Navy Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Navy Sports Medicine Fellowship? I know there is (or was) one offered at Camp Pendleton, but aside from the mention on http://nshs.med.navy.mil/, I can't find any information on it.

Anyone know how competitive this fellowship might be? Would this traditionally be done after a residency in Family Practice or after a residency plus a few years of service as a FP doc?

Thanks for any and all info...

Members don't see this ad.

notdeadyet said:
Is anyone familiar with the Navy Sports Medicine Fellowship? I know there is (or was) one offered at Camp Pendleton, but aside from the mention on http://nshs.med.navy.mil/, I can't find any information on it.

Anyone know how competitive this fellowship might be? Would this traditionally be done after a residency in Family Practice or after a residency plus a few years of service as a FP doc?

Thanks for any and all info...

It's still there and supposed to be a good program (total hearsay).

It is highly competitive within the FP community. Sports Med is, by far, their most desired of relatively few fellowships. If you rotate out there, you'll work with those guys and see how it goes. The fellows have all done other tours between residency and fellowship.

it SOUNDS great, much ado about nothing in my opinion. no real increase in income

Members don't see this ad :)
adismo said:
it SOUNDS great, much ado about nothing in my opinion. no real increase in income

but to some it's a dramatic increase in job satisfaction. many docs use it as a "practice builder" in the real world. so in a way it can increase your income indirectly.

--your friendly neighborhood sports medicine interested caveman

I was wondering if there was any update on this. I have a med student I am talking to who is interest in Sports Medicine. From what I understand Camp Pendleton has the only Navy Sports Med fellowship. I would assume that it is incredibly competitive and only open to FP.

Is Camp Pendleton the only Navy Sports Med fellowship? Is it as or more difficult to match as a civilian Sports Med program? Is a GMO/Fleet utilization tour a must?

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user