Navy ODS Tips and Insights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you went to ODS, do you remember seeing anyone wearing knee braces? I wear those neoprene knee sleeves when I run and now i'm just used to it. I wonder if they'll have a problem with me wearing those.... Do you think that wearing these would pose an issue?
I wouldn't think so if it's for a medical condition. You might have to go to the SMART clinic so they know about it, but I think it should be fine. If it's for comfort, I would say you probably can't wear them.

Members don't see this ad.

No problem! When are you going? I went last year in July, and it was super hot. King hall has no A/C, so everyone had to have a fan. Make sure you get one early from the storage closet, or you may have to spend some money at the NEX on one.
I report this weekend. I hear it can still be chilly up there this time of year... I brought a sleeping bag and a fan so I can go either way! I am curious to see how these first two weeks will go, and to see how big the class is since July seems to be when most people go.

Just thought of another question, do they still make you switch rooms a week or so into ODS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought of another question, do they still make you switch rooms a week or so into ODS?
Yeah they did for us. It was a few days into it. Some people didn't switch b/c of how it worked out. We ended up being divided by what column we were in at the time. Don't get too attached to your first roommate. ;)

I report this weekend. I hear it can still be chilly up there this time of year... I brought a sleeping bag and a fan so I can go either way! I am curious to see how these first two weeks will go, and to see how big the class is since July seems to be when most people go.
Our class was huge. We had 180 or so I think. There were 90 in my company. It may it pretty hard to get places and get things done. Smaller classes would be easier, I think.

When you went to ODS, do you remember seeing anyone wearing knee braces? I wear those neoprene knee sleeves when I run and now i'm just used to it. I wonder if they'll have a problem with me wearing those.... Do you think that wearing these would pose an issue?
I also sometimes wrap my knee to prevent knee pain from developing. Hopefully this won't be an issue. But you might want to try doing the first 2/3 of your run with the knee brace, then taking it off. Then slowly transition off it.

I had a few questions.
1) Can we pack away a few snacks, like protein bars or something?
2) Is our locker "uninspectable"? As in, we can keep whatever we want in there and no-one is going to ask us to open it? Of course I don't mean drugs or anything, but perhaps food?
3) Is PT split up into ability groups? Or is it just start real slow and progress from there.
4) Do we get adequate warm up/cool down time after PT? I'm old and I start getting injured if I don't.
5) Do we get "aired out" in the mornings, or is it more like waking up and getting ready on our own for class? If you're not familiar with the term, an air out is where you pretty much get your door kicked in by a yelling DI/chief and told to get on line.
6) Did anyone set up their TSP account while at ODS? I know our stipend is ineligible for TSP, but I believe anything we earn is eligible, but we have to have it set up before we get paid I think.
7) Do we get to have fun? Like field days, obstacle courses, weapons qual? Or is it all serious business?
8) Do we really need to have the knowledge packet, Anchors Aweigh, and the Marine Hymn down pat before arrival?

I'll be at the June 15th class.

Thanks

I also sometimes wrap my knee to prevent knee pain from developing. Hopefully this won't be an issue. But you might want to try doing the first 2/3 of your run with the knee brace, then taking it off. Then slowly transition off it.

I had a few questions.
1) Can we pack away a few snacks, like protein bars or something? If you keep it in your locker, then yes. Technically, you're not supposed to have food, but as long as the locker is locked, then they cannot open it and see. I kept food in there.
2) Is our locker "uninspectable"? As in, we can keep whatever we want in there and no-one is going to ask us to open it? Of course I don't mean drugs or anything, but perhaps food? As long as the lock is locked. I recommend a combo lock that has 3 or 4 turn dials, not the traditional type on school lockers. That way you can open it quickly to get something out if you forget. Time is of the essence sometimes, and that extra 20 seconds to open your locker will kill you.
3) Is PT split up into ability groups? Or is it just start real slow and progress from there. We weren't split up. There were some group days and some individual days. There are some people that were really out of shape, but everyone passed.
4) Do we get adequate warm up/cool down time after PT? I'm old and I start getting injured if I don't. Yes, warm up/cool down was stressed to the point of ridiculousness. I'm talking like 20 minutes for each, 10 if your were lucky.
5) Do we get "aired out" in the mornings, or is it more like waking up and getting ready on our own for class? If you're not familiar with the term, an air out is where you pretty much get your door kicked in by a yelling DI/chief and told to get on line. They never kicked open the door. The first official morning that we started, they yelled in the hall, but after that, it's just you get up and get ready on your own. Granted it's at 0430, and you're expected to be on the line at 0445.
6) Did anyone set up their TSP account while at ODS? I know our stipend is ineligible for TSP, but I believe anything we earn is eligible, but we have to have it set up before we get paid I think. I didn't do this, but I'm guessing you can. It would have to be done in the last week, as you wouldn't have time otherwise. I wished I had looked into it. Low ER's and compound interest are a great thing. :)
7) Do we get to have fun? Like field days, obstacle courses, weapons qual? Or is it all serious business? The wet trainer (sinking ship simulator) was pretty much the only fun thing. No obstacle courses. They can't have future doctors and dentists braking theirs hands when the investment is over 200k. No weapons qual. I think you can do this on your own time during school. I know of a few people that did this. You just phone a nearby military base and set it up. Honestly, the vast majority of things we did was classroom powerpoint lectures. It was fairly boring and you have to really fight to stay awake.
8) Do we really need to have the knowledge packet, Anchors Aweigh, and the Marine Hymn down pat before arrival? No, 90% didn't. I did, but that was b/c I didn't know what to expect. They issue small booklets, and there's so much downtime in hallways and what not that everyone pulls out the book and is reading it. You're not expected to have stuff memorized until the 2nd or 3rd week. Pray that you don't get a senior chief inspect you. Officers are much more forgiving.

I'll be at the June 15th class.

Thanks
Cheers!

I will graduate residency next month, and go to ODS in July. Before ODS, I am moving to my active duty location. So I will need to travel to ODS from my active duty location. The problem is, I can't get my local recruting district to book a flight from my active duty station to ODS. They say they need my orders to show my active duty location as my home of record, which the detailer won't do. The local recruiting distract says book and pay for my flight myself, then submit for reimbursement. However, the medical ascessions office says don't do this/I won't get reimbursed. Has anyone else faced this, or have any advice?

I was told to let my local recruiting district book a flight from my current (residency) location, then change the flight through some travel office, which I'm not sure how to do and heard will cost me a lot of money. So now I am looking at possibly driving to ODS, which is 750 miles/12 hour drive. Does anyone know whether I can actually get reimbursed for driving myself or for booking a flight myself? If so, do you apply for this reimbursement while at ODS? Thanks for any replies.

Any tips on whether or not I need to get my ID card prior to going to ODS? I have heard different things depending on the source.

Hello. I am going to the June 14-July 18 session. I've has a couple of questions.
Are we allowed to watch TV at any time? Are there TVs there at all? I was hoping not to miss out too much on the World Cup :)

How strict are they about the weight? I'm 5'10 and 193 pounds, so I'm a little overweight by their chart. I can run a 5K under 24 min, I've done triathlons and a few 15Ks before and I'm at the gym 5 days a week usually, so I was hoping I wouldn't get sent home just for a couple of pounds over weight.

Thank you!

Has anyone gotten orders for June ODS yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any tips on whether or not I need to get my ID card prior to going to ODS? I have heard different things depending on the source.
No need to get your ID card before going to ODS. I am here now and they have time built into the schedule for you to go get one.

Anyone aware of the graduation awards given to top-of-class students? What are these based off of?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I am going to the June 14-July 18 session. I've has a couple of questions.
Are we allowed to watch TV at any time? Are there TVs there at all? I was hoping not to miss out too much on the World Cup :)

How strict are they about the weight? I'm 5'10 and 193 pounds, so I'm a little overweight by their chart. I can run a 5K under 24 min, I've done triathlons and a few 15Ks before and I'm at the gym 5 days a week usually, so I was hoping I wouldn't get sent home just for a couple of pounds over weight.

Thank you!
If you're not in the proper weight category, you get measurements. If you're active and work out, you should have no problem. There were a few overweight people in my class and no one got sent home.

There are TVs in the liberty center. You won't be able to go until the 2nd or 3rd weekend though. You won't be able to go during the week.

Anyone aware of the graduation awards given to top-of-class students? What are these based off of?
There's a few awards. They're based on your inspections, I think. Stuff like having a perfect bunk, nothing wrong with your uniform, and knowing all of your gouge book.

Don't worry. If you're fit you'll pass the tape test, which is what they use to tell the difference between the overweight person who's carrying a spare tire and the "overweight" person with gigantic biceps.

You're probably outta luck on the World Cup though.

This might be a stupid question, but for ODS are females required to have a certain hair cut? If so, should I cut my hair before I leave?

Same question for the guys, should we have a high & tight when we show up, or just be within regs and get a haircut as needed later?

Do we need to bring an extra suitcase/bag for our uniforms, or will we get a sea bag or something?

How many sets of civilian clothes did you bring?

In regards to laundry. It says we need a white mesh laundry bag. Is that so we can all throw our stuff in together? Does it have to be white?

Thanks

Last edited:
Same question for the guys, should we have a high & tight when we show up, or just be within regs and get a haircut as needed later? You can show up with hair out of regs. They'll give you the first weekend to get within regs. The barbershop on base is $8 or so. You'll probably need another before you graduate.

Do we need to bring an extra suitcase/bag for our uniforms, or will we get a sea bag or something? You'll get a seabag. I only showed up with one bag. I bought a hangup bag there for my uniform, so you might bring one.

How many sets of civilian clothes did you bring? One or two. They wouldn't let us off base without a uniform on. They changed the rules a few years ago after some incidences.

In regards to laundry. It says we need a white mesh laundry bag. Is that so we can all throw our stuff in together? Does it have to be white? Yeah, you need a white mesh bag. It needs to be white because everyone has to be the same.

Thanks

This might be a stupid question, but for ODS are females required to have a certain hair cut? If so, should I cut my hair before I leave?
For females, you have to have your hair up in a tight bun, or have it short enough so that it doesn't touch your collar. We had both in my company.

June 15th class here! Some questions:
How do people travel when on liberty? Especially if we get the opportunity to go to Boston?

Do we really need an alarm clock with batteries or are our phones sufficient?

Is graduation a big enough deal for parents to come all the way out to Rhode Island?

How likely is it that there are leftover shoe shine kits there for us to use, or should we just suck it up and buy it.

Do people ever get care packages sent to them/is this acceptable? Probably won't include food.

What is the best role to be besides DIVO?

I know someone mentioned protein bars and I am going to try to sneak some in, are supplements allowed like multivitamins, caffeine pills, etc.?

Do we have to memorize all 10 of those documents that is posted online before coming? Like the songs and such? I will probably look over ranks and insignia because that is downright important.

June 15th class here! Some questions:
How do people travel when on liberty? Especially if we get the opportunity to go to Boston? You either call a cab if your going to be in going into Newport, or you make friends with people that brought cars. To go to Boston, you can either go by car or bus, though, they have done away with the overnight liberty. No one gets that.

Do we really need an alarm clock with batteries or are our phones sufficient? I think either one is fine, but uniformity might require you to get one. There might be a couple in the storage closet.

Is graduation a big enough deal for parents to come all the way out to Rhode Island? Yeah, a lot of people's parents come. When we graduated last year (June), we had a really big class, ~180, which is probably close to your class's size. We had an admiral come give the commencement address. So it's pretty official and cool.

How likely is it that there are leftover shoe shine kits there for us to use, or should we just suck it up and buy it. There might be some, and you could probably share with someone.

Do people ever get care packages sent to them/is this acceptable? Probably won't include food. People got mail and packages, I think. You just have to keep it in your locker.

What is the best role to be besides DIVO? DIVO is probably the worst role. There's so much responsibility and you have to put up with all of the complaining of the company and be the spokesperson to your class chief. I would never want to be that role. Our DIVO and ADIVO were voluntold to be it if that gives you any indication (they were both priors.)

I know someone mentioned protein bars and I am going to try to sneak some in, are supplements allowed like multivitamins, caffeine pills, etc.? Yeah that's fine. As long as it's in your locker locked, no one can get to it. caffeine pills are a good idea if your a big coffee drinker. You are not allowed to have coffee for a few weeks. I don't think we got it until sometime in week 3.

Do we have to memorize all 10 of those documents that is posted online before coming? Like the songs and such? I will probably look over ranks and insignia because that is downright important. All of the material given to you needs to be memorized. The songs, code of conduct, sentry's orders, ranks, all of it. You'll have time once you're there to memorize it though. There's a lot of downtime, and everyone pulls out their books to read over it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm from UCLA and will be reporting this Saturday 6/14 to start ODS 6/15. Anybody else on here in that group? :)

I had another questions.

Once you get to Providence, are there commercial shuttles going to Newport? Or do we have to get a taxi?

I had another questions.

Once you get to Providence, are there commercial shuttles going to Newport? Or do we have to get a taxi?
You can get a shuttle or a taxi. Shuttles have to be reserved, I think. You'll probably meet a few people on the flight into Providence as it's probably a connection from Baltimore or something. If that's the case, you can just all share a taxi fare.

There was a TV in the lounge when I went through, but I don't remember when they let us watch it. Boston, and Cape Cod are close and you can go there after a you get your stuff together. Travel POV if you can.

Are you required to pass the PRT that is given late in ODS, or if you pass the first one that is given a few days into ODS, will that suffice? I'm wondering as I can currently do everything within the times, but I'm a little older and can sometimes get tendinitis if I overtrain.

Are you required to pass the PRT that is given late in ODS, or if you pass the first one that is given a few days into ODS, will that suffice? I'm wondering as I can currently do everything within the times, but I'm a little older and can sometimes get tendinitis if I overtrain.

I completed ODS this past summer.

Don't sweat the PFA. You just have to pass with a "good", and even though people say you must pass them, you don't. However, with that said, when you get to your permanent duty station (the place your heading to after ODS if its not school), you will likely take the PFA then. And pass it then.

ODS is not like OCS or NAPS or the Academy. We're already commissioned and its just an indoctrination course so you're not a total bag of donuts when you report to your command.

The company tempo or "attitude" is really derived from who the RDC Chief is that is pushing the company. We had an outstanding Chief who really set the bar high. Other companies may not have the same chief. They may be more self directed. Or, they may be on their face more cause they aren't performing. Its really up to the RDC.

The first week, was really the most "intense" when compared to the rest of the time there. There were some who were in shock, and for others it was just another day at work. My opinion is that if you've played team sports, ODS should be a good experience.

Any questions feel free to PM.

Nov. 16 class here, anyone else going in Nov.?
Few questions:
1. Who books the flight to ODS?
2. Do they book your flight back? Not reporting to duty station until late Dec.
3. Is it better to bring my dental x-rays or wait for them to do the x-rays? Also do they do a cleaning or should I do that before arriving?

1. The HPSP office booked it for us. I got my orders/itinerary a little less than 2 months before my ODS report date. I know some folks got it about 1 month before. If you're HPSP I'd probably go ahead an e-mail them if you haven't heard anything by Monday. If you're not HPSP, I wouldn't know who to contact, but I'd contact whoever you've been in contact with, or maybe your recruiter if you can't get in contact with anyone else. If you've got your orders, but no ticket, you should get the ticket 1 week before you travel. So long as you were confirmed for Nov 16, I wouldn't be too worried. If you were never confirmed by them, start contacting folks.
2. My flight was booked for me. As well as my classmates'. The government has some fancy service that books flights for them.
3. They do not do a cleaning. I think if you've got some freetime you can go to the clinic and get a cleaning done, but they just do an exam and x-rays. I'd imagine they're going to want to do their own x-rays so it's electronic and in their system, but if you don't want to get irradiated, it wouldn't hurt to see if they'll accept them.

Why couldn't you have gone this summer? I would've loved to have your opinion on a plantar fasciitis issue that's sort of turned into a bump on the sole of my foot. Oh well, maybe in the fleet.

Hello Natya:

I am new in all this ODS thing... and I am pursuing chaplaincy... Once we finished ODS graduation,
How much time off do we have after graduation?
do we get assigned to a naval base?
Or do I go off to college? I need to get my Divinity Degree…

I searched a few links, but can’t find these answers… appreciated!

Can anyone help with the questions... Thanks!

We had 160 some odd people in my class, but it was a little larger than most. That was broken up into four divisions of roughly 40 people each.
There were med students/docs
dentists/dental students
chaplains/divinity students
medical service corps (hospital administrators, psychologists, etc)
nurses
lawyers
I think that's it.

Natya

so let's say you're a female on her period and you need to do some of the swimming activities... will you have to learn to use a tampon? Or can you get by with pads?

so let's say you're a female on her period and you need to do some of the swimming activities... will you have to learn to use a tampon? Or can you get by with pads?
Your post just made me very thankful I'm not a female.

Since I don't really know much about how that works, I'll tell you what I do remember. Females were allowed to wear their Navy PT shorts over their 1 piece swim suits. So I suppose that would hide your pads? That's the best answer I can give you. Also, if you go with a large class, you'll be split into two days, a day or two apart, so maybe you can talk with your class leader (DIVO/aDIVO) and get switched to whichever group might be closer to a lower flow day?

Once you've signed on for HPSP, do you select your dates for ODS or are you essentially told by the Navy when you'll be attending? It would be nice to do it before summer while on a gap year so that I could spend the summer making living arrangements for med school and tying up loose ends at home, but I don't know if this will be a reality.

It sounds like you get to choose based on this link, but I just wanted to make sure.

Once you've signed on for HPSP, do you select your dates for ODS or are you essentially told by the Navy when you'll be attending? It would be nice to do it before summer while on a gap year so that I could spend the summer making living arrangements for med school and tying up loose ends at home, but I don't know if this will be a reality.

It sounds like you get to choose based on this link, but I just wanted to make sure.

You choose which class you want to attend. The summer classes fill quickly but the rest of the classes should be easier to get into.

During my time at ODS my wife is expected to be due with our first child. Does anyone have experience or heard of anyone leaving ODS (about 400 miles away...) for a few days and returning to finish with the same class? I assume if it was during the weekend/liberty it wouldn't be such a big deal...

During my time at ODS my wife is expected to be due with our first child. Does anyone have experience or heard of anyone leaving ODS (about 400 miles away...) for a few days and returning to finish with the same class? I assume if it was during the weekend/liberty it wouldn't be such a big deal...

Navy very likely won't approve leave during ODS , if you want to ensure you will be there for the birth then you would likely need to change your ODS dates. You should contact your POC to ask this question, but don't plan on an answer you like.

Welcome to the military where for as long as you collect the paycheck the military gets to tell you what to do.

I think something similar happened during my ODS class for a wedding?...If it falls on the weekend it might be possible...

Start contacting folks...I do not know who and how but start making phone calls and emails.

They let a couple of people from my class leave to attend med school/dental school graduations. It might be more difficult to get leave for your child's birth since there's some variability with when that's going to happen. But like backrow and RLA said, start asking people now and see what they say.

Most of the people from my company spent their down time sleeping or playing cards with your new compadres.

I can't be the only person who read this! Seriously...the toughest part about ODS is preventing from getting caught while making out with your new favorite comrade. Bring condoms. Haven't seen that recommended yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Guarantee you the answer will be no. If it was within 200 miles I think it could technically be done, but I think 400 is beyond the radius you're allowed to go. TECHNICALLY, if it happens on a weekend when you've got out of town leave and/or your classmates are super awesome and know how to cover for you, and you're pretty much a ninja, you could accomplish it. But you'd be taking a big risk and gambling with your career. Choose another date or plan on missing it. By the way, you only out-of-town liberty the last weekend you're there. The weekend before I think it's off base liberty (stay in town).

Bump! Anybody reporting to ODS Class 16060 in a couple of weeks?