Navy ODS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

re8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I there any way to do ODS after internship or residency?
The school schedule does not allow me to do it before graduation and also I don't have enough time in between graduation and internship.
Is there any one knows this please.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation...

My understanding is you will be made to complete ODS BEFORE the begining of internship. They will send you to internship late if need be. Which shorts the program on staff. Which angers everyone. Which makes them less likely to want you to stay on as a resident and gives you less time to prove yourself to the faculty.

My advice is to do something similar to what I'm doing. Create a selfdesigned elective in the 4th year and get credit for your ODS. It was a ton of work to get set up (the navy can be awful to work with as far as logistics) but it never hurts to get credit for something you had to do anyway. :thumbup:

Thank you for your response. I think I will try to that way.

There are differing interpretations, but the bottom line is that you need to do ODS prior to your first permanent duty station. If you get a deferment (unlikely) you can defer until after residency.