Navy ODS Tips and Insights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is helpful to know and explains some possible reasons I'm not hearing back. Given that in all likelihood I won't be done with the licensing process until October, what would you recommend I do? Should I try and talk with the recruiter about just holding off on paperwork until then? Also, does the year roll over at the start of October or the end of October?

Talk with your recruiter and find out the status in your field. If full, tell him to have your package ready to go on 1 Oct (start of the fiscal year). If he won't give you an honest (or timely) response, find a new recruiter.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm prior service and am headed to ODS in July. Will I be able to wear my nice pair of corfam dress shoes (the perpetually shiny patent-leather-like ones), or are they going to make me buy the all leather shoes? Something tells me they are going to want me to practice my shoe shining skills, but I thought I would ask in case anyone who's been there knows for sure. Thanks.

I remember them telling us we couldn't buy the corfam shoes, so I'm thinking they'll make you buy the all leather shoes. However, while we did shine them, it was nothing compared to how my prior-enlisted friends have described having to shine their shoes. They were never inspected for their shinyness, and unless you get them completely scuffed up I don't think anyone will actually care.

Talk with your recruiter and find out the status in your field. If full, tell him to have your package ready to go on 1 Oct (start of the fiscal year). If he won't give you an honest (or timely) response, find a new recruiter.
Thank you for the advice. I'll try talking to him again now that I know what to ask. I appreciate the information!

Members don't see this ad :)
Headed out in July. Any new advice? Biggest question is what type of bag should I bring? I'm a light packer but I realize most of my wardrobe will be coming once I get there. I'd like to get away with just brining my carry on and then expect to come back with another. Thanks.

Just realized I posted in this thread last summer about trying to go then. I was told I would be able to by both people in TN and MA, and then when I applied it didn't happen. Whatever, it was a fun break, opposed to this one where I have about 2 weeks off.

Last edited:
I am going to ODS in July and fly into Providence on the morning of the 16th. If anyone else is going to be getting in then and wants to get a cab, PM me.

I am going to ODS in July and fly into Providence on the morning of the 16th. If anyone else is going to be getting in then and wants to get a cab, PM me.

My son is graduating ODS on the 15th. I believe he and several others caught a bus from the airport to the base when he reported. You will most certainly meet other ODS members there at the airport to ride in with. Good luck and have fun.

Hey everyone,

I just completed ODS a couple days ago and actually had a lot of fun there. I was stressing a bit trying to prepare for it because I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It definitely was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be or it could have been.

If anyone has absolutely any ODS questions please email me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to talk to you about my experience.

Hey everyone,

I just completed ODS a couple days ago and actually had a lot of fun there. I was stressing a bit trying to prepare for it because I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It definitely was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be or it could have been.

If anyone has absolutely any ODS questions please email me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to talk to you about my experience.

Congratulations on completing your ODS program. My son just completed his ODS last week too. He was in Mike company. We attended the reception and graduation and loved seeing all those summer white and dress white uniforms. Good luck.

Hey everyone,

You're from IIT? I graduated from IIT and am starting ODS in about two weeks. Small world.

Hi! I'm starting ODS in about two weeks, and I have a question about contact lenses. The issue was mentioned once earlier in this thread (two years ago), but I've heard conflicting information.

For people that have been to ODS, did you know people that wore contact lenses? Is there any point in the training when contact lenses are forbidden? I've been wearing them daily for the last 17 years and am hoping I don't have to wear glasses.

Thanks!

The running and situps are no problem for me, but I'm bad at pushups. (I've always had skinny arms.) I can get enough pushups to land me in the "Satisfactory" range of the PRT, but I'm having a real hard time getting to "Good Low." Is getting a "Satisfactory" score enough to pass the test, or do you need to get at least in the "Good Low" range to pass? Thanks!

Hi! I'm starting ODS in about two weeks, and I have a question about contact lenses. The issue was mentioned once earlier in this thread (two years ago), but I've heard conflicting information.

For people that have been to ODS, did you know people that wore contact lenses? Is there any point in the training when contact lenses are forbidden? I've been wearing them daily for the last 17 years and am hoping I don't have to wear glasses.

Thanks!

My son the Optometrist just graduated from ODS two weeks ago. He said you can do any of the training with contacts but he suggested you bring glasses for backup. If you can swim with contacts, it shouldn't be a problem. The first two weeks of training are the hardest, but then it isn't bad. As far as pushups go, don't sweet it, they give you plenty of time to beef up. Before you go, try to do as many pushups as you can and every day add one more. That is what I did when I was in boot camp and it worked for me. Good luck and have fun at ODS.

Last edited:
My son the Optometrist just graduated from ODS two weeks ago. He said you can do any of the training with contacts but he suggested you bring glasses for backup. If you can swim with contacts, it shouldn't be a problem. The first two weeks of training are the hardest, but then it isn't bad. As far as pushups go, don't sweet it, they give you plenty of time to beef up. Before you go, try to do as many pushups as you can and every day add one more. That is what I did when I was in boot camp and it worked for me. Good luck and have fun at ODS.

Thanks so much for the information! Thank goodness for the internet!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about recruitment...I'm wondering if anyone has experience going into the program through direct accession after being done with school. I'm hoping to start the process soon after I get licensed within the next couple of months and was hoping for some feedback about how long I can expect to wait from the time I start the paperwork process to the time I would actually go to ODS. Any experiences you are willing to share would be appreciated!

I have a question about recruitment...I'm wondering if anyone has experience going into the program through direct accession after being done with school. I'm hoping to start the process soon after I get licensed within the next couple of months and was hoping for some feedback about how long I can expect to wait from the time I start the paperwork process to the time I would actually go to ODS. Any experiences you are willing to share would be appreciated!

From start to finish, direct accession can take 6-9 months. I have seen it as short as 4 months, but that was very unusual.

Is there anything I can do to make the process go faster?

Is there anything I can do to make the process go faster?

If you had all of your paperwork ready to go (to include transcripts, letters of recommendation, prior employer evaluations), got your physical and had nothing that needed a waiver, and had a motivated recruiter it could be done in as little as 3 months. With all that, the limiting step would be the scroll which allows you to be commissioned. That is routed up a fairly long chain and must be signed by the Secretary of Defense. They promise 90 days, but I have seen it take as long as 5-6 months.

I graduated from ODS in August 2011 here are some tips. don't believe all the rumors about wake ups, etc. They change the plan from class to class so you just NEVER know what they have up their sleeve. Take the 5 weeks in Newport to get to know some amazing fellow staff corps officers and some of the finer points of being a naval officer.
1. Don’t buy any of the cleaning supplies on the list before you leave home. Almost everything is for sale at the NEX or commissary and will be cheaper and tax free.
2. Don’t buy a swiffer, there are LOADS here, just buy wet and dry cleaning pads here at the commissary
3. Don’t buy or bring an iron or board, there are loads here.
4. There are lots of fans in the supply closet here too and they are for sale in the NEX if you check in late and they are already gone.
5. When we came, there were also plenty of laundry detergent bottles so wait until you check in to see if you need to hit up the Nex to get some. Very few people in our company needed to as there were over 50 bottles of detergent here. Likewise, all the machines are high efficiency so you can get HE products at the commissary for CHEAP
6. Buy plain black and white dress socks if you can get them for cheap so you don’t need to buy them at the uniform store
7. When you go got the uniform store to get PT gear, get an extra set of pt clothes. Otherwise you will be doing laundry ALL the time. Put your name in them too!
8. Bring a good set of arch supports for your shoes. Go somewhere where they can fit you (like a running store) because the cheesy gel ones won’t cut it.
9. Don’t worry about the stamps and letters. You will get email after a week or so if your class doesn’t totally mess up
10. When you get a ruler, get a clear one or one of the fancy ones you can slide to the length (like a caliper or whatever). You will need to measure ¼, ½, and 6 inches
11. The baby wipes are a huge help for busy days, as is a good deodorant like mitchem (if you are here in the summer)
12. Don’t bring any hangers, there were plenty in the supply closet and all your uniforms come back to you on hangers from the uniform store anyway
13. Learn BEFORE you arrive: the sailor’s creed, the articles of the code of conduct by number, the general orders of a sentry. Some companies needed to also know anchors away and they marine corps song
14. Be prepared with tums, fiber powder (almost half my company admitted to being constipated for the first week), ibuprofen or your NSAID of choice, Benadryl or ear plugs for the first night (the seagulls are out of this world!), moleskin especially if you have new running shoes, and foot/shoe deodorizer or moisture absorbing powder.
15. I bought compression shorts (like under armor) and they help with PT and with wearing the scratchy wool/poly uniforms. I would totally suggest them, especially for guys to help “secure” yourself during PT and in the sweatier times of July and August
16. Tide pens are great to have because they delay laundry for a few days and work very well on the working khaki uniforms

Reactions: 1 user
I am heading off to ODS in a few months and had some questions. For the fitness exam, do you do the old-school situps (hands on chest and up until you touch your kness)? What do you wear to sleep in? Finally, can somebody please post the articles of "Codes of Conduct" and the rank and recognition chart you need to memorize.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

I am heading off to ODS in a few months and had some questions. For the fitness exam, do you do the old-school situps (hands on chest and up until you touch your kness)? What do you wear to sleep in? Finally, can somebody please post the articles of "Codes of Conduct" and the rank and recognition chart you need to memorize.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Situps are until elbows touch the knees. You can sleep in whatever you want. These links will answer most questions about ODS and the PRT.

http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods_academics.asp
http://www.navy-prt.com/

Situps are until elbows touch the knees. You can sleep in whatever you want. These links will answer most questions about ODS and the PRT.

http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods_academics.asp
http://www.navy-prt.com/

One minor correction & an addition - you can sleep in whatever you want, as long as it's not your uniform, and you're not allowed to sleep on top of your sheets to save time in the morning (though it's sort of hard to be caught in this regard).

Does anyone know where I can find the current version of Anchors Aweigh? Also, do we need to know this before we get to ODS?

thanks

Apologies of this has already been addressed, but I'm expecting to receive my orders for ODS for either the March or April class. I'm still trying to decide on flying versus driving. Can anyone comment on the parking, particularly during the spring courses and whether there is a clear advantage or otherwise to having your car?
Thanks

Apologies of this has already been addressed, but I'm expecting to receive my orders for ODS for either the March or April class. I'm still trying to decide on flying versus driving. Can anyone comment on the parking, particularly during the spring courses and whether there is a clear advantage or otherwise to having your car?
Thanks

If you have your car, you won't really get to use it for the first couple of weeks, but once you get off base liberty it is nice to have a way to get into Newport or Boston. Parking didn't seem to be an issue during the summer, but it can be a bit of a walk from the lot to King Hall, depending on where you have to park. I didn't take a car and it wasn't an issue. Just make friends with someone who has a car if you don't take yours.

Thanks

if you bring your car you will be very popular. i had to fly but wish i'd have had my car because not many people in our company had one and once you are allowed to, getting out to newport is fun. parking was not a problem during the summer and that was the bigger ODS classes so you should be good. The taxi service is not very good, besides the shuttle they have to the airport.

hey everyone! this thread has been very helpful. I just had a few questions about PT and PTS during the summer. I am headed to go to ODS in the summer, and my only concern is that i have very sensitive skin and it burns very easily. Is PT done in the scorching sun? and can you wear long sleeves and long pants during PT? thank you!

hey everyone! this thread has been very helpful. I just had a few questions about PT and PTS during the summer. I am headed to go to ODS in the summer, and my only concern is that i have very sensitive skin and it burns very easily. Is PT done in the scorching sun? and can you wear long sleeves and long pants during PT? thank you!

PT is done at 0500-0600 so you won't have to worry about the sun for PT. You will be outside in the direct sun at times, especially during graduation practice, so make sure you take sunscreen.

Everyone has to wear the same thing to PT, so you won't be able to wear sweatpants/sweatshirt unless the whole company decides to wear it together.

Like mdmed said, start lathering the sunblock on every day for the last 7-10 days where they have you outside in the sun drilling on an unshaded field

I'm heading to ODS this summer and have an odd question for those that have graduated recently. Would it be possible to continue training for a triathlon through the 5 weeks there? Is there time in the evening to hit the gym or the pool? And does the gym have a stationary bike or rowing machine? Thank you in advance.

I am in final stages of application process and my packet going to Medical Service Corps professional board on 20 April. I am wondering once I am commissioned, how quickly I would be able to start ODS? Is it tough to get a slot in a class to start right away, i.e. getting commissioned in May, and starting ODS in June? Just some background, I am a direct accession Clinical Social Worker, not a scholarship applicant, I already have my independent license and have been working in the field for a number of years. I am being awarded a signing bonus and loan repayment program however which is nice. Any info helpful!

I'm heading to ODS this summer and have an odd question for those that have graduated recently. Would it be possible to continue training for a triathlon through the 5 weeks there? Is there time in the evening to hit the gym or the pool? And does the gym have a stationary bike or rowing machine? Thank you in advance.

you would think that they would love to have someone training, but i found it very difficult to find extra time to run/swim. you are not allowed until your first pft and swim test, then they don't open the pool much. i did spend a lot of time at the gym, just to get out of the hall, but even that i think we weren't allowed to go to until the second week. you will have some time it just is more of a pain then you would think it should be

Going to ODS in july after I complete residency. My issue is that the annual general surgery qualifying exam is a few days before ODS finishes. I've received permission to take the exam on that day by the CO, but I'm wondering how much time I will have while I'm there to study. Anyone who could weight in on this would be appreciated.

Enjoying an outstanding 5th week here at ODS. A question going back to prt stuff though... I failed my curlups all 3 times (improved each time, just not enough). Passed swim, bca and everything else in the good-excellent range. The class officer sat down with me and hinted that I could lose my scholarship over this (if it's relevant, I'm HPSP with 3 years left of med school). What's the worst-case scenario here? I haven't found any instruction that specifically says that is out of the question... Although I haven't gotten any administrative warnings yet, or been counseled to join a FEP (Fitness Enhancement Program?). Nor have I ever heard of it happening before.

Secondly, if they let me graduate ODS with a failed prt, does anyone know how to go about redoing it while back in school on IRR? In that case I'd like to pass before applying for residency.

EDIT: Nvm. Scare tactics I suppose... For anyone still wondering, ODS prt (as of now anyway) does not get entered into anybody's record, it's just a gauge for us to prepare ourselves for the active duty ones that do go onto our records.

Last edited:
Has anyone gone to ODS recently. Within the last 2 months...

you would think that they would love to have someone training, but i found it very difficult to find extra time to run/swim. you are not allowed until your first pft and swim test, then they don't open the pool much. i did spend a lot of time at the gym, just to get out of the hall, but even that i think we weren't allowed to go to until the second week. you will have some time it just is more of a pain then you would think it should be

When I was there, there was a girl who got up at 0400 to get her run in early. They allowed her to train.

It's that time of year again. Bumped for the newly commissioned

That's me!

Here's a questions... From reading this thread it appears that you don't always get paid while at ODS. My recruiter even told me I likely wouldn't be paid till school starts, since I am newly commissioned. Honestly, I don't really care that I will have no money in the bank for 5 weeks, but my student loans do care.

I know that deployed sailors can get deferment for private student loans, but can you request deferment for ODS since it's just considered Reserve duty AT?

That's me!

Here's a questions... From reading this thread it appears that you don't always get paid while at ODS. My recruiter even told me I likely wouldn't be paid till school starts, since I am newly commissioned. Honestly, I don't really care that I will have no money in the bank for 5 weeks, but my student loans do care.

I know that deployed sailors can get deferment for private student loans, but can you request deferment for ODS since it's just considered Reserve duty AT?

You will get paid. May take a week or two or three, but you will get paid. If you don't see your pay on the 1st or the 15th, go to PSD and they will get it squared away.

Do the hints and tips at the start of this post still hold true? anything new?

I'm attending this summer.

I start June 16 or July 28?
I'll probably be the oldest one there. 51 y/o dentist with prior service in Air Force.
Should be interesting.

Yes, I spent $2,400 on uniforms at ODS. And only some of them fit correctly. So I've spent quite a bit more buying new uniform items and the optional items.

Yes, I spent $2,400 on uniforms at ODS. And only some of them fit correctly. So I've spent quite a bit more buying new uniform items and the optional items.

Are you buying lots of uniforms and brass and stuff, or are they just really expensive? Any tips on getting uniforms that fit the first time around?

I just bought the set that they require you to purchase when you are there. The Navy has a lot of uniforms and that is part of it.
I think females have a harder time finding uniforms that fit because most of us do not wear clothes in the style of the uniforms (ie high waist pants). I think the male members of my class didn't have too much trouble getting uniforms that fit. I would just be on alert on your uniform day that if something doesn't appear to fit well in the shop, it won't magically fit well when you have it home. Try to convince the ladies who hem your pants to give you a little extra length, because they tend to make everyone's pants high waters. Also make sure you keep good records of what you get the first day and what you have to order. I ended up with two sets of dress white pants in different sizes by the time I got home, which is a pretty useless uniform item to have excess of.

Hey guys. Headed to ODS this summer and was curious what happens after ODS? Do you have to report directly to your duty station or can you head home first to pick up your car, belongings, etc.?