NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My scores
Subject/# of Questions/# Correct/National Mean
Operative: 57/47/41.4
Pharmacology: 38/33/28.1
Prosthodontics: 61/50/41.7
Oral Surgery/Pain Control: 56/41/36.7
Orthodontics/Pediatric Dentistry: 71/56/48.7
Endodontics: 36/34/28.8
Periodontics: 62/47/43.0
Oral Pathology/Radiology: 56/51/41.7
Patient Management: 63/45/42.0
Case-Based 100/74/67.9

Comp Score: 87 Like it matters :roll eyes:

Materials used: Tufts review book ( the best source around) Mosby's read it cover to cover twice and sections here and there multiple times. Kaplan Q bank was a great source to see where you are and to scare you into studying more lol. Read dental decks 1.5 times, it took too long and so I focused on reviewing Mosby's. I did the the 2008 released exam 2 times. the 1993 exam once.

Pharm: use Tufts pharm review its the best thing out there for this part of the exam.
Operative: Dental decks helped me out the most, then kaplan then Mosby's
Prosthodontics: Decks and Mosby's is the best combo
Periodontics: The perio section in decks were the best source and also the treatment plan section in mosby
Ortho pedo: Mosby's is more than enough
Oral Path and Radiology: DECKS DECKS DECKS! This section wasn't bad at all.
Patient Management: Know as much as you can from Mosby's, Decks were terrible for this section, I would recommend finding another source something that focuses on insurance details.
Case Based: Kaplan Qs because if you can score well there than you'll be fine on the test. X-rays are much much worse in the Kaplan Q bank.

Good Luck everyone!!

Did anybody get score for Dec27, 28 exam? Please response. Thank you very much... I'm so nervous....... Please......

Members don't see this ad :)
I sat for the nbde II on dec. 27/28 and got my test results by mail today. It was close but I passed with a 76 comp. score. I read most of the way through the Board Busters book, I skimmed the last 150 pages cause I was running out of time. I should of studied more, but really don't care cause I PASSED.

Took exam Dec. 28-29. Starting studying around mid-November, casually studying decks. I took the Board Busters book with me when I traveled for interviews and studied a bit more intensely Dec. 19-23 (decks, board busters, back exams going back to 1993, didn't bother with the really old exams from the mid to early 80s, Tufts Pharm) and then on the 27th, didn't take my board materials back home to study for Christmas since I knew I wouldn't have much time.

Here's the breakdown: Total Qs/my score/nat. avg.
OP: 59/51/41.4
Pharm: 42/34/28.1
O.S./Pain Control: 54/41/36.7
Ortho/Pedo: 67/43/48.7
Endo: 36/31/28.8
Perio: 63/53/43
Path/Radio: 58/45/41.7
Pt. Mgmt.: 60/53/42
Case Based: 100/76/67.9

Comp Score 87

I was really happy with my score given the amount of time truly devoted to studying. I was a bit nervous with case based as I had a few really bad radiographs that could have affected around 5-6 questions. Probably didn't do as well in pedo/ortho as I didn't devote a lot of time to ortho study, made a few dumb mistakes and some of the bad radiographs involved a pedo case.

My .02: Don't stress out over this test. Personally, I thought part 1 was a little bit worse as I felt so far removed from some of that material by the time I took the exam. Since most of this info was something I could relate to as it's pretty much all dentistry, I felt better prepared. Our class also took a fairly in depth oral path exam in Dec. as part of our oral medicine graduation requirement, which helped refresh material we learned the year before. As far as the questions regarding insurance and so forth, I'm glad our practice management instructor covered that well.

You've made it this far, you can pass and at this point, your total score will have absolutely no bearing on anything as it's P/F from this point on. If you get stuck, mark it and move on. Finish, review questions and move on. If you're on a roll, don't take that full hour break, take 10 min and have a snack, use the restroom if needed and get back on that horse while your brain is still in test mode. IMHO, I though day 2 was a bit tougher, but that was due to a few bad radiographs and a few subjective tx options that could definitely be argued, but overall, fair exam and one that you will glad to just be done with.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Finally! I have passed :)
Took exam Dec. 27-28.

OP: 59/34/41.4 :thumbdown:
Pharm: 42/33/28.1 (amazingly)
Prostho: 61/41/41.7 (good enought;) )
O.S./Pain Control: 54/38/36.7
Ortho/Pedo: 67/51/48.7
Endo: 36/33/28.8
Perio: 63/55/43 :thumbup: rocked it
Path/Radio: 58/43/41.7
Pt. Mgmt.: 60/44/42 what a score :)
Case Based: 100/65/67.9 :thumbdown:thumbdown

Comp Score 83 :) :thumbup:

Hi
congrats on the great result
I would ask you how can i get my self ready to deal with P.Magmt wiche is the hardest part to me.this is the first time in my life study this material and don't know any thing about insurance issues .
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Took exam Dec. 28-29. Starting studying around mid-November, casually studying decks. I took the Board Busters book with me when I traveled for interviews and studied a bit more intensely Dec. 19-23 (decks, board busters, back exams going back to 1993, didn't bother with the really old exams from the mid to early 80s, Tufts Pharm) and then on the 27th, didn't take my board materials back home to study for Christmas since I knew I wouldn't have much time.

OP: 59/51/41.4
Pharm: 42/34/28.1
O.S./Pain Control: 54/41/36.7
Ortho/Pedo: 67/43/48.7
Endo: 36/31/28.8
Perio: 63/53/43
Path/Radio: 58/45/41.7
Pt. Mgmt.: 60/53/42
Case Based: 100/76/67.9

Comp Score 87

I was really happy with my score given the amount of time truly devoted to studying. I was a bit nervous with case based as I had a few really bad radiographs that could have affected around 5-6 questions. Probably didn't do as well in pedo/ortho as I didn't devote a lot of time to ortho study, made a few dumb mistakes and some of the bad radiographs involved a pedo case.

My .02: Don't stress out over this test. Personally, I thought part 1 was a little bit worse as I felt so far removed from some of that material by the time I took the exam. Since most of this info was something I could relate to as it's pretty much all dentistry, I felt better prepared. Our class also took a fairly in depth oral path exam in Dec. as part of our oral medicine graduation requirement, which helped refresh material we learned the year before. As far as the questions regarding insurance and so forth, I'm glad our practice management instructor covered that well.

You've made it this far, you can pass and at this point, your total score will have absolutely no bearing on anything as it's P/F from this point on. If you get stuck, mark it and move on. Finish, review questions and move on. If you're on a roll, don't take that full hour break, take 10 min and have a snack, use the restroom if needed and get back on that horse while your brain is still in test mode. IMHO, I though day 2 was a bit tougher, but that was due to a few bad radiographs and a few subjective tx options that could definitely be argued, but overall, fair exam and one that you will glad to just be done with.

Good luck!

CONGRATS ON THE PASSING WITH GREAT RESULT
Pleas share your experience with evaluation references material you used
Thank you buddy
Took exam Dec. 27-28.

Hi
congrats on the great result
I would ask you how can i get my self ready to deal with P.Magmt wiche is the hardest part to me.this is the first time in my life study this material and don't know any thing about insurance issues .
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

To be honest, the pt management and insurance stuff was something we learned in a few of our classes and pretty much had to remember. Had I known they would ask so many questions on the boards about it, I would have paid a little more attention. I'm sure there are some study materials out there with this info, but it certainly wasn't in decks or in Board Busters.

Thanks and I will post all details soon. I did pt management from mosby which is considered a good source but still I found it insufficient, provided that I am a foreign dentist and have no info about insurance in US. ASDA papers and Kaplan Qs helped me to score above average but the insurance Qs in real exam were nothing but odd to me. I think I guessed them right :)

Took exam Dec. 27-28.

Congratulations ninety!! Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulation guys with these great scores ..

I have a Qs ... is kaplan Qbanks important for part 2 ,, ??? I didn't like it in part 1 ,,, it was nice but not related at all to the real test !!

what do u think of it ?? is it worth to buy them??

Thanks

Thanks and I will post all details soon. I did pt management from mosby which is considered a good source but still I found it insufficient, provided that I am a foreign dentist and have no info about insurance in US. ASDA papers and Kaplan Qs helped me to score above average but the insurance Qs in real exam were nothing but odd to me. I think I guessed them right :)

Hi buddy
Thank you for replying & appreciate every single word you wrote
please if you find any materials may help me in this field, you can send it me at
[email protected]
THANK YOU AND THANK FOR ALL STRUGGLING PEOPLE WITH PART2
To be honest, the pt management and insurance stuff was something we learned in a few of our classes and pretty much had to remember. Had I known they would ask so many questions on the boards about it, I would have paid a little more attention. I'm sure there are some study materials out there with this info, but it certainly wasn't in decks or in Board Busters.

Hi man
We appreciate it& waiting a golden feedback
your experience makes a difference
thanx

I agree with you, Kaplan Q bank was not good for part I. However, it is extremely helpful in part II and it's Q & A way helps a lot in understanding of subject.

Congrats for gud score Ninenty. Can u plz tell me how many days it took u to recieve the results as i have given mine too on 27 and 28 but yet not recieved the results . Thanks

thanks a lot ninty

so I am more confused now ..
I asked many ppl and they told me kaplan Qs is a waste of time
I am doing remembered and planning on doing ASDA and go back through decks as I have one month only !!

do u still recommend kaplan Qbanks ?? what about first aid Q and A ??

I agree with you, Kaplan Q bank was not good for part I. However, it is extremely helpful in part II and it's Q & A way helps a lot in understanding of subject.

I received it on 14th
Hi friends,
Anyone who tried dental board busters, How is it? Is it worth doing..

Also can anybody please answer this, I am sorry I know this is post is only for score & experience but none replied on other thread.

When do you prefer one of these, which situation? Confused with distal , mesial and facial undercut, where the clasp arm and origin be, where should it face?

Cast circumferential clasp
Distal rest/ Mesial rest
I bar/ T bar
Ring bar

Thanks

Just an FYI, for all of those taking Part 2 in January, scores will not be processed until Feb. 13 due to the shut down of the system from Feb 2-12.

I got 87! Could no believe it because I feel studying for this exam is very stressful. I really did not prepare that long. Nor did I put in that many hrs. I think that is the key. I was stressing and scared 2 months before but the month of the exam I really let go and started studying less but better.I got 8 hrs sleep a night and ate well, and worked out. I have so much advice for this exam because I just wanted to pass and never thought that I could get a mark like this.
I used Kaplan Q bank, and the New decks, and tufts pharma!!! I hated mosby's!! I thought it was very limited and kinda distracting. I think it is only ok to use as a side book but decks should be your main source. I also think that all the recent ASDA questions are good but do not repeat themselves on the exam that much. I also think that the mosby's questions are not helpful. I did a couple of the questions and think they are really hard. MOST IMPORTANT adivice. KNOW YOUR BASICS. Understand Understand. Please do not memorize!!!
One really important thing also which I wish someone told me before my exam: Don;t think if your doing bad on your practise test that youll do bad on the real exam! I was not doing good on the ASDA. I think infact its probably better to do the exam right in the begingng when starting to study and see what kind of questions and depth come but do not use it as a guide to test your knowledge. I think kaplan Q bank was awesome for that. My mark was similar on those exams.

I hope this helps. Also everyone knows what works for them. Something that helped me might not help you!

That's great news to hear. I am taking my exam starting tomorrow. Did you take the new version or the old in 2011?
I got 87! Could no believe it because I feel studying for this exam is very stressful. I really did not prepare that long. Nor did I put in that many hrs. I think that is the key. I was stressing and scared 2 months before but the month of the exam I really let go and started studying less but better.I got 8 hrs sleep a night and ate well, and worked out. I have so much advice for this exam because I just wanted to pass and never thought that I could get a mark like this.
I used Kaplan Q bank, and the New decks, and tufts pharma!!! I hated mosby's!! I thought it was very limited and kinda distracting. I think it is only ok to use as a side book but decks should be your main source. I also think that all the recent ASDA questions are good but do not repeat themselves on the exam that much. I also think that the mosby's questions are not helpful. I did a couple of the questions and think they are really hard. MOST IMPORTANT adivice. KNOW YOUR BASICS. Understand Understand. Please do not memorize!!!
One really important thing also which I wish someone told me before my exam: Don;t think if your doing bad on your practise test that youll do bad on the real exam! I was not doing good on the ASDA. I think infact its probably better to do the exam right in the begingng when starting to study and see what kind of questions and depth come but do not use it as a guide to test your knowledge. I think kaplan Q bank was awesome for that. My mark was similar on those exams.

I hope this helps. Also everyone knows what works for them. Something that helped me might not help you!

I need a 2M QUESTION PAPER. If anybody have it please send it to me. I have some other very important part 2 stuff that I can give in return. Please reply.

i am done with part 2, so can guide for part 2 exam also, but need 2M for some reason.

Hi Friends,

I dont think anyone who took part- 2, late Jan or early Feb got their scores.If you do kindly update here to give us an idea also please dont forget to share your experience.

Not heard from anybody in Part 2 forum in long time!!

On the ADA website, if you took the exam anytime between Jan. 3 and Feb.3( I think), there is a block out period. Score processing will resume after Feb 12th. Hope that helps!

On the ADA website, if you took the exam anytime between Jan. 3 and Feb.3( I think), there is a block out period. Score processing will resume after Feb 12th. Hope that helps!
Ok that makes sense..Thanks, but how was the experience in general of the exam. Are there like new pattern questions like mutilple answer, match the following questions or is the pattern similar to dental decks and ASDA, kaplan. I mean to ask.
Thanks to all in advance.

Hi,
I had one more clarification were you questioned any part 1 topics in your Part 2, which you think you could have revised like Micro, biochem relating pharmacology..
or any occlusion topics in complete denture from Okeson or wheelers except the eruption and calcification of teeth.
Thanks

Ummm, it's all related, like eruption sequence, etc. I don't think I would look back over Part 1 specific material unless you have tons of time on your hand.

Hey,
does anyone know how they are now scoring Part 2?
For example, do you need to reach a minimum score for each section or is it just an overall score?

I heard the new score reports won't give a numerical score nor a sectional break down.

anyone know?

I have the same Qs

Hey,
does anyone know how they are now scoring Part 2?
For example, do you need to reach a minimum score for each section or is it just an overall score?

I heard the new score reports won't give a numerical score nor a sectional break down.

anyone know?

From what I understood from the website ( my opinion only) is that scoring will be the same since the exam was the same as before. The only difference would be that if you pass, you wouldn't see or know your numerical outcome, but if you do not pass, they will give you the numerical breakdown. I will check the site again. I do know that the black out period was up yesterday and they were supposed to start processing scores yesterday. I took mine at the end of the month so I expect them late this week or next week. They stated there would be delays due to catching up. Bless everyone who has taken the exam recently. I know how it feels to want something so bad and it takes a long to achieve it. For those that pray, this is a time to be faithful and to ask God for grace and mercy. When you take it, it doesnt seem that bad but sometimes the scores make you feel dumb!!! lol

Hey,

Does anybody who have taken PART 2 can tell me, If there is Case question scenario at the end of the 200 or 400 questions for the component A on first day, like in part 1? Or its just on 2nd day the case scenario..

Do we need to expect any:confused:

Thank you..

There were no case based questions on day 1 when I gave my exam ( dec 29 &30, 2011) . You get case based questions on day 2 only. Cross-check with those who gave more recently. All the best. Don't worry, stick to basics.
Hey,

Does anybody who have taken PART 2 can tell me, If there is Case question scenario at the end of the 200 or 400 questions for the component A on first day, like in part 1? Or its just on 2nd day the case scenario..

Do we need to expect any:confused:

Thank you..

There were no case based questions on day 1 when I gave my exam ( dec 29 &30, 2011) . You get case based questions on day 2 only. Cross-check with those who gave more recently. All the best. Don't worry, stick to basics.

Thank you, Also one more question did the ASDA and Kaplan help you, I mean to say were the questions simulating to them or higher level.

journey to dds, did you get your results yet? I took mine at the end of January so I know mine will come later. Has anyone received their scores back who took them in January 2012?

Hii,
Can anyone please tell how is Part 2 scored, like do we have to pass seperately for first day and seperate for second day or its just the combined of both they looking for us to pass that means out of 500..?

Please I am just hoping its together and not scored seperately..:confused:
Thanks

hows everyone studying ?
I started with Pros decks today and it is a lot of information. Wow! 172 . I am feeling dizzy.
Have to finish this soon.

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything about the 2012 scores. I just checked my mail and there were no scores today. I took mine at the end of January so I am expecting mine later than everyone else.

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything about the 2012 scores. I just checked my mail and there were no scores today. I took mine at the end of January so I am expecting mine later than everyone else.

Havent heard anything yet! Took it in 1st week of Jan!:sleep:

Oh finally they have started posting score reports from 27th! so another week guys.

Last edited:
Havent heard anything yet! Took it in 1st week of Jan!:sleep:

Oh finally they have started posting score reports from 27th! so another week guys.
Oh, so someone from the 27th of December has their scores? Well, it's been a long time coming. I pray that all of us have passed and can put this behind us!!!:xf: