NBEO board certification. Is this in competition to the ABO and the AOA Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The NBEO just came out with their board certification process, etc........
They have their own rules and regulations to take their board exam and subsequent requirements for maintenance. What is this all about and how will the ABO Board of directors who fought hard to get their board certification nationwide affect them or each individual OD?

Any input be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The NBEO just came out with their board certification process, etc........
They have their own rules and regulations to take their board exam and subsequent requirements for maintenance. What is this all about and how will the ABO Board of directors who fought hard to get their board certification nationwide affect them or each individual OD?

Any input be appreciated.
I didn't see anything on their website. Do you have a link to a press release or anything like that?

I see the development of BC in optometry to be similar to our development as a profession as a whole. We developed our OD degree into what it is today through increasing educational requirements. We instituted National Board exams, residencies, specialties recognized by the Academy, attained hospital staff privileges, etc. BC is a logical next step.

In most other professions today, with prescriptive authority, BC exists as a method of ensuring ongoing learning with an exam. i.e. MOC. If you were an eyecare consumer, would you rather be treated by a practitioner that had ongoing learning and testing every 10 years, or by someone who passed a test 35 years ago, and was required to do nothing but sit in the back of a CE class and read the newspaper?

Sorry to be blunt, but ODs that rail against BC need to grow up and play with the big dogs.

The NBEO version of BC seems to be credible. Time will tell. It does not yet have CMS approval as a valid means for its incentive programs.

I'm totally confused (and have been practicing for over 15 years).

The AOA has a Board Certification Course. (Now called the ABO, I think???)

The AOS has a Board Certification Course.

Now, the NBEO has a Board Certification Course.

OMG!!!!!!

I would bet that the state boards will place heavy weight on the NBEO. I perused their website and didn't find a study guide or anything. So ... how in-depth is it?

I would like a study guide, personally.

I haven't started my board certification stuff yet because there's just so many entities offering courses and I'm confused. Seriously. I'm waiting for Father Time to solve the problem ... says the wise old OD. HA

Leaning towards NBEO, to be honest. It's less expensive.