Navy or Air Force HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Navy or Air Force HPSP?

• Navy

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Air Force

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one were definitely going to do the HPSP, would you rather do it in the Air Force or the Navy?

Members don't see this ad.

If one were definitely going to do the HPSP, would you rather do it in the Air Force or the Navy?

What specialty? What service have you already been in? Do you want to have a GMO-type experience? What does your spouse do? Do you get seasick? This, unfortunately, is not a simple question to answer.

What specialty? What service have you already been in? Do you want to have a GMO-type experience? What does your spouse do? Do you get seasick? This, unfortunately, is not a simple question to answer.

Probably something like infectious disease, radiology, or path. While I don't yearn for the GMO experience, I don't think it'd bother me all that much. Not married, no kids. Seasick, not so much. I'm not currently in the service. I grew up with a dad in the military who's going on 24 years now.

Members don't see this ad :)
You didn’t include the "None" option. I would’ve picked that one....

Exactly why I didn't include it ;)

I've read the boards, shadowed military physicians (FP, EM, Surgery), I grew up seeing military physicians, and I grew up in a military family. I'm just trying to decide which branch.

Here we go again. This is deja vu, wish my test questions were like that. Where do you want to live, coasts or predominately heart of America. Bus driver suit or khakis. What speciality? Air Force supposedly has highest quality of life (build golf course before landing strip), highest officer to enlisted ratio, yet seems to be most engrossed with military "honors", ie, you get yelled at for not wearing your cover. Do you want to hang out with Marines, cause then you got to go Navy.

Come on, you gotta give us some more to go on here to give you some advice. Med Corps is probably the most joint branch except for maybe SOF. So, are you interested in dive or underseas medicine vice straight GMO? I guess maybe besides speciality make up, maybe that is what defines Navy vs. AF. Both have GMOs, both have Flight Surgeons. As far as what else AF has to offer, I'm unenlightened.

I'm actually going to go Navy. I grew up Navy. I love the coast. Going to med school is going to be the first time I've lived in a landlocked state. There seems to be more opportunities for the fields that I might study with the Navy than with the Air Force.

Grew up in East Tennessee, (Eastern time zone), went to Naval Academy, then lived on the coast for seven years. Now in Memphis, can't wait to leave. You'll fit in fine.

Grew up in East Tennessee, (Eastern time zone), went to Naval Academy, then lived on the coast for seven years. Now in Memphis, can't wait to leave. You'll fit in fine.

I grew up in Memphis, went to undergrad in East TN, and I too, would never live in Memphis again. You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Midwest.

I grew up in Memphis, went to undergrad in East TN, and I too, would never live in Memphis again. You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Midwest.
Memphis is not the Midwest. But yes, being land-locked can be suffocating for coastal people. Then again, some of us don't mind the quick access to the mountains. And I wouldn't trade the east coast right now with their blizzards for anything!
Koogy

Reactions: 1 user
Memphis is not the Midwest. But yes, being land-locked can be suffocating for coastal people. Then again, some of us don't mind the quick access to the mountains. And I wouldn't trade the east coast right now with their blizzards for anything!
Koogy

Memphis is probably closer to the mid-west in culture than the south. It borders Arkansas and Missouri. My wife is from south Georgia and she does not consider Maryland to be the south. Even though Maryland is below the Mason Dixie line and outside of the metropolitan areas is more southern in sensibilities than the North East.

Memphis is probably closer to the mid-west in culture than the south. It borders Arkansas and Missouri. My wife is from south Georgia and she does not consider Maryland to be the south. Even though Maryland is below the Mason Dixie line and outside of the metropolitan areas is more southern in sensibilities than the North East.

Anyone who considers Maryland to be the south has never truly been to or lived in the south.....

Anyone who considers Maryland to be the south has never truly been to or lived in the south.....

You've never been to southern Maryland. Baltimore and the DC area of course do not have southern sensibilities. It's like someone saying Virginia is not the south because all they know is northern Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax). I grew up in the DC area in Maryland. When I go to southern Maryland, I am shocked how similar it is to Tennessee, central Virginia or the Carolinas.

You've never been to southern Maryland. Baltimore and the DC area of course do not have southern sensibilities. It's like someone saying Virginia is not the south because all they know is northern Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax). I grew up in the DC area in Maryland. When I go to southern Maryland, I am shocked how similar it is to Tennessee, central Virginia or the Carolinas.
Actually been there many times. Still doesn't hold a candle to most of South Carolina, Georgia, and of course Alabama......

I was stationed at the Naval Hospital when Memphis (Millington) had one. Memphis claims to be Mid South whatever that is. I did like Rendezvous, but not much else. I went through 2 ice storms there, and the summers are miserable.

Actually been there many times. Still doesn't hold a candle to most of South Carolina, Georgia, and of course Alabama......

Nothing compares to those states you listed also including Mississippi. Richmond or Roanoke Virginia would by like NYC compared to Alabama or Mississippi.

Nothing compares to those states you listed also including Mississippi. Richmond or Roanoke Virginia would by like NYC compared to Alabama or Mississippi.
haha true!

I love Roanoke. Almost took a job there. Great for backpacking, kayaking, mountain biking, and skiing. Love that area of Virginia!

There are multiple "souths" (not even bring Texas into this discussion...) There is the "south" of West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, North Georgia, and then there is "south" on a whole new level in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Georgia and Florida (exclusive of from about Orlando down). Having grown up and gone to undergrad in East Tennessee, med school in California, and now stationed in southern Georgia, I can't wait to get back up to the south I love in the mountains.

EDIT: to make this relevant to the IP - enjoy the Navy! a Navy friend of mine just finished up a "deployment" to Italy. They were really roughin it.

There are multiple "souths" (not even bring Texas into this discussion...) There is the "south" of West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, North Georgia, and then there is "south" on a whole new level in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Georgia and Florida (exclusive of from about Orlando down). Having grown up and gone to undergrad in East Tennessee, med school in California, and now stationed in southern Georgia, I can't wait to get back up to the south I love in the mountains.

EDIT: to make this relevant to the IP - enjoy the Navy! a Navy friend of mine just finished up a "deployment" to Italy. They were really roughin it.

How are things at Moody?

And I know what you mean living in the south I miss the WV south....I too love the mountains

Being from south Florida I can confidently say that Orlando and south from there in FL might as well be a extension of new england. Almost everyone at my high school was from New York.

Reactions: 1 user