NBME 11 Prosthetic valve question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckiestOne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3100/74196081.png

I never really looked into prosthetic valves and how they look like on X ray so I had no idea. I had initially chosen Tricuspid solely because of the fact that it was on the left side of the sternum but I thought that I remember that where we listen for the valve sound isn't where the valves are actually located...

So I second guessed myself and picked mitral valve because it seemed like it could be there....

What is the correct answer here (not mitral, I got it wrong :() and why are there two pieces of apparatus in there? What are they for?

If you could provide anything else you know about prosthetic valves or general anatomy of the heart, it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3100/74196081.png

I never really looked into prosthetic valves and how they look like on X ray so I had no idea. I had initially chosen Tricuspid solely because of the fact that it was on the left side of the sternum but I thought that I remember that where we listen for the valve sound isn't where the valves are actually located...

So I second guessed myself and picked mitral valve because it seemed like it could be there....

What is the correct answer here (not mitral, I got it wrong :() and why are there two pieces of apparatus in there? What are they for?

If you could provide anything else you know about prosthetic valves or general anatomy of the heart, it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks so much!

It's tricuspid. Remember "APT M"

It's tricuspid. Remember "APT M"

I don't think the valves are where they are heard. You don't think mitral valve is actually located at the Apex, do you? It just is best heard there.

I think the answer is Tricuspid valve. Can anyone explain why there are two apparatus in there?