Navy ODS Tips and Insights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does it take to become a class officer?

Members don't see this ad.

What does it take to become a class officer?

You put your name on a piece of paper.

If there's more names than what's needed for the category then, in my case, our senior chief picked who got it, but I don't know if that's how everyone else handled that.

You put your name on a piece of paper.

If there's more names than what's needed for the category then, in my case, our senior chief picked who got it, but I don't know if that's how everyone else handled that.

Ours made us all give a short speech on why we should get the position. It caught the first few people off guard since about half of us only volunteered because there were vacancies and we thought it was a good idea to not have anyone in our company be "voluntold" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I still remember more than a decade ago, two prior chief PAs showing up in flip-flops, shorts and hawaiian shirts. Despite their best efforts, both passed OIS.

Shirt with a collar, slacks, socks, shoes.

Classic! As a former Chief and current PA student the flip-flops with shorts sounds like my everyday attire in San Diego, why not Newport.

It should be interesting to see what they do with us - about 18 or so prior enlisted going to ODS (most of us are/were Chiefs with a few SEALS thrown in for good measure). When they start to yell, we might just tell them to chill out. I know for myself that I'll just start laughing, even at the Gunny (I have my FMF pin). Good times. Should be a lot of fun!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this website, I've read through this entire thread and it has been most informative. I am coming in to ODS on Jan 29 as an O-3, I will be a pharmacist in the Navy. Are there any others out there? I would love to hear anything you might have heard in terms of actually working when you go to your duty station.

Any recent ODS grads care to clear up a pay question for me? My recruiter told me that I won't get paid until after ODS while a friend who went through 2 years ago said she got paid after a few weeks. So, which is it? Thanks.

Any recent ODS grads care to clear up a pay question for me? My recruiter told me that I won't get paid until after ODS while a friend who went through 2 years ago said she got paid after a few weeks. So, which is it? Thanks.

Not a recent grad but...pay can take time. You shouldn't count on seeing any cash right away.

Both. I went to ODS about a year and a half ago. I remember getting my first paycheck a little over half way through. However, with several other people they messed up a few times and they didn't get paid until after ODS was over. Mostly they seemed to mess up with people who were supposed to get O1/E pay, but they also incorrectly paid people with dependents a salary for those without, and paid one person without dependents the salary for those with.

I will be going to ODS next month and wanted to know if I have to shave my hair. Will they determine on an individual basis who will need one, or will everyone get a shaved like it was when i went to enlisted boot camp in Great Lakes, IL few years back?

I will be going to ODS next month and wanted to know if I have to shave my hair. Will they determine on an individual basis who will need one, or will everyone get a shaved like it was when i went to enlisted boot camp in Great Lakes, IL few years back?

If it's within regs, you're good.

Hello one and all. As the name implies, I am a Navy Dad. My son will be going to ODS this June. I have read through all 5 pages of this forum and still have a couple of questions to ask. What airport did you use to fly in from? I assume Boston Logan but want to make sure. My wife and I want to fly in from California and plan to attend the party the night before graduation, is this a formal dress event? Did you guys get to plan your own travel arrangements to your first duty station or did some staff person handle it? My son is headed to Japan for his first duty station, anybody have an idea how much travel time he might be allowed? Will he have time to come home to pack up before heading to Japan? My favorite part of boot camp in the Air Force back in '72' was live weapons fire, do you get to shoot any guns at ODS? Lastly, thank you all for your service to our country. I hope you all enjoy this time of your life, you will look back on it fondly. :thumbup:

Hello one and all. As the name implies, I am a Navy Dad. My son will be going to ODS this June. I have read through all 5 pages of this forum and still have a couple of questions to ask. What airport did you use to fly in from? I assume Boston Logan but want to make sure. My wife and I want to fly in from California and plan to attend the party the night before graduation, is this a formal dress event? Did you guys get to plan your own travel arrangements to your first duty station or did some staff person handle it? My son is headed to Japan for his first duty station, anybody have an idea how much travel time he might be allowed? Will he have time to come home to pack up before heading to Japan? My favorite part of boot camp in the Air Force back in '72' was live weapons fire, do you get to shoot any guns at ODS? Lastly, thank you all for your service to our country. I hope you all enjoy this time of your life, you will look back on it fondly. :thumbup:

I attended ODS this summer, but then went back to school, so can't speak from my own experience. However, numerous people from my company had to go straight from ODS to their duty station. Some were already packed, some had to get POAs so someone else could be there with the movers while they were at ODS.
I flew into Providence. It was pretty close, and there's a shuttle that can take you to the base ($20-25).
The night before graduation: summer whites for the officers, shirt and tie for the men, and something equivalent for the women. Hope that helps.

Flying into Logan would be cheaper, but Navy usually flies its personnel into Providence. PVD is about 45 minutes from Newport.

He should arrange for his household goods to be packed and shipped prior to ODS. Travel can be arranged for a brief stop home to pick up the rest of his stuff. (usually)

I have heard some classes get to do a familiarization fire with the 9mm, but I did not touch a weapon in my class (albeit 20 years ago.)

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, an OIS class in 2006 was the last one to fire the M9 as part of the curriculum.

Thank you all for the info, this will help me plan our trip. Good thing to know the event Thursday night before graduation will be a formal event. Now I will pack a suit and tie. :D Looking forward to it. :soexcited:

I am applying for a job with the Navy and know I need to attend ODS. My biggest concern is the bathrooms. Does anyone know if you get normal toilet stalls, or have they ripped the doors off so you have no privacy? Also, I heard the first few days they wake you up early. Can you please let me know what time they wake you up, and how long they do this.

Thanks

I am applying for a job with the Navy and know I need to attend ODS. My biggest concern is the bathrooms. Does anyone know if you get normal toilet stalls, or have they ripped the doors off so you have no privacy? Also, I heard the first few days they wake you up early. Can you please let me know what time they wake you up, and how long they do this.

Thanks

It's not so bad - you have privacy in the stalls, and the Chiefs never come in the bathrooms, though they may yell at you from outside. The shower stalls aren't great (vinyl curtains) and expect a lot of indecency.

There's more information on daily practices if you skim this thread. You will wake up early, and go to bed early, pretty much the entire time. It's worst in the first week.

Thanks. I just have one more question. Can you do girlie push-ups or do you have to do regular ones for the fitness test?

Thanks. I just have one more question. Can you do girlie push-ups or do you have to do regular ones for the fitness test?

They will do a drug test, and for that you will have to pee with someone watching you - but other than that yes there are doors on the stalls.

Yes, regular pushups - women do less than men (to pass) but we do the same pushup.

I was also wondering if anyone has gone thru a fligt physical. Do they give you a fitness test (running, push ups, etc) or is it more like a doctors visit?

Thanks

I was also wondering if anyone has gone thru a fligt physical. Do they give you a fitness test (running, push ups, etc) or is it more like a doctors visit?

Thanks

No fitness test, just a visit to the flight surgeon (doctor) with all the poking and prodding associated with such a visit. You will do a vision screen to include color vision and depth perception, hearing screen, ecg, blood work.

And you will sit on the group W bench and fill out forms and play with pencils.

First, sent recruiter resume a week ago haven't heard back yet - How long does it take for him to receive approval frm Headquarters to continue with my recruitment? Second, what's average GPA for ODS acceptance? I'm 33 with 3.3 GPA frm a major university & 12 yrs experience owning my own insurance agency. I'm finishing a BA in Health Policy in April 2012 how detailed and long is the process of getting accepted in ODS. If accepted can I start immediately after graduation? Third, if accepted what's the chances of getting stationed at one of the three locations listed on your dream sheet? Last question, if I don't like this recruiter can you seek another?

First, sent recruiter resume a week ago haven't heard back yet - How long does it take for him to receive approval frm Headquarters to continue with my recruitment? Second, what's average GPA for ODS acceptance? I'm 33 with 3.3 GPA frm a major university & 12 yrs experience owning my own insurance agency. I'm finishing a BA in Health Policy in April 2012 how detailed and long is the process of getting accepted in ODS. If accepted can I start immediately after graduation? Third, if accepted what's the chances of getting stationed at one of the three locations listed on your dream sheet? Last question, if I don't like this recruiter can you seek another?

I am not sure I can answer your questions with 100% accuracy, but I can tell you how it went for my son. He will graduate from Optometry school in May and will be attending ODS this summer. My son had to go through the physical and interviews first before he was accepted. I think it took a couple of months. Yes, you can request a different recruiter. Just ask for his/her supervisor, explain your problem and ask for a different recruiter. I don't know about the GPA, my son had to keep a 3.5 to keep his Navy scholarship. My son and 13 others were given a list of 14 locations around the world to choose from. Some got where they wanted and some didn't. Ultimately, there is no guarantee, the Navy will put you where the Navy needs you. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

In what capacity are you looking to join the Navy. ODS happens long after you have been accepted for the program which you have applied.

In what capacity are you looking to join the Navy. ODS happens long after you have been accepted for the program which you have applied.

I was told if accepted I would be going straight into ODS after my graduation in May. This is Medical Services Corp. Hospital Administrative area. Is this not correct?

I am not sure I can answer your questions with 100% accuracy, but I can tell you how it went for my son. He will graduate from Optometry school in May and will be attending ODS this summer. My son had to go through the physical and interviews first before he was accepted. I think it took a couple of months. Yes, you can request a different recruiter. Just ask for his/her supervisor, explain your problem and ask for a different recruiter. I don't know about the GPA, my son had to keep a 3.5 to keep his Navy scholarship. My son and 13 others were given a list of 14 locations around the world to choose from. Some got where they wanted and some didn't. Ultimately, there is no guarantee, the Navy will put you where the Navy needs you. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Thank you, could you expand on what type of interviews they were and just curious in your opinion what are the top stations that were sought after most? I personally (if all goes well) would like to go to Portsmouth, VA.

I was told if accepted I would be going straight into ODS after my graduation in May. This is Medical Services Corp. Hospital Administrative area. Is this not correct?

The best answer I can give you is maybe. There are a number of factors:

1) Are you actually ready to be comissioned? Has the scroll come back? Have you been found physically quallified? This is over and above the professional recommendation. If all of that is set and comissioning documents are ready for your signature that is a good first step.

2) Is there a billet to send you to upon completion of ODS? Probably is, there are always needs for junior HCA scutpuppies.

3) Is there funding to actually move you? This could be a sticky wickett. Although Congress has passed a long term continuing resolution (could not get a Constitutionally required budget out of them this year), funding for moves has been seriously curtailed. With all of the other service members already in receipt of orders, is there still money in the pot to pay for you to move and enter active service?

4) And last, but certainly not least, is there a spot in the class for you? There are roughly 180 slots per class at ODS and there are a LOT of groups fighting for them. Medical Corps tends to take the lion's share of slots during the summer. With the inability of many HPSP (medical, dental and MSC) to attend ODS prior to graduation, they have the highest priority for ODS spots. Most have orders to training which starts 1 July and delay in reporting for that training is deleterious to the Navy. I would find it hard to believe that all of the slots for the May, June and July classes have not been filled. Might they have held one for an as yet undesignated new accession? Maybe, but it would seem more likely you will get pushed into the Aug or Sep class. (three months would be considered straight in by the Navy) This is not all bad. You would have the opportunity to have one last real summer vacation.

Thank you NavyFP for your insight....but forgive me for asking, "What in the heck is a scutpuppy?" lol

Thank you, could you expand on what type of interviews they were and just curious in your opinion what are the top stations that were sought after most? I personally (if all goes well) would like to go to Portsmouth, VA.
The Navy wants to make sure their officers are of high caliber, the best of the best. My son had to interview with Officer Recruitment, plus they did back ground checks before he was accepted. Of the stations that were available for my son to choose from, San Diego was wanted by 9 of the 14 applicants. But it all depends on what the Navy has open at the time.

How are you expected to pay for uniforms you are required to buy? I will have a difficult time coming up with $2000 for uniforms and not intersted in the STAR card.

How are you expected to pay for uniforms you are required to buy? I will have a difficult time coming up with $2000 for uniforms and not intersted in the STAR card.

Either money you have put away or the STAR card. I'd say close to 95% of the people in my company went the STAR card route.

Either money you have put away or the STAR card. I'd say close to 95% of the people in my company went the STAR card route.

Are there any other payment plans they offer if you cannot qualify for a STAR card?

Is this STAR card like a credit card? Would a regular credit card work as well?

The Navy wants to make sure their officers are of high caliber, the best of the best. My son had to interview with Officer Recruitment, plus they did back ground checks before he was accepted. Of the stations that were available for my son to choose from, San Diego was wanted by 9 of the 14 applicants. But it all depends on what the Navy has open at the time.

how.long.are.they
stationed.there?

I know the Navy ODS website has a list of uniforms that an officer will require. I will be attending ODS in the winter. What are the MINIMUM uniform reqirements someone needs to purchase (ie- I'm pretty sure I will not need the summer whites)

I know the Navy ODS website has a list of uniforms that an officer will require. I will be attending ODS in the winter. What are the MINIMUM uniform reqirements someone needs to purchase (ie- I'm pretty sure I will not need the summer whites)

They will tell you at ODS, but it was basically that list. I went in the summer and still had to buy PT sweats.

You'll buy what they tell you to buy. I went in winter and still had to buy dress whites/summer whites. And add NWUs to the list because you'll wear them the last week, we did at least. You won't pay for uniforms until the last week. If you don't use the STAR card, you can pay using debit/credit/cash. Only stipulation is that you pay down to $700 or less by the time you leave.

Last edited:
You'll buy what they tell you to buy. I went in winter and still had to buy dress whites/summer whites. And add NWUs to the list because you'll wear them the last week, we did at least. You won't pay for uniforms until the last week. If you don't use the STAR card, you can pay using debit/credit/cash. Only stipulation is that you pay down to $700 or less by the time you leave.

Outstanding information. This helps reduce some anxiety about having to save money for uniforms BEFORE ODS.

So the STAR card is like a credit card? Do you have to apply for it or what?

The STAR card is a credit card. You can also use it to purchase items at the Navy Exchange (NEX). You'll receive 10% off your first purchase which includes paying for your uniforms saving you roughly $200. Yes, you have to apply for it. The vast majority of my company applied for it. Pretty sure it's close to an automatic approval.

I found the answer about electric razors.

Last edited:
Do you have to pass a running PRT to graduate from ODS?

There seems to be differing answers in this forum so I am hoping a recent ODS grad could clarify.

Some threads seem to indicate you get remedial PT if you don't, but that they still move you on; while other threads seem to indicate you don't graduate until you pass.

I am confident in the push-ups/sit-ups/swim for my age group, but I am still off-pace for making the 1.5 mile run. I have about 5 weeks until ODS, so I am hoping I'll get there....but I am just curious what happens if I don't.

thanks in advance.

Do you have to pass a running PRT to graduate from ODS?

There seems to be differing answers in this forum so I am hoping a recent ODS grad could clarify.

Some threads seem to indicate you get remedial PT if you don't, but that they still move you on; while other threads seem to indicate you don't graduate until you pass.

I am confident in the push-ups/sit-ups/swim for my age group, but I am still off-pace for making the 1.5 mile run. I have about 5 weeks until ODS, so I am hoping I'll get there....but I am just curious what happens if I don't.

thanks in advance.

Dave40, I only know what I have read here as well so I can only speculate until someone who knows for sure chimes in. Since they have so much invested in you, I would think they would let you graduate ODS, but you may have to keep working on it at your next duty station until you pass it. You should have some extra time after classes and training for running once your at ODS too. My son just started ODS this week but prior to his departure, he was out running every day to get his time down. Try to run everyday and do it a little faster each time and you will be ready in 5 weeks. Good luck with it.

You don't have to pass a PRT before graduating. We had people in my company, milking light duty in my opinion, that only PT'd with us once the whole time at ODS. They will send a letter with you to your new command if you don't pass and you don't want this. If you fail the in-PFA on the first Wednesday you'll end up doing remedial PT at night which is time you'll need early on to get things squared away or later to just chill out. It's not hard to pass a Navy PRT.

Hi all-
First I have to say I really appreciate reading all of the questions and answers posted because it has been very helpful. I'm still in the process of getting in so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions as time goes on!

My first question is in regards to my recruiter. My recruiter does not seem to respond in a timely manner (e.g., he asked for my transcripts 3 months ago and hasn't gotten back to me since I sent them after he asked). Is this normal considering that I'm still a few months from being eligible (I'm planning on doing direct accession as a psychologist and before that can happen I need to finish my post-doc and get licensed) or should I try and find another recruiter?

Hi all-
First I have to say I really appreciate reading all of the questions and answers posted because it has been very helpful. I'm still in the process of getting in so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions as time goes on!

My first question is in regards to my recruiter. My recruiter does not seem to respond in a timely manner (e.g., he asked for my transcripts 3 months ago and hasn't gotten back to me since I sent them after he asked). Is this normal considering that I'm still a few months from being eligible (I'm planning on doing direct accession as a psychologist and before that can happen I need to finish my post-doc and get licensed) or should I try and find another recruiter?

I might try to find another recruiter, but there are several factors which may be in play.

1) Your recruiter has met his/her goal for the year in your area. They don't get bonuses for getting more, so enthusiasm to work applicants over goal is not high.

2) The service to which you are applying has filled all of its needed slots. They can only take so many. If they have enough, back burner for you until October when the next fiscal year kicks in.

3) Your recruiter has a large territory and is working other applicants.

4) Your recruiter is just lazy or otherwise non-motivated and does not care to work hard to get your application done.

All are possible, none get you into the military.

I might try to find another recruiter, but there are several factors which may be in play.

1) Your recruiter has met his/her goal for the year in your area. They don't get bonuses for getting more, so enthusiasm to work applicants over goal is not high.

2) The service to which you are applying has filled all of its needed slots. They can only take so many. If they have enough, back burner for you until October when the next fiscal year kicks in.

3) Your recruiter has a large territory and is working other applicants.

4) Your recruiter is just lazy or otherwise non-motivated and does not care to work hard to get your application done.

All are possible, none get you into the military.
That is helpful to know and explains some possible reasons I'm not hearing back. Given that in all likelihood I won't be done with the licensing process until October, what would you recommend I do? Should I try and talk with the recruiter about just holding off on paperwork until then? Also, does the year roll over at the start of October or the end of October?

I'm prior service and am headed to ODS in July. Will I be able to wear my nice pair of corfam dress shoes (the perpetually shiny patent-leather-like ones), or are they going to make me buy the all leather shoes? Something tells me they are going to want me to practice my shoe shining skills, but I thought I would ask in case anyone who's been there knows for sure. Thanks.