NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I have taken Part 2 in 2007 and would like to retake it to improve my residency opportunities. I heard part 2 score reporting changed. Are the scores still given as individual subject score and percent idles with one cumulative final score? Please let me know.

Now its PASS /FAIL reporting only
scores are only given if someone fails the exam .i.e 75% or less
If u pass it, no numerical scores are given ...result says ..PASS thats it !
Good Luck :)

Now its PASS /FAIL reporting only
scores are only given if someone fails the exam .i.e 75% or less
If u pass it, no numerical scores are given ...result says ..PASS thats it !
Good Luck :)

Ok, does the score report state individual subject scores like eg : endodontics score, prosthodontics score etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any nbde 2 nmemonics, charts, or diagrams that are helpful pls share specially for people that passed nbde 2. Thanks

I finally pass this exam, I failed a couple of times, but I never gave up on my self, People, never give up, no mater what. My recommendation, read dental deck once or not at all. Know the Mosby from front to back, Tuff Pharmacology review and Tuff Pathology review. they where lots of questions of Patient Management, Oral Pathology and Periodontics. Those how said I couldn't do it, thanks, you pushed me harder to the brink. Now I'm a Board Certified Dentist. I'm so happy.

Congrats! your motivation is pretty amazing!

hey estheticdoc, have you given your exam can you share yr experience
what i read in this group it can take 2-3 weeks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
im reading decks as well for pharma l,i have read tufts pharm as well, are you guys reading both or just tifts ,,,,please guide..

can someone tell how much should u study pharma decks inside out or just superficial, i have read tufts pharma nicely but want to make sure i havent left anything from decks, do u guys recommend reading pharma decks?

Got my result.. I passed:)
hi doc76, can u please share ur experince of nbde2, how did u prepare , did u read tufts pharmacology or pharma from decks ???.please do reply.im studying pharma from the decksa and find there is so much information .do we need so much information in pharma to pass.???????anyone else who has passed please help ..thanks

Took Part 2 two weeks ago, go results a week later. IMO, Part 2 is easier than Part 1. The test is heavily biased towards endo and perio. All I used was decks and a few old asda exams.
hi johndeo, when u mean nbde2 is most perio and endo based., how much percentage of questions u think were on endo dontics and perio ???do reply

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my NBDE experience.
Took part 1 in May, 2013- passed. Than I started preparing for the part 2. I scheduled it in the end of October 2013. It took me 4,5 months to prepare. But I also work Monday-Thursday as a dental hygienist. So on a weekdays i was studying anywhere from 7 pm to 10-11 pm. And pretty much all day on Friday, Saturday with half-day on Sunday. But my study pattern is slow and I tend to take frequent breaks. Everybody's study style and memorization is different, so I suppose some people would require more time, while others will need less than that to prepare for the test.
For NBDE part 1 and 2 I studied the Dental Decks and released exams. For part 2 I went over the Decks one time, reading back and front of the cards and highlighting the important areas. The ordered reprints from the http://www.asdanet.org/store/nbde.aspx very helpful. I also went over the Tufts pharmacology review, Mosby's review (test questions) at the end of the chapters, and the Rudman's review questions. I also came across a nice app for the ipad called: "NBDE Party II Dental QBank". The app is free, but you can upgrade it for a $1 to include the explanations for the answers. There are a lot of Mosby's questions on that app too.

The exam itself seemed confusing to me, I was very unsure of how I did when I left the testing center. On the first day there were many questions that I marked. Seemed to me like they had many questions on ethics.
The second day was case-study, 100 questions. Again, I wasn't sure of my answers, some questions seemed tricky. Out of the 3,5 hrs that I had to complete that portion of the exam I think I spent only 2 hrs on it. I did not want to over-think the questions, so I went with my first answer and I did not go over the marked questions in the end like I always do.
My advice would be have good rest the night before the test, and take a headache medicine with you just in case.
Got my results six business days later! I passed!

Thanks to everyone to shares their experiences on this forum and good luck to everyone who is taking NBDE 1 and 2. Be confident in your knowledge. You can do it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

Took part 1 in May, 2013- passed. Than I started preparing for the part 2. I scheduled it in the end of October 2013. It took me 4,5 months to prepare. But I also work Monday-Thursday as a dental hygienist. So on a weekdays i was studying anywhere from 7 pm to 10-11 pm. And pretty much all day on Friday, Saturday with half-day on Sunday. But my study pattern is slow and I tend to take frequent breaks. Everybody's study style and memorization is different, so I suppose some people would require more time, while others will need less than that to prepare for the test.
For NBDE part 1 and 2 I studied the Dental Decks and released exams. For part 2 I went over the Decks one time, reading back and front of the cards and highlighting the important areas. The ordered reprints from the http://www.asdanet.org/store/nbde.aspx very helpful. I also went over the Tufts pharmacology review, Mosby's review (test questions) at the end of the chapters, and the Rudman's review questions. I also came across a nice app for the ipad called: "NBDE Party II Dental QBank". The app is free, but you can upgrade it for a $1 to include the explanations for the answers. There are a lot of Mosby's questions on that app too.

The exam itself seemed confusing to me, I was very unsure of how I did when I left the testing center. On the first day there were many questions that I marked. Seemed to me like they had many questions on ethics.
The second day was case-study, 100 questions. Again, I wasn't sure of my answers, some questions seemed tricky. Out of the 3,5 hrs that I had to complete that portion of the exam I think I spent only 2 hrs on it. I did not want to over-think the questions, so I went with my first answer and I did not go over the marked questions in the end like I always do.
My advice would be have good rest the night before the test, and take a headache medicine with you just in case.

Thanks to everyone to shares their experiences on this forum and good luck to everyone who is taking NBDE 1 and 2. Be confident in your knowledge. You can do it!

thanks ....

simple nursing has some pretty good videos for pharmacology that u can find on youtube..They supplement tufts pretty well..

Last edited:
hello guys,

I just got my result .. and it's fail at 3rd time in NBDE part II and i am about to be graduating in next year so what can i do? Do i have to wait 1 yr to apply for re test.

Please reply me.

tthanks for everyone who are helping each other for the nbde2 exams, guys im studying oral surgery-came across few questions regarding tmj dislocation in asda Lseries , arthroscopy of tmj, i cant get any info from the decks ABOUT THSES TOPICS , where should i study these topics from..??PLEASE REPLY

Hi guys,

That's great! Thanks! Do you by any chance have tufts pathology review?

hi..
i did my exam on 14,15 Feb 2014, and still waiting...
anyone did the exam recently ?
just want to know how long dose it take for the result?
and what about the raw score to pass these days!!

ineedthe tooth...hope it was a good news...
i am waiting..hope to receive it these days!!

tthanks for everyone who are helping each other for the nbde2 exams, guys im studying oral surgery-came across few questions regarding tmj dislocation in asda Lseries , arthroscopy of tmj, i cant get any info from the decks ABOUT THSES TOPICS , where should i study these topics from..??PLEASE REPLY
I had just one question about TMJ in a whole exam. Usual combination of symptoms of clicking, acute reduced opening. Do not waste your time on that. A lot of Q on children and adult behavior management - brain numbing, perio, endo -was good for me and straight forward. Surprisingly a lot of Q on syndromes with long names

Hello everyone!

Since I got a lot of help from this forum I'm giving back to it:) Here's my experience giving the crazy 12 hour long exam that is NBDE 2..

DAY 1: pretty straight forward questions.. had a LOT of DIRECT REPEATS from the current version of Mosby's, some from past ASDA papers and a lot of questions that got posted in the NBDE 2 facebook group.. if you arent a part of that group, i highly recommend it to you! its a real gem! people post their doubts and questions from past papers on it.. and id gotten into a habit of getting on it every 2-3 days and giving myself a lil pop quiz.. it was really helpful! (who knew facebook could come handy?lol).. a lot of questions from the little CD that comes with the mosby book also were on my exam! i did have some weird questions tho.. about some drug interactions which id never heard of.. i dont think i could have prepared for that even if i would have studied twice as hard as i did though..

DAY 2: weird.. i thought since there are only 100 qs to go thru in 3.5 hours i would half plenty of time to revise.. boy, was i wrong! u sit for like 15 minutes on each case! and by the end i was so short of time! i couldnt revise more than half of my marked questions.. and that for me was a bummer.. im usually the kind of student who answers the question even if im not sure and then mark it only to come bk to it later to think over it more.. i didnt get ANY time to do that at all today so that was bad..

they asked a lot of drug interactions again today.. i hate pharmac and im not very good at it.. so that was a bit sad.. i just hope i pass :(

TIMELINE of my studies:

2 months in total! jan + feb

jan: full decks once properly and mosby full

feb: tufts once and decks 2nd and 3rd revision properly, mosby CD, ASDA papers twice! and a lot of going over questions ppl would post on the aforementioned fb group!

day before the exam i was mostly relaxing.. didnt do too much serious studying coz i was a bit fed up after 2 months of hard core studies.. i did light reading and i made sure i went over decks for the 4th time before my exam...just flipped the cards basically.. ad went over the basic numerical formulae that come and eruption charts etc etc

IMP points:

1) i got a LOT of implant questions on the first day.. decks does NOT prepare u well for that.. i suggest going through some text books for implants..
2) i didnt get too much of ortho planning or pt management which everyone told me would come.. i was a bit disappointed with that:p i had prepared well for that!
3) got a lot of endo and radiographs related questions! let me tell u that the radiograph quality is BAD and i had to literally put my nose to the computer too see what radiolucency they are toking about! SYNDROMES- atleast 3-4 questions! very easy ones which decks has taken care of sufficiently! a lot of patho also.. Diff diag types.. make sure you know clinical presentation/histo path/dd etc.. i think oral patho/radio had the most weightage in my exam!

i hope this has helped soemone! i used 2 read a lot of the experiences ppl post on this group n that helped me organize my study! best of luck to all!

Reactions: 3 users
It is necessary to keep track of time.
First day 200 questions before break - 3.5 hours or 210 minutes, which give you 1 minute per question. I did have time to review questions, but not sure it is a good thing, generally the first answer is the best, unless you remembered something
Second day was a lot easier, 2min per question, no time for reading case information, xrays are horrible. Funny, me too stuck my nose close to the monitor to figure out what they actually want me to find on the xrays. You do not need extra training for the second day, the questions are similar to first day.
Anyway, if you want to study for the second day, do it before the first day - I wanted to review some cases after the first day, but was so drained, could not memorize anything

Congratulations Endo. I am apprearing for my exam in a few weeks and I have gone through dental decks twice, asda K-N, and board busters. But after reading this thread I feel like I should read patient management from Mosby, more perio and pharma (I still need to go through tufts) and ofcourse go through the ASDA Released again. Any suggestions on anything else I should cover? I also see on facebook a few files people upload showing recently remembered questions. Any others suggestions would really help and be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the ASDA Papers. Can somebody be kind enough to upload the soft copies! Would be highly obliged by the act! Thanks :)
congratulations to all those who cleared the part 2!

Congratulations Endo. I am apprearing for my exam in a few weeks and I have gone through dental decks twice, asda K-N, and board busters. But after reading this thread I feel like I should read patient management from Mosby, more perio and pharma (I still need to go through tufts) and ofcourse go through the ASDA Released again. Any suggestions on anything else I should cover? I also see on facebook a few files people upload showing recently remembered questions. Any others suggestions would really help and be greatly appreciated.

Guys any other suggestions would be really helpful :)