NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For everyone that wants more stats:

Took exam Sept 12 & 13 2011
Exam results received Sept 26 2011

Comp score 84

Results: #Ques/My#correct/Nat.Average
Operative: 63 48 41.7
Pharm: 38 27 26.6
Prosth: 60 46 42.4
OS/Pain: 53 42 37
Ortho/Peds: 72 55 50.9
Endo: 38 33 28.9
Perio: 58 45 43.9
Path/xray 60 43 40.4
Pt. manage 58 42 42.4
----------------------------------------
Cases 100 70 67.5

Raw score: 381/500

-I looked through the 2007/2008 decks once and through Mosby once.
-Did all Mosby questions, the 93' test and the 2005? test.
-I thought Mosby's questions were pretty accurate as far as my scoring on them and my actual scoring (raw scores).
-I studied about 5 days a week, 1-2 hours a day for 2 months.
-Just like part 1 you feel like you missed a lot coming out of it, but remember there are a lot of questions too!

Good luck to all!

ps. I looked at the past couple pages here and it looks like everyone that took the exam before the 14th of the month got their scores on the 25th of the same month. Worked for me too!

Comp score 84

Path/xray 60 43 40.4
Pt. manage 58 42 42.4
Cases 100 70 67.5

-I thought Mosby's questions were pretty accurate as far as my scoring on them and my actual scoring (raw scores).
-Just like part 1 you feel like you missed a lot coming out of it, but remember there are a lot of questions too!

Good luck to all!

ps. I looked at the past couple pages here and it looks like everyone that took the exam before the 14th of the month got their scores on the 25th of the same month. Worked for me too!

hi
first of all congrats :thumbup::thumbup:
i would like to guide me for part 2 to pass........i just want to pass
thank you in advance:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rayman,

I really think that if you just want to pass then do the decks once (well) or twice, several practice tests to get some exposure and methodically go through each section focusing on your weaknesses.
Probably the best thing to do is to map out how much you want to do a day, learn it well and then move on to the next day until the exam date comes. I took 1-2 hours a night (5 days a week) and studied little by little for about 2 months, then the last week and a half I did old exams, Mosby questions and reviewed topics I was showing weak in.
Be organized and most likely if you've made it this far in dental school you'll be ready after a little reviewing/studying.

Good luck!

Hey Rayman,

I really think that if you just want to pass then do the decks once (well) or twice, several practice tests to get some exposure and methodically go through each section focusing on your weaknesses.
Probably the best thing to do is to map out how much you want to do a day, learn it well and then move on to the next day until the exam date comes. I took 1-2 hours a night (5 days a week) and studied little by little for about 2 months, then the last week and a half I did old exams, Mosby questions and reviewed topics I was showing weak in.
Be organized and most likely if you've made it this far in dental school you'll be ready after a little reviewing/studying.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for replying& appreciate your help& time

Comp score 84

Path/xray 60 43 40.4
Pt. manage 58 42 42.4
Cases 100 70 67.5

Good luck to all!

Congrats on your great score! You've done better than the average on all the sections! Good luck!

1st attempt was in February. The total raw score was 353/500. 73%
2nd was at the end of June. I got better: 376/500. STILL 73% though...

So in mid-July, I started reading Board Busters. In August, after finishing that book, I opened Mosby's. In September, I began the 2007-08 Dental Decks. Last week, I started looking at back exams: ASDA's II-L and II-M (1998-2008 combined), and the ADA's Released Item Booklets from 2006 and 2009. I also looked over a ton of questions my Oral Path prof gave out which, according to a classmate, had questions that showed up in the Part 2 exam. I also plan to look at the questions within the Mosby CD. I would say I studied at least 6 hours a day almost every day.

I'm scheduled to take Part 2 at the end of this week. Any last-minute advice or study material I should know about but missed, before the 6th, besides to get some rest the night before?

Last edited:

So in mid-July, I started reading Board Busters. In August, after finishing that book, I opened Mosby's. In September, I began the 2007-08 Dental Decks. Last week, I started looking at back exams: ASDA's II-L and II-M (1998-2008 combined), and the ADA's Released Item Booklets from 2006 and 2009. I also looked over a ton of questions my Oral Path prof gave out which, according to a classmate, had questions that showed up in the Part 2 exam. I also plan to look at the questions within the Mosby CD. I would say I studied at least 6 hours a day almost every day.

I'm scheduled to take Part 2 at the end of this week. Any last-minute advice or study material I should know about but missed, before the 6th, besides to get some rest the night before?
good luck mate

Hi Dear
I would ask about are there a big differences between 1&2 attempt?
Did you find what you missed in the exam in buster & Mosby's?
what was the most difficult part in your exams?
please share us your experience
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
BEST WISHES

Good luck on your exam.
TC

Hi Dear
I would ask about are there a big differences between 1&2 attempt?
Did you find what you missed in the exam in buster & Mosby's?
what was the most difficult part in your exams?
please share us your experience
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
BEST WISHES
1st time: Mosby's and a little decks
2nd: Board Busters and Kaplan
Both times, I didn't finish the books or decks, nor did I focus enough. I wasn't consistent either. In other words I studied, stopped, and started again. With the back exams, decks and both books I felt ready for almost everything but Pharmacology and Prosthodontics. If everyone here is saying Tufts is good for studying Pharm, do it. You'll own Pharm.

The hardest part for me was staying positive. If you get stuck, don't dwell on it. Skip or "Mark" it and come back to it later. Maybe down the exam you'll find a question that'll help you with that one you skipped.

Too bad the scoring isn't based on how many you get right out of the whole thing. If it was, then I would've JUST passed it on the 2nd try. I'm telling myself that if I managed to get 75% right the second time while barely studying and letting household distractions get the best of me, then I should do way better after studying hardcore for over 2 months. I hope that I answered your questions. Thanks for the best wishes.

1st time: Mosby's and a little decks
2nd: Board Busters and Kaplan
Both times, I didn't finish the books or decks, nor did I focus enough. I wasn't consistent either. In other words I studied, stopped, and started again. With the back exams, decks and both books I felt ready for almost everything but Pharmacology and Prosthodontics. If everyone here is saying Tufts is good for studying Pharm, do it. You'll own Pharm.

The hardest part for me was staying positive. If you get stuck, don't dwell on it. Skip or "Mark" it and come back to it later. Maybe down the exam you'll find a question that'll help you with that one you skipped.

Too bad the scoring isn't based on how many you get right out of the whole thing. If it was, then I would've JUST passed it on the 2nd try. I'm telling myself that if I managed to get 75% right the second time while barely studying and letting household distractions get the best of me, then I should do way better after studying hardcore for over 2 months. I hope that I answered your questions. Thanks for the best wishes.

You must be so happy to get over with the exam. Good luck for the result!

My results arrived from when I took it back on the 6th and 7th. Study hard, everyone.

Subject # items/# mine/national mean
Operative 59/44/41.7
Pharm 37/28/26.6
Pros 58/39/42.4
OS 54/35/37
Ortho and Pedo 76/47/50.9
Endo 37/31/28.9
Perio 63/44/43.9
Oral Path and Radio 56/43/40.4
Patient Mgmt 60/43/42.4
Cases 100/67/67.5
--------------------------------
Total 500/421/421.7
Score: 80
[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmtfhvlRd4[/YOUTUBE]
(www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmtfhvlRd4)

Members don't see this ad :)
My results arrived from when I took it back on the 6th and 7th. Study hard, everyone.

Operative 59/44/41.7
Pharm 37/28/26.6
Pros 58/39/42.4
OS 54/35/37
Endo 37/31/28.9
Perio 63/44/43.9
Patient Mgmt 60/43/42.4
Cases 100/67/67.5
Total 500/421/421.7

Congratulations !! great score...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can you let us know what all you studied for the exam? and how long it took for you to prepare?

Operative 59/44/41.7
Pharm 37/28/26.6
Pros 58/39/42.4
OS 54/35/37
Endo 37/31/28.9
Perio 63/44/43.9
Patient Mgmt 60/43/42.4
Cases 100/67/67.5
Total 500/421/421.7

Your score is 354/500. Cases are already added into each individual subject score, so you can add the last case score into the total.

Congratulations !! great score...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can you let us know what all you studied for the exam? and how long it took for you to prepare?
Sure. I did already but I will again. Mosby's, Board Busters, Decks, and ASDA back exams. The day after I got my 2nd result I studied again and kept going until earlier this month. So it was a little over two months, for several hours a day. I would have kept going for two more months but I had a residency waiting for me.

Your score is 354/500. Cases are already added into each individual subject score, so you can add the last case score into the total.
This makes sense. The way I scored it I wondered, why would I have 80 if I answered 84% of them? Just goes to show you that certain questions really do have more weight than others.

Last edited:
I am trying to schedule my exam today but am torn. I had soooooooo much trouble with Part 1 that I am a little gun shy! I took Part 2 last Feb and failed by 2 points. I have been lightly studying along with working for 2 months, but want some advice. Should I just buckle down and take it the week before Christmas or wait til Jan? Advice please! I need motivation, I think I am scared of failing again.

I am trying to schedule my exam today but am torn. I had soooooooo much trouble with Part 1 that I am a little gun shy! I took Part 2 last Feb and failed by 2 points. I have been lightly studying along with working for 2 months, but want some advice. Should I just buckle down and take it the week before Christmas or wait til Jan? Advice please! I need motivation, I think I am scared of failing again.

Hi,
I can imagine its a tough decision to make on dec or jan but if u have taken the exam once i suggest tht u take it by end of dec since u have a previous exposure of the exam and u knw where to put on the extra effort. Moreover Jan format wud be new to all.Apart frm tht even though we wud be judged on pass or fail the univ. can get detail of score on request so its better to give in Dec but only if you prep well for the rest of the time u have...m doin the same...gud luk

Can anyone help me out, what to study in patient management & is dental deck is good enough to go through or any kind of advice is welcome.

thanks

Dear friends,
I am working hard to get a good score bcs my part 1 is only 81. I have read mosby and decks twice. I have K and M series. Please guide me if there are any other good exam Q available to test myself or help me recolllect. I have 15 days to go.

I will appreciate your help!

Many Thanks,
Sowmya

Hi dear shashi
we are in the same boat .
i have my exam after 3 weeks,but i dont have K&M OR or any of ASDA BOOKLET
THANK YOU

Dear friends,

I am working hard to get a good score bcs my part 1 is only 81. I have read mosby and decks twice. I have K and M series. Please guide me if there are any other good exam Q available to test myself or help me recolllect. I have 15 days to go.

I will appreciate your help!

Many Thanks,
Sowmya

I took my board 3weeks ago, I passed with 80! Yeaaa.
I didn't use my 2011-2012 dental deck so Im selling it . If anyone is interested on buying, please contact me at [email protected]. It's NEW in the box, I opened the box but the decks still in the plastic . Asking price is 135, shipping included.

I did Kaplan qbanks, released questions from 2009-1980's, mosby once ( didn't spend much time on it), I did all the questions that came with the mosby book, I used dental secrets book.
Overall, it wasn't too bad, just go in with confidence.
Good luck everyone..

Thanks to all who post scores, it helps.

Got my NBDE II result today, took it Nov 21 & 22.
372/500
75/100 Case
83 Comp Score

Studied very lightly for a few weeks, then one week for about 6-8 hr/day. Used First Aid as an outline and added notes to it from old Decks, Mosby, and Released Exams J, K, L, & M.

I think the key is taking one or two released exams to gauge your areas of strength, weakness & get used to the type of questions asked. Save the other two for a final practice test. I don't know if any particular study guide is better than another because they all have their pros & cons. What's more important is how good you are at self-assessment of how you're scoring on the released exams and your ability to adjust your studying accordingly. And retaining the information you're weak on. For me, I had to cram for one week then just go for it because I can't remember that large of volume of information for very long.

Hope that helps somebody. Good luck.

Congratulations on passing Part 2 !!! :)
Was the actual exam similar to L and M series ? I mean the style,type and pattern of questions and was it comparable or tougher than ASDA series ?
I have my exam in about 3 weeks and I am totally freaking out :scared:
I'll appreciate your help !
Thank you
Thanks to all who post scores, it helps.

Got my NBDE II result today, took it Nov 21 & 22.
372/500
75/100 Case
83 Comp Score

Studied very lightly for a few weeks, then one week for about 6-8 hr/day. Used First Aid as an outline and added notes to it from old Decks, Mosby, and Released Exams J, K, L, & M.

I think the key is taking one or two released exams to gauge your areas of strength, weakness & get used to the type of questions asked. Save the other two for a final practice test. I don't know if any particular study guide is better than another because they all have their pros & cons. What's more important is how good you are at self-assessment of how you're scoring on the released exams and your ability to adjust your studying accordingly. And retaining the information you're weak on. For me, I had to cram for one week then just go for it because I can't remember that large of volume of information for very long.

Hope that helps somebody. Good luck.

Congratulations on passing Part 2 !!! :)
Was the actual exam similar to L and M series ? I mean the style,type and pattern of questions and was it comparable or tougher than ASDA series ?
I have my exam in about 3 weeks and I am totally freaking out :scared:
I'll appreciate your help !
Thank you

The type of questions in the released exams are very similar to the actual test. There were probably 5% of exact repeats and another 10% that were so similar to previous exams that you should be able to get them right. Plenty of easy questions and always those ones that are difficult. Don't let a question rattle you if you don't think you know it, just mark it and move on to the others and go back to it later.

Did you find the questions on the disc from Mosby's to be helpful at all?

Didn't use the Mosby disc questions, only used about 20% of the book.

Thank you so much kdawg. :)

The type of questions in the released exams are very similar to the actual test. There were probably 5% of exact repeats and another 10% that were so similar to previous exams that you should be able to get them right. Plenty of easy questions and always those ones that are difficult. Don't let a question rattle you if you don't think you know it, just mark it and move on to the others and go back to it later.

Didn't use the Mosby disc questions, only used about 20% of the book.

Took Part 2 in early December. Took 2 weeks for my scores to arrive.

Composite Score: 88

Operative: 40/58
Pharm: 33/39
Pros: 48/62
Oral SX/Pain Control: 44/56
Ortho/Pedo: 59/69
Endo: 34/37
Perio: 48/59
Path/Radiology: 45/57
Pt Mgmt: 49/63
Case-Based Items: 74/100

Raw score: 400/500

All of Mosby's, most of First Aid (great quick review the week leading up to the test), NO decks, Tuft's Pharm Review, and mostly paying attention in class along the way. ASDA released test from '05 and '92 (I think). Mosby's CD test (not incredibly helpful) Did better on actual test than old tests.

Took Part 2 in early December. Took 2 weeks for my scores to arrive.

Composite Score: 88

Operative: 40/58
Pharm: 33/39
Pros: 48/62
Oral SX/Pain Control: 44/56
Ortho/Pedo: 59/69
Endo: 34/37
Perio: 48/59
Path/Radiology: 45/57
Pt Mgmt: 49/63
Case-Based Items: 74/100

Raw score: 400/500

All of Mosby's, most of First Aid (great quick review the week leading up to the test), NO decks, Tuft's Pharm Review, and mostly paying attention in class along the way. ASDA released test from '05 and '92 (I think). Mosby's CD test (not incredibly helpful) Did better on actual test than old tests.

Hey Carbide, Congratulations!!

Can you please tell me how much did you score on ASDA series and also did you try crack the Nbde for part 2. How did you do on them.
Please help!!

Hey ,

All the previous exam takers can you please share on your experiences with the scores you got in the released exams like ASDA and crack the nbde part 2, since I am planning to take part 2 soon I want to have an idea how much to expect and to know the level of my preparations. I tried asking lot of people, no one's replying.
Please can anybody help on this one!

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I have completed part 2 today (day 2), and waiting for my results (hopefully a good one). This is my experience:

Day 1: like part 1, the first session was easy and the second one miserable. I have marked total of 90-100 Qs (and I have finished in both sections before end time by 20 mins)
Day 2: no comment, I dont know anything about my performance. The only thing I know is that you have plenty of time.

Lets see how my efforts convert into numbers!

I have completed part 2 today (day 2), and waiting for my results (hopefully a good one). This is my experience:

Day 1: like part 1, the first session was easy and the second one miserable. I have marked total of 90-100 Qs (and I have finished in both sections before end time by 20 mins)
Day 2: no comment, I dont know anything about my performance. The only thing I know is that you have plenty of time.

Lets see how my efforts convert into numbers!

Hey ninety,

All the best for your scores!! Which subject did you feel more tough and needs attention on, like you said component B was not so good, which subject was harder for you that if you would have emphasized on would have done better.

Which among all the study sources you found most helpful?
If you can help in this would be great!
Thanks.

I myself found pharma and prosth the worst to study in general, but for day 2 there is no one thing you need to concentrate on but general dentistry

I used decks mainly and supplied it with Mosby (for Behavioral) and Tufts (for Pharma)

Thanks for your reply. Also how much did you score with ASDA papers and crack if you took. Good luck with your scores!!

Just got my scores back today 12/31. Took the test on the 15th and 16th.

Subject - # of items - mine correct - national mean

Operative - 59 - 53 - 41.4
Pharm - 42 - 35 - 28.1
Prosth - 61 - 52 - 41.7
OS/Pain cntrl - 54 - 43 - 36.7
Ortho/Pediatric - 67 - 54 - 48.7
Endo - 36 - 32 - 28.8
Perio - 63 - 57 - 43.0
Path/Radio - 58 - 46 - 41.7
Pt Mgmt - 60 - 41 - 42.0
Cases - 100 - 78 - 67.9

Total - 413/500

Comp Score - 90

Went through decks once and did 06 and 09 released exams once. Studied about 4 hrs/day for a month. Was averaging around 70% on old exams.

Any one has dental decks combined online and paperback? am planning to take part 2 in few months. its 290 combined on website. Please let me know.

my mail id is [email protected]

thanks and good luck

I got my results on the 31st too..I had expected it to come later considering the holiday season..
I had given my exam on the 14th and 15th of December.. after a month's preparation.
Got a composite score of 85 ..Thank God!!
319 / 400 and
65/100 on Case based questions.
I went through decks 2007-08 once and Mosby's twice. I also found Tuft's Pharm review very useful...Since I didn't have much time, I couldn't even do a complete mock exam.Could only rush through ASDA J,K,L and M series.(The 93 papers are very useful- I mean the pattern was similar)
Keep studying!!
And have faith..Good luck to all those who are waiting to give their exams!!!
Don't get stressed out.. relax!!

Last edited:
That's a great score! I was scheduled for the 21-22 of December, but due to a death in the family, I had to postpone. I will be taking it Jan. 30 and am feverishly studying to make sure that I do well. I am not going to let the new format make me nervous. I have faith that I will do well and I can finally put all of this behind me!

Hi canine
My condolences to you
I was scheduled for the 27_28 of December,but i postponed it until February 27
is there any changing on the format ?
Thank you
That's a great score!e I was scheduled for th 21-22 of December, but due to a death in the family, I had to postpone. I will be taking it Jan. 30 and am feverishly studying to make sure that I do well. I am not going to let the new format make me nervous. I have faith that I will do well and I can finally put all of this behind me!

Yes, there will be new items added: matching, multiple correct answers, and ordering. Look on the ADA website. The only thing that I am not sure of is the scoring. I heard that these new items will not be scored, but I did not take that away from reading the website. Also, the pass/fail will be in place unless you did not pass. Good luck!

Took Part 2 on Dec 22/23 results arrived Jan 9th
------------ 391/500 ----- 78.2% Raw ---------- 85% Scaled-----------

....# Items-----------Mine correct----------National Avg
Op 63 .....................40 .............................41.4
Pharm 42 ......................39........................... 28.1
Prosth 57 .........................46 ....................... .......41.7
OMS 55 ...............................48 ......................... 36.7
Ortho 63 ........................44 .................................48.7
Endo 38 .........................30 ...............................28.8
Perio 59 ......................... 51 .................................. 43.0
Path 64 ..........................53 ...................................41.7
Pt Mng 59 .......................47 ................................42.0
Cases 100 ..................... 81.................................. 67.9
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mosby's book/cd (1x), Kaplan Q bank online several times, Decks (1x).....
Reviewed released exams, read Q banks in study mode- which were helpful.
One month to study part time, five days non-stop like a fiend....Good Luck. :thumbup:

Took Part 2 on Dec 22/23 results arrived Jan 9th
------------ 391/500 ----- 78.2% Raw ---------- 85% Scaled-----------

....# Items-----------Mine correct----------National Avg
Op 63 .....................40 .............................41.4
Pharm 42 ......................39........................... 28.1
Prosth 57 .........................46 ....................... .......41.7
OMS 55 ...............................48 ......................... 36.7
Ortho 63 ........................44 .................................48.7
Endo 38 .........................30 ...............................28.8
Perio 59 ......................... 51 .................................. 43.0
Path 64 ..........................53 ...................................41.7
Pt Mng 59 .......................47 ................................42.0
Cases 100 ..................... 81.................................. 67.9
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mosby's book/cd (1x), Kaplan Q bank online several times, Decks (1x).....
Reviewed released exams, read Q banks in study mode- which were helpful.
One month to study part time, five days non-stop like a fiend....Good Luck. :thumbup:

Congratulations!!
How did you do in simulation tests like ASDA and Kaplan Q bank.