Navy PT warmup/rain suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Army, AF, and recently USMC have fielded modern PT warmup/rain suits. The Navy to its embarrassment still uses 1930s cotton sweatsuits, after rolling out several attempts at modern suits (all of which failed beta testing for one reason or another). The Navy has been mucking around with this issue for almost a decade now.

Anybody with close connection to the Navy Uniform Board have insight or updates? Last I heard (over a year ago) the Navy was considering asking New Balance to come up with a reasonably-priced warmup suit, along the lines of our improved 2nd gen PT gear (which New Balance makes).

Given the other ridiculous and never-ending changes the Uniform Board has made, perhaps it's no surprise they haven't had time to address the PT warmup suit.

Oh .... and whatever else you wind up doing, this time put some freaking pockets on the warmup suit pants.

Members don't see this ad.

That hoodie is pretty comfortable...

Yes, and I like the choices of pullover and zipped. Its one of my wife's favorite weekend things to wear in winter. I just don't understand the difficulty and delay in fielding an updated warmup. It's not really rocket science. I'd be happy with no new warmup if they'd let us fly commercial in CONUS in our NWUs. The Army and AF do. Would make Sunday afternoon of drill weekend less hectic with one less thing to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweatshirt? Warm up suit?

Anything that lets me cover up my obnoxious yellow shirt when I PT with my Marines is OK by me.

It's Co's preference at 1st MLG. They keep joking that it's so they can make sure they see all the Navy guys that fall out.

Isnt it made from the same material as PT belts in case you get shot, blown up, hit by car...etc while PTing :)

Nope, the USN warm up/cold weather PT outerwear is 100% cotton, just like Rocky wore (except for the color and reflective emblem). Great at absorbing, not wicking, sweat or rain. The shorts and T shirt are somewhat modern.