NBDE new result reports and school selection criteria.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the2thdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

In reading the latest news about the NBDE I noticed that scores are no longer reported as numeric values but only as PASS or FAIL. Personally I feel this is a good move. It seems to me that too much emphasis was placed on NBDE scores in the past and other qualities candidates possessed were often overlooked.

For those who have experience with this how will dental schools select their candidates now that NBDE scores are not reported ? What criteria are they likely to use in their selection process ?

I have applied to two dental schools in the past but haven't been selected due to my NBDE scores (at least this is the explanation I was given for not being invited for an interview). My scores were 79 and 82 respectively. I was told to take the NBDE tests again to improve my scores by one of the dental schools' admissions official. But considering the recent change should this make any difference ? In other words, since other candidates and schools will not have access to the NBDE scores does it make any different if my scores stay the same since the schools will not have the ability to compare them against those of other candidates ?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.