Navy pilot to med student advice / resign commission early? - help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zilber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to thank you in advance for the help.

I am a Navy pilot, and almost finished with my JO tour. I am due to transfer to Pensacola next year and should be stationed there as instructor pilot for about 3 years. I have a pre-med plan planned out, and my goal is to apply to USUHS a year before I transfer for my disassociate sea tour, and instead of transferring there, if I am fortunate, transfer to USUHS.

The problem is that when I finish my Pensacola orders, I will have only paid the Navy back 7 years and 3 months for flight school, and the requirement is 8 years. MILPERSMAN 1920-200 states that obligation for the aviatiion pipeline must be completed.

Has anyone had experience with this? What are my options? Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to thank you in advance for the help.

I am a Navy pilot, and almost finished with my JO tour. I am due to transfer to Pensacola next year and should be stationed there as instructor pilot for about 3 years. I have a pre-med plan planned out, and my goal is to apply to USUHS a year before I transfer for my disassociate sea tour, and instead of transferring there, if I am fortunate, transfer to USUHS.

The problem is that when I finish my Pensacola orders, I will have only paid the Navy back 7 years and 3 months for flight school, and the requirement is 8 years. MILPERSMAN 1920-200 states that obligation for the aviatiion pipeline must be completed.

Has anyone had experience with this? What are my options? Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Under your current plan, you will need to request a transfer to the medical corps to attend USUHS. If you wish to attend medical school and are not accepted into USUHS, you will need a conditional release from active duty to participate in HPSP. Both are possible, but subject to the needs of your specific community at the time of request. These are the only options if you owe time. The remaining owed time would be added to the end of your med school obligation.

Under your current plan, you will need to request a transfer to the medical corps to attend USUHS. If you wish to attend medical school and are not accepted into USUHS, you will need a conditional release from active duty to participate in HPSP. Both are possible, but subject to the needs of your specific community at the time of request. These are the only options if you owe time. The remaining owed time would be added to the end of your med school obligation.

NavyFP,

Thanks for your help. I'll try to find the instructions on the Navy Personnel Command's website.

Members don't see this ad :)
NavyFP,
Thanks for your help. I was wondering when I need to submit the redesignation package, because if I don't get accepted to USUHS, will I still get redesignated, or is this conditionally? Or will I have to submit a special redesignation package unpon acceptance?

I am also planning to apply to med schools in Ohio. I found this website on NPC's website http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/ActiveDutyTransferRedesignation/

https://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/63FE3B3F-5AC6-4F8F-BA04-12B6230BB8A2/0/Jun09LOI.pdf
It looks like there is a statement there stating that I can apply for lateral transfer 12 months prior to my Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) from winging. So that would work out, since I should have about 11 months left from my Pensacola PRD to my ADSO. But the next sentence says, "Aviation officers shall not be permitted to lateral transfer or redesignate until completion of ASDO ... or PRD, whichever one is later." My PRD from Pensacola should be around February - March timeframe. By that time, I should know the results of the application, right? I am assuming that school would start in August or September... I can ask the CO to extend me, but will the Navy let me transfer, that's the question... ?

Hey I'm in the same boat, but I owe 2 more years after my initial 8 and am up for orders now. I'm probably going to have to take sea duty orders and then try to bail on them a bit early. How is your progress?

By chance did it ever work out for you? If so, what steps did you take? I am currently waiting to go to OCS for SNFO but am looking at doing premed while in the navy then applying to medical schools. Any advice?

Reactions: 1 users
I attended this man's dedication ceremony at our Alma Mater, RPI. Had no idea he wanted to be a doctor. Rest easy shipmate.

Reactions: 1 user