NBEO Study Guides

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MariaMaria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm one of those people that likes to know things way in advance so I wanted to ask a few questions about the NBEO tests.

For the first part is there a particular book or study guide that helps you prepare for this. I obviously know that you will study from your notes in class but I wanted to know what else, if anything is out there to aid you in studying.

And I guess the same question applies to the 2nd and 3rd part of the exam.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello maria,

I know this has been quite sometime, but did you actually took the exams? I am preparing the test myself so was wondering if we can help each other out.

Hey all,

I'm one of those people that likes to know things way in advance so I wanted to ask a few questions about the NBEO tests.

For the first part is there a particular book or study guide that helps you prepare for this. I obviously know that you will study from your notes in class but I wanted to know what else, if anything is out there to aid you in studying.

Thanks!

See The Berkely Guide: http://spectacle.berkeley.edu/opt_txtpp/student_life/ucosa/studyguide.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than Berkeley, what other study guides are there for part 1?
has anyone taken the new part? any feedback?
plan on taking it in August.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

KMK guide was updated most recently, unfortunately pt I is kind of a moving target right now. Mar 09 was too easy so they are tweaking it again for this upcoming administration

I believe there is an SCCO guide as well, not sure how relevant it is to current format of pt I
Berkley guide was updated recently. a little more dense than KMK

I notice you all are selling these study guides, but which ones did you all find most beneficial and relevant towards the nbeo part I? Why would you pick one over the other? These review books and course such as the Berkly study guide, and KMK course is that enough to prepare or do you need to go through old notes? Thanks, I'd appreciate the input.

KMK was wonderful. The online flashcards and quizzes really helped me to solidify the information that I had learned. I did actually order the Berkeley guide first, but quickly realized that I couldn't spend hours reading it. The formatting of KMK is much easier to read. I do think that you still need to supplement some areas of KMK, such as optics & bino vision, but overall, it was great!

You don't necessarily need any of those expensive review materials. The best review materials are your own notes compiled from all of your classes. There is nothing new and profound you can garner from the KMK or Berkeley review books, et al. The one nice thing about them is that they are very concise and it is great to have everything relatively organized for you. I used the KMK review book but found it severely lacking in depth - I used my own notes to expand greatly upon their review. The KMK book also did not have a very good review of Optics and found my notes and the review notes prepared by our Optics professors to be far superior. To each their own.

Has anyone heard about a large set of flash cards for review of the board exams?
They are known as Eye Q Flash cards and come in a set of 1400 cards.

Are they helpful?
Anyone have them available for sale?
If so, send me a private message (PM) on here.

I think between these 3 sources in this order...they nailed this last exam (though there was some minutia that i dont think could have been easily found in any of these sources)

optoprep.com
KMK (especially the flash cards and tips of the day)
berkley to supplement (for the trickier physio and pharm questions)

obviously your class notes should be excellent too.

I think buttermans was beyond the scope of the test on many things...while still decently good. If you can answer the questions in this text without any problem, you should be plenty fine on the date of the test

Hey all,

Thanks!

K.M.K. was (for me) an utter waste of money and of time. (I made no acquaintance with OptoPrep.)

Best of luck.

:confused:I am just wondering if anyone out there is an optometrist from another country other than USA planning to write NBEO. I enrolled in part 1 NBEO may be looking for study group which I think will help a lot. email me if interested email me at [email protected]

hello all,
Was wondering if anyone had the KMK books for part 2 that they are willing to sell? I'm poor a student that is trying to save some money. =) Thanks!

Anyone has used KMK for sale please??