Navy or Army/AF HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuffPremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My family has ties to Army, Navy, and Marines. Since Marines are part of the Department of the Navy, there is no "Marine Medicine" unless you do a GMO with Marines (e.g. EOD perhaps?) My main concern is that the Navy requires GMOs for their residents, which cuts into your residency time, (not sure if this is true?) whereas Army and AF train you until you get a certain badge and then no more commitment. Can anyone help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I know that it really boils down to which branch on is interested in, but I would also love to know if you all had any regrets or personal advice to give on why you went with which branch and if you'd do it again. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
From reading on this forum, here are some things I have gathered:

Army: Largest branch so there are more residency slots (less gmo tours). Some complain that Army installations aren't as nice but I guess it all depends on where they send you.

Navy: Most get forced into a gmo tour before residency. I haven't heard quite as many complaints about the Navy medicine system as a whole. Plenty of seamen.

Air Force: Smaller branch. Nice bases/facilities. Less gmo/flight surgeon tours than Navy but more than Army. Many of their residency programs are combined with Army or Navy programs.