoes less then six months old. You will be running
5-7 miles per week, depending on where you are in training. Running is conducted on
pavement, so a good pair of shoes is important. (Running will be less during winter months due
to outdoor conditions.)

Authorized Items:
_ Alarm Clock, Battery-Operated (No radio function)
_ Cell Phones (will be authorized after hours)
_ Wristwatch (will be authorized later in training)
_ Wallet and Check Book/Debit Card

Other Items:

_ 12" ruler
_ 2-3 black ink ball point pens
_ Envelopes
_ 6" x 9" Steno Notebook. (Basic Color)
_ Cleaning supplies. Students usually spend money buying personal cleaning supplies. You
may bring these items if you desire. (Usual Items cover basic dusting and cleaning personal
spaces)
-Shoe Shine Kit (Black Polish/Brush/Cloth)
-Small box of laundry detergent (for first few days)
* There is a place to purchase these items if you do not wish to pack them. Navy
Exchange/Wal-Mart and other locations are located on or close to the base.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm scheduled for ODS 2011. What is graduation like and what does it consist of? How long does it last and who can attend as far as family.
Thank You

Hi

What is graduation like and what does it consist of?
Well, first there's a part where you march around in a sort of rectangle. Then there's a part where you stand around and go from attention to parade rest and back to attention over and over again. Then there's a really long speech where you need to stand perfectly still. And finally, around the middle of the speech, there's a really cool part where everyone who locked out their knees passes out.

How long does it last
A few hours.

and who can attend as far as family.
Anyone and everyone. There are bleachers and most graduates won't invite more than a couple of people, so there's plenty of room. There's also a really nice reception a night or two before graduation that might (I don't remember) have a limit on the number of guests you can bring.

Thank You

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm scheduled for ODS 2011. What is graduation like and what does it consist of? How long does it last and who can attend as far as family.
Thank You

Do you happen to know what the 2011 ODS dates are?

My recruiter told me commissioning is usually done in July and I subsequently will most likely not be able to commission and attend ODS prior to MS1 beginning (this fall). However, he also mentioned that it's remotely possible to apply for an early commission and be able to attend ODS this summer. Does anybody have any further knowledge on the subject? I'd much prefer to knock ODS out of the way this summer if possible.

I'll be heading up for ODS next saturday and it says we had to arrive and be in "appropriate civilian attire" . does anybody know what constitutes appropriate? When my dad was there 30 years ago it was coat and tie but I haven't seen anything that implies that level of formality now.

also any other tips on things to bring or things to be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be heading up for ODS next saturday and it says we had to arrive and be in "appropriate civilian attire" . does anybody know what constitutes appropriate? When my dad was there 30 years ago it was coat and tie but I haven't seen anything that implies that level of formality now.

also any other tips on things to bring or things to be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

I still remember more than a decade ago, two prior chief PAs showing up in flip-flops, shorts and hawaiian shirts. Despite their best efforts, both passed OIS.

Shirt with a collar, slacks, socks, shoes.

There are a few lists of suggested things to bring from past posters on the forum ( I remember writing one myself when I got back from ODS last year). In general, cleaning stuff, uniform prep, personal stuff. I showed up with little more than the "required items" and had to buy a lot at the exchange.

I will be going to ODS in July. I am really concerned because I am a horribly weak runner/swimmer. My recruiter says I will only have to swim one length of the pool and back... Is that true? My recruiter also told me I don't need to memorize that list of stuff like the sailors creed, etc. Is that true? Thanks!!!

I will be going to ODS in July. I am really concerned because I am a horribly weak runner/swimmer. My recruiter says I will only have to swim one length of the pool and back... Is that true? My recruiter also told me I don't need to memorize that list of stuff like the sailors creed, etc. Is that true? Thanks!!!

http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods.asp This may help - it should have a list detailing what you need to memorize and what the swim test entails. Failing the PRT (running, pushups, and crunches) will not keep you from graduating ODS, however failing the swim test will. They'll put you in remedial swim if you do, and they'll work with you until you pass.

What's the swim test like?

its super easy, my company had a 100% pass rate. 50 yard swim (can do freestyle, sidestroke, breaststroke, or elementary backstroke or any combination), you have to jump off a 10 foot platform, and you have to do a deadman's float for 5 min.

I'm at ODS now and the physical activity is really not bad at all. The farthest run we ever do is about 2.5 miles and usually its only 1.5 miles, and its done in groups of different speeds so you won't ever be getting killed too badly. The swim really is only 2 lengths (its a square pool so you start at one corner and swim around the edge to the opposite one). You don't need to memorize the creed and articles before hand, but you'll need to have them memorized by your first uniform inspection (about 2 weeks after we started for us), so if you're not the fastest at memorizing things it wouldn't kill you to get a head start.

hope that helps!

Ive read through the thread to make sure I am not asking a question that has already been asked, and as far as I can tell, it hasnt. Some background: I am a prior navy enlisted (5 years, e-5, honorable discharge) pre-pharmacy student. I'm wrapping up my last year of prerequisites and will be applying to pharmacy schools soon. Here are some questions:

1. Are you commissioned before ODS? If so how does that process work? They take a look at your degree and hand you a commission?

2. I see that some people have just entered professional school and have yet to even graduate. How is it possible that these people have been given commissions in the USN staff corps when they have yet to finish their professional degree for their position (i.e. MD)? What if they fail out of professional school?

3. How difficult is it to attain acceptance to the medical staff corps: pharmacy? Does my prior enlisted service give me an edge?

4. As someone who holds a fresh PharmD, but has no experience, would I enter the staff corps as an O-3?

5. Can I apply for the program as a pre-pharmacy student?

Looking forward to any help with these questions. Thanks all.

Quick question:

I leave for ODS in a few days. The ODS website says that we need to have an up to date physical and a current HIV test (recent up to 48 months) prior to attending. My last physical and HIV test was April 2008 so I am past the 48 months by just a few.

I've spoken to my recruiter as well as a HSPS CDR who works for the registrar and both said that I can just have the tests done on site.

Do people usually get hassled because of this or should I really not be worried? I know from reading this thread that those who forgot to bring their immunization records were simply given all of them on site...

Thanks

Quick question:

I leave for ODS in a few days. The ODS website says that we need to have an up to date physical and a current HIV test (recent up to 48 months) prior to attending. My last physical and HIV test was April 2008 so I am past the 48 months by just a few.

I've spoken to my recruiter as well as a HSPS CDR who works for the registrar and both said that I can just have the tests done on site.

Do people usually get hassled because of this or should I really not be worried? I know from reading this thread that those who forgot to bring their immunization records were simply given all of them on site...

Thanks

I, too, will be leaving in a few days. The website seemed to imply we were fine, so I'm not getting anything else done aside from acquiring my immunization records.

Just don't show up calling it HSPS. You'll get hassled for that! The thing that you signed your life to is called the HPSP which stands for Health Professions Scholarship Program. Regardless, don't worry about getting the physical done. There's plenty of down time that they can send you out to get it done if they really need it. For most of you that aren't O-3's going active immediately after ODS, nothing you do there is of any REAL importance, including the PFTs and NKO stuff. Just relax, have fun, make friends.

GREETINGS! I was very pleased to see some decent posts regarding ODS. I am a 50 yr old here in San Diego, and RETIRED from the U.S. Navy as HMCS (Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman) after 22 yrs...and NOW going back in...this time as a U.S. Navy Physician! I'm BEYOND STOKED!!!

I've got to lose 26 lbs to get down to ("make tape") Navy Regs. I'm kicking my BUTT getting the run down...I'm doing the 1.5 miles in 17:22...for my age group, i see it's GOT to be @ :16:15 or LESS. I'm also getting the pushups and situps (curlups) down as well. I've got a few months left...wondering if anyone's here in the SD (San Diego) area that wants to get together. I'm motivated to get this done by myself, if need be...but would GREATLY appreciate having a partner for this!

I am VERY PROUD and VERY HUMBLED that I have this (LITERAL) chance of a lifetime be presented to me again!

Question: I don't know if anyone here that WENT through ODS received the CSWAB ("accession bonus") or not...IF you did...can you tell me **WHEN** you are given the check or direct deposit? I've read in my contract "...upon attendance to Officer Development School..." the Chief here was not able to give me any 'specifics' as to WHEN it would be issued.

ANOTHER question: I read in a post that during your 'on-base' and 'off-base- liberties, you are in uniform...are you in the uniform assigned by he local command there signifying you as an ODS student (officer candidate), or are you wearing uniform complete with the rank you've been given per contract?

GREAT POSTS, guys! Thanks for the insight to ODS! I'll look forward to your replies!

Ed

ANOTHER question: I read in a post that during your 'on-base' and 'off-base- liberties, you are in uniform...are you in the uniform assigned by the local command there signifying you as an ODS student (officer candidate), or are you wearing uniform complete with the rank you've been given per contract?

GREAT POSTS, guys! Thanks for the insight to ODS! I'll look forward to your replies!

Ed

Can't help with the first question. But for the second, when you go to ODS you will be a commissioned officer, not an officer candidate. You'll wear whatever rank they commission you as (probably O3 if you haven't been practicing long) and your uniform is the same one you'll be wearing after you're done with ODS.

Good Morning, from San Diego!

Okay...Great information from you...I'm sure I'll be picking up lots of great info through this site. I've been practicing for a bit..I'm actually going in as LCDR w/ some time under my belt...not bad, in my opinion. I'm hoping to meet someone here in the SD area that has been through ODS..none so far.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ed

I'm heading to ODS soon and was wondering also about receiving the ASP bonus while at ODS. Is this possible? I read something about a commanding officer having to sign off on it. Who is this generally? THanks

Regarding your question about the 'ASP' incentive, according to my reading,
"ASP: Medical corps officers who agree to remain on active duty for one year and are not in initial internship or residency are entitled to $15,000. This is payable every year on the anniversary of graduation from internship/residency to those with a valid, unrestricted medical license. If you are just graduating from internship (and not going straight into residency) you are eligible and only need to have APPLIED for licensure. You must send a letter to BUMED each year. This is the so-called “GMO Bonus”."

Here's the link to the above statement http://www.officersguide.org/10.html

I'm actually collecting the MSP 'side' of the game here...looks like the difference with the ASP is that you are paid that amount on the anniversary of your graduating from Residency. Looks to me as if it comes automatically (per BUPERS)...I don't see anything pertaining to requiring a sign-off from your C.O.

Hope I helped a little...

Good Morning, from San Diego!

Okay...Great information from you...I'm sure I'll be picking up lots of great info through this site. I've been practicing for a bit..I'm actually going in as LCDR w/ some time under my belt...not bad, in my opinion. I'm hoping to meet someone here in the SD area that has been through ODS..none so far.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ed

I'm just heading to the fleet to start my time, in San Diego. I went to OIS (that's what it was called before ODS) 9 years ago. Yikes. Anyway, I can recall there was one guy there, a physician, who was going through as a LCDR. Somehow because he was a general surgeon, and a chiropractor he was starting at O-4. He was going to Groton, but that was in 2000.

You haven't asked around up at Balboa about your question? I'm sure someone there was in your situation.

Yes, I have a seemingly ridiculous question: do I have to go to ODS? But before you laugh me off as an imbecile who didn't know what he signed up for, check out my story: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754352

So for those who didn't click the link, I am a prior service USN O-3 Intel Officer who made the tragic mistake of completely resigning my commission in July 2009. I joined again while in my first year (Apr 2010) of med school through the HSCP program. My second year at Jefferson starts in a week.

I remember fondly my 13 weeks in Pensacola, FL as a member of OCS Class 03-03, which I now understand isn't held there anymore. So, having experienced that fun, do I have to go through ODS before putting the khakis back on?

My mistake probably was resigning my commission before applying to the HSCP program. Can any prior-commissioned service board members chime in here?

Hello,

I am about to go to ODS in October and I have a few questions.

1. How is the weather in Oct/Nov any snow?
2.What are the advantages to having a car there? Or is it a problem. Where do you park?
3. What are some of the places to hang out at when you get liberty. Where do most people go?
4. Are poncho liner authorized? I remember reading how everyone sleeps on top of the sheets.
5. Are battery operated shavers authorized?
6. This is a dumb question but can you wear a wet suit under your swimming trunks? I didn't see any that said you couldn't.
7. Can you wear swim goggles? I am as blind as a bat and have presription goggles. Although I do wear contacts (not recommended while swimming)
As for the abandon ship-you jump off the board and resurface or do you start the swim for 50 yds?
8. Are the exams on the computer or are they written?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

I am about to go to ODS in October and I have a few questions.

2.What are the advantages to having a car there? Or is it a problem. Where do you park?
3. What are some of the places to hang out at when you get liberty. Where do most people go?
4. Are poncho liner authorized? I remember reading how everyone sleeps on top of the sheets.
5. Are battery operated shavers authorized?
6. This is a dumb question but can you wear wet under your swimming trunks? I didn't see any that said you couldn't.
7. Can you wear swim goggles? I am as blind as a bat and have presription goggles. Although I do wear contacts (not recommended while swimming)
As for the abandon ship-you jump off the board and resurface or do you start the swim for 50 yds?
8. Are the exams on the computer or are they written?

Thanks

I can only answer some of these:

2. There are plenty of places to park. Can't really see a downside to bringing a car, plus you're company-mates will love you when they didn't and they want to go off base with you
3. I can't think of any names right now, but you'll get advice when you're there. I do recommend going to Boston if you get the chance, especially if you've never been. We went and saw the Constitution (the ship not the document) and walked the freedom trail.
4. Don't get caught sleeping on top of the blankets - you're technically not allowed, but since they don't generally walk into your room without notice (especially if your chief is of a different gender), its not difficult to get away with.
7. I don't remember anyone wearing goggles, but no one in my company was that "blind" without glasses. I'd bring what you have and ask them when you get there. You can surface first - many people do a backstroke, so obviously they'd surface first.
8. Computer

Thanks for answering

Some more answers.

Google says cold/yes

1st liberty: the liberty center on base and the officer's club, since you can't leave the base. 2nd liberty: out in town in your uniform. 3rd liberty: somewhere within driving distance of the base. In the summer we did the beach and boston. It will be winter so I'm guessing you'll want to head south (DC?). The last liberty is right before graduation so basically you'll want to stick around town.

6. This is a dumb question but can you wear a wet suit under your swimming trunks? I didn't see any that said you couldn't.
Your 'swim trunks', if you're a dude, are actually PT shorts. No wet suits, but in any event it's a heated indoor pool so why would you need one?

In terms of #5, electric razors are technically not allowed. But when I went through this summer (class 10080), several guys brought theirs and used without abandon. I would play it safe and plan on a manual razor.

The combat pool has a very low chlorine count, so you don't really need goggles. The lead instructor there (a civilian) swims in the pool all day with her prescription glasses on. They will go over everything in the safety briefing, and you can ask about contacts and glasses (clearly, the abandon ship drill and first class swim test jumps would not be good for glasses).

How are section and/or class leaders determined/chosen?

If you don't volunteer, you might be volun-told. They try to get everybody into some sort of role and they may switch out a couple times.

Are females allowed to wear the unitard style bathing suit?