NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
studied for 2 weeks pretty much a couple hours a day after school. Solid score 91...5 months? C'mon....hope t'was the easy for most of you all too...otherwise...maybe another career? Beauty of dentistry...medicine + business...best of luck colleagues....

Dr. Who?

P.S. for those that recognize....so great.

jdub...so true...too true bud

BUSINESS........ha!!!!!!. Why Hippocrates did not mentioned about this one.
Way to go DMD1981.

Hi Can neone plz guide me thro the books we have to study for part 2.thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the results today. It took 2 weeks to get back. 364/500 with 70/100 for the clinical. This amounts to an 85. The national average for my test was 346 and 62.4 respectively (no final score is stated). Hope this info helps some.

Comp: 93

op 50/65
pharm 34/37
pros 51/61
surgery 43/53
ortho/ped 60/71
end 33/40
perio 51/61
path 44/55
pt man 41/57

total 403/500

(cases 74/100)

Used dental decks, (especially the back of the cards) and released exams for about a month and a half prior to testing.

I took part2 on 17.and 18 december and I don-t have any result from the board.Is somebody in the same situation?

yep me too! I took it the 17th and 18th and have no results yet. I have classmates who took it on the 16th and 17th and got their results on Dec. 27th! Must be a break for the holidays or we are just at the beginning of another group!

As we all know that from JAN 2010 NBDE part-1 and Part-2 will be one mega exam, but folks who had already passed NBDE-1 will only have to give NBDE-2 and not both exam as their score will not get void i mean they will have to pass only Part-2 there after.:thumbup:

I took part II Dec 19-20. Just received my scores today. Before I got my scores, I kept wondering nat'l average and so on...hope this helps:

Nat'l average (Raw) = 373
Raw score of 402 = 87

It seems that some of those complaining of failing with high raw scores, are also adding in their total from the "Case-Based Items." Totaling your score from all the other subjects (endo, oper, pharm, etc) will give you your raw score, out of 500 questions. The score under the "Case-Based Items," only is meant to give you insight into how you did on those questions, but you're "points" for these questions are counted under the appropriate subject (endo, oper, pharm, etc) score.

Failing = if your score is less (fewer points) than 2 standard deviations from the national average score.

Failing for the 2006 boards was a raw score less than ~59% (295 Raw Score).

Hope this helps.

Btw...these boards are not nearly as bad as some make them out to be. I studied for about 1 month for part 1 and scored 90. I studied a little less than a week for part 2 and scored 87. I studied by going through the dental decks one time (pretty rapidly), and I went through my oral path class notes one time. That's it. No mosby's or anything else. You've been in school for almost 4 years. Either you know the information or you don't. Studying only refreshes your memory, it doesn't teach you anything new.

Good Luck!!

Last note: remember that all tests are different. As noted above, Tofflemire scored 403/500 and got 93. I scored 402/500 and got 87. His test was harder than mine.

1. Nobody should dare to take NBDE part II unless you've read Mosby 5 times, Dental decks 3 times, released exams (93 and 03) 5 times (make sure to memorize all the answers), unreleased exams (04-08) twice (you'll see alot of similar or same questions), Oral pathology books with pictures at least once for 3 months.

2. Keep in mind that only 30 percent of the 2nd timers pass Part 2 as ADA won't give you any curve for the 2nd timers. That's why most 2nd time examees end up getting 74.

3. Don't take the exam just to see what it's like. If you don't pass first time, your chance of passing will decrease substantially. In other words, don't take the exam unless you're ready to ace the exam.

4. Don't listen to those liars who claim to have passed the exam with only one week of studying.

5. Read this post again, go to the library and start studying.

Everybody loves "Single Mom DDS"

As we all know that from JAN 2010 NBDE part-1 and Part-2 will be one mega exam, but folks who had already passed NBDE-1 will only have to give NBDE-2 and not both exam as their score will not get void i mean they will have to pass only Part-2 there after.:thumbup:

Took DEC 22, 23. Got back 16 JAN. Under two weeks studying. Just concentrated on high value stuff. Didn't even waste time studying Pharm b/c I can't remember the drugs anyway. 383/500 for an 89 comp score. I am at the bottom 1/4 of my class rank through 3.5 yrs. This is not a tough exam. Just think the questions through and narrow it down the best you can. You should know 60% without studying. I don't think I could have done much better with studying much more. Studied Mosby's Pedo, Endo, Perio and bold lettered Decks. The ones I didn't know were questions that weren't really covered in what I studied. Don't sweat the exam too much. Just prepare as much as you feel confident with. I don't know of anyone at my school under an 80 comp.

Just got my nbde part 2 score back, 87.

Took the board on Dec 29-30. First day was not bad at all, some interesting questions but doable. The second day was a PAIN IN THE @$$! Took me all 3.5 hours. Just make sure you get plenty of rest after the first day and DO NOT STUDY! It won't help. Extra 4-5 hours of cramming is useless if have not learned anything prior to that day! Just go home and RELAX!

I studied 2 wks, 5-6 hs/ day and did nothing the day before exam. Used Mosby, FirstAid and Dental Decks. Went over Decks twice and selected sections of Mosby and FirstAid twice because I felt I was weak with pedo/ortho section.

Took the exam on 12/22 and 12/23, received the scores on 1/17. I scanned my scores and had to move them around a little to fit the 400x400 dimensions... I think it adds up to a raw score of 425/500 which came out to a Cumulative score of 92. I read Mosby's and did most of the dental decks (and when I say I did the dental decks I mean I actually studied the backs of the cards) and Tufts pharm review... although I was clearly weak in pharm. The released exams were very helpful, especially the '93 exam which has the reasons for the answers.
b.JPG

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I took part 2 jan 7th and 8th.
I know its too soon for the results. But i know some people got their results in a week.
anyone took it in Jan 7th and 8th??

Hi, guys, which is better you think? Mosby part 2 or first aid? I used first aid for part 1, but i have no idea if first aid is also OK for part 2. anyone can throw some light on this? thax

Hi, guys, which is better you think? Mosby part 2 or first aid? I used first aid for part 1, but i have no idea if first aid is also OK for part 2. anyone can throw some light on this? thax

I used both. Mosby is a lot more detailed, but first aid has good pedo section.

congrats on u r achievement,

I am a FTD plannig to take part 2 soon. pls can u guide me on how to study.. currentlyl doing decks n few textbooks... help appriceated.

Took the exam on 12/22 and 12/23, received the scores on 1/17. I scanned my scores and had to move them around a little to fit the 400x400 dimensions... I think it adds up to a raw score of 425/500 which came out to a Cumulative score of 92. I read Mosby's and did most of the dental decks (and when I say I did the dental decks I mean I actually studied the backs of the cards) and Tufts pharm review... although I was clearly weak in pharm. The released exams were very helpful, especially the '93 exam which has the reasons for the answers.
View attachment 11789

View attachment 11789

Hello Dr.

Following is my score and I failed scored 69 only

Endo 38 23 30.0
Perio 58 31 43.1
Oral Path/Radio 60 23 44.3
Patient Management 58 36 43.4
Case based 100 45 75.6

Operative 63 32 48.2
Pharma 38 16 27.9
Prostho 60 29 44.3
Oral sur/Pain. 53 32 40.2
Ortho/Pediatric 72 40 52.3

Can any one please explain how they calculate the composite score?

Thanks

Janeti

The 3 columns of numbers beside each subject are the number of questions in that section asked, the number you got right, then the national average (other students). Example Endo section on your test was 38 (questions asked), 23 (you got right), 30 (national average other students got).

To figure out your composite score just add the number you got right, BUT DO NOT add in the case based score. It is already been broken down and applied to your individual sections. Your raw score is a 262/500. From the information you have given on your test that reflects as a 69 Comp score.

As far as things for studying I just used Dental Decks and The First Aid text. I looked through Mosby's and thought it was way too general, I guess its differs b/t people. Day 1 is pretty straight forward if you know the decks you will breeze through it. Day 2 though is just a battle... you vs. the xrays. I got frustrated with the poor quality and just flew through it and finished in just under an hour. I didnt do well scoring a 70/100 for my case based, so dont do what I did. Take your time, take breaks , leave the room for water. Do whatever, just dont let it get the best of you =)

Last edited:
I have heard from my friend who did not pass his part-2 a couple of time and from his talk it seems like your first attempt is your best chance to clear with good score as it become quit difficult with your second and third and so on ,,, coz board will increase the difficulty of question in each section ..........and to my surprise you wont fine that Q's in dental deck ,,,some r quit straight forward but you know what i mean. would you like to share who has given this exam many time as to how they felt with this pattern. Thanks much.:thumbup:

Janeti

The 3 columns of numbers beside each subject are the number of questions in that section asked, the number you got right, then the national average (other students). Example Endo section on your test was 38 (questions asked), 23 (you got right), 30 (national average other students got).

To figure out your composite score just add the number you got right, BUT DO NOT add in the case based score. It is already been broken down and applied to your individual sections. Your raw score is a 262/500. From the information you have given on your test that reflects as a 69 Comp score.

As far as things for studying I just used Dental Decks and The First Aid text. I looked through Mosby's and thought it was way too general, I guess its differs b/t people. Day 1 is pretty straight forward if you know the decks you will breeze through it. Day 2 though is just a battle... you vs. the xrays. I got frustrated with the poor quality and just flew through it and finished in just under an hour. I didnt do well scoring a 70/100 for my case based, so dont do what I did. Take your time, take breaks , leave the room for water. Do whatever, just dont let it get the best of you =)

Thanks Dr.
For your time and advice.

Hi guys,
can you guys let the test taker know the raw score i,e # of Q needed to be write in order to get 75 percentile in NBDE-2. It might help many. :thumbup:

Hi guys,
can you guys let the test taker know the raw score i,e # of Q needed to be write in order to get 75 percentile in NBDE-2. It might help many. :thumbup:

You need to read higher up on this page. There is no magic number correct- it changes on every exam based on the difficulty of the questions and how others performed.

Got 424/500 = 91%

Took it January 2nd and 3rd. Used Decks + Released Exams from ASDA + Mosby/First Aid some. To me Mosby is the best text if you can stomach it. First Aid is good for random facts in the margins and decks were just ok overall. Released exams as always are a must.

378/500 = 83 took it on Jan 12

Went through decks once and 93' exam. This exam is designed so that it is not hard to pass, but difficult to get a high score. I studied for about 2.5weeks.

371/500 = 86

Studied for 10 days. Read Mosby's cover to cover and did all the old exams I could do.

Comp: 93

op 50/65
pharm 34/37
pros 51/61
surgery 43/53
ortho/ped 60/71
end 33/40
perio 51/61
path 44/55
pt man 41/57

total 403/500

(cases 74/100)

Used dental decks, (especially the back of the cards) and released exams for about a month and a half prior to testing.
Hey Tofflemire..congrats on such a great score. Can u tell me how clear are the x rays on the exam..I mean r they clear enought to make diagnosis?

dont worry....you ll pass. when i came out after day 2 i thought all the effort has gone wasted.....felt as if i had hardly gotten 20 right on day 2! one is totally exhausted after day 2....
you ll pass and graduate.....if i hadnt passed, i wouldnt have even had the chance to enter dental school for avanced standing:oops:

Would anyone tell exactly how is this part 2 exam really is?. Is it true that the first day is 400 questions and the next day 200? how many questions of each subject are there given? Is it true the best way to prepare is with the dental decks and mosby and the released questions? I need to prepare and take this final exam in about 2 months? how many hours a day do you suggest to study? and these pharmacology drugs how will I remember them all is it really necesary to KNOW them all?
what's the key to crack this computer based exam? Any tips for the day before the exam? I read somewhere that the exam is about stamina, what do you suggest for people who suffer from insomnia? specially when they know they have to take a major test?
Sincere thanks!

Day one is 400 questions of just random things in no set order. Day 2 is 100 case based questions. The xrays are horrible! So horrible that the Dean of our school has gotten emails from other Deans asking if their students are complaining about them as well. I guess they are considering writing a letter to the Joint Commission regarding them. However, just remember everyone else is taking them looking at the same xrays and passing. The key is just do the best you can and finish with the pack. If a person put in 100 hours studying the decks, Mosby's, and old exams ( I only got 5 repeat questions out of the 1600 I studied) they should do well (mid 80's). People that score in the 90's study a little harder or retain a lot more from their dental school classes.

I did decks once, q bank, old exams, tufts book for pharm.

I added everything up it comes to 421 which seems to high for an 84.

I got 62/100 on the cases...

I just re-took Part II in January 2009 for the second time and I made 72 then 74...!:( I studied the decks, released exams, Kap, first aid…. I am not sure what I am doing wrong!!! Day 2 was particularly rough for me…I am terrified to take it for the third time and get the same score. Does anyone know if any schools offer remediation class? Please tell me what I need to do different this time…thanks! [email protected]

Also, did anyone used "crack the nbde software"? was it helpful? as i am planning to order it.

thanks!

I just re-took Part II in January 2009 for the second time and I made 72 then 74...!:( I studied the decks, released exams, Kap, first aid…. I am not sure what I am doing wrong!!! Day 2 was particularly rough for me…I am terrified to take it for the third time and get the same score. Does anyone know if any schools offer remediation class? Please tell me what I need to do different this time…thanks! [email protected]

When did you take them? I'm waiting for scores and I'm curious how long it is taking.

I did decks once, q bank, old exams, tufts book for pharm.

I added everything up it comes to 421 which seems to high for an 84.

I got 62/100 on the cases...

Hi Dental916, congratulation for your good score. Do you like to sell your tufts book for pharm to me? Thanks!

Best wishes!

Mapleh

Comp: 77 :)

op 49/63
pharm 20/38
pros 43/60
surgery 35/53
ortho/ped 42/72
end 23/38
perio 38/58
path 43/60
pt man 37/58

total 330/500

(cases 51/100)

Went through the decks once and didn't study pharmacology.

Based on the chart on the back of the sheet...
9.5% of test takers get below 75 (fail)

If you are just trying to pass the test...don't over study. Most of the information on the exam is learned in dental school anyway.

Comp Score: 80

Total: 355/500
Cases: 63/100

I studied probably 2-3 days total, not counting the half-hearted couple of hours I tried to log in starting a week before the test. I skimmed the decks once, skipping the pharmacology section, and glanced quickly over an old test. I've done really well in my dental school classes, though, so maybe that helped some. Basically, it's an easy test if you've paid attention in school.

Comp Score 84

381/500
71/100

50 hours of very good studying. Went through Mosby once, decks once, and kaplan online questions.

Online kaplan questions (not the book) is near identical. I had a 75% avg in Kaplan and got a 75% avg on the real thing.

I think if all you did was Mosby and Kaplan questions, you are more than set! Like it was mentioned, you know all the info from school anway and are now just reviewing.

Can anyone tell me what is a surgical stent? anyone who went to school here who might want to shate their notes from class with me! I would be very thankful. I remember reading about this in school a long time ago but don't remember.
thanks!!

Last edited:
Congrats to all who've passed! It was due to your preparation! I have read almost all the posts on here but still have a few questions.

# 1 -- I noticed Dental Secrets was mentioned a few times. I've never heard of it until now. I was wondering what people who've passed thought of that book. I am thinking of ordering it.

#2 -- I've also never heard of this before and would like input on if it's true or not from single mom dds's post: "Keep in mind that only 30 percent of the 2nd timers pass Part 2 as ADA won't give you any curve for the 2nd timers. That's why most 2nd time examees end up getting 74. "

#3 -- Was Kaplan books worth it? I hadn't even considered Kaplan yet.

Thanks for your help!! It's hard to evaluate all these posts and figure out what materials to use.

I just got my scores back last week.. i took it end of january.
comp:76
day two 65/100..

I seriously thought i failed the part two becasue a. it was an overall difficult test, but b. I second guessed myself on the second half of day one and literally changed like 30 answers to wrong ones... so on day two after taking the exam once thru i just left.. and thats my advice to future takers! no second guessing go w/ gut feeling.... and pray HARD :D

also i studied 3-4 weeks in b/w and after clinic hrs.. really give yourselves a good solid month in a half is my opinion cuz i couldve used another week or two to run thru old exams, review, etc............and really that should be enough in my opinion....

Good luck folks~

I just got my scores back last week.. i took it end of january.
comp:76
day two 65/100..

I seriously thought i failed the part two becasue a. it was an overall difficult test, but b. I second guessed myself on the second half of day one and literally changed like 30 answers to wrong ones... so on day two after taking the exam once thru i just left.. and thats my advice to future takers! no second guessing go w/ gut feeling.... and pray HARD :D

also i studied 3-4 weeks in b/w and after clinic hrs.. really give yourselves a good solid month in a half is my opinion cuz i couldve used another week or two to run thru old exams, review, etc............and really that should be enough in my opinion....

what was your total answer correct on day one or both out of 500 Q .thanks

Hi ,
I appeared form part 2 in the last week . received my result i got 79% of the questions right but still my comp score is 79. Has there been any change in scoring pattern ? any help appreciated.

...please let me know if 2 months is long enough to study full-time?

signed up for the end of april: doing first aid this week, decks and mosby's simultaneously starting end of next week, then questions only for at least the last 3 weeks (hopefully).

im not looking to just pass, i want to do WELL. i have at least 8 hours available 6 days a week... any suggestions for what to concentrate on, study schedule, etc?
ANY advice would be appreciated!!!

hey everyone,

i took the part 2 at the end of first week of feb..and got my scores yday.. i passed with a comp score of 86
total: 370/500
it was a tough exam for me esp day 2...
i have still not started school over there as yet... I secured admission at Boston Univ starting this july with my part 1 score but i decided to take part 2 anyways...
this forum has helped me and its payback time for me...
1)its not impossible for FTDs to pass this exam before staring school there, the first day tests yr knowledge on individual subjects so if u have read yr text books in dental school u shud do just fine...
2) the second day is tough cause their treatment planning differs, the x rays are ok, the photos decent, just need to be attentive... the day 2 100 qs r difficult than the 400 u take on the first day, they were atleast for me.
3) i feel unlucky to get 56 qs on patient management..most of them ethics based.. i dont know from where can u read up for this...

anyways.. overall not a very difficult exam.. i studied for 1 month properly putting in almost 8-10 hrs daily. i had finished reading the decks once before tho. I read the decks thrice, kaplan and first aid once, papers once.
I think decks and papers are a must. Pls dont avoid them.
i will try and come to the forum often to c if u guys have any queries.
hope this helps... all the best

Really confused cause I see that people have gotten their results after I took my Part 2 exam.. It's been over 4 weeks I'm getting really worked up here. I've read about a black-out what exactly does that mean? & is that the reason I haven't received my score..

Thanks for your Replys..

Hi, i am yet to give my part2 and getting worried looking at how much iam scoring at previous exams. How was each of u performing during ur preparation for the exam?